Cleveland Trade for TT Should Indicate the Quality of the 2018 QB Draft Class

Irv

None of these guys are ready.  They may never be.  If they were, then why did Cleveland trade for Tyrod?  Yes Cleveland has a worse track record than us.  But, Tyrod has proven that he is a below average NFL quarterback and the Browns still think the QB they draft at #1 will still sit behind him.  I don't see us moving up.  One of those five guys will be there at 12 and all of them will sit behind McCarron for a year and may never make it in the NFL. 

• Haha (+1) 4

This is a very smart and important post.

One player being traded to a team that has no veteran QB on the roster = all the rookies are busts.

Which also means we ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT trade up into the top 5, dummies.

Thank you for this info.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Irv said:

None of these guys are ready.  They may never be.  If they were, then why did Cleveland trade for Tyrod?  Yes Cleveland has a worse track record than us.  But, Tyrod has proven that he is a below average NFL quarterback and the Browns still think the QB they draft at #1 will still sit behind him.  I don't see us moving up.  One of those five guys will be there at 12 and all of them will sit behind McCarron for a year and may never make it in the NFL. 

If the Pats or Eagles or basically any other franchise did this id think u may be on to something but the BROWNS traded for him. Why do they do half of the stuff they do.

14 minutes ago, Irv said:

By that logic the Bills paying Star Lotulelei the kind of money they did is an indication that there's not a DT in the draft that is ready to play or may never be, right?

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

5 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

If the Pats or Eagles or basically any other franchise did this id think u may be on to something but the BROWNS traded for him. Why do they do half of the stuff they do.

They just need to win a game. Any game. They had no QBs on the roster who had ever won a game. They just failed with a rookie Qb starting year 1 and are about to draft another. The FA QBs with decent starting experience had no interest in signing there. It couldn’t more obvious why they made this trade. In fact they were the only team I thought it made sense for before it went down and predicted it would happen. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

You don't give up a third unless Tyrod starts. Period.

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wrong! Rosen starts day one and Mayfield/Darnold might as well. 

No dice. They gave up a third. 

Edited by Irv

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The OP should be forced to change his TBD name and profile picture.  :lol:  IW is turning over in his grave. 

I always like it when guys put their IQ in their screen name.  :P

4 minutes ago, Irv said:

You don't give up a third unless Tyrod starts. Period.

No dice. They gave up a third. 

Yes. Tyrod is starting there. They already declared this. Because they just went through a season with a rookie starter and Hue !@#$ed it up. He is awful with rookie QBs.  Hue is still there. They need to show some kind of progress. The fans would be thrilled with 5 it 6 wins. TT is perfect for them right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Irv said:

You don't give up a third unless Tyrod starts. 

This thread is making things waaaayyyy too complicated :

1. Any team wants the option of letting a rookie quarterback sit, if at all possible
  2. A very large percent of rookie quarterback benefit by sitting, at least part of the season
  3. Hue Jackson took scorching criticism for playing Kizer too soon. Apparently he took it to heart.
  4. Cleveland's future is in this pick. They can't afford to mess things up again. That's why they pick Darnold over Allen btw.
  5. Cleveland has a TON of picks, and could part with a third
  6. Taylor's a decent qb, and will probably enjoy success with the Brown's better supporting cast.

And that's that. There's no big conclusion on the '18 crop of quarterback draftees here......

Edited by grb
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just thinking out loud here, but might Cleveland take TT because their QB draft target is Jackson? They have similar playing styles, an offense designed for TT's strengths would be good for Jackson as well. TT starts for a year and Jackson is groomed for the future?

Are we still !@#$ing talking about Tyrod Taylor. We got a 3rd from a team with infinite cap space, for a player with 1 year left on his contract that has proven he is not a franchise QB. It's a fair trade for both sides, we needed to move on, they needed a bridge/backup QB. I've always said Tyrod is everything you want in a backup. 

4 minutes ago, johnnychemo said:

Just thinking out loud here, but might Cleveland take TT because their QB draft target is Jackson? They have similar playing styles, an offense designed for TT's strengths would be good for Jackson as well. TT starts for a year and Jackson is groomed for the future?

Would that not be the BALLS - taking Jackson with the #1 pick......So Brownsey!!!!!  I kinda feel sorry for those Browns fans.......

Edited by Kwai San

38 minutes ago, Irv said:

This makes wwwaaayyy too much sense so I gotta spin your question around.

Why then.. did the Bill's trade Tyrod?

BAM!! ??

• Like (+1) 1

Bad thesis there.  What the Browns secured with the TT trade was the ability to develop their new QB from the bench rather than HAVING to play him this year.  It's reasonable to conclude this was exactly what the Browns were thinking, considering that's exactly Dorsey did with Mahomes last year as Chiefs GM. 

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

BAM!! ??

Because the Bills don’t see him as a long term answer, and they went as far as they could with him. They could have moved on last year but new regime didn’t see a better option immediately available.  They finally ripped the band aid off and are moving forward and rebuilding at the position. The browns are in a different place than the Bills. They need a band aid to stop the bleeding before they can really move forward with their Qb of the future. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Irv said:

giphy.gif

Just now, Irv said:

IMO - Because Hue Jackson wanted a veteran QB. I'm sure Dorsey did too, to help the team win some games and gain confidence.

But Hue just went 0-16 (and 1-31 in the past 2 seasons). He doesn't have the leash to ride out another season of rookie QB bumps and turnovers. 

He HAS TO win some games this year and show some forward progress if he wants to keep his job. 

I believe he rightly thinks that turnovers are the biggest factor in all their losses (Kizer just turned the ball over 27 times!!) and Tyrod solves that problem.

Darnold has issues with turnovers himself, so they will let him learn from Tyrod for a year on how to take care of the ball, then he will be starting next year. 

Edited by BillsFan4

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Because the Bills don’t see him as a long term answer and they went as far as they could with him. The browns are in a different place than the Bills.

Well, right!

But as u know, this was in regard to OPs question.

How much of a different place is debatable but I guess my point is there is SSOO much more that goes into it than the surface lodgic that was expressed when the original question was posed. 

I suppose how TT stacks up to AJ and the $$ needs to be taken into account as well but in the end neither is a fqb so what are we really doing here..

20 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

BAM!! ??

Because he sucks?

19 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

giphy.gif

Another dude with his IQ in his screen name.