NFL Combine - Measurements, Times, and Other News

thebandit27

18 minutes ago, wppete said:

4.67 40 time. Looks faster on tape and moves great and afressive. I like him if we can get him in the 4th or 5th rounds. 

I think he looks even slower in games 

5th rd would be about right

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

That's not really saying much though...

Prety much anything is more entertaining than the pro bowl

Agreed. I think it's incredibly sad that such an entertaining sport can't figure out an entertaining all-star feature.

32 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Another year of the NFL Combine being the most overrated money grab the NFL has ever created.

Kudos, to you NFL, kudos to you.

How is it a money grab?  I actually fail to see how they don't lose money on it.

29 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

What do you not like? 

Looked really out of place in drills. Didn’t seem to know how to backpedal. Hips looked stiff. CB movement doesn’t appear natural. Ball hawk in college but he’s probably a scheme specific guy.

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Looked really out of place in drills. Didn’t seem to know how to backpedal. Hips looked stiff. CB movement doesn’t appear natural. Ball hawk in college but he’s probably a scheme specific guy.

Definitely. He's a Cover 2 corner who will excel in a scheme that uses a lot of zone which allows him to keep his eyes in the backfield. 

I don't put much stock in any of the combine. I think it's a good way to test athleticism, and can be particularly effective in projecting the success of pass rushers, but the drills are pretty much useless in my eyes. 

For example, Harold Landry is almost certainly going to make an elite 3-4 outside linebacker. His test scores are outstanding, and in 2-3 years I'll bet he's posting 10+ sacks. 

Did anyone see during the d-back workout that they quoted coach McD as saying he looks for safeties that have played baseball and Poyer and Hyde both played baseball at a high level and it helps them track the ball. Interesting but not sure why he is giving away his secrets!

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Did anyone see during the d-back workout that they quoted coach McD as saying he looks for safeties that have played baseball and Poyer and Hyde both played baseball at a high level and it helps them track the ball. Interesting but not sure why he is giving away his secrets!

Maybe it's not a secret?

5 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

The article told me nothing. Who pays for the players to get to combine?  Is lucas oil stadium free and are the staff working for free too?  Who is paying for the insurance?

I didn't see many sponsors anywhere. How many more people watch the network than a normal 5 day span?

Final list of combine participants that tested in the red:

Saquon Barkley - RB/Penn State

Nick Chubb - RB/Georgia

Mike Gesicki - TE/Penn State

Quenton Nelson - OG/Notre Dame

Braden Smith - OG/Auburn

Bradley Chubb - EDGE/NC State

Obo Okoronkwo - EDGE/Oklahoma

Kylie Fitts - EDGE/Utah

Taven Bryan - DL/Florida

James Looney - DL/California

Harrison Phillips - DT/Stanford

Foley Fatukasi - DT/UConn

Malik Jefferson - LB/Texas

Genard Avery - LB/Memphis

Leon Jacobs - LB/Wisconsin

Derwin James - S/Florida State

Dane Cruikshank - S/Arizona

Natrell Jamerson - S/Wisconsin

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Final list of combine participants that tested in the red:

Saquon Barkley - RB/Penn State

Nick Chubb - RB/Georgia

Mike Gesicki - TE/Penn State

Quenton Nelson - OG/Notre Dame

Braden Smith - OG/Auburn

Bradley Chubb - EDGE/NC State

Obo Okoronkwo - EDGE/Oklahoma

Kylie Fitts - EDGE/Utah

Taven Bryan - DL/Florida

James Looney - DL/California

Harrison Phillips - DT/Stanford

Foley Fatukasi - DT/UConn

Malik Jefferson - LB/Texas

Genard Avery - LB/Memphis

Leon Jacobs - LB/Wisconsin

Derwin James - S/Florida State

Dane Cruikshank - S/Arizona

Natrell Jamerson - S/Wisconsin

Taven Bryan is a freak athlete. He's the same type of athlete as JJ Watt. 

If we can get him at the end of round 1 I think we'd be getting a steal who could be a real difference maker in a year or two. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Taven Bryan is a freak athlete. He's the same type of athlete as JJ Watt. 

If we can get him at the end of round 1 I think we'd be getting a steal who could be a real difference maker in a year or two. 

If we do not trade our 2 1sts for a QB, and Taven Bryan checks out as an effort/McD sort of player and he is available then he would certainly be hard to pass up.

17 minutes ago, Magox said:

If we do not trade our 2 1sts for a QB, and Taven Bryan checks out as an effort/McD sort of player and he is available then he would certainly be hard to pass up.

Calling him an effort player sells him short. The guy is a freak of nature, much like JJ Watt was. His effort and motor will prove to be a bonus in the grand scheme of things. 

Give him some NFL calibre coaching, and let him learn with Kyle Williams for a year (assuming we bring him back on a one year deal) and in a couple years Bryan could be an All Pro DT. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Calling him an effort player sells him short. The guy is a freak of nature, much like JJ Watt was. His effort and motor will prove to be a bonus in the grand scheme of things. 

Give him some NFL calibre coaching, and let him learn with Kyle Williams for a year (assuming we bring him back on a one year deal) and in a couple years Bryan could be an All Pro DT. 

I was talking in the context that his athleticism was a given.

I don't believe Beane/Mcd will select anyone that isn't an effort sort of player.  With Tavens freakish athleticism if he passes the Mcd/Beane effort/team player mentality they are seeking he will be awfully hard to pass up on.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

I was talking in the context that his athleticism was a given.

I don't believe Beane/Mcd will select anyone that isn't an effort sort of player.  With Tavens freakish athleticism if he passes the Mcd/Beane effort/team player mentality they are seeking he will be awfully hard to pass up on.

Totally agree. 

The combine is mostly useless aside from predicting who will make good linebackers and defensive linemen. 

Bryan's athleticism suggests he's going to make a really good pro player. 

• Like (+1) 1