RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

Ok well I will weigh In. I posted many times over the weeks that my preferred order of QB’s was Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph and Jackson. In the last 48 hours I came around on Rosen. So bottom line is the Bills traded up, first with Denver who cancelled the trade when Chubb was still there. Then with Tampa. The Bills had their choice of both Josh’s and chose Allen. Case closed the Bills traded up and they got their preferred QB. It was rumored that the Bills would only trade up for one QB. So I’m guessing they would have traded all the way to 2 with NYG or 4 with the Browns to get Allen. So we all need to get on board and support this guy. This guy has the highest ceiling In the draft for QB’s. So Time will tell, I see a lot of greatness in this kid. His arm talent is generational. So let’s see I think we have a Big Ben type QB that can move out of the pocket. Welcome To buffalo and to Bills Mafia. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Its his legs that really make me hot! There like two mighty oaks, pumping furiously....one after the other.

With those GIANT hands flopping along at his sides.  A mountain of a man.  And a blue-collar, farm boy, lunch pail, Kyle Williams, beer slugging Buffalo kind of guy.  

1 minute ago, twist_to_open said:

I don't care what any of you idiots say, none you you know what you're talking about, some of you who claimed you did would actually be too busy actually working what you claim do be doing to be actually on two bill's drive. Go  Bill's! Trust the process!!!!

Just because you get paid to evaluate talent for an NFL front office does not automatically make you good at it. 

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good brother, and listen, Allen was NOT my choice either.  However, I had Rosen and Allen about the same on my risk board and Lamar right there with them.  The only QB I was very high on was Baker.  

So, for me, its not about being a homer...its about not seeing one QB so far over the other that I am upset at who we got.  I was actually quite against Allen going into the offseason, but I even admitted in threads that his offseason had actually started to sway me and wowed me.  I am not a guy who likes "combine heroes" but Allen had undisputedly the best workouts and combine and shown great improvement in areas he was working on.  And thats what you want to see, guys making progress and quickly.  

And also, the inaccuracy issue is over exaggerated a bit when you look at the garbage Allen played with and all the dropped passes, weak routes, etc.  There are GM's on record saying he was by far the best QB prospect in this draft (even though I didn't share that opinion personally).

So, at the end of the day...I don't see why its necessary to freak out today.  I mean a couple hours ago, he was looking to go top 4, maybe even #1 overall.  So there is still a lot to like about the kid.  Spending time now trying to make a case for him to be a bust is futile...hes a Bill...our regime loved him for a reason.  So lets just be stoked we got a new QB with a huge ceiling and a great LB prospect too and wait to judge him after he shows us what he can do with pads on.  

I don’t necessarily agree but I most certainly respect your opinion.  Allen and Rosen’s careers will be completely linked now and I pray that you are the one proven correct.

thanks for letting me vent.  All I got from girlfriend is blank stares and asking when this is over haha.  Have a good night boss.

3 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

With those GIANT hands flopping along at his sides.  A mountain of a man.  And a blue-collar, farm boy, lunch pail, Kyle Williams, beer slugging Buffalo kind of guy.  

My god, this outdated stereotype of Buffalo. 

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good brother, and listen, Allen was NOT my choice either.  However, I had Rosen and Allen about the same on my risk board and Lamar right there with them.  The only QB I was very high on was Baker.  

So, for me, its not about being a homer...its about not seeing one QB so far over the other that I am upset at who we got.  I was actually quite against Allen going into the offseason, but I even admitted in threads that his offseason had actually started to sway me and wowed me.  I am not a guy who likes "combine heroes" but Allen had undisputedly the best workouts and combine and shown great improvement in areas he was working on.  And thats what you want to see, guys making progress and quickly.  

And also, the inaccuracy issue is over exaggerated a bit when you look at the garbage Allen played with and all the dropped passes, weak routes, etc.  There are GM's on record saying he was by far the best QB prospect in this draft (even though I didn't share that opinion personally).

So, at the end of the day...I don't see why its necessary to freak out today.  I mean a couple hours ago, he was looking to go top 4, maybe even #1 overall.  So there is still a lot to like about the kid.  Spending time now trying to make a case for him to be a bust is futile...hes a Bill...our regime loved him for a reason.  So lets just be stoked we got a new QB with a huge ceiling and a great LB prospect too and wait to judge him after he shows us what he can do with pads on.  

This is exactly how I feel.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Great post.  Here's the thing...it seems that many posters on the board had Allen apparently as a long shot project, backup, 3rd round or later talent.  It seems they had Rosen as the top talent in the draft, no ifs, and or buts about it.  So, I can understand the fury and sadness that Allen was selected at all....but there's no mistake lots of professional football people disagreed with that assessment in spite of Allens 10th grade stats.  I don't see how you reconcile that unless Allen delivers as a top tier about worthy of a top 10 selection.  

I was was struck by the video clips of past drafts with fans cheering wildly at qb's selected who turned out to be a bust. There were many, many of those, and we can only hope the team selected the right guy moving forward.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Allen is the best prospect we have had since Kelly. Pissing and moaning is ridiculous. I don't like Rosen, but if they had selected him, I still would have been excited because he is a very good prospect.

Let things unfold a little bit.

So true.  I REALLY wanted Allen, and did not want Rosen one bit, but I would have been excited about any of the big 4 - all good prospects.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t necessarily agree but I most certainly respect your opinion.  Allen and Rosen’s careers will be completely linked now and I pray that you are the one proven correct.

thanks for letting me vent.  All I got from girlfriend is blank stares and asking when this is over haha.  Have a good night boss.

My god, this outdated stereotype of Buffalo. 

Hahaha nice, and all good.  And listen, I am not sold on Allen either...but I also wasn't sold on Rosen lol.  For me, I am just excited about a new QB with a big ceiling.  I don't know if he will be a hit or miss, but I am looking forward to finding out.  Have a good night brother! 

38 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

yes. Like Babe Ruth and Mike Hampton were both pitchers that could hit a little bit. Same type of pitcher. 

Except that Pat Mahomes got better every year in college and finished his career throwing for 5000 yards and 41 TD against 10 INTs while completing nearly 66% of his passes, after completing 64% as a SOPHOMORE. Oh yeah, and there's this little thing about Pat's bloodlines.

Please, stop. I'm trying to like Josh Allen. Don't compare him to Pat Mahomes and get our hopes up. Let him be Josh Allen.

1) Mahommes hardly had any NFL throws on tape. He played in the air raid and have very good WRs. Half of his throws were screens. 

2) Mahommes also had many inaccurate throws on tapeh

3) I had a early second round grade on both players

4) Allen went higher in a better draft than Mahommes went.

5) Mahommes has only played one game and still has a lot of bust potential 

6) They both are developmental guys with all the tools that need good coaching 

Edited by billspro

No if we don't like the pick we have to shut up because the Bills don't pay us. We are supposed to suddenly change our objective opinions on a player because our tean drafted him. That to me is disingenuous and I won't do it.

Will I hope Allen fails? Of course I won't, I hope I have to eat an almighty bowl of crow. I hope I become known as the guy who doubted Josh Allen... but I don't believe that will happen and nobody, but nobody, has the right to tell me I should. I believe we let a guy who is going to be really good slip through our fingers tonight and in 10 years time it will be another in the catalogue of moments this organisation has had where it has taken the wrong turn. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks Alphadawg. This post makes me feel better about the pick.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No if we don't like the pick we have to shut up because the Bills don't pay us. We are supposed to suddenly change our objective opinions on a player because our tean drafted him. That to me is disingenuous and I won't do it.

Will I hope Allen fails? Of course I won't, I hope I have to eat an almighty bowl of crow. I hope I become known as the guy who doubted Josh Allen... but I don't believe that will happen and nobody, but nobody, has the right to tell me I should. I believe we let a guy who is going to be really good slip through our fingers tonight and in 10 years time it will be another in the catalogue of moments this organisation has had where it has taken the wrong turn. 

Great post.  The only thing that makes it slightly better if Allen does bust is you can cut bait sooner without major penalties.  

But it yeah if That happens and Rosen is good, that will be hard to take.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Dont like the pick. However he gets 20-26 starts like I give every QB before I start saying i was right or wrong. 

Good luck Josh. Prove me wrong I hope you do. 

I generally agree but we cut bait on EJ after 14.

2 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

So true.  I REALLY wanted Allen, and did not want Rosen one bit, but I would have been excited about any of the big 4 - all good prospects.

Yeah, the Bills have a guy that was highly regarded, and whining about someone else's present is bad form.

I'm just happy that it appears they selected a guy they WANTED, and not just a leftover. 

It's gonna be alright.

For those who are skeptical of Allen it has to be acknowledged that most analysts had him highly ranked. Most of the evaluators had him in the top four grouping.  When he was selected by Buffalo it  was noted on the NFL Network that the Cardinals were also trying to move up to get him. The Bills won out because the Cardinals didn't have the assets to compete with us to get him. The Cardinals did move up somewhat and then took their next rated qb in Josh Rosen. 

The Bills had a plan right when this new regime was installed to get their future franchise qb in this draft. They have made a number of moves to accomplish their stated goal of securing a qb. They got it done; I'm happy with what has transpired. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great post.  The only thing that makes it slightly better if Allen does bust is you can cut bait sooner without major penalties.  

But it yeah if That happens and Rosen is good, that will be hard to take.

I generally agree but we cut bait on EJ after 14.

Yeah and I maintained that was early and that his development was all dicked up as well. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Dont like the pick. However he gets 20-26 starts like I give every QB before I start saying i was right or wrong. 

Good luck Josh. Prove me wrong 

And I completely agree with that. As much as I understand why they did it and it made no difference to how he panned out I thought they pulled the rug too quickly on EJ. Allen will end up starting at some point this year, and probably early because McCarron isn't the guy, and he gets at the very least whatever he starts this year and the whole of 2019 before we even try and work out what we have. 

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Or playing with kids that 99% of don't make it to where Josh Allen is today.

H.S. stats to make an argument, seriously?

Are the stats invalid?  Or are they more valid than anecdotes like "he played with a lot of bad players at Wyoming, so his completion percentage doesn't matter"? 

And the pattern of inaccuracy does matter.  The basis of the critique of those who didn't want Allen was his low completion percentage.  It has been an incredibly consistent predictor of what a QB will do at the next level.  I don't think most fans are raging against Allen because they personally dislike him or want him to fail, it's just that a low completion percentage is a BIG RED FLAG.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Lets look at it this way. 

What if the draft was 

Edmunds at 7 and

Allen at 16 

how would everyone feel right now?

I would be fine with that. Wish we kept one second round pick though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Hell, I am disappointed but I will cheer for him. 

At least Allen seems to be 50000x smarter than EJ ever was.

Just curious, what makes you say that? Because EJ got a 28 on the wonderlic compared to Allen’s 32 and EJ didn’t have stupid tweets get leaked.

why is Allen is 50000x smarter?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Just because you get paid to evaluate talent for an NFL front office does not automatically make you good at it. 

I'm not responding because of your response to that ridiculous post.   

No one is good at this.  It's predicting the future - a projection of what you hope a young person can become.  The Bills worked hard to come to a decision and they made it.  I think it's unfair to in turn criticize the pick in trying to predict the future ourselves.  I think the right mindset as a fan is to hope and leave it there.  

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This organization doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt so I am with you on that.    TPegs has a hockey team that has turned into long term garbage under his watch too.......he has a lot to prove wrt hiring people to run his teams.

I wanted Darnold or Rosen then there was a dropoff IMO..........but I am willing to be very optimistic about Allen.      

Pegs hired these guys..........they apparently wanted a Cam Newton type beast so there ya' go.    Shouldn't be a surprise.

If it doesn't work out........hire an offensive minded HC next time.