Do You Wear a Watch?

RaoulDuke79

I've always been a watch guy since before i was a teenager. I used to have a Casio calculator watch and then the early Timex Ironman watch. Once I got to highschool, I wore a Gruen that one of my buddies lifted from somewhere. Since then I've only had Citizens. They are a decent watch for a reasonable price. My mother in-law used to work for Swatch and gave me a nice Rado when my wife and I first started dating. I love some of the Breitlings and Tag Heurs, but I cant justify paying that much. Also dont like a huge bulky watch. From what i  gather most people wear the fit bits or dont wear watches at all because of cell phones, but I like having an old school watch.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Not these days, although I did up until about 3 years ago. I too have fallen into the habit of pulling out my cell phone to see the time.  My husband abandoned his watch a good 10-12 years ago.

However, my son likes to wear a watch.  He'd also like to "borrow" Hubby's abandoned one (it is a nice one). We shall see.  Hubby's making noises that he may give it to him soon.

Timex Ironman's for me, for at least 30 years now. I can usually get them to last around 10 years, only changing bands and batteries. 

My brother and his wife recently got the Fossil Hybrid Smart Watch, and I may consider one once my current watch dies....

https://www.fossil.com/us/en/wearable-technology/smartwatches/hybrid-smartwatches.html

I have a buddy whos in the military who got a Rolex. He said the reason is because no matter where in the world you are, everyone recognizes the name and you can trade it for things.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Not at home, but it's on when I leave the house.

I have a Bulova that I wear most of the time and a $20 Casio when I don't want the Bulova to get beaten up (fishing, skiing, heavy drinking...). The wedding ring and Casio are rarely on at the same time.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Was never a watch guy at all my whole life until I got to my 30's then I decided it was time to become more adult like and went out and got myself a watch haha

lol....I'm the opposite.  Usually wore one back in my 20s and 30s, even bought a nice Tag at one point.  But now most of the time I can't be bothered.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I’ve owned nice ones and cheap ones.  

The problem is at times I wore my nice one at work and scuffed it up.   

Then it sits it’s in a drawer unused.   

Times digital is my norm 

That's my problem. I wear mine from the time i get up until I go to bed. I bang it up at work and when Im doing stuff around the house. That's another reason I'm not going all out.

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

I have my Seiko "self winding" divers watch that I've been wearing for the past 12+ years.

Great look, solid build.

I'm on my second Seiko in thirty years.  I've spent a total of $400 on watches in that time.

My wife spends $40 on a new watch every year, because she buys $40 watches that break every year.

Cheap is expensive.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Timex Ironman's for me, for at least 30 years now. I can usually get them to last around 10 years, only changing bands and batteries. 

Hah..that's what I wear everyday..in fact never take it off.I actually started wearing one when I  started training for an Ironman!

I also have a really nice Rolex..wife bought it for her father on his 50th birthday, he died at 52, so she wanted me to have it. He has been dead close to 16 years, I have worn the watch maybe twice.

I gave up my daily watch days when I left banking. Still wear one of my two nice watches for nice events. The phone is the clock that never lies. 

My wife has some interesting stats about younger generations who have watches, but purely as decoration. 

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

I gave up my daily watch days when I left banking. Still wear one of my two nice watches for nice events. The phone is the clock that never lies. 

My wife has some interesting stats about younger generations who have watches, but purely as decoration. 

The clocks in almost every room of my home never lie either.Invest in gold..don't showcase it .

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

The clocks in almost every room of my home never lie either.Invest in gold..don't showcase it .

There’s nothing more accurate than the satellite time on your phone. My bedroom clock and my car clock and my kitchen/microwave can all be off a minute or two.

Investing is another category all together. Agreed, I’m not a showcase guy. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

There’s nothing more accurate than the satellite time on your phone. My bedroom clock and my car clock and my kitchen/microwave can all be off a minute or two.

I would bet 100 bucks (american)...you do not have any tattoos?

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

I would bet 100 bucks (american)...you do not have any tattoos?

I don’t know why I find that so hysterical!  Fabulously hysterical! I have zero tattoos. I’m not sure what socks I wil wear tomorrow. My oldest son was covered in tattoos, and while we were disappointed,  I thought no less of him for it. When good, he was my favorite person ever. He actually came to regret that phase, but each person has their own path. His younger brother is getting very close to a girl with “a few” tattoos“. She’s awesome! I try to respect the path each person chooses in life, as I think you know. God bless. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t know why I find that so hysterical!  Fabulously hysterical! I have zero tattoos. I’m not sure what socks I wil wear tomorrow. My oldest son was covered in tattoos, and while we were disappointed,  I thought no less of him for it. When good, he was my favorite person ever. He actually came to regret that phase, but each person has their own path. His younger brother is getting very close to a girl with “a few” tattoos“. She’s awesome! I try to respect the path each person chooses in life, as I think you know. God bless. 

So you admit to wearing socks every day? The pieces to the Augie puzzle start to take shape. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

So you admit to wearing socks every day? The pieces to the Augie puzzle start to take shape. 

I may have my no socks days, but you just might have a long wait ahead of you...

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

accurate time, so one can catch the city bus on time in order to punch in to their shift on time?

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

Our nug is semi loaded in ink...I guess that's his way of showing he's a warrior,of sorts.His mother,my bride ,really dislikes "them",I could care less.And talking about socks....if it wasn't for my gal,I probably wouldn't bother to shower and,or,change my boxers everday. Love the ones you want to hug the most. I can say,with a full heart,if it wasn't for her...I would have already been in the Lord's place called paradise city.

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Socks, tats, wristwatches...however you roll, I'm sure you do Augie exceedingly well.

I respect him more than you know.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Got a Citizen solar-powered, atomic time watch.  Love it.  Don't need to wind, move it or replace a battery, or set the time.

I've got one of those.  It's OK.  Also 3 Seikos.  I get irritated that the Seikos need a special tool to change the battery.  That's a racket, but they are nice, dependable watches.  I  wouldn't spend a lot for a watch.  They all give you the same info, so why spend a lot of money?

I’ve got about 12 watches. Only really wear 1-2 of them. A Casio Pathfinder for work and most of the time when out of work I rock a Government issued Marathon GSAR automatic. 

Edited by mrags

16 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I've got one of those.  It's OK.  Also 3 Seikos.  I get irritated that the Seikos need a special tool to change the battery.  That's a racket, but they are nice, dependable watches.  I  wouldn't spend a lot for a watch.  They all give you the same info, so why spend a lot of money?

Why not just write the time down on your wrist?

Yep.  But not always been a wearer. There was a span of about 10 years through the mid-2000s & Teens that I didn't wear one.  Now, last 4 years, began wearing one again.  A basic analog Timex Expedition w/mechanical date, Indiglo dial, and black sport band.

Anyway... I know which wrist to wear it on, always aggravates me to see people wearing a wrist watch on "wrong" wrist.  You know they are a digital person don't & know how winding a wrist watch was supposed to take place and which wrist the watch belongs on.  I think the wife does it just to piss me off. ;):lol:

Oh... When there is only 30 days in a month... Or when you press to illuminate the dial... You should be glad you wear it on the "proper" wrist. ;)

43 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

To "impress" people of course.  Nothing screams "douche" more than like $5K on the wrist... Even better if they are wearing it on the right wrist. ;)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois