Bill Polian would take AJ McCarron over 2017 NFL Draft prospects

Let me ask you this !! ( example ) 

if we knew today that AJ McCarrone could be Alex Smith 2.0 would you still want to move up to get a QB or just use all our picks to build around him ??

Just now, Putin said:

if we knew today that AJ McCarrone could be Alex Smith 2.0 would you still want to move up to get a QB or just use all our picks to build around him ??

I'd still try and move up if I could get Josh Rosen. There is a reason teams move on from Alex Smith.  He is a really good QB (and I don't actually think McCarron can be Alex Smith v2.0) but he is too limited to go and win you a Championship unless everything around him is not just good but basically perfect.  If I had a QB of a Smith level though then I would not consider anyone other than Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield in this draft. 

9 minutes ago, Putin said:

Which Smith are you getting? 2017 Smith? Or earlier? If he can play at 2017 level, your problems are solved If it's the earlier Smith I still like him but I draft somebody else as well..

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd still try and move up if I could get Josh Rosen. There is a reason teams move on from Alex Smith.  He is a really good QB (and I don't actually think McCarron can be Alex Smith v2.0) but he is too limited to go and win you a Championship unless everything around him is not just good but basically perfect.  If I had a QB of a Smith level though then I would not consider anyone other than Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield in this draft. 

Fair enough !!!

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Which Smith are you getting? 2017 Smith? Or earlier? If he can play at 2017 level, your problems are solved If it's the earlier Smith I still like him but I draft somebody else as well..

Some QB’s take a little time to develop , 

we also know that the right coach/system can make all the difference 

33 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Bill Polian would take AJ McCarron over 2017 NFL Draft prospects

But you folks remember how undersold Trubisky, Watson, etc. were before the draft. "Wait till next season" was all we heard on here. This article is a year old, a pre-draft piece from last year. I bet if you asked him now who he'd rather have, Trubisky, Watson or McCarron, he'd probably have a very different answer.

IMHO Polian was underestimating Trubisky, Mahomet, Watson, etc., the way most people did at the time.

If McCarron can become a reliable long term back up QB for the Bills  I will be one happy camper.

Anymore would be winning the lottery (we are overdue  :) )

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

But you folks remember how undersold Trubisky, Watson, etc. were before the draft. "Wait till next season" was all we heard on here. This article is a year old, a pre-draft piece from last year. I bet if you asked him now who he'd rather have, Trubisky, Watson or McCarron, he'd probably have a very different answer.

IMHO Polian was underestimating Trubisky, Mahomet, Watson, etc., the way most people did at the time.

Or, maybe McCarron is better than all those guys and Bills have their franchise QB.  Maybe in 2 years, McCarron is the franchise and Lamar is a budding WR, and Polian is being touted as a genius.  Or probably not.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I’m not sold on Trubisky just yet , Mahomes will know more this year , I do like Watson a lot , 

41 minutes ago, Putin said:

Move up and get a qb hands down. Smith has been an average qb throughout his career and has won nothing. Had Tyrod type numbers every year except last year

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

I’m not sold on Trubisky just yet , Mahomes will know more this year , I do like Watson a lot , 

If Watson doesn't learn to stay in the pocket and trust his arm he will be injured every year. Watson could develop into a top 5 QB if he just avoids contact at all costs.

1 minute ago, Wsam4031 said:

Move up and get a qb hands down. Smith has been an average qb throughout his career and has won nothing. Had Tyrod type numbers every year except last year

Tyrod had 4 games last year in which we managed to only score 3 points , 

I’m sorry but Tyrod is not on the same level with Alex Smith !!! 

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Watson doesn't learn to stay in the pocket and trust his arm he will be injured every year. Watson could develop into a top 5 QB if he just avoids contact at all costs.

If I’m not mistaken Watson was averaging over 300 ypg with 4 td’s , 

2 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

If the rumors are true and we do move up to get Rosen, our QB's look a LOT better this year than they did last year. McCarron / Rosen / Peterman gives us some hope. 

I’m really not a big fan of Rosen , I like Mayfield a lot , but I think so do the Jets it wouldn’t surprise that the Jets take him with Rosen still being there ,

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Putin said:

I’m really not a big fan of Rosen , I like Mayfield a lot , but I think so do the Jets it wouldn’t surprise that the Jets take him with Rosen still being there ,

My preference would be Baker as well, but I think they'll go for Rosen or Darnold ( or maybe Allen ) instead based on what Beane is looking for in a QB. My hope is that it is not Darnold. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Because he doesnt think Lamar Jackson is good?  

No because he was a terrible GM for the Colts and has been out of touch for a very long time.

He also likes to make up S*^, like he had a first round grade on Tom Brady before he was Tom Brady, but he didn't draft him, even in the 4th or 5th Rd. 

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Why the man got pretty impressive resume 

No, he doesnt. He had a decade of S*** the bed for the Colts. 

He is so out of touch with the NFL today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Putin said:

i hope not. my perfect scenario would be...

1.darnold

2. barkley

3.rosen or allen

4. bills trade 2019 1st and take mayfield

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

AJM is a low risk, high upside signing.  We know at bare minimum he's going to be average, and if the O is designed around his skills, could be much more.  None of that can be said about the draft class, none of whom have taken a single snap in the NFL.  Any one of them could be the next coming of aaron rogers, or the next coming of deshone kizer.  If history tells us anything, the latter is more likely than the former.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Wait.. When did Polian lose his god like status on here?  Must not have gotten the memo.  

Only when he says something different then what Bills can want to hear.

AJ McCarron better then the prospects in the draft, he's old and out of touch

This year's draft class is great and full of franchise guys, he's a football savant and TP is an idiot for not bringing him back in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Tyrod had 4 games last year in which we managed to only score 3 points , 

I’m sorry but Tyrod is not on the same level with Alex Smith !!! 

If I’m not mistaken Watson was averaging over 300 ypg with 4 td’s , 

Besides last year they have been very similar numbers. I think they are both avg qbs with smith being a little bit better just due to the 1 good year he had last year

2015 Smith      2015 Taylor             2016 Smith          2016 Taylor

C%      65.3                  63.7                         67.1                        61.7

Yards 3,486                3,035                       3502                       3023

TD       20                     20                             15                           17

Int        7                        6                              8                              6

rating 95.4                   99.4                         91.2                       89.7