NFL Combine - Measurements, Times, and Other News

thebandit27

Rosen is the top of this class as a pure passer, based on the combine throws I've seen so far.  The ball is always ahead of the WR, who doesn't have to break stride.   Man, he looks good in shorts vs. these other guys...

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Rosen is the top of this class as a pure passer, based on the combine throws I've seen so far.  The ball is always ahead of the WR, who doesn't have to break stride.   Man, he looks good in shorts vs. these other guys...

That was expected though. All you need to do is read a scouting report to know that guys like Rosen and Mayfield are really good passers who have good arms with very good accuracy.

On the flip side, some of these guys have no business being on the field. The NFL has no business inviting 21 QBs to the combine. Half these guys aren't getting drafted because they have no arm, terrible mechanics and poor accuracy. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They’ve said that football people like Allen more than talking heads and talking heads like Rudolph more than football people. We will see soon but that may explain why he’s cooling as time has gone by.

It's not even close for me. Watching Rudolph drop back and be all out of whack, he's not even close. Allen has played under center and looks comfortable with his footwork and the arm is bananas. At this point I wouldn't even have Rudolph in round 2 let alone 1. Allen is going top 5. He's the only one that really stands out in these drills. I expected more from Mayfield. He's been quiet out there. Looks like a totally different player than what I saw at the senior bowl. It seems like Rosen is taking this way too lightly. Looks like he's just going through the motions. But that might just be because his drop back is so flawless and effortless. And the athleticism people said he didn't have is showing up. In fact, one of the better athletes at QB not named Jackson or Allen it would seem. At first I was upset that Darnold wasn't going to throw but it might have been smart. Everyone else looks sub par compared to Allen imo

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

It's not even close for me. Watching Rudolph drop back and be all out of whack, he's not even close. Allen has played under center and looks comfortable with his footwork and the arm is bananas. At this point I wouldn't even have Rudolph in round 2 let alone 1. Allen is going top 5. He's the only one that really stands out in these drills. I expected more from Mayfield. He's been quiet out there. Looks like a totally different player than what I saw at the senior bowl. It seems like Rosen is taking this way too lightly. Looks like he's just going through the motions. But that might just be because his drop back is so flawless and effortless. And the athleticism people said he didn't have is showing up. In fact, one of the better athletes at QB not named Jackson or Allen it would seem. At first I was upset that Darnold wasn't going to throw but it might have been smart. Everyone else looks sub par compared to Allen imo

This is the underwear olympics.

The whole thing is set up for guys like Allen (and EJ Manuel, and Jake Locker, and Blaine Gabbert) to look good. Physical specimens like them always generate the buzz at the combine. 

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he (or any of the others) can actually play football well. 

Edited by jrober38

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so if McBeane went OL/DL or DL/OL depending on his preference and Rudolph is scooped up, would you be satisfied with the Lauletta, White or Falk types as his fall back position for QB choice?.......

To be honest, no. I would rather take chances on other positions and try to get one of the best FA QBs. I believe in developing QBs and not 1 and done situations. If you are going to spend time on a prospect, take the position seriously. 

If they take the position seriously, they will go up and get a guy. Diamonds in the rough no longer exist. There are major flaws with guys even outside of the first in most drafts. Teams are getting better at evaluating QBs and guys like Russell Wilson don't drop. 

Just now, Ittakestime said:

Rosen is so overrated.

How Mayfield falls below Rosen is beyond me.

Mayfield is a day 1 starting pro bowl QB.

Can you elaborate on why? 

• Like (+1) 1

Love this time of year. Everybody media hack with a twitter account is a scout and can’t wait to tweet his next breathless hot take. 

My one hot take concerning the QBs we’ve seen today? These receivers can’t run simple cone routes to save their lives. 

Oh, and Rosen continues to show why he’s been atop the leader board since last fall. 

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

Can you elaborate on why? 

You want me to elaborate on Rosen or Mayfield?

Rosen looks like he just doesn't care out there today.  Throws are off, struggling with placement, outside throws are not even in bounds, etc. The kid drops back and you can tell he could careless about going through these drills.

Mayfield is dropping dimes while giving 100% effort.  The dude is taking drop backs and is acting like it is a game situation. 

Rosen needs to humble himself.  People get on Mayfield for being cocky, but Rosen has that quiet, know it all, arrogance that  will kill him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

You want me to elaborate on Rosen or Mayfield?

Rosen looks like he just doesn't care out there today.  Throws are off, struggling with placement, outside throws are not even in bounds, etc. The kid drops back and you can tell he could careless about going through these drills.

Mayfield is dropping dimes while giving 100% effort.  The dude is taking drop backs and is acting like it is a game situation. 

Rosen needs to humble himself.  People get on Mayfield for being cocky, but Rosen has that quiet, know it all, arrogance that  will kill him.

I think you're seeing what you want to see. 

I'm not a huge Rosen fan, but his performance was pretty solid today. He and Mayfield were the only future NFL QBs in Group 2 by a pretty wide margin. 

Both guys looked good. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

LOL.  I must be watching some other combine...

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know hes not the first to do it, but Darnold looks dumb not throwing when every single other QB is

I think it’s just the look on his face, myself.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I think it’s just the look on his face, myself.

Eli Manning sad eyes. Would have liked to see some fire from him even if he has to fake it. Mayfield had the fire at the senior bowl but I didn't see it today. Allen was the only one that stood out to me today. Jackson threw better than people thought he might be his feet need work

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Love this time of year. Everybody media hack with a twitter account is a scout and can’t wait to tweet his next breathless hot take. 

My one hot take concerning the QBs we’ve seen today? These receivers can’t run simple cone routes to save their lives. 

Oh, and Rosen continues to show why he’s been atop the leader board since last fall. 

Haha - Steve Smith and Mike Irvin were chastising the WRs on the cone routes  too

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Eli Manning sad eyes. Would have liked to see some fire from him even if he has to fake it. Mayfield had the fire at the senior bowl but I didn't see it today. Allen was the only one that stood out to me today. Jackson threw better than people thought he might be his feet need work

Bad footwork means bad throws. Again, pass

32 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so if McBeane went OL/DL or DL/OL depending on his preference and Rudolph is scooped up, would you be satisfied with the Lauletta, White or Falk types as his fall back position for QB choice?.......

Not unless we make a push to bring in a serious FA for at least 2 years, and be prepared to make a hard push to go higher in the draft in 2 years if they aren't developing

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They’ve said that football people like Allen more than talking heads and talking heads like Rudolph more than football people. We will see soon but that may explain why he’s cooling as time has gone by.

That's scary then because the talking heads are drooling like Pavlov's Dogs when Allen is mentioned.  It's embarrassing.

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Lamar didn't look great. Threw up some real ducks. 

No, he didn't, but keep in mind the knock on him is he hasn't worked under center (and he's looked mighty awkward when he does).

That being the case, he looks as though he's really been working on his drops.