RD 4, Pick 121: Taron Johnson DB - Weber State

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Zone defenses are more about instincts anyways. He will be solid nickel depth which is all you can ask for in the 4th round. Listening to him on WGR he sounds intelligent and excited to come here.

Yepp--in fact I think he may become an excellent NFL CB

11 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Holy crap....the pass that hit him in the face was thrown by Josh Allen!

And didn’t even knock him out. So much for these supposed rumors about Allen’s arm strength. So disappointed. 

There’s a policy at my work place that says “never reach”. It applies with the draft too. Beane has his board and he’s sticking to it. Why reach on a lineman who has a 5th rd grade when he can get his guy who might possibly have a 3rd rd grade in his book. But I’m sure some of you know way more than him

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I will trust McDermott and his staff. They went to the playoffs with a weak roster last year. 

They are building this team the right way and they knocked off a playoff drought in the process.

Let them continue to do things their way and we might see a consistent winning SB contender here. FINALLY.

Exactly. 

Beane and the staff have a clear vision of what it takes to be consistent winners in this league and I have a ton of confidence in their decision making. Last year was impressive to say the least and I expect this roster to be an upgrade and next year to be SB contenders after all that dead cap is gone. We're in good hands

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Obviously not, they brought in Chark, Miller, Moore, etc... They brought in day 1 WRs. 

Yeah and then the ability to get Edmunds took those 2nd round grade WRs away. Now you have Cain, St Brown falling they will address WR in 5th I think. Plus have the vet cuts coming up. 

Look at Denver hmmmmmm how many WRs they draft and have two highly paid Vets right?

Edited by MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

So you’ve never heard of him or seen him play but he’s a 6th or 7th rounder in your obvious expert opinion

Dumb reply.  it should be obvious to anyone except the most imbecilic that I am not claiming any "expert opinion", since I have never seen him play.   That said I cannot recall any predraft ranking that was better than the 6th round.  I will defer to macbeance. It certainly does not seem you have much to offer on this topic.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, CamboBill said:

Who?!  Seriously thought this guy was a 6th or 7th rounder, although I admit not seeing him play.  I think McBean know what they want in terms of dB traits, so I guess they get some benefit of the doubt.  a bigger name like Shaq griffin would have been more interesting. Surprised to see was still available.

Agreed.

Shaq can single-handedly win us ballgames

• Haha (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Jon Scott @JonScottTV 29s30 seconds ago

#Bills only have 4 cornerbacks on the roster right now: Tre'Davious White, Vontae Davis, Breon Borders, and Lafayette Pitts. This is a sneaky position of need that's filled a little by Taron Johnson

Where did Phillip Gaines go?

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah and then the ability to get Edmunds took those 2nd round grade WRs away. Now you have Cain, St Brown falling they will address WR in 5th I think. Plus have the vet cuts coming up. 

Look at Denver hmmmmmm how many WRs they draft and have two highly paid Vets right?

I agree 100%. They have done a nice job imo (even though Allen wasn’t my guy). They have gotten good value and plugged some needs.

The point that I was making is that they definitely aren’t comfortable at WR or they wouldn’t have been talking with the top guys. I think a Denver guy is a sleeper potentially. Bandit has been screaming to trade a late round for Travis Benjamin. That’s not a bad idea either.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree 100%. They have done a nice job imo (even though Allen wasn’t my guy). They have gotten good value and plugged some needs.

The point that I was making is that they definitely aren’t comfortable at WR or they wouldn’t have been talking with the top guys. I think a Denver guy is a sleeper potentially. Bandit has been screaming to trade a late round for Travis Benjamin. That’s not a bad idea either.

What I do know is I dont think Bills think they are as bad on the OL as the fans think. 

7 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Like the pick. Now OT and WR. You can wait to take a reciever cause the Bills need a track star at this point and they are always avaliable late. Really just need a Goodwin type here to keep Ds honest.  Skill wise ehhhh

Yup...from the work ive done looking at the drafts in round 6 you usually get the guys who are good football players with poor measurable(ie speed) and round 7 is for guys who are athletic freaks with poor football skills

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

What I do know is I dont think Bills think they are as bad on the OL as the fans think. 

I'd feel a lot better if Richie wouldn't have wigged out...but watch the name Tony Adams in the 6th round....

7 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Where did Phillip Gaines go?

He is third or fourth now. Depth is a good thing.

Plus I think the staff likes the kid they picked up from Oakland. Great CB is a great thing in today's NFL.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I think we are in trouble on the OL.  That said, there is very little worth drafting on the OL at this point.

Kind od disappointed to miss out on Ballage as an rb though.

Samuels might be a good pick as a good utility rb/fb/te

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, there are as many as five DBs on the field at any given time, and they tend to be good special teams players, so go figure...

Some day, when some posters realize that it is no longer 1985, they are going to understand that a teams needs 4 starter-level CBs. 3 good CBs, and a backup who's OK, FAILS, because that guy will be targeted all day. Why? Because today's base offense is 3 WR/TE/RB, or, 2WR/TE/2RB(one of which splits out), or, 2WR/2TE/RB(which plays hell with CBs who can't tackle/lack toughness/get schemed into trying to cover a TE who is bigger and taller, see: The Patriots Offense), or what we see more and more of: 4 WR/RB...as the crap college offense's spread package infects the NFL.

So, for like the 500th time since 2005: we ALWAYS need CB, and today, there is no doubt that CB is more important than O line. Think! How many times have we had 2 CBs injured...and lost/nearly lost a game because we had backup practice squad/street FA coming in and trying to cover? 50 games at least in the last 10 years. That's 50 Ls. How many times have we been unable to put a team away by "pounding the rock" because, even if that works, on their next possession the other team gets it and throws 7 passes down the field for a TD, putting them right back in the game?

That is exactly why CB is more important: you don't get to use your big O line/eat clock/run the ball/whatever....if you are constantly playing from behind/tied because the other team can throw on you all day. Now, you have to throw, just to keep up, thus completely defeating the purpose of building a run-fist team.

Without a above-average secondary, you don't even get an opportunity to use your line, no matter how good it is. So, yeah, we always need CBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I’d agree with this as well. I think that they are looking at Groy, Bodine, Miller and Vlad on the interior and Dawkins & Mills with Newhouse as the swing tackle. I would like to see another tackle added but we will see.

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like the pick. Slot Corner is a big need. There’s a good chance that he’s an upgrade from Leonard Johnson. 

They have experienced O-line backups currently on the roster. They have no backup CB with experience on the roster. This is an obvious need, unless you're Biff from Tonawanda, to quote metzelaars...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

He is third or fourth now. Depth is a good thing.

Plus I think the staff likes the kid they picked up from Oakland. Great CB is a great thing in today's NFL.

you missed the point, he wasn't listed at all as being on the roster. derp.

2 minutes ago, CamboBill said:

I think we are in trouble on the OL.  That said, there is very little worth drafting on the OL at this point.

Kind od disappointed to miss out on Ballage as an rb though.

Samuels might be a good pick as a good utility rb/fb/te

Go send a 2019 4th to ATL for Tevin Coleman

3 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Some day, when some posters realize that it is no longer 1985, they are going to understand that a teams needs 4 starter-level CBs. 3 good CBs, and a backup who's OK, FAILS, because that guy will be targeted all day. Why? Because today's base offense is 3 WR/TE/RB, or, 2WR/TE/2RB(one of which splits out), or, 2WR/2TE/RB(which plays hell with CBs who can't tackle/lack toughness/get schemed into trying to cover a TE who is bigger and taller, see: The Patriots Offense), or what we see more and more of: 4 WR/RB...as the crap college offense's spread package infects the NFL.

So, for like the 500th time since 2005: we ALWAYS need CB, and today, there is no doubt that CB is more important than O line. Think! How many times have we had 2 CBs injured...and lost/nearly lost a game because we had backup practice squad/street FA coming in and trying to cover? 50 games at least in the last 10 years. That's 50 Ls. How many times have we been unable to put a team away by "pounding the rock" because, even if that works, on their next possession the other team gets it and throws 7 passes down the field for a TD, putting them right back in the game?

That is exactly why CB is more important: you don't get to use your big O line/eat clock/run the ball/whatever....if you are constantly playing from behind/tied because the other team can throw on you all day. Now, you have to throw, just to keep up, thus completely defeating the purpose of building a run-fist team.

Without a above-average secondary, you don't even get an opportunity to use your line, no matter how good it is. So, yeah, we always need CBs. 

o line doesn't pass block in your world?