Case Keenum Headed for UFA - Unlikely to Return to MIN

26CornerBlitz

Sign me up for Case!  The guy basically made Adam Thielen a star, and he would have had an even bigger year with a healthy Delvin Cook.  I liked what I saw last year.

I don't think he is going to demand a huge Cousins type contract.  And instead of packaging picks to move up for an unknown, we can use those picks to fix the front 7 and maybe add a WR.  Add in free agency and we could compete with Keenum.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Sign me up for Case!  The guy basically made Adam Thielen a star, and he would have had an even bigger year with a healthy Delvin Cook.  I liked what I saw last year.

I don't think he is going to demand a huge Cousins type contract.  And instead of packaging picks to move up for an unknown, we can use those picks to fix the front 7 and maybe add a WR.  Add in free agency and we could compete with Keenum.

I believe the exact opposite with Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, and the coaching/system of Shurmur making him successful.  He's a journeyman who had a good year IMO. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

I honestly cannot recall a year when there were so many QBs in the mix between the Draft and Free Agency. I love reading all of these posts from people who say 'absolutely not' to each new name thrown out there for consideration...and yet I don't know of anyone who's looking forward to seeing Tyrod in a Bills uniform in 2018.  Something has to give!   The one thing I definitely don't see happening is the Bills giving up a ton of picks to move way up in the Draft.  I really don't think Beane or Coach McD are the big splash, riverboat gambler sort of tandem.

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The Vikings have Barr, Kendrick’s and Danielle Hunter coming up for free agency after the season. Maybe they draft a couple replacements this year, but they’ve been the strength of that team imo.  I could see them wading into the cousins water, but not sure if paying a decent qb 30 mil a year is the right move for them.  I think they love Teddy and will offer him a pretty cheap contract to be the starter while they draft someone to groom.  But I’m the guy laying on the beach writing on a message board.  

Humble Brag alert! 

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The Vikings have Barr, Kendrick’s and Danielle Hunter coming up for free agency after the season. Maybe they draft a couple replacements this year, but they’ve been the strength of that team imo.  I could see them wading into the cousins water, but not sure if paying a decent qb 30 mil a year is the right move for them.  I think they love Teddy and will offer him a pretty cheap contract to be the starter while they draft someone to groom.  But I’m the guy laying on the beach writing on a message board.  

Why would a starting QB take a cheap contract?

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I honestly cannot recall a year when there were so many QBs in the mix between the Draft and Free Agency. I love reading all of these posts from people who say 'absolutely not' to each new name thrown out there for consideration...and yet I don't know of anyone who's looking forward to seeing Tyrod in a Bills uniform in 2018.  Something has to give!   The one thing I definitely don't see happening is the Bills giving up a ton of picks to move way up in the Draft.  I really don't think Beane or Coach McD are the big splash, riverboat gambler sort of tandem.

With all of the options available in free agency, the cost to move up could technically be cheaper. I think they made the trade down last year with the specific intent of trading up this year. I don't think they anticipated making the playoffs, which makes the trade up more difficult. 

• Like (+1) 1

NAME

ATT COMP PCT YDS AVG YDS/G LONG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDSL RATE
Case Keenum 481 325 67.6 3547 7.4 227.4 65 22 4.6 7 1.5 22 136 98.3

NAME ATT COMP PCT YDS AVG YDS/G LONG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDSL RATE
Tyrod Taylor 420 263 62.6 2799 6.7 169.5 47 14 3.3 4 1.0 46 256

It is confusing to figure this stuff out because statistically at least Keenum had a much better year than Taylor did.

And the Vikes went 13-3 and won the division and a playoff game. Versus the Bills 9-8 and a loss in the wild card game..

I know the Vikes have better receivers but is it that clear cut that Keenum isn't any better than Taylor?

3 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

NAME

ATT COMP PCT YDS AVG YDS/G LONG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDSL RATE
Case Keenum 481 325 67.6 3547 7.4 227.4 65 22 4.6 7 1.5 22 136 98.3

NAME ATT COMP PCT YDS AVG YDS/G LONG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDSL RATE
Tyrod Taylor 420 263 62.6 2799 6.7 169.5 47 14 3.3 4 1.0 46 256

It is confusing to figure this stuff out because statistically at least Keenum had a much better year than Taylor did.

And the Vikes went 13-3 and won the division and a playoff game. Versus the Bills 9-8 and a loss in the wild card game..

I know the Vikes have better receivers but is it that clear cut that Keenum isn't any better than Taylor?

I think they are very similar. I argued that last offseason when Keenum had been less successful in LA and I will argue it this offseason too.  I like Case Keenum I think like Tyrod he is one of the best 32 Quarterbacks in the league... but I also think like Tyrod I don't see much that makes me want to say "he is my guy for the next 5 years" and that means those guys live a slightly precarious existence.  Last year when he was cheap I was in favour of Keenum.  This year when he will overpriced I am not.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I don't believe this hurts the Bills because Minnesota isn't going to sign Cousins. Not buying they are going to tie up half their cap space with the guys they have coming up after 2018. AJ McCarron makes more sense.

MIN is the perfect scenario for Cousins: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kirk-cousins-rumors-vikings-have-mutual-interest-looking-at-a-possible-broncos-deal/

The Vikings are in a fascinating situation, because they have a trio of free-agent quarterbacks in Case KeenumSam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater. In other words, they have three quarterbacks, but they don't really have any quarterbacks. And it sounds like they may ultimately decide not to place the franchise tag on Keenum.

Which would put them squarely in the Cousins sweepstakes. And, unlike anyone else, the Vikings can offer Cousins what few other NFL teams can: a viable chance to win a Super Bowl. The Broncos can be contenders if they land Cousins and if they are able to retain the offensive and defensive pieces necessary to compete. 

The Vikings don't need to do anything. They have Stefon DiggsAdam ThielenKyle Rudolph and Dalvin Cook in place on offense. The defense is built to be dominant for the next few years. The Vikings will compete for the Super Bowl with a decent quarterback, and Cousins would give them a top-tier options.

Benefiting Minnesota -- and Denver -- is the notion that Cousins already made a lot of money and stands to make a lot of money moving forward regardless of where he plays. Cousins has pointed out it's important for him to be happy and to win. It might mean he ends up taking a little bit less to try and push Minnesota over the top.

7 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I don't believe this hurts the Bills because Minnesota isn't going to sign Cousins. Not buying they are going to tie up half their cap space with the guys they have coming up after 2018. AJ McCarron makes more sense.

They have already been rumored to be interested in McCarron, and I think it makes a lot of sense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Remember that in addition to paying (and in this case likely over-paying) for a veteran QB, the Bills would also be on tab for some of Tyrod's money both in terms of real $ (if we believe that they intend to pay him the $6 M bonus that is coming up) as well as cap space if he is traded/cut.

That is why I think it is highly unlikely that the Bills will pay big $ for a UFA QB this year.

I believe that they are planning on going all in on drafting a rookie QB this year.

If they manage to get the guy they really want at the top of the draft (Rosen/Mayfiled/Darnold), then Tyrod may not even be on the roster on Opening Day.

If they have to settle for a Jackson/Rudolph type, then Tyrod serves as a bridge until the new QB is ready. Given the quick hook to Peterman in the midst of last season's playoff run, that could even come early in 2018.

2 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Remember that in addition to paying (and in this case likely over-paying) for a veteran QB, the Bills would also be on tab for some of Tyrod's money both in terms of real $ (if we believe that they intend to pay him the $6 M bonus that is coming up) as well as cap space if he is traded/cut.

That is why I think it is highly unlikely that the Bills will pay big $ for a UFA QB this year.

I believe that they are planning on going all in on drafting a rookie QB this year.

If they manage to get the guy they really want at the top of the draft (Rosen/Mayfiled/Darnold), then Tyrod may not even be on the roster on Opening Day.

If they have to settle for a Jackson/Rudolph type, then Tyrod serves as a bridge until the new QB is ready. Given the quick hook to Peterman in the midst of last season's playoff run, that could even come early in 2018.

They will have to either sign a QB in FA, Trade for one, or keep Tyrod in addition to drafting one. I cannot see them going into the season with a rookie and Peterman as the only QBs. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I say no to any equation with Peterman in it. 

THIS - This and THIS!  I pray I am wrong but it sure doesn't look like Peterman is leaving any high level meetings and playing like his hair is on fire - that is unless you count passes to the other team.....THEN his hair is on fire!

46 minutes ago, nucci said:

Why would a starting QB take a cheap contract?

CHeap relative to Case and cousins.  How much do you think Teddy is going to get on the open market.He’s not getting over over 20 mill per after not playing for 2 years. He may take a discount if the Vikes offer him the starting job and 30 mill guaranteed. Makes him a 2 year starter at 15 mill per.  Very reasonable and considered cheap for a starting qb.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is not surprising considering Zimmer couldn’t even commit to him as a starter on a week to week basis. He’s a high end backup who had a nice year. 

I think they will keep Teddy and trade for Foles or sign mccarron.

Why would the lose Keenum for McCarron?

I don't get the McCarron....

I will guarantee the Bill will do the wrong thing, they always do.  They should keep Taylor. If they can get Bridgewater, forget these dam rookies, if you didn't learn from the last fifteen years you will never learn. Use the picks to build a team around these QBs play to win now before your good players all have to retire. We may get. QB in the 3rd round.  He may be just as good without the risk of putting our future in one pick, if he is a flop we lose big time.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

MIN is the perfect scenario for Cousins: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kirk-cousins-rumors-vikings-have-mutual-interest-looking-at-a-possible-broncos-deal/

The Vikings are in a fascinating situation, because they have a trio of free-agent quarterbacks in Case KeenumSam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater. In other words, they have three quarterbacks, but they don't really have any quarterbacks. And it sounds like they may ultimately decide not to place the franchise tag on Keenum.

Which would put them squarely in the Cousins sweepstakes. And, unlike anyone else, the Vikings can offer Cousins what few other NFL teams can: a viable chance to win a Super Bowl. The Broncos can be contenders if they land Cousins and if they are able to retain the offensive and defensive pieces necessary to compete. 

The Vikings don't need to do anything. They have Stefon DiggsAdam ThielenKyle Rudolph and Dalvin Cook in place on offense. The defense is built to be dominant for the next few years. The Vikings will compete for the Super Bowl with a decent quarterback, and Cousins would give them a top-tier options.

Benefiting Minnesota -- and Denver -- is the notion that Cousins already made a lot of money and stands to make a lot of money moving forward regardless of where he plays. Cousins has pointed out it's important for him to be happy and to win. It might mean he ends up taking a little bit less to try and push Minnesota over the top.

After reading this book over vacation I have changed my tune on this subject, spending that much on a QB will leave too little and I wouldn't do it.

Caponomics: Building Super Bowl Champions 

It is almost absurd to spend 17% of your cap on a QB who isn't truly elite. So it may just be me, and the Vikings will jump right on the Bandwagon and go after him. They will have Diggs, Barr, Kendricks etc. coming up at the end of 2018 too.

Again, I could be wrong, they have weapons and a defense. IAnd, they have cap space right now. Maybe they structure the deal some other way. I'm not doing it.

I actually think its good for the Bills.

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 1

Anyone wondering if the Vikes might just forego any of their own QB's and target drafting one?  

I guess Cousins and AJ could also be in play here, but are they really going to let all 3 guys walk without knowing if they can land Cousins (or someone else like AJ they might like)?  Maybe they are just prepared to focus on drafting a guy realizing Bradford and Teddy are major injury liabilities, and Keenum is still just Keenum.  

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Anyone wondering if the Vikes might just forego any of their own QB's and target drafting one?  

I guess Cousins and AJ could also be in play here, but are they really going to let all 3 guys walk without knowing if they can land Cousins (or someone else like AJ they might like)?  Maybe they are just prepared to focus on drafting a guy realizing Bradford and Teddy are major injury liabilities, and Keenum is still just Keenum.  

I think they just love Teddy. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they roll with him and take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they just love Teddy. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they roll with him and take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Ah, is there speculation now they will resign Teddy?  I guess that makes sense if they maybe plan to grab a guy like Mason, Falk or White at some point in the 2nd or 3rd.  

I dont really blame them for not committing to Keenum, he has all the makings of a mediocre starter at best IMO.  Dont take anything away from his time in Minny this year, but I feel like there is some fools gold built into his luster.  Could be wrong, but he isn't a guy I personally would be comfortable giving a decent size contract to.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I don't see Minnesota in the QB market, they have 3 QBs, one of them had to go. They probably figured Keenum was a flash in the pan or think Bridgewater will get back to normal and keep Bradford as the backup.

You understand their contract situations right? Just bc they had 3 qbs last year doesn't mean they have 3 qbs NEXT year. Generally,  when contracts expire the player isn't expected to come right back the next year with out a contract.  Thank R.C.Owens for that. Teddys status is still up in the air, but since neither of these other qbs are named Drew Brees and a guy like Cousins is out there it makes sense for the time being, MAYBE, they have 1 qb. I'd imagine that's prob pretty convient if they want to get skinny in the roster at that position for someone they deem special.

I don't get the Bridgewater hype either... He never struck me as great, and that was before he missed almost 2 years with a horrific injury.

If Bradford could stay healthy he would be top 10 but he constantly gets hurt as soon as things start going well for him. But he is by far the best of the Vikings 3 QBs in my book.

I know most won't agree, but I would take Keenum on the this team and would pay him 20 or so million.

The guy isn't much different than Foles.  Look at what Foles did in the right offense.  I actually really like the Daboll hire and think he will adapt to his QB better than the previous OCs we had.

4 hours ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

paying 20-25+ mil for a Case or a Foles just seems kind of crazy to me, when you can get an above average talent in the draft this year for $5m .. football revolves around the Qb, but i not sure about the old "QB carrying an otherwise average team" anymore... things seem to be evolving the other way, where a great roster can carry an above average QB at least to the conference title games.   what say you?   I say a great "Rest of the Roster" + Nate Peterman + rookie QB picked at 21 makes the playoff run 3 out of the next 5 years.  what say you?  

No unless we are tanking for next year. 

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I say no to any equation with Peterman in it. 

I agree. There should be a minus sign ('-') not a plus sign ('+') in that equation.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buff808 said:

I will guarantee the Bill will do the wrong thing, they always do.  They should keep Taylor. If they can get Bridgewater, forget these dam rookies, if you didn't learn from the last fifteen years you will never learn. Use the picks to build a team around these QBs play to win now before your good players all have to retire. We may get. QB in the 3rd round.  He may be just as good without the risk of putting our future in one pick, if he is a flop we lose big time.

You must be an absolute pleasure to watch a game with;)

• Haha (+1) 1

Why would the Vikings choose not to franchise tag Case Keenum? - 1500 ESPN Twin Cities

NFL Network’s Ian Rapaport is reporting that the Vikings are not expected to tag Keenum before the March 6 deadline.

The team will still have several weeks to work out a long-term contract with Keenum if they please, but it would now come as a surprise if the Vikings were willing to pay the highest price on the market with several other teams reported to be interested. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller noted that the Broncos could be a top landing spot.

If Keenum’s run as a Viking is over, what went into the decision?

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Keenum would be a good signing for Cleveland or NYJ

Why do you think that?

i see Cleveland as a soon-to- be-very-good team.  They have the 1st and 4th picks, why would they be interested in signing Keenum, who likely (IMHO) will regress to his “mean” which is not very good?

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why would the Vikings choose not to franchise tag Case Keenum? - 1500 ESPN Twin Cities

NFL Network’s Ian Rapaport is reporting that the Vikings are not expected to tag Keenum before the March 6 deadline.

The team will still have several weeks to work out a long-term contract with Keenum if they please, but it would now come as a surprise if the Vikings were willing to pay the highest price on the market with several other teams reported to be interested. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller noted that the Broncos could be a top landing spot.

If Keenum’s run as a Viking is over, what went into the decision?

I've said for a while now that I thought Minnesota could be the perfect landing spot for Cousins, and that they very well could decide to take a run at him instead of signing Keenum.

my guess is still that they could be Cousins 1st choice. 

They have the cap cap space and team to surround him with. There's lots of talent on both sides of the ball and Cousins can step right in and compete for a Super Bowl. 

Seems like a no brainer for Cousins IMO. 

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let some other team overpay for him.

Oh boy, I just hope it's not Buffalo who gives Keenum that big pay day. One good season in an otherwise mediocre top poor career scares me. I am far from convinced that Keenum can repeat his success from last season, especially on another (weaker) team. 

Edited by BillsFan4