Which Narratives From The Bills Fanbase Do You NOT Subscribe To?

Buffalo Bills fans are probably the most loyal fanbase - perhaps in all of professional sports.  With that being said, like most fanbases (or most families) it doesn't mean that everyone always agrees.  There are several narratives floating around this message board, and conflicting opinions which arise in conversation when talking Bills.  I am curious to know, which narratives that are out there, do you not buy. There are several that I can think of off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'll be able to add more.  Here's a few:

Doug Whaley was a good GM

Sorry but it's hard to make this argument.  You can say that Doug was good at finding free agent talent and that he did have some circumstances which made his job tough, but at the end of the day he didn't draft well, never knew how to build a team, and left the Bills in salary cap hell.

The 2017-2018 Bills "backed into the playoffs" and were lucky to get in. 

Many teams have gotten into the playoffs and even won the Super Bowls thank to fortunate situations.  No one goes back and says "yeah the Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2001 but they were lucky because of the tuck rule."  I could rattle off countless scenarios.  Could have. Should Have. Would Have.  Get over it.  

Bill Polian Was Overrated as a GM

I was quick to point out how often Polian missed in the draft, but that doesn't mean he was a bad GM.  He probably is one of the biggest factors in turning around the Bills in the 80's and is well deserving of a Hall of Fame selection.

John Butler Rode Bill Polian's Coat Tails

Again, completely untrue.  Butler was a great GM who often draft well (sans 2000) and made some excellent free agent acquisitions.  The Bills team in 1999 was extremely talented and was perhaps on Special Teams play from making a serious run at the Super Bowl.

The Bills Never Should Have Traded Sammy Watkins

ln hindsight, this was the right move for the team as it is clear they probably never would have resigned Sammy for the $16M a year he received on the open market.   By trading him, they received a 2nd round pick, a competent start for one season, and they still made the playoffs.

Those are a few - I'd love to hear yours

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Buffalo Bills fans are probably the most loyal fanbase - perhaps in all of professional sports.  With that being said, like most fanbases (or most families) it doesn't mean that everyone always agrees.  There are several narratives floating around this message board, and conflicting opinions which arise in conversation when talking Bills.  I am curious to know, which narratives that are out there, do you not buy. There are several that I can think of off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'll be able to add more.  Here's a few:

Sorry but it's hard to make this argument.  You can say that Doug was good at finding free agent talent and that he did have some circumstances which made his job tough, but at the end of the day he didn't draft well, never knew how to build a team, and left the Bills in salary cap hell.

Many teams have gotten into the playoffs and even won the Super Bowls thank to fortunate situations.  No one goes back and says "yeah the Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2001 but they were lucky because of the tuck rule."  I could rattle off countless scenarios.  Could have. Should Have. Would Have.  Get over it.  

I was quick to point out how often Polian missed in the draft, but that doesn't mean he was a bad GM.  He probably is one of the biggest factors in turning around the Bills in the 80's and is well deserving of a Hall of Fame selection.

Again, completely untrue.  Butler was a great GM who often draft well (sans 2000) and made some excellent free agent acquisitions.  The Bills team in 1999 was extremely talented and was perhaps on Special Teams play from making a serious run at the Super Bowl.

ln hindsight, this was the right move for the team as it is clear they probably never would have resigned Sammy for the $16M a year he received on the open market.   By trading him, they received a 2nd round pick, a competent start for one season, and they still made the playoffs.

I guess #2...

Upon reading this the 1st thing I thought was EVERYONE thinks that Pats team got lucky bc of the Tuck Rule. Hell, even the Bledose hit.

That said, I'm not sure how backing in w a crazy play at the last conceivable play makes the 17 Bills a contender. Them getting in as they did would have been the narrative all post season long..

Bringing us full circle to #2 I guess?

Now that I've figured it out... Now what? And what does it mean?

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

I guess #2...

Upon reading this the 1st thing I thought was EVERYONE thinks that Pats team got lucky bc of the Tuck Rule. Hell, even the Bledose hit.

That said, I'm not sure how backing in w a crazy play at the last conceivable play makes the 17 Bills a contender. Them getting in as they did would have been the narrative all post season long..

OK my point is, it seems like when every some fans talk about the Bills season this year they put as asterisk next to it and preface by says "they only got in because of Andy Dalton."  You can find asterisks in nearly every NFL season, but most people don't because it's irrelevant

1 minute ago, zonabb said:

That TB12 and BB are not the greatest QB and HC ever. They are.

I'll +1 this.....  The fact that Tom Brady was not better than Joe Montana because he lost 3 Super Bowls When Joe was 4-0

Just now, NoSaint said:

If you are going to start a thread for every random idea that pops in your head, I appreciate that you consolidated all of today’s into a single post 

Here's another one - The fact that fans should not start threads on a message boards. I  mean - THE AUDACITY!!!!

That Bills fans are stupid fans because they root for a bad team. 17 years was a long time. Not to mention many people are born into their fandom or atleast inspired by close friends, family or where ya live. I'd be willing to bet Bills fans have the highest football IQ and are more aware fans overall. The information we have sifted through trying to figure out how to end this drought. Accruing knowledge is what happens when you cross off every possibility imaginable when trying to stop the bleeding.

The heavy activity on this message board atleast shows our interest is heavier than most teams.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, slaphappy said:

He was basically Tyrod Taylor  only major differences were 3 times as many INT's and balls batted down...career completion % in the low 50's and his own cereal 

The similarities are there.  I think Tyrod was a bette athlete and Doug might have been a little better as a passer, but you might be into something.

Doug’s team had a much better defense which might account for why he had a better W-L than Tyrod

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

The similarities are there.  I think Tyrod was a bette athlete and Doug might have been a little better as a passer, but you might be into something.

Doug’s team had a much better defense which might account for why he had a better W-L than Tyrod

He was the best QB on that team. Not saying he was horrible.. 

Can’t stand the whole “backed into” the postseason narrative. Going 4-2 to end a season is the opposite of backing into the post season. Bottom line is bills did what they needed over 16 games and the ravens didn’t. 

All the tanking talks make me sick too. Bills made the friggin playoffs all while overhauling the roster, aquiring draft picks to STILL be have a shot a “franchise qb”,  and opening up cap space. That’s called having your cake and eating it too. A certain few can take those tanking remarks and shove them where the sun don’t shine. Sickening 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You have to tank in order to get a good QB. Its the only way.

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Can’t stand the whole “backed into” the postseason narrative. Going 4-2 to end a season is the opposite of backing into the post season. Bottom line is bills did what they needed over 16 games and the ravens didn’t. 

All the tanking talks make me sick too. Bills made the friggin playoffs all while overhauling the roster, aquiring draft capitol, and opening up cap space. That’s called having your cake and eating it too. A certain few can take those tanking remarks and shove them where the sun don’t shine. Sickening 

This **** drives me nuts too.  Just plain dumb. Dumb as (Defend Our) Dirt.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

I'll say the whole "bills fans are the craziest in the NFL" thing. Yes, we definitely have a passionate fan base. However, every teams fan base is rowdy and drinks too much at games and does dumb things. Especially the smaller market teams.

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'll say the whole "bills fans are the craziest in the NFL" thing. Yes, we definitely have a passionate fan base. However, every teams fan base is rowdy and drinks too much at games and does dumb things. Especially the smaller market teams.

I don’t disagree with this to an extent but I’ve taken fans of other teams with me that have frequented their own teams stadium tailgates and that of other teams and each and every single one of them says they’vd Never experienced one like orchard park. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

You're wrong. I bring this up every chance I get.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I don’t disagree with this to an extent but I’ve taken fans of other teams with me that have frequented their own teams stadium tailgates and that of other teams and each and every single one of them says they’vd Never experienced one like orchard park. 

Seattle and Dallas at least at Texas Stadium have nothing to compare.

51 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

OK my point is, it seems like when every some fans talk about the Bills season this year they put as asterisk next to it and preface by says "they only got in because of Andy Dalton."  You can find asterisks in nearly every NFL season, but most people don't because it's irrelevant

So you are saying we should pretend last year's team was better? 

36 minutes ago, T&C said:

Bills "mafia" is the dumbest thing I've heard lately... I'll just stick to being a Bills fan. Mafia? lol... 

Well well well.  It's @T&C from the Bills Message Board.  I feel like Indigo Montaya finally getting to confront the One Arm Man.  You treated me and a lot of other good fans like crap over at BBMB - not really a big fan of you

8 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

So you are saying we should pretend last year's team was better? 

Better than what?  I'm just saying you should say they made the playoffs.  Period.

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Keeping TT in 17 was a huge mistake.   

As a member of both TSW & BBMB 

Creating 10 threads a day is a bit obsessive and frowned upon. 

THE AUDACITY of a member creating a thread in a message board.

21 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Fred Jackson is not a good person for a roast. 

This was pretty funny....  even though I do agree he was not a good person to roast!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Doug Whaley's Notable draft picks

2017-*Tre White, Zay Jones, *Dion Dawkins, *Matt Millano, Tanner Vallejo

2016-Reggie Ragland, Adolphus Washington, Jonathan Williams, (Shaq Lawson?)

2015-*Ronald Darby, John Miller, Nick O'Leary

2014-Sammy Watkins(Gonna shut a lot of mouths this year), Preston Brown, Ross Cockrell, Seantrel Henderson

2013-I Credit to Nix

*A steal for Draft slot

Analysis based on slot and whether they had any success accordingly.  GMs draft according to player potential if they reach that potential on another team then the GM was right and the coach couldn't get it done.  Whaley had issues as a GM that I can't fully argue against but I don't think he got to pick his coach and I think he finally found his QB and got over-ruled.

I truely believe we would have been better sooner with Whaley/Lynn/Whisenhunt/Bradly/Trubisky or Watson, but I am happy with the current situation even if it takes an extra year.

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

Doug Whaley's Notable draft picks

2017-*Tre White, Zay Jones, *Dion Dawkins, *Matt Millano, Tanner Vallejo

2016-Reggie Ragland, Adolphus Washington, Jonathan Williams, (Shaq Lawson?)

2015-*Ronald Darby, John Miller, Nick O'Leary

2014-Sammy Watkins(Gonna shut a lot of mouths this year), Preston Brown, Ross Cockrell, Seantrel Henderson

2013-I Credit to Nix

*A steal for Draft slot

Analysis based on slot and whether they had any success accordingly.  GMs draft according to player potential if they reach that potential on another team then the GM was right and the coach couldn't get it done.  Whaley had issues as a GM that I can't fully argue against but I don't think he got to pick his coach and I think he finally found his QB and got over-ruled.

I truely believe we would have been better sooner with Whaley/Lynn/Whisenhunt/Bradly/Trubisky or Watson, but I am happy with the current situation even if it takes an extra year.

LOL You can't possibly give Doug credit for the 2017 draft picks.  He did not make those selections.  In fact, many reported that he loved Trubisky and wanted to trade up for him.  McDermott wasn't having it.  

The rest of that list is not very good at all.  His best selection was either Ron Darby in the 2nd or Preston Brown in the 3rd.  These are competent NFL starters, but hardly exceptional picks.   The rest of the lineup isn't very good.  

Again - Doug was not good at drafting

35 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

LOL You can't possibly give Doug credit for the 2017 draft picks.  He did not make those selections.  In fact, many reported that he loved Trubisky and wanted to trade up for him.  McDermott wasn't having it.  

The rest of that list is not very good at all.  His best selection was either Ron Darby in the 2nd or Preston Brown in the 3rd.  These are competent NFL starters, but hardly exceptional picks.   The rest of the lineup isn't very good.  

Again - Doug was not good at drafting

No you don't want to give him credit.  Those players were scouted well before the draft.  Why do you think the entire staff was eliminated.  They were Whaley's guys, unless you think McDermott scouted everyone himself.  Beane and McDermott even acknowledge it.  Whaley's team did the research and graded the players.

And 2016, 2015, 2014

If you want to do it like that

2013-Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso, Marquise Goodwin, Dustin Hopkins

I stated the bold above so I already know it was a fact as well as the fact he also wanted Watson.

Keep your blinders on Bud wouldn't want your opinion to change that might mean you were wrong.  Researching this for a second time has me feeling Nix was a better GM than I had felt before.  I learned to acknowledge the fact that player development falls on the coach.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Your first sentence - Buffalo fans are so in love with themselves it's almost embarrassing.  They aren't much better or worse than probably 90% of all fanbases. There are a couple bad sports towns, but most are about the same.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Well well well.  It's @T&C from the Bills Message Board.  I feel like Indigo Montaya finally getting to confront the One Arm Man.  You treated me and a lot of other good fans like crap over at BBMB - not really a big fan of you

Better than what?  I'm just saying you should say they made the playoffs.  Period.

THE AUDACITY of a member creating a thread in a message board.

This was pretty funny....  even though I do agree he was not a good person to roast!

6 fingered man. One armed man is from the Fugitive.

Edited by klos63
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Ok. I can't disagree, its a fact. 

That said, what is the point?

I figured out where I fall in your senerio.

What is the overarching theme that unites and connects the catagories?.

What is my takeaway here? I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Like those quizzes that used to be in the teeny bopper mags. At least at the end of a quiz you figured out what type of kisser you were - for example. 

Was the answer key listed on the old Bills message board or something and that's why I'm lost?

I just want to know what kind of kisser I am lol

Edited by gobills1212