NFL Combine - Measurements, Times, and Other News

thebandit27

30 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and the wild fact about Marino is that Alex Van Pelt broke every one of his passing records at Pitt......AVP?........seriously?.....

Different eras, differnt opportunities for AVP to throw.  Van Pelt averaged 32 throws per game, Marino 25.   And yet Marino had 15 more TDs

Marino:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html

Van Pelt:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/alex-van-pelt-1.html

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Can’t wait to watch Rudolph.

He’s going to rise fast. I want him at 21 bad.

There really doesn’t seem to be much (or any) buzz about Rudolph in round 1 anymore. It’s weird how perception changes after the season. They are even calling the others “the big 5 QBs” on the combine coverage. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There really doesn’t seem to be much (or any) buzz about Rudolph in round 1 anymore. It’s weird how perception changes after the season. They are even calling the others “the big 5 QBs” on the combine coverage. 

Not surprising.

Rudolph is Bryce Petty with a weaker arm. 

Where did Pretty get picked? Round 4. 

10 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Josh Allen is EJ Manuel/Jake Locker.

How is this not obvious to everyone?

Because people never seem to learn. 

It amazes me how many people care about how far a guy can throw. Or how hard. Especially is shorts against no defense.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Because people never seem to learn. 

It amazes me how many people care about how far a guy can throw. Or how hard. Especially is shorts against no defense.

Exactly. There is literally nothing to be gained by watching the QBs at the combine. 

You want to know about a QB - watch the game film. It'll tell you all you need to know.

If a guy has terrible accuracy on film, he's going to have terrible accuracy in the NFL. End of story. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Different eras, differnt opportunities for AVP to throw.  Van Pelt averaged 32 throws per game, Marino 25.   And yet Marino had 15 more TDs

Marino:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html

Van Pelt:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/alex-van-pelt-1.html

...agree and NOT a knock on AVP......always enjoyed watching Marino as one of the more prolific passers in his time.....too many times around here when stats alone are manipulated to prove one's point or disprove another's......AVP broke Dan's Pitt records so he MUST be the better QB, right?...typical TBD argument.....why I hate stats as the primary focal point....thanks for sharing bud..........

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not impressed. He's worried about his feet in this drop back drill and his arm mechanics are then all out of whack. Exactly what you would expect from a QB that has always played in shotgun. Chris Trepasso has Rudolph as his #1 QB. He's really going to hurt his reputation on that one

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

Rosen clearly is the most natural passer. Every throw in stride. The late round infatuation guys like Lauletta and White are showing why they are not top prospects. 

Agreed.

My guess when it all shakes out:

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen - top 10 picks (in no particular order)

Jackson - 1st round

Falk, Rudolph - 3rd round

White, Lauletta, Ferguson - 4th-7th round

Benkert, Briscoe, Lee - UDFAs 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Rosen clearly is the most natural passer. Every throw in stride. The late round infatuation guys like Lauletta and White are showing why they are not top prospects. 

...so if McBeane went OL/DL or DL/OL depending on his preference and Rudolph is scooped up, would you be satisfied with the Lauletta, White or Falk types as his fall back position for QB choice?.......

16 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Not surprising.

Rudolph is Bryce Petty with a weaker arm. 

Where did Pretty get picked? Round 4. 

7 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Not impressed. He's worried about his feet in this drop back drill and his arm mechanics are then all out of whack. Exactly what you would expect from a QB that has always played in shotgun. Chris Trepasso has Rudolph as his #1 QB. He's really going to hurt his reputation on that one

They’ve said that football people like Allen more than talking heads and talking heads like Rudolph more than football people. We will see soon but that may explain why he’s cooling as time has gone by.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so if McBeane went OL/DL or DL/OL depending on his preference and Rudolph is scooped up, would you be satisfied with the Lauletta, White or Falk types as his fall back position for QB choice?.......

No.

If we don't get one of the top 5 guys, don't bother drafting one of the long shots. Just a waste of a pick. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Agreed.

My guess when it all shakes out:

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen - top 10 picks (in no particular order)

Jackson - 1st round

Falk, Rudolph - 3rd round

White, Lauletta, Ferguson - 4th-7th round

Benkert, Briscoe, Lee - UDFAs 

I feel like, if the draft was today, this is pretty spot on.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They’ve said that football people like Allen more than talking heads and talking heads like Rudolph more than football people. We will see soon but that may explain why he’s cooling as time has gone by.

Football people are wrong all the time.

They constantly look for the diamond in the rough who they can polish into something great at the NFL level. It never works.

Guys with Allen's skill set never succeed in the NFL. The fact that he's being talked about as the potential #1 overall pick is insane. He's the exact same prospect as EJ Manuel. 

Edited by jrober38

Just now, jrober38 said:

Football people are wrong all the time.

They constantly look for the diamond in the rough who they can polish into something great at the NFL level. It never works.

Oh, I’m not saying that they are right. I’m just saying that makes sense as to why Rudolph has cooled and Allen is still being pumped up. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh, I’m not saying that they are right. I’m just saying that makes sense as to why Rudolph has cooled and Allen is still being pumped up. 

Fair enough.

Generally speaking it's the athletic traits that make a guy move up or down boards at this time of year. 

Scouts fall in love with work out warriors (Allen, EJ Manuel, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Jamarcus Russell) and ignore crappy game tape because their egos are so inflated they think they can turn a guy with no accuracy into the next Drew Brees with their special coaching sauce.

On the flip side, guys with eye popping stats but mediocre tools (Rudolph), generally fade during the process. These guys don't get anyone excited, and the result is that their upside is low because they can't throw the ball 80 yards, therefore they'll never be anything more than a backup QB. 

Either way, guys in both camps never go on to become good NFL starting QBs. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

One GM  commented that Mayfield's football knowledge was off the charts, Rosen's Darnold's and Rudolph's were very good, but Allen and Jackson were a long way off.