Bills had deal in place with Colts to trade to 3 before Jets swooped in, per WGR

29 minutes ago, Deep2Moulds46 said:

Nate Geary said today in WGR two team sources have told him the bills had a deal in place with the colts to get to 3 and the Jets deal with them really hurt.

He also said that's why they traded Tyrod. Not sure if he meant because they knew they were getting to 3 or if the 3rd round pick from Cleveland was a part of the trade package 

Seems fishy. OBD has been notoriously tight lipped on everything only to have not 1 but 2 "team sources" spill the beans? Not buying it.

What I do believe is they likely knew what it would take to get to 3. Just like I'm sure they know what it will take to get to 1,2,4,6,7,8,9,10. Jets likely overplayed and we declined to do the same if presented an opportunity from the Colts.

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Suh interest is a bit puzzling. 

I'll keep saying it.  Everyone thinks it's crazy.  I'm not 100% sold the Jets are going QB.  They are attacking FA like a front office that knows they need to win now.  I just wouldn't be shocked if the move was to jump the Browns at 4 for Barkley, figuring Barkley at RB could spearhead a quick turnaround like it did for Dallas / Jacksonville the last 2 years.  Their plan is to play McCown, they signed Bridgewater, they still have Hackenburg and Maccagnan knows taking a QB like Allen, who is going to sit for a year or two, basically ensuring they get very little impact from their rookie class, he's basically picking QB of the future for the next guy.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

I'll keep saying it.  Everyone thinks it's crazy.  I'm not 100% sold the Jets are going QB.  They are attacking FA like a front office that knows they need to win now.  I just wouldn't be shocked if the move was to jump the Browns at 4 for Barkley, figuring Barkley at RB could spearhead a quick turnaround like it did for Dallas / Jacksonville the last 2 years.  Their plan is to play McCown, they signed Bridgewater, they still have Hackenburg and Maccagnan knows taking a QB like Allen, who is going to sit for a year or two, basically ensuring they get very little impact from their rookie class, he's basically picking QB of the future for the next guy.

I am. No way you trade up 3 spots and give up 3 2nd round picks for anything other than a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

you draft a young qb who comes in and maybe wins the qb battle gets you another year or two on the job.  if the kid shows serious promise you stay in the office

11 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Seems fishy. OBD has been notoriously tight lipped on everything only to have not 1 but 2 "team sources" spill the beans? Not buying it.

What I do believe is they likely knew what it would take to get to 3. Just like I'm sure they know what it will take to get to 1,2,4,6,7,8,9,10. Jets likely overplayed and we declined to do the same if presented an opportunity from the Colts.

If it's truly coming out of them, I see it as damage control for the fanbase.  "We're sorry we can't get up to the top 3, we thought a deal was done and the Colts double crossed us, be mad at them, not us".

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If it's truly coming out of them, I see it as damage control for the fanbase.  "We're sorry we can't get up to the top 3, we thought a deal was done and the Colts double crossed us, be mad at them, not us".

And, they know they can't get any higher than maybe 7....so we ain't getting the guy we want.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Are we running with the reporting for WGR’s weekend part-time radio host?  Not saying it didn’t happen but I will wait till a legitimate journalists reports that info

My friend, I truly don't care if you believe it or not. I heard it today on WGR and thought I would pass it along. If you want to chalk it up to BS, have at it. Whether or not you (or anyone) believes the report makes no difference to me whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

outside of that? That’s one piece and I clearly stated they don’t have a plan. Plans involve more than one thing 

Lmao so they had an insane off season spending and building up that roster, then get in a position to get a QB in the draft, but yeah, no plan.

11 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

And, they know they can't get any higher than maybe 7....so we ain't getting the guy we want.

Yep.

At this point I think absolute best case is trading up and getting one of Allen or Baker around 7, hopefully only having to give up a 2nd to do it.

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

Why would we not get a chance to up the ante. That makes no sense to cut off bidding. 

100% agree. If this was true, the Colts would have told us, and Beane would have done research to check in on the situation. Colts would have gave us opportunity to "up the ante". Not buying this

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Yep.

At this point I think absolute best case is trading up and getting one of Allen or Baker around 7, hopefully only having to give up a 2nd to do it.

I'm assuming we have Plan B in place now, anything better like say Rosen falling to 7 would be a miracle.

31 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

It's not eBay. Jets didn't outbid them by $1 with 5 seconds left. Bills made their offer, Jets beat it, Bills not willing to beat it or get into a bidding war, Colts made the deal

Maybe we can be draft night snipers?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bills4life1924 said:

100% agree. If this was true, the Colts would have told us, and Beane would have done research to check in on the situation. Colts would have gave us opportunity to "up the ante". Not buying this

What makes you think they would have in fact upped the ante? The cost from 3 to 12 would have already been vastly steeper than from 6 to 3.

In turn the Jets package was going to take an awful lot to beat.

39 minutes ago, BuckeyeBill said:

So maybe we just screwed the Jets?  Especially if we sweep in to #2 and take Rosen.  They'll be smarting for years.

Unless Allen is who the Jets like, in which case they aren't screwed.  That is unless Allen is the QB the Bills also like and would take at #2.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Lmao so they had an insane off season spending and building up that roster, then get in a position to get a QB in the draft, but yeah, no plan.

They had plenty of cap space to keep Mo. They could have simply kept him and added Johnson and had a really good defense. Now teams will just run all over them and they have less pass rush. He was a very good d lineman. I think they actually got worse on defense even though adding johnson. Too many qbs. should have added an oline guy to protect that qb. 

Just now, purple haze said:

Unless Allen is who the Jets like, in which case they aren't screwed.  That is unless Allen is the QB the Bills also like and would take at #2.

Yes we have to be hopeful that one of the top teams takes Allen. And, that Denver passes on QB .....and we can get up to 7....tough

24 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Because no matter what we offered we couldn't offer Colts #6. We would have had to swing a deal for four first. 

Who knows what we would offer unless they ask? Sounds more like we declined the price, but in the end it’s the same result. 

So now let’s learn from it and sit on our hands instead of moving to 2. When another team beats us to that punch and we end up with another JP Losman....we can feel good knowing we had a “deal in place” there too (probably). Stop dicking around, move up before it’s to late and take a QB. Enough next years

39 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Beane wasn't willing to pay the price. Simple as that. If they had a deal it would have gotten done. Jets offered more including a more attractive draft spot. It's not eBay. Jets didn't outbid them by $1 with 5 seconds left. Bills made their offer, Jets beat it, Bills not willing to beat it or get into a bidding war, Colts made the deal

That may well be the case.  The Jets  were desperate and by traditional valuations significant overpaid to move up to #3.  Some would call it bold.  Some would call it foolhardy.  In any case, Beane has a strict eye on value.  I don't see him getting into a bidding war to trade for a premium draft pick.  The other possibility is that McBeane think there is a QB that they can get later on who is not so inferior to the top ones that they can't win with him.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Yes we have to be hopeful that one of the top teams takes Allen. And, that Denver passes on QB .....and we can get up to 7....tough

I have no idea who Beane likes.  Will be interesting to see who Bills get if they do trade up.  Rosen might be available at 4.

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

Why would we not get a chance to up the ante. That makes no sense to cut off bidding. 

Well they might have and Beane declined to up his offer. 

Plus, its not just about the compensation, its about the player Colts covet too.  So they may have preferred the Jets offer so they can still try and land someone they covet that wouldn't be there at 12.

So its not as cut and dry as "best compensation" as part of the trade impacts where the Colts pick next and who they want.  There are some sick prospects who will be at 6 that are all massive needs for the Jets.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Plus, its not just about the compensation, its about the player Colts covet too.  So they may have preferred the Jets offer so they can still try and land someone they covet that wouldn't be there at 12.

So its not as cut and dry as "best compensation" as part of the trade impacts where the Colts pick next and who they want.  There are some sick prospects who will be at 6 that are all massive needs for the Jets.

Did the Jets trade up again?

13 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

They had plenty of cap space to keep Mo. They could have simply kept him and added Johnson and had a really good defense. Now teams will just run all over them and they have less pass rush. He was a very good d lineman. I think they actually got worse on defense even though adding johnson. Too many qbs. should have added an oline guy to protect that qb. 

So your basing your entire synopsis on the Jets having no plan because they let Wilkerson walk? The same guy who was benched by the team because of his off field utter lack of concern his team...

That makes total sense.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That’s basically my point, in response to the people who say we never saw it coming. We would have had a chance to offer more, but it wasn’t in the cards. Our FO didn’t “fail” because the Jets made the offer. We couldn’t “block” that.  Maybe we thought we had until draft day, but we still had a chance to give up more. It was a decision on our part. We’ll know if it was right or wrong in a few years. I still trust the FO, but I know we won’t be 100% correct. Maybe we should have sucked more last year? I’m not going there...

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

So now let’s learn from it and sit on our hands instead of moving to 2. When another team beats us to that punch and we end up with another JP Losman....we can feel good knowing we had a “deal in place” there too (probably). Stop dicking around, move up before it’s to late and take a QB. Enough next years

2 might not even be for sale.  Sure it's a target but it might not be for sale.  Face it, we might get screwed out of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.  We just might get the door slammed in our face no matter what we are offering.  The pick has to be for sale.

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

My guess is why trade up to 3 if the Jets would just trade up to 2 or 1. So maybe the Bills had a chance to beat the Jets offer but decided to go higher. 

It's pretty obvious right now that if Beane doesn't get a trade done it's a huge failure. 

That's only if those picks are up for sale.  I don't think they are and that's why the Jets got 3.

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

2 might not even be for sale.  Sure it's a target but it might not be for sale.  Face it, we might get screwed out of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.  We just might get the door slammed in our face no matter what we are offering.  The pick has to be for sale.

That's only if those picks are up for sale.  I don't think they are and that's why the Jets got 3.

If they are for sale few teams can top the Bills offer. The Bills pick in 2019 looks like a top 5 pick right now. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Also, if the Colts said "we've got a deal" and got off the phone with us, only to call the Jets, or field a call from the Jets, eff them forever.

Feeling like 2004 all over, having a supposed deal done to move up and the other team backing out.

Yep 2004 all over again and we are going to miss out on a top QB

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep 2004 all over again and we are going to miss out on a top QB

Or 1999 where Couch, McNabb, and Akili Smith went 1, 2, 3 and Culpepper fell to 11.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1