Are We a Playoff Team with A.J. ?

I really do not expect this team to make the playoffs this season.  Regardless of who is QB.  We have so many holes to fill.  This is why I also don't want to spend next years #1 to move up - that would really set us back since I suspect we'll have a high pick in '19.  I HOPE AJM has something we need.  I would much rather go 4-12 than continue the path of 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 every year and get middling picks.  That is another reason for where we're at.  Many of these teams who had huge resurgences - actually had really bad years and got top 12 picks.  When we had those - we wasted them in the past 20 years.  (Mike Williams, Whitner, Lynch, McKelvin, Maybin, Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore, and Watkins).  

Yes, some of those guys had some success - but often elsewhere.  Sammy of course is most glaring because he cost us TWO first round picks.

Looking at our 1st round picks in this time - we missed way more than I thought...  No wonder there was a drought.  In the past 10 years (2007-2017 - we have exactly 3 1st round selections who are still on the roster, which includes Eric Wood).

3 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

Werent REALLY a playoff team with Tyrod. I know very little about McCarron i hope he is an upgrade but still need to see him throw... AND WHOOOOOOS THE WR THOOOOOOOOO.

Here's all you and all need to see from AJ. 

He is not afraid to throw to a WR that is covered 1 on 1 (1:04 ish on). Tyrod Taylor's biggest problem as a NFL QB.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

He is not afraid to throw to a WR that is covered 1 on 1. Tyrod Taylor's biggest problem as a NFL QB.

Can he also bring Marvin Jones, Sanu, Green, and Eifert with him?:)

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Can he also bring Marvin Jones, Sanu, Green, and Eifert with him?:)

The typical BS Bills fan response I expected. 

WR and TE make a QB now.? I always assumed it worked the other way around? 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

He is not afraid to throw to a WR that is covered 1 on 1. Tyrod Taylor's biggest problem as a NFL QB.

If I had to make a decision based on that video, no way am I trading up and I wouldn't even draft a QB in the 1st. Kid looks good. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Looper said:

If I had to make a decision based on that video, no way am I trading up and I wouldn't even draft a QB in the 1st. Kid looks good. 

I'm by no means sold on AJ. All it shows is he doesn't play scared like Tyrod throwing the ball. I support him 100% as he will be our starter this year most likely.

Edited by Real McCoy

24 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

What does that prove? Doesnt prove/mean a damn thing. TT has been a starter the last 3 years while McCarron has been sitting the bench behind an average QB. 

lol 

how many years did TT ride a bench in Baltimore and while there how many games did he actually start and win ???  

Dalton is average?   imo he's better than Joe Flacco.  

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

lol 

how many years did TT ride a bench in Baltimore and while there how many games did he actually start and win ???  

Dalton is average?   imo he's better than Joe Flacco.  

So McCarron has a playoff TD that makes him better than TT. By this logic your Dalton is better than Flacco statement couldnt be dumber. Flacco won a superbowl!

19 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

That’s what I’m saying. Tyrod for 3 years had roughly a .500 record.

Mccaron has played what, 4 or 5 games in his career? And that’s because dalton was hurt, he didn’t earn it.

Will he be better? Maybe. Maybe not.

But as of now to claim he’s better than TT is ridiculous as he has done absolutely nothing to earn that

Sorry I misread your post....     AJ is 2-1 in the regular season and 0-1 in the playoffs  ----  but from what I have read and  been told by Bengals fans  AJ scored 16 points in the 4th QRT against the Steelers and the Bengals lost the game by 2 blunders by the Bengals defense lost them the game 18-16.  

Steelers pull out improbable win with help of late Bengals penalties

Chris Boswell kicked a 35-yard field goal with 14 seconds remaining as Pittsburgh somehow pulled out an 18-16 victory thanks to consecutive 15-yard penalties on the Bengals, one on linebacker Vontaze Burfict and another on cornerback Adam Jones.

• Burfict dropped his shoulder and hit a defenseless Brown in the helmet as the All-Pro receiver came across the middle,  
  • Jones lost his cool after getting into it with Steelers assistant coach Joey Porter when Porter came onto the field as Brown was being tended to by trainers.

20 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

The typical BS Bills fan response I expected. 

WR and TE make a QB now.? I always assumed it worked the other way around? 

No need to get upset.

Was just saying Mccaron at best in his short sample size has looked pretty average with some very good weapons. Much better weapons than the Bills have.

He is a bridge QB and may not even start the full year. I wouldn’t get too excited about him if I were you.

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong of course. Only time will tell 

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Sorry I misread your post....     AJ is 2-1 in the regular season and 0-1 in the playoffs  ----  but from what I have read and  been told by Bengals fans  AJ scored 16 points in the 4th QRT against the Steelers and the Bengals lost the game by 2 blunders by the Bengals defense lost them the game 18-16.  

Steelers pull out improbable win with help of late Bengals penalties

Chris Boswell kicked a 35-yard field goal with 14 seconds remaining as Pittsburgh somehow pulled out an 18-16 victory thanks to consecutive 15-yard penalties on the Bengals, one on linebacker Vontaze Burfict and another on cornerback Adam Jones.

• Burfict dropped his shoulder and hit a defenseless Brown in the helmet as the All-Pro receiver came across the middle,  
  • Jones lost his cool after getting into it with Steelers assistant coach Joey Porter when Porter came onto the field as Brown was being tended to by trainers.

All good sir.

Im definitely not saying he will be worse than TT. But I think he has to at least prove consistently that he’s better before we say he is.

Wouldn’t you agree?

Edited by billsfan11

5 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

So McCarron has a playoff TD that makes him better than TT. By this logic your Dalton is better than Flacco statement couldnt be dumber. Flacco won a superbowl!

Dalton is better than Flacco.     

The Ravens Defense was the best in the league and Joe Flacco played smart and the team won.   

The Ravens Defense was the best in the league and Trent Dilfer played smart and the team won.    Dilfer was let go months later.  

Each season in Buffalo Taylor had regressed.   You can't argue that.   

As for AJ   see my last post

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yeah, I agree with this, No.  However, with that caveat that I don't believe AJ dooms us, we just need a lot of help in other areas.

Honestly, guys, even though we are traditionally good against Tannehill are we 9-7 if he is healthy last season?

Don't get me going on both Dolphins games from last year.  I think that the term "finish the game" is way over used in very broad strokes but it certainly fit both 4th quarters last year.  We are not always going to be able to have a timely INT to save our tails.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Don't get me going on both Dolphins games from last year.  I think that the term "finish the game" is way over used in very broad strokes but it certainly fit both 4th quarters last year.  We are not always going to be able to have a timely INT to save our tails.

Well said.

I definitely think we are better than the Dolphins.  However, I also definitely think it could have been 1-1 with them if they have a healthy Tannehill.

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

All good sir.

Im definitely not saying he will be worse than TT. But I think he has to at least prove consistently that he’s better before we say that.

Wouldn’t you agree?

Yes, he has to prove himself as a Buffalo Bill.   The same "achievements" this seasons crop of potential QBs has,  AJ also accomplished plus he has NFL experience.  

I expected the Bills to make the playoffs in 15, 16 and 17.   Now with what I hope to be an improvement over TT I again expect the Bills to make the playoffs.

Proof?  I don't have any  (other than my complaining about TT was correct.  He wasn't good enough to remain on the team).    

36 minutes ago, Looper said:

Boy Looper, I don't know.  His passing was nice, but he does seem to lock on to receivers.  On the TD inside the 10 it almost looked like he could have dropped the snap as he was staring at his target before the play even started.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

McCarron could become a Case Keenum type for the year and surprise us all. If we use our picks and add weapons to the offense and defense I don't see why we couldn't make a run if he plays decent. 3,500 yards 20 td 10 pick type year with an improved defense and solid run game just might do it.

depends on what we do in the draft and if he can play to at least tyrods level last year. our defense was bad last year so if we can fix the run defense and get the same or better run game and a little better passing we can be a decent team. we also need house money to keep making field goals.  I think the front office has done a very good job with the d line but need to see a nice lb in the middle, another d tackle and an o lineman or two along with a wr. A lot to ask but they did it with the secondary last year. 

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

I suppose anything can happen but Mccaron had a chance in free agency to get paid like a starter and teams around the league balked at that. With all the openings and qb needy teams, Mccaron ends up signing a 2 year 10mil deal with the Bills who say he will compete with Peterman for the chance to start. 

Actual GMs around the NFL told us what they think of Mccaron and that is he is a backup or spot starter. Mccaron is being paid about as low as a veteran qb can be paid. 

And watching his games I would tend to agree with the NFL executives. There is nothing special about Mccaron as far as arm talent, size or mobility. He looks like and plays like a backup or low end starter. Most of his playing time took place in 2015 with a absolutely loaded wr corps and offense. Dalton put up great numbers that year as well before he got hurt. Bills don’t have AJ Green, Marvin Jones, M. Sanu, and Eifert to make his life easier.  

Good point.

Dalton had a 106.2 passer rating that year.  Mccarron  had a 97.1 - nearly 10 points lower with the same line and receivers.

What's more concerning is that Dalton was only sacked on 4.9% of his dropbacks that year while Mccarron was sacked on 9.2% of his.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

McCarron could become a Case Keenum type for the year and surprise us all. If we use our picks and add weapons to the offense and defense I don't see why we couldn't make a run if he plays decent. 3,500 yards 20 td 10 pick type year with an improved defense and solid run game just might do it.

Case Keenum was supported greatly by outstanding weapons on offense with Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph along with a very good run game with Murray and McKinnon.   McCarron played with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert  and he wasn't even close to being as effective as Keenum.  Now how do you suppose he'll look with a severely limited arsenal?

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Case Keenum was supported greatly by outstanding weapons on offense with Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph along with a very good run game with Murray and McKinnon.   McCarron played with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert  and he wasn't even close to being as effective as Keenum.  Now how do you suppose he'll look with a severely limited arsenal?

I am saying take the Picks we have if we are not getting a QB and load up with talent to surround him. Maybe a Calvin Ridley at 12? He hasn't played in that many games yet to where I am comfortable in saying he couldn't be the answer. He has been up and down.

1 minute ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I am saying take the Picks we have if we are not getting a QB and load up with talent to surround him. Maybe a Calvin Ridley at 12? He hasn't played in that many games yet to where I am comfortable in saying he couldn't be the answer. He has been up and down.

You don't build around QBs like McCarron.  He's in Buffalo to keep the seat warm. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

all you nay sayers ...  lets all cry    WE'RE DOOMED !!!!!    

I've chimed in on the naysayer side but I don't think we're doomed.

First of all, Mccarron doesn't have a lot of NFL experience as a starter and we've never seen him play in a Daboll system.  He may excel here.  We just don't know.  

Second of all, we might draft a future HOFer who lines up under center and throws for 400 yards in a win on opening day.  Until we know who our QB is - and how good he is - why would anyone say we're doomed?

As of right now, though, I don't believe there's a lot of compelling reasons to believe Mccarron is a playoff caliber QB.  There's just not a lot in his NFL resume to support that proposition.  But I'm not saying we're doomed.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dbflaBill said:

This team shouldnt of been in the playoffs last year. Overall there is no talent on this team. McCoy is the only player worth a damn, and history says hes inline for a below average year this year. 

That's the spirit. 

I really think we are. AJ, more so than Tyrod, should be able to force the defense to respect the pass so they can't key in on the running game / Shady. Hopefully that opens up the offense and lets Shady do even more damage. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yes, he has to prove himself as a Buffalo Bill.   The same "achievements" this seasons crop of potential QBs has,  AJ also accomplished plus he has NFL experience.  

I expected the Bills to make the playoffs in 15, 16 and 17.   Now with what I hope to be an improvement over TT I again expect the Bills to make the playoffs.

Proof?  I don't have any  (other than my complaining about TT was correct.  He wasn't good enough to remain on the team).    

You are a bit optimistic I think haha. I hope they make the playoffs but I don't think they will next year.

Correct about TT? Were you correct that you stated he is not a franchise guy? For sure as I think all of us acknowledged that.

Correct about him being an awful QB?I would say not at all with all due respect. If anything, the browns giving the 65rd pick off the board and multiple teams wanting to trade for TT as their starter would say to me that you were incorrect about how low you valued him. 

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've chimed in on the naysayer side but I don't think we're doomed.

First of all, Mccarron doesn't have a lot of NFL experience as a starter and we've never seen him play in a Daboll system.  He may excel here.  We just don't know.  

Second of all, we might draft a future HOFer who lines up under center and throws for 400 yards in a win on opening day.  Until we know who our QB is - and how good he is - why would anyone say we're doomed?

As of right now, though, I don't believe there's a lot of compelling reasons to believe Mccarron is a playoff caliber QB.  There's just not a lot in his NFL resume to support that proposition.  But I'm not saying we're doomed.  

I know that with you Hondo.  It was shortsighted of me to come off as all inclusive.   

I want to be the cup half full and hope for the best.   

I sure was dreading TT staying on in 18, now I have some hope back.  I Trust the Process.  

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

You are a bit optimistic I think haha. I hope they make the playoffs but I don't think they will next year.

Correct about TT? Were you correct that you stated he is not a franchise guy? For sure as I think all of us acknowledged that.

Correct about him being an awful QB?I would say not at all with all due respect. If anything, the browns giving the 65rd pick off the board and multiple teams wanting to trade for TT as their starter would say to me that you were incorrect about how low you valued him. 

I knew he wasn't the answer midway through 2016 and people called me a hater for it

I knew he wasn't the answer in 17 and people called me a hater for it  and claimed I had an agenda against him.  (credit the now perma banned jm2009) 

I never said he was awful, but that he had 4 awful games this past season, which is twice as bad as past seasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Is it worth even using a draft pick on Rudolph or Jackson ? 

I Think We Are But May Not Be A Super Bowl Contender.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Good point.

Dalton had a 106.2 passer rating that year.  Mccarron  had a 97.1 - nearly 10 points lower with the same line and receivers.

What's more concerning is that Dalton was only sacked on 4.9% of his dropbacks that year while Mccarron was sacked on 9.2% of his.

I think you can chalk a lot of that up to experience, or lack of.  Dalton was in his 5th year vs the first starts of AJ's career. 2015 was also Dalton's best statistical year, the only time he had a rating > 100; most of the time he's been under 90. I really like that AJ was able to comeback in the playoff game @Pitt.  For a guy who was essentially getting his 4th career start, that's impressive.

46 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I know that with you Hondo.  It was shortsighted of me to come off as all inclusive.   

I want to be the cup half full and hope for the best.   

I sure was dreading TT staying on in 18, now I have some hope back.  I Trust the Process.  

No worries, Shady.   I always read your posts because I know you're an informed poster with good reasoning.  We just disagreed on this.  

I used to be the optimist who always tried to find reasons to believe the Bills will be competitive.   And right now the optimist in me wants to believe those who say Mccarron is the QB we've been looking for and we don't need to look any further.

The pessimist in me wants to draft QBs all day long until one proves himself a worthy successor to Jim Kelly.  

I'm trying to be more of a realist these days and the realist in me is somewhere in between the two extremes.  I acknowledge the possibility that Mccarron may be better than some think.  I certainly like the kid's attitude.  But until we have a proven answer (and at this point Mccarron is neither a proven success nor a proven failure), we've got to spend some of our draft capital on a QB.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This line of thinking that AJ hasn't proven anything is way over stated.  The guy has a long history of winning championships.  Folks act like the NFL is the only place where the game of football is played. Is there even one other QB in the league that has won back to back college championships? Oh, I know, college ain't the NFL. But those championships ain't nothing. Honestly, I think Bills fans are more pessimistic about QBs than any team except maybe Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 1