So why was Leonard Johnson not resigned?

I thought he played very well last year matched up against large WRs like Julo Jones (Jones tried to out muscle him like he normally does CBs and he was the one who did not return after halftime).  I have posted comments on other threads on this but not much discussion.

Even Sulky Sal agrees he played well.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/04/30/buffalo-bills-2018-nfl-draft-josh-allen-tremaine-edmunds-harrison-phillips/564975002/

The Bills apparently aren’t going to re-sign Leonard Johnson, who played so well for them in 2017 at the nickel cornerback spot. The previous few years, Nickell Robey-Coleman manned that spot quite capably, so this is a big pick for the Bills.

He was one of coach McD's boys following to play for him here and I have not heard of one interview he has had and I have been looking for it.  I assumed that he was going to be signed for a one year deal and they already had an agreement in place with him signing later giving Bills more cap flexibility but apparently not.

I may be on the minority but felt that he was a total JAG. He was the guy that always got picked on in big situations . He was nowhere near the player that NRC was. Johnson wasn’t horrible but was totally expendable. The Bills tried to upgrade at a lower price. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I may be on the minority but felt that he was a total JAG. He was the guy that always got picked on in big situations . He was nowhere near the player that NRC was. Johnson wasn’t horrible but was totally expendable. The Bills tried to upgrade at a lower price. 

So he was resigned when they let his contract expire without bringing him back. :lol:

25 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I thought he played very well last year matched up against large WRs like Julo Jones (Jones tried to out muscle him like he normally does CBs and he was the one who did not return after halftime).  I have posted comments on other threads on this but not much discussion.

Even Sulky Sal agrees he played well.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/04/30/buffalo-bills-2018-nfl-draft-josh-allen-tremaine-edmunds-harrison-phillips/564975002/

He was one of coach McD's boys following to play for him here and I have not heard of one interview he has had and I have been looking for it.  I assumed that he was going to be signed for a one year deal and they already had an agreement in place with him signing later giving Bills more cap flexibility but apparently not.

You want the REAL reason Johnson was cut? It's because I went and put his name on my old Terrence McGee jersey. That's why. :angry:

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 4

Johnson was signed to be a player/mentor for last season given that he's a veteran with experience in McDermott's system. They paid him to play and to help all the newcomers catch on. Now that the core secondary players have a season down with this system they can help any rookies/new signings coming in. 

They also likely felt like they could upgrade, they're very much in tune with that facet of team building. Not many players on this roster have a predetermined spot as they really seem to emphasize on competition rather than starting the guy who knows your system and is one of "your boys" but can't really perform in it anymore (see Ryan, Rex). 

I read up on the new Johnson kid and the other DB they took, Neal. Both of them have the requisite McBeane combination of skills, character and experience plus versatility on the field. 

If these picks work out, Edmunds, Phillips, etc., they're gonna be a fun group to watch. Looks like McD's vision is speed, versatility and high motor and if it all comes together they have a shot to be pretty good. 

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes exactly.  JAG is right.  I though he play ok and had a few big hits but he didn’t really distinguish himself and never played at the level as NRC a few years. 

If you could sum up Leonard Johnson’s season in 1 play, it would be against the New York Jets.  The Jets were driving and Leonard made a great read on McCown.  The ball hit him in the hands perfectly and...he dropped it.  I think the Jets only got a FG out of the drive, but an INT there could have been a pivotal moment in that game, early.  

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

While I do agree with this I think other than his rookie year NRC was JAG too. I am confused as to why Johnson wasn't brought back only to bring in Phillip Gaines.  If Taron ends up as the starting nickel I would hope Gaines gets cut.  

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I do agree with this I think other than his rookie year NRC was JAG too. I am confused as to why Johnson wasn't brought back only to bring in Phillip Gaines.  If Taron ends up as the starting nickel I would hope Gaines gets cut.  

Maybe... the difference is scheme.  McDermott’s scheme is ideal for Johnson.  Rex Ryan’s defense was not idea for NRC.  There’s a big difference in his play in LA last year than in 2015 or 2016.

41 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Maybe... the difference is scheme.  McDermott’s scheme is ideal for Johnson.  Rex Ryan’s defense was not idea for NRC.  There’s a big difference in his play in LA last year than in 2015 or 2016.

Agreed.  I do think Bills fans tended to overrate NRC though.  

Edited by GunnerBill

Personally, I'd like to re-sign hm for vet minimum.

Either way, with:

Tre'Davious White
Vontae Davis
Taron Johnson
Philip Gaines
Levi Wallace
Ryan Carter
Siran Neal (S/CB)

Things are looking up at the position.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I hope so. I thought he was very effective.

He was effective at tackling the receiver he failed to cover.  Good tackler, bad at covering.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:33 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree - - he was average at best and this staff doesn't want AVERAGE!

this is probably about right. i think they may have wanted to go younger, faster, and cheaper here. and the guys they still have on the back end seem to have a good chemistry and plenty of veteran presence and leadership. 

yep. simple.

kid could hit though

On 5/1/2018 at 11:15 AM, GunnerBill said:

NRC after Schwartz was not same ball hawk and surprisingly good solid tackler. He would have done well with McD i might guess.

I actually like Taron Johnson to win the slot job.  I think they want youth in that secondary.  I believe they want to create a Legion of Boom or Jackson 5.  One of those great secondary's that is given a name.  They want this defense top 5 for a long time and how you do that is by bringing in a lot of young talented players.  A veteran like Leonard is a nice cork to fill the hole until you find a really nice slot corner.  I liked Leonard Johnson but they want this secondary to be great and he just isn't quite that.

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I actually like Taron Johnson to win the slot job.  I think they want youth in that secondary.  I believe they want to create a Legion of Boom or Jackson 5.  One of those great secondary's that is given a name.  They want this defense top 5 for a long time and how you do that is by bringing in a lot of young talented players.  A veteran like Leonard is a nice cork to fill the hole until you find a really nice slot corner.  I liked Leonard Johnson but they want this secondary to be great and he just isn't quite that.

This is a good mantra to follow for now. Like Gaines they he helped them play as a team. I think the system is up and running on it's own on Defense. Well i think McD's moves in the secondary suggest that actually. hell if i know. wild guess really.

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

This is a good mantra to follow for now. Like Gaines they he helped them play as a team. I think the system is up and running on it's own on Defense. Well i think McD's moves in the secondary suggest that actually. hell if i know. wild guess really.

Teams are using slot receivers a lot more and the Patriots definitely use them.  Slot corners are really important in today's game.