Marshall Newhouse visiting Bills

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't you know McBeane is god and they have all the answers and we are just pathetic fans who's opinion is laughable compared to the utter brilliance of McBeane?

scott talk!

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

Bandit, you know I respect your opinion but if memory serves me correctly you stated that Ducasse may be the worst Guard in the league.  Well, I'm not saying he's good but he definitely was pretty close to average last year.  Not just according to PFF but from everything that I saw from him. He would whiff on some blocks and he would also make key blocks.  In other words he was not nearly as bad as you thought he'd be.    https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/vladimir-ducasse/5586

This Marshall guy, I really have no idea what he has done, but according to PFF he has been poor.   Not that PFF is the be-all-end-all but it is a metric.

For sure I thought Vlad was the worst guard in football.  For quite a while, he looked that way with the Bills last year, but he did show some improvement as the year progressed.

I still wouldn't want him as my starting guard, and I'd be less than enthused about him on my roster as a whole.  I generally feel the same way about Newhouse.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

For sure I thought Vlad was the worst guard in football.  For quite a while, he looked that way with the Bills last year, but he did show some improvement as the year progressed.

I still wouldn't want him as my starting guard, and I'd be less than enthused about him on my roster as a whole.  I generally feel the same way about Newhouse.

It seems to me if Bodine and Newhouse are the depth FA's Beane is looking at, after QB and maybe ILB the next couple of picks need

to be OL.

50 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't you know McBeane is god and they have all the answers and we are just pathetic fans who's opinion is laughable compared to the utter brilliance of McBeane?

If you hate our coach and GM so much, what exactly are you a fan of?  I don't remember anyone saying these guys were perfect.  We know that they're not.  The question is do they have the Bills headed in the right direction?  I believe the answer to that question is a resounding yes.

11 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

If you hate our coach and GM so much, what exactly are you a fan of?  I don't remember anyone saying these guys were perfect.  We know that they're not.  The question is do they have the Bills headed in the right direction?  I believe the answer to that question is a resounding yes.

Scott's mad because they traded players that he previously trashed but since they're no longer with the Bills, were superstars.

• Haha (+1) 1

He's no good. Neither is Mills.

The fact that Seantrel was signed so quickly this year leads me to believe what I believed all along, which is he should have been playing instead of Mills last season. 

Miller or Groy should have been playing instead of Ducasse. I trust the process and all, but their O-line decisions have been horrendous imo. 

I'd rather roll with Conor McDermott than sign Newhouse. He will give you at least equal value for a quarter of the price.

Maybe Cam Fleming will be cheap...his FA interests has been lukewarm at best thus far.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown

29 minutes ago, MJS said:

Other than McBeane being god, I agree with this. Fans who think they know more than the professionals are silly.

Professionals draft poorly at times. Sign bad free agents. Write contracts that are horrible. Just being a "professional" means little more at times.

When you see a guy that constantly struggles on the field like Newhouse..well let's just say even a fan can have an accurate educated guess as to how it's going to go. That said, players like Newhouse are needed to fill out a roster. Cannot have 53 All-Pros...and the Bills are pretty broke this year. It wouldn't be a bad signing for depth as he is versitle. But as Beane said, FA aqusitions for us at this point won't move the needle.

33 minutes ago, ALF said:

“We had some inconsistency at right tackle, obviously,” Gruden said. “Newhouse, he had some moments where he played well. He had some moments where he obviously struggled.”

According to Pro Football Focus, Newhouse allowed 38 quarterback pressures last season, 13 more than left tackle Donald Penn, 16 more than right guard Gabe Jackson, 21 more than left guard Kelechi Osemele and 35 more than center Rodney Hudson.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/12/raiders-cut-starting-right-tackle-marshall-newhouse/

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Bandit, you know I respect your opinion but if memory serves me correctly you stated that Ducasse may be the worst Guard in the league.  Well, I'm not saying he's good but he definitely was pretty close to average last year.  Not just according to PFF but from everything that I saw from him. He would whiff on some blocks and he would also make key blocks.  In other words he was not nearly as bad as you thought he'd be.    https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/vladimir-ducasse/5586

This Marshall guy, I really have no idea what he has done, but according to PFF he has been poor.   Not that PFF is the be-all-end-all but it is a metric.

PFF's methodology for rating OL play is seriously flawed.  I don't know what their problem is, whether it is how they determine blocking assignments or how they define sacks, pressures, success etc or how much weight they give various elements in their algorithm, but something is off because their ratings don't often match the results on the field. 

PFF rated all of the Bills starting OLers last season as average or better IIRC.  They rated the Bills OL as a top ten unit.  That simply wasn't true.  The OL was not better in giving Taylor time to throw or opening holes for Shady in 2017 than it had been in 2016, and they were only an average OL in 2016.  All of the OLers except Ducasse struggled with the new blocking scheme in the first half of the season, and it was reflected in generally poor individual performances.  It was in the second half of the season that the OLers started playing better. 

Ducasse has never, ever been anything but a backup -- and not always a particularly good one -- over the course of his 8 year NFL career.  Then he comes to Buffalo and suddenly becomes a starter and helps elevate an average OL missing its starting LT to top ten in the league.  If Ducasse were a young player on only his second team, that scenario might be at least plausible but it says to me that the stat boys at PFF are full of excrement.

Newhouse has experience playing both tackle positions, which is a good depth player for a team to have.  As long as he's a backup and not a regular starter, he'd make a good signing.  Fans should worry if he were penciled in as the starting RT.

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The fact that Seantrel was signed so quickly this year leads me to believe what I believed all along, which is he should have been playing instead of Mills last season. 

Miller or Groy should have been playing instead of Ducasse. I trust the process and all, but their O-line decisions have been horrendous imo. 

I'd rather roll with Conor McDermott than sign Newhouse. He will give you at least equal value for a quarter of the price.

Maybe Cam Fleming will be cheap...his FA interests has been lukewarm at best thus far.  

I think Dennison was part of the problem. Forced his zone scheme on players. Much better at power...

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Seantrel looked horrible last year when he tried to play.  He lacked strength to keep up due to his disease.

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

Professionals draft poorly at times. Sign bad free agents. Write contracts that are horrible. Just being a "professional" means little more at times.

When you see a guy that constantly struggles on the field like Newhouse..well let's just say even a fan can have an accurate educated guess as to how it's going to go. That said, players like Newhouse are needed to fill out a roster. Cannot have 53 All-Pros...and the Bills are pretty broke this year. It wouldn't be a bad signing for depth as he is versitle. But as Beane said, FA aqusitions for us at this point won't move the needle.

As long as he doesn't play it's fine. When you fill the bottom of your roster with terrible players who are expected to start, you are in a bad way. Newhouse is fine as long as he is like the 4th tackle. 

It's now the second and third tier of free agency it's never really too pretty but it can fill holes. If you're trading away a bunch of your draft choices to move up you're going to need fill as many holes as possible in other ways.

If they sign Newhouse I just look at it as competition for the swing tackle spot with Connor McDermott.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

If the right side of Buffalo's OL this year consists of Ducasse and Newhouse,  I will be watching with a puke bucket at the ready.

...and if Castillo is coaching them, better bring a SECOND bucket................

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Yeah, the professionals who make the big bucks absolutely make mistakes, which tells me that putting almost any fan in that position would be a complete and utter disaster.

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Seantrel looked horrible last year when he tried to play.  He lacked strength to keep up due to his disease.

I mean the Texans are willing to give him 1 year and 4 million. That's double what we pay Mills. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

As long as he doesn't play it's fine. When you fill the bottom of your roster with terrible players who are expected to start, you are in a bad way. Newhouse is fine as long as he is like the 4th tackle. 

In what situation would a "bottom of your roster" player be expected to start? That would make them a "Top of the Roster" player.

Just now, MJS said:

In what situation would a "bottom of your roster" player be expected to start? That would make them a "Top of the Roster" player.

That's my point. We are trying to justify this possible move as a bottom of the roster filler move, when he is gonna come here and wind up competing to start. 

This is the same conversation we all had about Ducasse last year. We figured he'd be released at some point roster bottom feeder...nope. Started many games and was terrible. 

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

That's doesn't mean anything.  Teams make bad decisions all the time.

I think it does. He was sought after on like the first day of free agency. There is potential there. Remember how many people were chasing after Mills when he was a free agent last year? Yeah nobody and he took our lowball offer. The league has decided he blows. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That's my point. We are trying to justify this possible move as a bottom of the roster filler move, when he is gonna come here and wind up competing to start. 

This is the same conversation we all had about Ducasse last year. We figured he'd be released at some point roster bottom feeder...nope. Started many games and was terrible. 

Exactly.  Watching an offense with a "not very good/bad" OL is horrible.

I was not a big fan of TT but I do believe he hid a lot of pass protection problems with last years OL.

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, the professionals who make the big bucks absolutely make mistakes, which tells me that putting almost any fan in that position would be a complete and utter disaster.

Soon as you put a fan it that position they become the pro. So it's a moot point. 

The fact is there are many times that for one reason or another those in the know swing and miss in obvious decisions. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Is Newhouse as bad as Mills? I've never watched him close.

...quite the "ringing " endorsement..........

Free agent OT Marshall Newhouse is visiting the Bills.

Newhouse has been one of the NFL's worst tackles since he entered the league with Green Bay and just got cut by the Raiders. In Buffalo, he would likely compete with Jordan Mills for the starting right tackle job opposite LT Dion Dawkins. Mar 19 - 1:27 PM
  • Haha (+1) 1

And sorry guys, I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but I myself was a crappy O-lineman in college and I coach high school linemen. When I see terrible guys play it makes me so mad and frustrated and makes me question if they were even coached at all. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

They brought the guy in for a  free meal and a beer.  What does everybody get so excited about?  Tough time of the season to report anything.  Wait for the draft.  That should be fun and than you all can complain about that.  Experts that you are.  

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

And sorry guys, I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but I myself was a crappy O-lineman in college and I coach high school linemen. When I see terrible guys play it makes me so mad and frustrated and makes me question if they were even coached at all. 

I agree with what you have been saying.  Bill's OL roster does not have 5 true NFL starters let alone decent reserves.

If the Bill's (before McCarron was signed) had Peterman only and brought in the likes of Mark Sanchez to compete this

board would melt down.  I see Bodine and Newhouse in the same light as that.

As of right now, I'm hoping Connor McDermott can push to be a competent swing tackle because if we use up a bunch

of draft picks on a QB then we won't be picking upper level OL's in the draft. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

For every FA, this year or next, I continue to say, "I trust the process...and Mr. Beane"....they've earned that right thus far....next year's record and team will see if they get another year or two or three, but to me, what the team has done since McD and his staff got her, and all the changes they've made since Beane and his staff were assembled, I think they get the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. JMO

26 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

For every FA, this year or next, I continue to say, "I trust the process...and Mr. Beane"....they've earned that right thus far....next year's record and team will see if they get another year or two or three, but to me, what the team has done since McD and his staff got her, and all the changes they've made since Beane and his staff were assembled, I think they get the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. JMO

I love everything they have done except for offensive line and quarterback. They definitely get the benefit of the doubt from me, but I want to see their true plan for those spots, 

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I love everything they have done except for offensive line and quarterback. They definitely get the benefit of the doubt from me, but I want to see their true plan for those spots, 

Honestly, I would "assume" that their plan for both of those is the Draft. However, I really like the AJ signing. To me it sends a clear message that we're not going to try and continue to re-tread old tires, and we're willing to take a small but important risk if we believe the pay-off is worth it. And let's face it, AJ's NFL numbers coupled with his college career show there IS promise and reasons to be excited about his potential but that potential needs to be realized. To me though, it's better than just getting a career back-up....again, IMHO, it also shows they think they "might" need a guy like AJ to play for at least next year and maybe the full two years, which was probably the selling point to AJ. He could come in and hopefully (for him) to start next year, play the year and put it all out there as to what he is capable of, and either make the Bills trade him, extend him, or simply let him go somewhere that he wants to be....or, God forbid, he plays lights out and the Bills are essentially forced to....keep him! :ph34r:.....long shot, but that's what AJ should be: promise with potential.

37 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Honestly, I would "assume" that their plan for both of those is the Draft. However, I really like the AJ signing. To me it sends a clear message that we're not going to try and continue to re-tread old tires, and we're willing to take a small but important risk if we believe the pay-off is worth it. And let's face it, AJ's NFL numbers coupled with his college career show there IS promise and reasons to be excited about his potential but that potential needs to be realized. To me though, it's better than just getting a career back-up....again, IMHO, it also shows they think they "might" need a guy like AJ to play for at least next year and maybe the full two years, which was probably the selling point to AJ. He could come in and hopefully (for him) to start next year, play the year and put it all out there as to what he is capable of, and either make the Bills trade him, extend him, or simply let him go somewhere that he wants to be....or, God forbid, he plays lights out and the Bills are essentially forced to....keep him! :ph34r:.....long shot, but that's what AJ should be: promise with potential.

I actually really like the AJ signing...I don't like the reports that their first target was McCown. He impresses me enough that I wouldn't totally have a cow if they don't get a quarterback this year. If it isn't Darnold, Allen, or Rosen, I don't see an upgrade, so I would rather see what a guy like McCarron has. 

But how a GM handles quarterback really defines their tenure. Doug Whaley did some good things, but EJ Manuel sealed his fate. This is teh biggest decision for McBeane and if they aren't 1 million percent on a guy this year, they shouldn't bother. 

• Like (+1) 1