Why not Andrew Luck? The Colts are in a great position.

The more time that passes and the Bills don’t do anything to address the QB position the more it convinces me that they definitely have a plan in place. I mean who gets rid of their starting QB and not have one in place?? Before anyone suggests that whatever rookie that is suppose to be taken in the draft, none of them are projected to be NFL ready right out of the gate. Is Peterman suppose to start?? I think not. Are the remaining FA QBs the answer? I would think not because that would be like writing off the season even before the season starts. Trading for Foles wouldn’t be hateful, maybe that’s the plan but looking at where the Colts are at in the draft (#3 overall pick) and all the draft capital that we have why couldn’t we make a run at Luck? Between last year’s publicity (team propaganda) and having a lunatic owner in Irsay I would say that anything is possible. Already having the #3 pick overall and all the prime draft picks that we could provide, the Colts would sure be able to address a lot of their team’s weaknesses. So far McBeane has shown they are not at all intimidated by making big decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1

I actually agree with much of this. From the Colts perspective, it’s actually an optimal time to do this. They can free the cap space, grab a new franchise QB on rookie pay scale, rid themselves of any shoulder concerns, and pick up a couple draft picks to fill more holes. 

From the Bills perspective, they keep more of their draft picks than if they were trading up to top 3 and can handle the cap hit. And get a proven commodity. 

I actually think the price to make this happen wouldn’t be too expensive and a huge win win for both teams. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Andrew Luck is not available. 

Unless you are the Colts front office you do not know this.  You are speculating.  The Colts are rebuilding and if they love a qb coming out I could see this.  I don't think it will happen but I would not be surprised.  It could be why the Bills haven't made a move yet.  It also could be why McDaniels didn't take the job.

1 minute ago, dubs said:

I actually agree with much of this. From the Colts perspective, it’s actually an optimal time to do this. They can free the cap space, grab a new franchise QB on rookie pay scale, rid themselves of any shoulder concerns, and pick up a couple draft picks to fill more holes. 

From the Bills perspective, they keep more of their draft picks than if they were trading up to top 3 and can handle the cap hit. And get a proven commodity. 

I actually think the price to make this happen wouldn’t be too expensive and a huge win win for both teams. 

and then we have them

1 minute ago, offsides#76FredSmerlas said:

Unless you are the Colts front office you do not know this.  You are speculating.  The Colts are rebuilding and if they love a qb coming out I could see this.  I don't think it will happen but I would not be surprised.  It could be why the Bills haven't made a move yet.  It also could be why McDaniels didn't take the job.

I'm using logic. The premise of this thread is speculation and so is your post.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Would you trade away luck? No way Reich wants to go into his first season as head coach with an unknown qb

This. All day. Whether or not Luck can stay healthy and return to form is unknown, but no way Reich is not going to find out for himself. When healthy the dude carried that team on his back.

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

and then we have them

Concerns, yes. But that’s not to say the shoulder wouldn’t be fine. Just a risk and different people assess the risk differently. 

Honestly, if I’m the colts and the Bills offer me 22 and a second for Luck. I say where do I sign. 

Edited by dubs

10 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

The more time that passes and the Bills don’t do anything to address the QB position the more it convinces me that they definitely have a plan in place. I mean who gets rid of their starting QB and not have one in place?? Before anyone suggests that whatever rookie that is suppose to be taken in the draft, none of them are projected to be NFL ready right out of the gate. Is Peterman suppose to start?? I think not. Are the remaining FA QBs the answer? I would think not because that would be like writing off the season even before the season starts. Trading for Foles wouldn’t be hateful, maybe that’s the plan but looking at where the Colts are at in the draft (#3 overall pick) and all the draft capital that we have why couldn’t we make a run at Luck? Between last year’s publicity (team propaganda) and having a lunatic owner in Irsay I would say that anything is possible. Already having the #3 pick overall and all the prime draft picks that we could provide, the Colts would sure be able to address a lot of their team’s weaknesses. So far McBeane has shown they are not at all intimidated by making big decisions. 

Josh Rosen is said to be NFL ready playing in Josh Mora's pro style offense at UCLA. I'm not seeing a better option at this point, we may very well select 2 rookies in this draft and may the best win out between them and Peterman because the pickings are slim out there for veteran QB's... Derek Anderson, Mike Glennon, Jay Cutler, AJ Mccarron.

I would think by now we would all know that they do have a plan in place and we all need to just sit back and strap on a seatbelt because we're all going for a wild ride.

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Andrew Luck is not available. 

Correction:  Andrew Luck is not available unless the people who know most about him, the Colts, think he's through.

If Andrew Luck is on the market, check all four legs of that horse very carefully.

6 minutes ago, dubs said:

Concerns, yes. But that’s not to say the shoulder wouldn’t be fine. Just a risk and different people assess the risk differently. 

Honestly, if I’m the colts and the Bills offer me 22 and a second for Luck. I say where do I sign. 

I think that would be why Chris Ballard has a job as an NFL GM and you don't.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Reich would probably be just as happy with Foles as Luck.  

I respectfully disagree.  Luck, if healthy, is a far better QB than Foles has proven to be.

Foles had one great season, lost his job and was a backup came in and struggled at the end of 2017 regular season and then got hot in the playoffs.  I would say the odds are that going forward Foles will play more like the backup that he's been for most of his career instead of the guy who had a miracle season and a 3 game hot streak at a very opportune time.

If Luck's shoulder healed well, the Colts would be stupid to trade him.

If Luck's shoulder did not heal well, the Bills would be stupid to trade for him.

In any event, the Colts would be foolish to trade Luck before the draft. You don't trade your franchise QB unless you already have the rights to his replacement.

Edited by Koko78
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correction:  Andrew Luck is not available unless the people who know most about him, the Colts, think he's through.

If Andrew Luck is on the market, check all four legs of that horse very carefully.

Indeed. It would be a case of buyer beware. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Anytime you can introduce some snark to a conversation, you gotta do it. 

But seriously though, I don’t think the price would be as high as people think.  If the colts have any concerns at all about luck, this is about their only chance to reboot.  Certainly worth considering from their end. 

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I respectfully disagree.  Luck, if healthy, is a far better QB than Foles has proven to be.

Foles had one great season, lost his job and was a backup came in and struggled at the end of 2017 regular season and then got hot in the playoffs.  I would say the odds are that going forward Foles will play more like the backup that he's been for most of his career instead of the guy who had a miracle season and a 3 game hot streak at a very opportune time.

Reich seems to be a guy who values familiarity.  He just won a super bowl with Foles.  Luck is the more talented QB, but if a new coach can get a draft bounty for Luck and bring in a QB he just won a Super Bowl with, I'd think Reich would move on from Luck.

Just now, Koko78 said:

If Luck's shoulder healed well, the Colts would be stupid to trade him.

If Luck's shoulder did not heal well, the Bills would be stupid to trade for him.

Yes, exactly.  And even if Luck's shoulder is "maybe" and the Colts plan to take a QB at 3, Ballard and Reich would look nothing but stupid if they move on from Luck, Luck plays well somewhere else, and the rookie they draft does what 50% of top-5-pick rookies do and busts out.

20 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Would you trade away luck? No way Reich wants to go into his first season as head coach with an unknown qb

He already is going into the season with an unknown QB...nobody knows if Luck will be healthy, let alone ever get his career back on track.

Something here is definitely weird.  Trading away your starting QB makes no sense unless there is a plan in place for this replacement.  I get it that we wanted to replace Taylor and that the plan may be to trade up for one of the top QBs in the draft, but I highly doubt the goal is to have the newly drafted QB immediately start.  I also don't believe that the Bills think that Peterman is the answer as the short-term starter or long-term back-up.  Some additional step is needed here.

29 minutes ago, dubs said:

You seem to be an earnest poster who is not just trying to stir sh** so I'll give you a little more answer from the Colts perspective

1) the Colts would NOT free much cap space by trading Andrew Luck at this time.  They would take on an accelerated cap hit of $19.2M dollars and save ony $5.2M, which, if you've looked at the QB FA market, is not quite enough to buy a bag of slightly used QB Cheetos.

2) Andrew Luck was (and if his shoulder heals, is) a true generational QB talent.  He is one of the 4-5 QB in the league who can actually carry a team.  If you want to actually understand how he is different from this year's crop of good QB prospects, read Andrew Luck's draft profile.  Now read Sam Darnolds and Josh Rosen's profiles.  See the differences?  If there is any chance Luck can recover, you do not give that up on the 50/50 chance that whoever is left at #3 will become a good QB.

From a reputational standpoint, the Colts GM has nothing to gain and plenty to lose by making this trade - the best thing that could happen is that Luck is never himself again for the new team, and the new guy is able to play capably in the NFL, in which case they'd look smart except to the team they fleece.  The worst thing that could happen is that Luck recovers and plays well, the draftee flames out like roughly half of the top 5 picks do, and they look like fools.  You know, worse than how San Diego did when Brees turned all-world in N'Orleans, even WITH Rivers becoming a very talented QB?  Replace Rivers with Trent Edwards and that's how it could go.

11 minutes ago, dubs said:

It’s also not just about the shoulder. It’s about what QBs are in the draft, what you can get for Luck, and the cap space you can clear. 

See my other post to you.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan