Josh Rosen snaps back on Mora comments

So - Mora accused him of being intellectual - and of having the millennial disease of needing to know "why?".

Seems to me that Rosen's response was exactly what it should have been.  Why?

I sort of take Mora's comments another way.  Is what he was saying more about Josh, or more about the Cleveland coaching staff?  Is he saying they don't have the tools to intellectually challenge him?  That they are going to be unable to get him to focus on Football?

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

asking why IS a bad thing if your coaching style is spit flying everywhere and the only thing you want to hear is "SIR YES SIR!"

3 yards and a cloud of dust type guys don't like questions.

Yea Mora was more of a shut up and throw type coach... as he knew his ass was on the line.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Maybe the Buffalo you live in.  The Buffalo I grew up/ lived in is a great time.  The weather sucks for 8 months but that is football season anyways.

most people won’t think Aaron Rodgers would love GB and he will have a statue built for him there.

I am not just talking about weather I am talking about his super left wing political views, his personality, his wealthy family background. I do not see him enjoying life here. I would take Mayfield before Rosen if both are on the board.

Edited by Mrbojanglezs

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Oh come on...you know what I mean.

Like stay off twitter

So lets see have you looked at his twitter?

Seems pretty mundane. Better than being arrested naked or on a picture TMZ with some girl doing blow

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am quite familiar with the Mora comments, both of them...I just dont get how Josh tweet is some kind of big "snap back" to Mora.  Seems quite uneventful if you ask me.

Really? Mora says he's a millennial that needs to know why and Rosen tweets "Why", which is certainly directed at Mora while being a bit playful. He's acknowledging what Mora has said and then putting it back in his face again. 

• Like (+1) 2

Truly great coaches would LOVe a QB who wants all the details, all the ins and outs and the whys. That's how you dissect a defense together.

Mediocre coaches like Mora just want blind obedience and see questions not as genuine curiosity and desire but challenges.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DFT said:

I think everyone is missing the brilliance in Rosen’s tweet.  He humorously just did what his coach said he would do.  I call that Moxie, but what the heck do I know...

I think the reason that I appreciate him so much is that he reminds me of myself. Knowing that you're one of the smartest people in any room gives you this condescending smugness that most people assume to be arrogance. It's not, we just know that we're superior to you.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, he hasn’t said anything!!! So trying to reach for reasons to hate a player that you obviously don’t agree with his beliefs on social issues.  Shut up and throw, amirite???

I didn't even remember if this was that kid or not, honestly. 

I just think it's stupid he'd tweet.  These kids should be on lockdown right now. No nuffin

3 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I am not just talking about weather I am talking about his super left wing political views, his personality, his wealthy family background. I do not see him enjoying life here. I would take Mayfield before Rosen if both are on the board.

You know that the city of Buffalo is a democratic city, right?  And Rodgers is much different than the average GB citizen in his views.  If you can play and win, no one cares.

i hate politics and the way they divide us.  I think the guy in office is a clown but that has nothing to do with his party.  But I know that RI and Rex were big Trump guys.  When I watched the Bills I couldn’t care less about who they voted for.  Rex was a crappy coach no matter who he voted for.

personally, I think Rosen is the best qb in the draft and is only held back because Mora did a crappy job as a coach.  I also respect a kid who has money speaking out on social issues because most people in his position couldn’t care less.

but as long as a guy isn’t a complete scumbag or douche, their ability to play football should be the major factor in drafting them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

I think the reason that I appreciate him so much is that he reminds me of myself. Knowing that you're one of the smartest people in any room gives you this condescending smugness that most people assume to be arrogance. It's not, we just know that we're superior to you.

I admire your candor, Blokes.  You complete me.

People seem to be focusing on the "he needs to know why" part for some reason when it seems like the more negative parts of what Mora said was his implication that Rosen often loses focus and "has many interests" when people are already questioning if he cares more about outside things than he does football.

12 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I know what you mean. The world and his wife are looking for reasons to dislike him and by making comments in the public domain, he's only going to invite more criticism.

I like the kid and I hate Mora so I'm naturally going to side with the guy that I like. I appreciate him being willing to defend himself against some of the things that have been said about him (even if it's in a particularly passive-aggressive manner) but I fully understand that it might not sit well with everyone.

Spot on. When someone doesn't like you no matter what you do they won't like you.  But, in some cases where people are on the fence or still justing your character anything can change their viewpoint. It's best, in this situation, to do nothing.  Let actions back it up. If asked by a team or reporter what he thinks he simply says "I don't have anything to say to that and look forward to showing what I can do on the field."

It sucks but right now when you're in his position you don't throw punches, not even jabs.

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I didn't even remember if this was that kid or not, honestly. 

I just think it's stupid he'd tweet.  These kids should be on lockdown right now. No nuffin

I don’t disagree with this.  If I was an agent, I’d make my players delete all social media until they sign their contract.

that said, the Rosen stuff is 99.9% media & .1% Rosen.

Just now, DCOrange said:

People seem to be focusing on the "he needs to know why" part for some reason when it seems like the more negative parts of what Mora said was his implication that Rosen often loses focus and "has many interests" when people are already questioning if he cares more about outside things than he does football.

Or people just know Mora throws his former players under the bus and take no stock into what he says

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He might be a dick but he's 100% right in his feelings on Rosen. He's tired of babysitting the premadonna.  Rosen will have a very short lived NFL career marked by injuries and conflicts with authority figures called coaches.

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t disagree with this.  If I was an agent, I’d make my players delete all social media until they sign their contract.

that said, the Rosen stuff is 99.9% media & .1% Rosen.

I cannot believe how little I know about anything right now NFL related. This is embarrassing that I know the kid who has political views but no idea who he is. Or that north Dakota QB. Or Penn State has Barkley. That'd be the only player by name I'd know other than a linebacker Vander Bosch or something. 

15 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Really? Mora says he's a millennial that needs to know why and Rosen tweets "Why", which is certainly directed at Mora while being a bit playful. He's acknowledging what Mora has said and then putting it back in his face again. 

I love the subtle troll back...

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He might be a dick but he's 100% right in his feelings on Rosen. He's tired of babysitting the premadonna.  Rosen will have a very short lived NFL career marked by injuries and conflicts with authority figures called coaches.

This thing that you are doing - I believe it is called “projecting”

Yours are not the feelings Coach Mora expressed

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm a non-twitter person. What does "Why?" mean?

Twitter is both the best and worst thing ever. 

His coach said Rosen is the type of guy who asks why as sort of a knock against him.  So Rosen just tweeted out why.  Oh, and Rosen steals babies.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

QB1 for life.

Yeah..........I'm not that worried about his personality.........Peyton Manning was a complete !@#$(he'd probably do prison time for T-bagging a female trainer nowadays) and routinely melted under pressure against better opponents at TN..........he was drafted for the same reasons Rosen was........elite pocket QB talent.

And yes Peyton would have made life hard on his coaches in the NFL if they didn't cater the offense around what he wanted to do..........but he was GREAT at what he did so he got what he wanted and the results were a happy QB providing HOF QB play.

Rosen has elite potential as well...........if you take a guy with that much ability and it doesn't work out.........SO BE IT..........but if you pass on an opportunity to trade up for him and then he pans out like he could with that skillset.........that would be hard to live with professionally. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah..........I'm not that worried about his personality.........Peyton Manning was a complete !@#$(he'd probably do prison time for T-bagging a female trainer nowadays) and routinely melted under pressure against better opponents at TN..........he was drafted for the same reasons Rosen was........elite pocket QB talent.

And yes Peyton would have made life hard on his coaches in the NFL if they didn't cater the offense around what he wanted to do..........but he was GREAT at what he did so he got what he wanted and the results were a happy QB providing HOF QB play.

Rosen has elite potential as well...........if you take a guy with that much ability and it doesn't work out.........SO BE IT..........but if you pass on an opportunity to trade up for him and then he pans out like he could with that skillset.........that would be hard to live with professionally. 

Agree 100 percent.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Thankfully you wouldn't have to live with it too long professionally because you will be out of a job rather quickly

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Thankfully you wouldn't have to live with it too long professionally because you will be out of a job rather quickly

Honestly..........if Beane and McD come out of this draft without their QB they are very likely dead men walking.

Will take a stroke of QB luck the likes of which the Bills have never had to get them to year 5.......if not year 4.

They gotta' know this is their chance...........especially Beane........who basically inherited McD's decision to pass on Watson/Mahomes last year.

Still can't believe people tried to sell hiring Beane AFTER the draft as a good idea and said other teams might do the same. :doh: 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I keep saying it. If there's going to be an elite QB from this group, it's Rosen. He does things that nobody else in the class can do in terms of how he reads the game, especially pre-snap. It's a bit of a cliche but he really does seem born for it.

Maybe he's a bit of a tough one to work with. Maybe as a position coach or an OC, you're forced to bite your tongue a bit around him and acquiesce to him. But if you're the same QB coach or OC 2-3 years down the line and he's a superstar, you're using him to vault yourself into HC consideration.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Peyton Manning asked why a lot and questioned his coaches. I can't remember which of Peytons coaches came out recently and said as much in reference to Rosen asking the "whys". 

Yes, and he actually questioned everyone. One time he was in a meeting with some scouts and asked them to break down why they had college WRs ranked the way they did. He wanted to make sure the WRs drafted were to his acceptance and specification. He didn’t say they were wrong, he just wanted reasoning on each one. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Best response by Rosen could have been no response. At least to me this comes across a tad snarky. He's had a ton of questions about leadership and ability to play well with others. Not a great look on him imo

Very clever play on what Mora said about him.  Something about Rosen being a millenial, being intellectually curious and that if you give him the "why", he'll do fantastic. So, Rosen asked "why"?

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Honestly..........if Beane and McD come out of this draft without their QB they are very likely dead men walking.

Will take a stroke of QB luck the likes of which the Bills have never had to get them to year 5.......if not year 4.

They gotta' know this is their chance...........especially Beane........who basically inherited McD's decision to pass on Watson/Mahomes last year.

Still can't believe people tried to sell hiring Beane AFTER the draft as a good idea and said other teams might do the same. :doh: 

100000% agree. They are toast if they don't do it this draft, especially if next year's draft is barren as far as QBs as it looks like; you bet your ass they are Dead Men walking into 2020...

Last year was an awful clusterf%&k. You have a entire FO and scouting staff being fired right after the draft. You made the decision to let them go and hire new people, but yet you were trusting their board, the rankings, the scouting etc and basing your draft around it! All of this and knowing that they were all being fired the day after. Stupid. Just Stupid...

Now maybe I can let that slide if you bring in a Andy Reid, Bellicheat, etc. as a HC who has some personnel experience, but you hand the keys over to a rookie HC in McD and let him run the draft based on the board and reports of the people you are firing? :blink:

I'm still mystified regarding this...

11 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I keep saying it. If there's going to be an elite QB from this group, it's Rosen. He does things that nobody else in the class can do in terms of how he reads the game, especially pre-snap. It's a bit of a cliche but he really does seem born for it.

Maybe he's a bit of a tough one to work with. Maybe as a position coach or an OC, you're forced to bite your tongue a bit around him and acquiesce to him. But if you're the same QB coach or OC 2-3 years down the line and he's a superstar, you're using him to vault yourself into HC consideration.

Why?

Some of the assumptions people make on these kids is just laughable. None of us know these players personally. We can only go off what we see with them in interviews and what we hear from other people.

Some seem to think Rosen has leadership issues yet not one UCLA teammate of his has stood up and said, "Yeah, Josh was a real d*ckburger, man. He would call plays in the huddle like, 'Spider Y 2 who gives a crap on two' ya know? He's just a real entitled millennial doofus who doesn't care about football or anything else." 

Nope. Any teammate that's been asked about him has said they never had any issues with him and that he's 100% the type of player you want leading your team when the game is on the line. Teammates of his have said time and again that they always felt like they had a shot to win the game with Rosen leading the way.

And what's wrong with asking why? If coaches have an issue with that, that's on them. A good leader can handle challenges from those s/he leads. Of course there's a line and I'd assume Rosen knows where that line is and doesn't ask questions just to meddle and be a jerk. He wants to know why, as in, why this play, at this time, against this defense, etc. etc. Those are questions you want your QB to be asking. 

What's wrong with a little swagger? A little confidence? Even cockiness? People wanna knock these players down a whole bunch of pegs because their passion comes off as "bad attitude?" Bah. I'd rather have a guy who has the nads to call out BS when he sees it, or questions the reasoning behind things. 

These are human beings at the end of the day. They're allowed to have opinions and ask questions. I don't foresee any kind of "character concern" having a major impact on how any of these QBs will play ball in the NFL. It's just that time of the year where the analysis is in hyper-drive and the nitpicking is at a fever pitch. If Rosen doesn't pan out in the NFL it won't be because he had a minor response to his former head coach... if Mayfield doesn't work out it won't be because he grabbed his nards and got drunk in public... so on and so forth.

52 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

And you know this how?

Have YOU personally hung out with Rosen?

Nope.

You haven't.

58 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

He's a prima donna cause he asks why?

http://www.espn.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/13394/peyton-mannings-words-have-been-direct-and-to-the-same-points

Guess Peytons was a prima donna too. He also came from a family with money and had his share of college mishaps. The character assassination of Rosen is ridiculous.

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This thing that you are doing - I believe it is called “projecting”

Yours are not the feelings Coach Mora expressed

As a lifelong UCLA alum I've seen every QB go thru this program. I've seen every snap Josh has made. I've read every article and even had the opportunity last year to briefly ask Jim Mora at a Rose Bowl function why Josh is "protected" from the media. All the fans at that spring invite could tell he wanted nothing to do with answering that question.  Darnold on the other hand was constantly on the radio or tv. It's we'll documented that Rosen might have some doubts about his passion for football.  The kid gets injured as easily as Goodwin. I want to see the Bills succeed and Rosen would not be a good fit in Buffalo. Darnold or Mayfield IMHO would be tough grinders in Buffalo.  That's all Mora is trying to say.  If you guys all want to run to the podium and grab Rosen, be my guest. I see a kid with way too many red flags. No crystal ball, no knowledge of the family, just my gut feeling. 

50 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Or people just know Mora throws his former players under the bus and take no stock into what he says

If people didn't care what Mora thinks, they wouldn't be making such a big deal about what he said in the first place. I just think the particular part that people are freaking out about is misguided.