NFL Combine - Measurements, Times, and Other News

thebandit27

2 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Thing is... if Rosen can be all in, he may be able to pick up any offensive scheme, make it his and read defenses probably better than any QB.

Is he coachable at the NFL, will his work ethic take off to a new level? Will his teammates respond to his leadership?  

I personally dont don’t know if he truly loves the game like Baker does, but Baker isn’t on his talent level all around.

Fair enough.   Rosen's interviews made me think of Brady.   The whole, "I don't give a $hitt what you think of me, I'm comfortable with myself."   He may not give off the jock vibe that Mayfield does but Rogers never gave off the jock vibe relative to Farve...and that turned out alright.

The California kids are different.   Sometimes you get a Losman, sometimes a Rogers...

21 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Thing is.. takestime has a point many that worked with him as a high school senior said he had a quiet arrogance about him that turned them off.

Some people claim to see and hear that same arrogance even now. They question how much he truly cares about the game...

Take it for what it worth. Baker May flop so could Rosen. Nobody knows. All I know is that it’s not college and neither have taken a snap in the NFL nor have had the opportunity to prove themselves.

Sure. I'm just pointing out that none of that was on display today. 

If you asked someone with reasonable football knowledge, who had never heard Josh Rosen's name before if he did well today, they'd agree.

The only way you'd think he looked "arrogant" is if you're convinced he is arrogant based on things you've read and heard. 

17 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Sure. I'm just pointing out that none of that was on display today. 

If you asked someone with reasonable football knowledge, who had never heard Josh Rosen's name before if he did well today, they'd agree.

The only way you'd think he looked "arrogant" is if you're convinced he is arrogant based on things you've read and heard. 

If I had to pick, I’d take Rosen.

But I know these coaches and scouts as well as the FO digs and digs for info these kids.

To be honest I don’t think anyone has ever had anything bad to say about the kid vs he sees and acts differently compared to your “typical” rah rah QB. And I hate how people act like arrogance is bad. If it’s used in the right direction and not negative it can be a very positive thing. 

The Pats are a very arrogant organization all around, some of that plays into their formula of how to be a winner. I feel QBs need that.

I just would rather have the guy that football is his life vs football is just something he does...

42 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Off the top of my head:

Barkley

N. Chubb

Q Nelson

Braden Smith

Thanks. Love to see the big uglies with that kind of explosion, especially.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

How many TD passes in college... HE DOES GET THEM THE BALL.

Again people need to stop looking at the kid and see Tyrod Taylor....some of you just cant get past it

Vick is a more accurate comparison.  Phenomenal athlete, live arm, but wildly inaccurate several times per game.

He displayed, today, the same inconsistent accuracy that he's shown throughout his college career.

The deep ball that landed 3 yards, "in the dirt", behind the receiver on a go route was telling.

Edited by Chicken Boo

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Vick is a more accurate comparison.  Phenomenal athlete, live arm, but wildly inaccurate several times per game.

He displayed, today, the same inconsistent accuracy that he's shown throughout his college career.

The deep ball that landed 3 yards, "in the dirt", behind the receiver on a go route was telling.

One one pass that landed 3 yards behind the reciever......we are supposed to make a determination on that

Extremely productive in college....and not just with his athletism

Got better every year

Has all the physical tools

Runs a patriot like offense in college

Ill forgive him for one pass.  Again....he is not Josh Rosen.....if I can have Josh Rosen I want Josh Rosen.....if Josh Rosen is going to cost a DItka draft we might not be able to get him.

And again....VICK WAS THE NUMBER ONE OVERALL PICK IN HIS DRAFT.......and when he got to the NFL he was the offense of his team.

Edited by John from Riverside

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

I think I'd be happy with trading up for Rosen or Mayfield, maybe Allen....stay in place for Jackson. Do not want Rudolph or Darnold. 

Totally agree with this ... only  Rosen or Mayfield for me . .prefer Mayfield due to leadership intangibles

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

How many TD passes in college... HE DOES GET THEM THE BALL.

Again people need to stop looking at the kid and see Tyrod Taylor....some of you just cant get past it

Who said TT? I didn't. I just watched him throw at the combine though and he is not a consistently accurate passer. I saw Rosen and Mayfield and Allen all throw consistently good balls. I saw Jackson throw TWO balls that were so bad Irvin laughed at them and called them turkeys. 

I hope the Bills draft Shaquem Griffin LB from UCF ... just busted 20 reps at the combine with prostetic

Overview

Shaquem Griffin is not just a great story, he's an excellent football player. He lost his left hand due to a rate prenatal condition, but that did not prevent him from being named the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year in his first year as a starting outside linebacker in 2016. He led the Knights with 57 solo tackles (had 92 total), 20 tackles for loss, and 11.5 sacks by chasing down plays with speed and wrapping his arms, while also intercepting a pass and breaking up seven others on the year. Griffin was again a first-team all-conference choice in 2017 (74 tackles, 13.5 for loss, team-high seven sacks, one interception, three pass breakups, two forced fumbles). He has played football with his "older" brother, Shaquill, since they were young. Shaquill came out of the womb one minute before Shaquem, and also left UCF a year earlier (drafted in the third round by Seattle in 2017) than his brother because he did not redshirt. Shaquem played in one game as a sophomore (against Penn State in Ireland), and then played 12 games on special teams and safety, making nine tackles on the year. Griffin was a second-team All-State pick in Florida as a senior, excelled in 7-on-7 teams growing up, and also could have gone to several schools on a track scholarship.

Analysis

Strengths

Possesses good athletic ability. Smart player who processes the game plan and executes. Attacks face-up blockers with maximum arm extension to keep his frame clean. Carries some upper body power at the punch. Asks for no quarter and gives none. Looks to punish as hitter. Impressive total of 13 passes defensed on 42 targets. Instinctive with the talent to play 3-4 inside backer and 4-3 outside backer spots. Has intriguing burst when edge rushing. Accelerates quickly off the snap and can outrace some tackles to the edge. Posted 18.5 sacks over two years as an outside rusher and blitzer. Plays fast uses good technique.

Weaknesses

Linear and high-cut. Needs to play with more consistent knee bend. Could use more mass and lower body strength. Contact balance is below average when challenged by power. Disengaging from blocks is a challenge. Unable to make quick exits when play-side shoulder covered by a blocker. Felled by cut blocks. Little margin for error as tackle finisher. Target point as tackler can be a little high. Allowed four broken tackles this year.

Draft Projection

Round 5-6

Sources Tell Us

"The old staff signed him just to make sure they got his brother. The new staff realized the guy was a player and plugged him in and he wins Defensive Player of the Year in his conference. He doesn't have a left hand. That's going to limit him with some things and that's going to hurt his draft value, but he's fast and athletic and makes a ton of plays." -- NFC team scouting director

Bottom Line

Griffin's physical limitation should be discussed as it pertains to areas like tackle disengagement and consistency of finishing, but his instincts, play speed and technique have all been major factors in helping him thrive at his position. His upfield burst as an edge blitzer and his range as a tackler are two strengths that NFL teams could capitalize on. Griffin could hear his name on day three of the draft, but if not, his competitive spirit and playmaking talent give him a shot to make a roster at some point in his career.

2 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Let's not go overboard with Rosen's accuracy.  Averaged about 61% in college, had a high of 62.6% this year.   Not the greatest.

Just a note that completion percentage is not the same thing as accuracy.

A guy can have fantastic WR who help him out - come back, dive, jump, adjust, and have higher completion percentage.

A guy can throw dimes, have "B" grade WR who don't help him out that much and drop balls, and have lower completion percentage

Whatever that means, UCLA WR and Louisville WR were scored at 34 drops apiece (11% and 12% of throws).  Allen's WR 6 or 7%.

Accuracy means you put it right where your WR expect it.  Rosen clearly does that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

You want me to elaborate on Rosen or Mayfield?

Rosen looks like he just doesn't care out there today.  Throws are off, struggling with placement, outside throws are not even in bounds, etc. The kid drops back and you can tell he could careless about going through these drills.

Mayfield is dropping dimes while giving 100% effort.  The dude is taking drop backs and is acting like it is a game situation. 

Rosen needs to humble himself.  People get on Mayfield for being cocky, but Rosen has that quiet, know it all, arrogance that  will kill him.

Does that mean that Mayfield is at his ceiling and Rosen has room to grow? Think of the Celtics...all out effort during the regular season. When post season rolls around and everyone is giving maximum effort they are just another team.  Will Mayfield be just another QB?

8 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Does that mean that Mayfield is at his ceiling and Rosen has room to grow? Think of the Celtics...all out effort during the regular season. When post season rolls around and everyone is giving maximum effort they are just another team.  Will Mayfield be just another QB?

Rosen is my guy but theres just something about baker..people are going to rally around this guy. He doesnt have the talent of favre and kelly but his demeanor reminds me a lot of them. He is a buffalo type of qb. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

And the great Josh Rosen threw an out into the turf. Does that make Rosen inaccurate?

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Who said TT? I didn't. I just watched him throw at the combine though and he is not a consistently accurate passer. I saw Rosen and Mayfield and Allen all throw consistently good balls. I saw Jackson throw TWO balls that were so bad Irvin laughed at them and called them turkeys. 

So you missed the one Rosen threw into the turf? And Steve Smith Sr. called them pheasants. I believe those were the only 2 he missed.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

None of them had a particulary good day throwing the ball......

I dont get influenced on what a announcer says......sheep do that.....and I dont base off some throws or one game either..

You look at a players overall game.....and the guy was dynamic in college....and has NFL tools.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:39 PM, Commonsense said:

I agree. Off the board entirely. That is a lazy SOB. 

I agree.  A guy that big that does that has clearly not trained.  Add in his historically terrible 40 time and he might not get picked before the 5th round.  He sure doesn’t appear to be the kind of player that McDermott is looking for.