Bills Draft Day QB Worst Case Scenario

3 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I expect that Darnold, Mayfield,  Rosen  will go in the top 4 picks and that none of those teams are interested in trading down.   Allen is likely to be a bust- all arm and not much accuracy.   We get Rudolph with #12 and go about the rest of our draft. Rudolph is well balanced, smart and has a log of upside.

If all of them go in the top 4 picks and we couldn't get the Giants 2 or the Browns 4 then I would sit at 12 and take BPA.  Don't reach for lower talent at a position just because it is a position of need.  You miss out on a blue chip player elsewhere and then you've spent a 1st rd pick on someone who may never play.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Mcd is still here to and I’m sure is working with him. So what you’re saying is that essentially these guys can’t draft any other position outside of qb. And that the free agent signings won’t make a difference?   I’ve said I have confidence in them drafting great players of they can’t get a qb prospect. Is that so ridiculous? 

Mccown threw for for those types of yards with less talented receivers. 

Your interpretive skills are poor if you think I'm saying any of that. The team has quite a few holes and if you think all newly acquired draft picks will make an immediate impact you are being unrealistic.

McCown's WR corps was better than what the Bills currently have with Anderson and Kearse in addition to ASJ at TE. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Your interpretive skills are poor if you think I'm saying any of that. The team has quite a few holes and if you think all newly acquired draft picks will make an immediate impact you are being unrealistic.

McCown's WR corps was better than what the Bills currently have with Anderson and Kearse in addition to ASJ at TE. 

Well a year ago I would never have thought Hyde poyer and white would look so good. Same with Dawkins and others.  These guys very recently picked a lot of talent and got them to contribute in big ways. I’m confident that will happen again. It’s not that 

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's a lot of ifs regarding the defense, but the offense has major holes at QB, OL, and WR.  Confidence in the draft? This is Beane's 1st. Let's hope he gets it right starting with QB that he knows is the key to the future. 

:oShocking coming from the guy who thinks every Bills' player is a hall of famer. 

Fanbois will be fanbois.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Well a year ago I would never have thought Hyde poyer and white would look so good. Same with Dawkins and others.  These guys very recently picked a lot of talent and got them to contribute in big ways. I’m confident that will happen again. It’s not that 

I noticed there was no mention of Zay Jones who is exhibit A of not every pick making an immediate impact. 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So if we take two defensive players at 12 and 22 what impact do you think they have on defense? Say lb and dt. 

Just now, aristocrat said:

What others?

You basically named the lotto tickets 4 that they struck gold.

What about the one that sucked?

(Peterman, Tolbert, just to start there)

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I noticed there was no mention of Zay Jones who is exhibit A of not every pick making an immediate impact. 

I added a couple others too, was saying the same thing

• Thank you (+1) 1

Gotcha. You’re right they may have missed on a pick. Forget the runner up droy and rookie left tackle and Milano and Gaines and Hyde and poyer. You got me 

Gotcha. You’re right they may have missed on a pick. Forget the runner up droy and rookie left tackle and Milano and Gaines and Hyde and poyer. You got me 

Gaines? The guy the chose not to re-sign.  Okay. 

What kind of question is that with no player attached to the picks?  :lol:

So do you have confidence in this front office based on what they brought in last year in trades, free agents and drafting to draft well again? Yes or no? Not just at qb 

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

So do you have confidence in this front office based on what they brought in last year in trades, free agents and drafting to draft well again? Yes or no? Not just at qb 

Again, It's a new front office conducting their 1st draft so we'll see. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

It seems like the Bills have a good chance at getting Mayfield. He has height and character concerns. That type of prospect falls every year.

Teams have concerns about Rosen's durability and attitude, too. 

I think we're generally freaking out a little too much about the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Way to go out on a limb there.  I don’t really have an opinion either way. We’ll see. Lol

Why should I have an opinion on a front office with no track real track record? All we have thus far is talk.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

I hope this is how the draft plays out and we get a stud LB at 12 and BPA at 22 (OL hopefully) and then a 2nd or 3rd round QB like White

That would fit McBean and I like it too.  They know they can win with a 2d rd QB.  They went to the playoffs with TT, no star receiver, and mostly a team of second- and third-tier players.  A 2d rd QB would be a step up and keeps us in the playoffs.  Could even be a franchise QB.  I f not McBean will patiently wait until one comes our way and in the meantime will win with BQB available.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why should I have an opinion on a front office with no track real track record? All we have thus far is talk.

There is a track record. And saying you have confidence in them improving the team isn’t that difficult.  Heck you went way out on a limb with jimmy g. 

There is a track record. And saying you have confidence in them improving the team isn’t that difficult.  Heck you went way out on a limb with jimmy g. 

In 2017, Beane has made a few trades for picks and players who have left the team. Now he has made free agent acquisitions who have yet to play and traded up to 12 in the 1st round. 

Watching Jimmy G play and making an assessment is completely different from that of a GM and it's arather poor analogy by you. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

In 2017, Beane has made a few trades for picks and players who have left the team. Now he has made free agent acquisitions who have yet to play and traded up to 12 in the 1st round. 

Watching Jimmy G play and making an assessment is completely different from that of a GM and it's arather poor analogy by you. 

Mcd signed Hyde poyer and drafted White Dawkins  zay etc. he’s still here. Confidence. 

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

I couldn't disagree more.  A bunch of picks and White is not a good scenario.  If we get Allen - while you may like it - at least you'll know that's who they wanted and they got him, let's roll with our new QB.  Allen and giving up picks isn't the worst scenario by a country mile.  

Agreed, this is not a very deep draft in the positions we need to fill most other than at QB. In a thin draft, quality over quantity is best. 

http://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/joshuaallen0oal?view=profile

Does his 49% completion at JUCO bother anyone? Or does it mean he improved from a #57 ranking at JUCO to the 7th ranked passer in the MWC! Maybe he'll be the 28th ranked passer in the NFL some day.:rolleyes:

Not trying to bash the kid (too hard anyway), he seems like he has some of the strongest traits ever. He'd be my fourth pick at QB, but not in a tradeup. He would have to fall and have value at the spot.

He strikes me as the kind of guy people look back at these red flags and go , Why or why didn't we see that?

Edited by horned dogs

A much as I am wanting them to move up to 2 or 4, the closer we get to the draft more I think they move to 6 or 7.  They keep 22 and get a qb.  Which ever one falls they go for.  If Rosen gets past Denver I think that he is the target and i think its likely it happens.   I dont know if there has been any contact but Jackson around 9 wouldn't be terrible as well.  Played in a similar design of offense so the reads and plays structure wouldn't be a big adjust for him.  Exciting to see what they do.  All the top guys have some issues.  If they get 1 of the top 5 qbs I would be happy.  I think it could make sense to get the Qb that makes it out of the top 5.  The cost would much less and Buffalo could still get a good player at 22.  

12 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Of all the posibillities, I haven't seen much alluded to about the absolute worst case coming true on draft day.  Here is a very real possiblity.

1 Cleveland takes a QB not named Josh Allen

2. Giants take a QB not named Josh Allen

3. Jets take a QB not named Josh Allen

4. Cleveland takes non QB.

5. Broncos take Josh Allen or non QB.

6-7-8-9-10-11.  Someone trades up for Josh Allen if he is still on the board and it isn't the Bills.

12.  Bills having missed top 4 QB, don't take one here.

13-21.  Cardinals take Mason Rudolph, Chargers take Lamar Jackson or Saints(or New England) trade up for either of these guys before pick 22 and the Bills stay put.

22.  No QB of note.  Bills take non QB.

The "build the roster first" people will be STOKED.

if this happens, you get down to brass tacks with the Eagles and obtain Foles.

Worst case scenario ... Bills give up both 2018 first round picks plus both 2nd round picks and 2019 first round pick for Josh Rosen who proceeds to get another concussion in preseason and his doctor daddy talks him into a career as a professional tennis player and he retires before ever taking a snap in a real game.

8 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Worst case scenario ... Bills give up both 2018 first round picks plus both 2nd round picks and 2019 first round pick for Josh Rosen who proceeds to get another concussion in preseason and his doctor daddy talks him into a career as a professional tennis player and he retires before ever taking a snap in a real game.

...more I read the more I like this Alex McGough kid at 12..................

15 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Of all the posibillities, I haven't seen much alluded to about the absolute worst case coming true on draft day.  Here is a very real possiblity.

1 Cleveland takes a QB not named Josh Allen

2. Giants take a QB not named Josh Allen

3. Jets take a QB not named Josh Allen

4. Cleveland takes non QB.

5. Broncos take Josh Allen or non QB.

6-7-8-9-10-11.  Someone trades up for Josh Allen if he is still on the board and it isn't the Bills.

12.  Bills having missed top 4 QB, don't take one here.

13-21.  Cardinals take Mason Rudolph, Chargers take Lamar Jackson or Saints(or New England) trade up for either of these guys before pick 22 and the Bills stay put.

22.  No QB of note.  Bills take non QB.

The "build the roster first" people will be STOKED.

There is a difference between building a roster and trading away everything for a #2.

There is a difference between Trading 2 first round picks for #5-8

Labeling Build the roster first people? I think its more like "build the roster and get your QB at same time" without 4+ draft picks people and

to say the will be stoked is idiotic.

Edited by PrimeTime101

15 hours ago, Adam727 said:

If this happens, I'd like to see the Bills trade down from 12, swap picks with someone looking to move up to grab one of the skill position players that fell in exchange for a 1st next year.  If there's no QB worth taking at 22, then trade down again.  Maybe swap #22 for a 2nd this year and a 1st next year.  Use one of the 3rd round picks on a QB prospect like Falk, use the other 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds to build the roster, and have 3 1st round picks to use on a QB next year.  It would suck for this year but it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen to this team.  

IMO the worst case QB scenario is the Bills trade a boatload of picks for #2 and they select Allen.  

trade in your entire draft to move up to number 2 with the Giants and select Josh Allen would be a disaster of epic proportions.....

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, stuvian said:

I'll take Lamar Jackson all day

Agreed.  Jackson is about the same caliber (albeit different specifically) of a QB prospect as Mahomes was.  It’d be odd to have punted on Mahomes at 10 last season only to go Jackson at 12 this season.  Still, I’d take it.  

6 hours ago, stuvian said:

worst case scenario is giving up a king's ransom in picks only to get Allen

Also agree with this.  Yikes!

• Like (+1) 1