Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting: Bills love Rosen (updated with new info)

YoloinOhio

17 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I really think the Browns are going to take Allen.  I think Haley sees Roethlisberger and Dorsey sees Favre.  I think they are going to try to sit him all year while Hue and Haley work on him behind Tyrod.

I've been convinced the Giants Darnold talk is smoke screen.  I think they really want Barkley and are worried about the Browns taking him at 1.

Baker is just too classic Jets.  I think Rosen is out for them for political reasons, I think Baker has a similar play style to McCown and they want the headlines.

I have a gut feeling we'll be trading into the 4-6 range for one of Rosen or Darnold.  And it's not going to cost 87 draft picks to do it like some of the Chicken Littles think.

i get the feeling we do move to 4. i also believe the giants would like chubb or barkley over going qb. that being said, we can move to 2 and take darnold or mayfield. i think rosen's a better fit for nyc and the jets, while mayfield as more of a buffalo guy.

besides that , if he (mayfield) tweeks over tweets, the nyc media will make him a head case.

so if the browns go with allen, the question becomes...sit at 4? or move to 2? the more i hear lately, the more i'm liking darnold ....in the sense of his character.

On 2/14/2018 at 8:12 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I've got them going to 3 for him but 2 would be a safer, albeit more expensive, option.

With the Jets at #3 i doubt they are going to give that spot up to a team from their division to grab a starting QB & possibly the best one of this years draft ...

Even if they did they would gouge the Bills worse than the Giants IMHO because the Giants ar win the NFC & don't have to face the Bills twice every year ...

6 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm not really sure why you feel the need to attempt to marginalize and insult a group of people who simply don't agree with your opinion? 

I've been one who is against trading too far up, although on several occasions I've mentioned Tampa at 7 simply because it wouldn't be cost prohibitive. However, I'm equally comfortable standing pat and seeing how the Draft falls given the mass exodus of talent and good players. That said, if getting to 7 "only" took a 2nd to get there, as much as I don't like it, I certainly understand it if Rosen were still available as Galko suggests just to guarantee the team gets Rosen (presuming their love for his accurate). But still, I point to my above posts and ask, if Galko is accurate, who wants a QB in the first round that can reasonably jump ahead into top 10? Maybe the Pats with 2 1sts, but that's about it and it would take more than their 2 1sts to get to the Raiders or higher just because they're so low in the 1st round and I'm not convinced the Pats want to do that....

that is only directed to the whiny ones that have been posting nonsense threads for the past few months with nothing to back up their argument other than "that's too much to give up."  i am fine listening to informed opinions on the matter.  in fact i enjoy having meaningful discussions with people with alternate points of view.  it is one of my favorite things to do.  i think people would consider me to be very fair and respectful in those types of situations

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, T master said:

With the Jets at #3 i doubt they are going to give that spot up to a team from their division to grab a starting QB & possibly the best one of this years draft ...

Even if they did they would gouge the Bills worse than the Giants IMHO because the Giants ar win the NFC & don't have to face the Bills twice every year ...

I made that post on Valentine's Day... Like a month before the Jets trade.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I made that post on Valentine's Day... Like a month before the Jets trade.

Got you !! :doh:

Just now, Foxx said:

you do realize the timestamp on that post, right?

I do now ...

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i get the feeling we do move to 4. i also believe the giants would like chubb or barkley over going qb. that being said, we can move to 2 and take darnold or mayfield. i think rosen's a better fit for nyc and the jets, while mayfield as more of a buffalo guy.

besides that , if he (mayfield) tweeks over tweets, the nyc media will make him a head case.

so if the browns go with allen, the question becomes...sit at 4? or move to 2? the more i hear lately, the more i'm liking darnold ....in the sense of his character.

I understand you like Baker, but IMO I think he might be the least likely guy we end up with.  Either it's a lot of smoke or the Jets are taking him and if we move to 2 I'd be pretty surprised if he was the guy vs Darnold or Allen (or Rosen).

I also understand concerns about Rosen in Buffalo, but from some of his comments it seems he views Brady as the target to climb over in his career and I think he would relish taking the division away from him. I guess I just differ on him from some posters, I think his intelligence and curious nature is something McBeane would love to have at the position.  I see Rosen as cool, calm and collected, something our team would value highly over Baker's wearing his heart on his sleeve.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think you and I think alike here.  Every bit of this is my current thinking.  Except I think the giants draft Chubb.  

There were Rumors yesterday that the Giants are very impressed with Chubb at his visit. However, I have to wonder if that is smokescreen knowing the Broncos want Chubb at 5. They would like to trade down to 5 and still get Barkley.

So this is the possible scenario:

Browns....Darnold

Giants.....Barkley

Jets........Mayfield

Bills........Rosen

Broncos..Nelson......Chubb imo

That would be pretty cool!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

There were Rumors yesterday that the Giants are very impressed with Chubb at his visit. However, I have to wonder if that is smokescreen knowing the Broncos want Chubb at 5. They would like to trade down to 5 and still get Barkley.

So this is the possible scenario:

Browns....Darnold

Giants.....Barkley

Jets........Mayfield

Bills........Rosen

Broncos..Nelson......Chubb imo

That would be pretty cool!

That's how I see it, although I'm not ruling out the Browns taking Allen.  Even if that did happen, I think it just shuffles some names around with the same general premise.  Then the Colts / Bucs / Bears really hoping someone gives up a ransom to come get the last QB.

I think 4 feels like a natural spot for us to move up, not risking Denver taking a QB at 5.  The part that gets lost on people who say "Cleveland would have too many picks" is they know they can get an elite prospect at 12 and they could easily move up from 22 to get 2 high level prospects, basically making 4 vs the Bills package a 1 vs 2 proposition.  12 / 22 / 65 feels like a fair price, we overpay, but not criminally and we still have 2 2nds and don't touch next year.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

That's how I see it, although I'm not ruling out the Browns taking Allen.  Even if that did happen, I think it just shuffles some names around with the same general premise.  Then the Colts / Bucs / Bears really hoping someone gives up a ransom to come get the last QB.

I think 4 feels like a natural spot for us to move up, not risking Denver taking a QB at 5.  The part that gets lost on people who say "Cleveland would have too many picks" is they know they can get an elite prospect at 12 and they could easily move up from 22 to get 2 high level prospects, basically making 4 vs the Bills package a 1 vs 2 proposition.  12 / 22 / 65 feels like a fair price, we overpay, but not criminally and we still have 2 2nds and don't touch next year.

That’s why I think Beane will ultimately give up next year’s 1st. It’s easily justified because it’s your big swing at getting a franchise QB. It’s not like he’s doing it for Sammy Watkins. After 20 years of QB hell i don’t think anyone would blink an eye at that move. And he can say he wanted to keep as many picks as possible in this year’s draft to ensure the new QB has weapons and protection. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s why I think Beane will ultimately give up next year’s 1st. It’s easily justified because it’s your big swing at getting a franchise QB. It’s not like he’s doing it for Sammy Watkins. After 20 years of QB hell i don’t think anyone would blink an eye at that move. And he can say he wanted to keep as many picks as possible in this year’s draft to ensure the new QB has weapons and protection. 

He can also sell giving up next year's 1st given the team's cap situation (which will most likely include $70M in space) going into 2019.

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Eric Galko has a new podcast today. I linked it with this thread in case anyone missed what he said last month. Great listen. Highlights from today:

- Giants not trading out of 2. Gettleman keeps things very close to the vest but will take Barkley. The Bills gave tried to trade for the pick many, many, many times since mid January. No trade.

- could work out better for Bills - maybe will trade for pick 4

- Broncos will not take a QB at 5 no matter who is there. Elway likes Keenum and wants to win. He also isn’t ready to give up on Paxton Lynch who he just took in the 1st 2 years ago. He has a small SB window with the defense and wants to build op the OL in this draft. Quenton Nelson. 

- Cardinals - no QB in first 2 rounds. They believe Bradford can be their franchise QB and doubled down at the position in FA by signing Mike Glennon. They have 28mill invested in the position and aren’t going to add to it with a 1st rd QB. May take one later.

- Ravens - leaning toward Kyle Lauletta. Fits what they want to do and where they want to take a QB (thinks they will take him late 2nd, could trade down)

-Miami - will take a Qb and likes Mayfield but he won’t be there. Going 3 to Jets. Pegging Mike White in the 3rd, perfect for Gase. Indicated Bills also like Mike White.

- jets - Mayfield is the pick at 3. Rosen could still be in play, but Mayfield is their guy. Jets knew who they would get when traded up to 3.

-Bills - fighting to move up. Will trade with Browns for 4. They will have the pick of Rosen and whoever the Browns don’t take (Darnold or Allen). Everyone believes the Browns are taking Darnold, and not to believe the crap getting fed to Schefter et al about Allen going 1.

- Colts will trade down and take RoJo at bottom of 1st

- not every team in top 10 needs a QB or wants to trade down so QBs will fall

- do not dismiss what people are saying about Rosen. There are teams that will not take him because of his “personality”

- Josh Jackson is a top 20 pick, will be 2nd CB off the board and could go before Minkah.

- Mike Hughes will not be a 1st rd pick or even early 2nd 

- TE Hayden Hurst to Jags

- guice, Kirk, Taven Bryan likely to go early 2nd rd

IF any of this is true, and that’s a big IF, Baker Mayfield being the AFC East scares the hell out of me.

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

IF any of this is true, and that’s a big IF, Baker Mayfield being the AFC East scares the hell out of me.

Mayfield to Jets has since been corroborated by Robert Klemko (his personal reporter doing that series of articles on him for mmqb) and Ben Allbright. Fwiw

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mayfield to Jets has since been corroborated by Robert Klemko (his personal reporter doing that series of articles on him for mmqb) and Ben Allbright. Fwiw

That makes me really really sad.  Not only will the Bills not end up with him but the Jets will? :sick:

On 4/11/2018 at 10:01 AM, McBean said:

Rivalry of the future Rosen(Bills) vs Mayfield(Jets). Just like Kelly vs Marino, and we won most of them!:D

!@#$ the Patriots and Dolphins!

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pretty much agree with everything he says here. Basically it's Darnold or Rosen, possibly Allen. The other guys do not seem to fit the mold for what the Bills want. 

The one thing he says that I disagree with is that this move has to happen now. I really don't think the Giants will trade out until they know what the Browns are going to do. So we really need the Browns to take Darnold for us to get Rosen imo. 

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I do not want to face Mayfield twice a year. At all. 

Just blitz his face off and draft really tall defensive lineman like 6-6 Trent Murphy. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Rivalry of the futute Rosen(Bills) vs Mayfield(Jets). Just like Kelly vs Marino, and we won most of them!:D

Wouldn't it be something if this draft really defined the next decade plus in the division, Rosen (Bills) vs Baker (Jets) vs Jackson (Dolphins) vs Rudolph / Lauletta (Pats).  In 1983 all 4 franchises took 1st round QBs....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Wouldn't it be something if this draft really defined the next decade plus in the division, Rosen (Bills) vs Baker (Jets) vs Jackson (Dolphins) vs Rudolph / Lauletta (Pats).  In 1983 all 4 franchises took 1st round QBs....

I really like the Rudolph/Lauletta led Pats.

Like Sean Connery said in the Untouchables, "never bring a knife to a gun fight"

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Pretty much agree with everything he says here. Basically it's Darnold or Rosen, possibly Allen. The other guys do not seem to fit the mold for what the Bills want. 

The one thing he says that I disagree with is that this move has to happen now. I really don't think the Giants will trade out until they know what the Browns are going to do. So we really need the Browns to take Darnold for us to get Rosen imo

Just blitz his face off and draft really tall defensive lineman like 6-6 Trent Murphy. 

I find it interesting how much of the early chatter (pre-combine), may turn out to be true. We heard Rosen to Bills, Mayfield to Jets, Barkley to Giants, Darnold to Browns etc.. Then after that in March everyone was connected with every team LOL!

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I find it interesting how much of the early chatter (pre-combine), may turn out to be true. We heard Rosen to Bills, Mayfield to Jets, Barkley to Giants, Darnold to Browns etc.. Then after that in March everyone was connected with every team LOL!

I really think there is truth to the Darnold-Rosen Bills love. Those reports came out so early, way before the combine. There was a report of us loving Darnold in December. To me, that is not a smokescreen. I feel and hope that Rosen will be our guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

Any scenario where we end up with Rosen makes me happy. I just wish the Jets ended up with Allen instead of Mayfield. I think Mayfield could be good, but I have little faith in Allen.

Interesting if Darnold AND Rosen fall out of the top 3 picks. I'd take either one. That's a dream scenario for the Bills. I kinda doubt that. If the Browns take Allen over Darnold #1 overall they deserve to suffer for the rest of time.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

The funny part is Rosen "personality" will turn some teams off, and it's almost 100% to our benefit.

Had their not been that "concern" there is no way we would have a shot at the best passer to come out in a long time.

Boy, I'll say.

We may end up getting the best QB/Player in the draft at something less than number 1 because he isn't an institutional guy.

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

That seems likely the most likely scenario. The Browns have no reason to stay at 4 with Barkley off the board. A player like Davenport fits their D much better than Chubb.

1 hour ago, section122 said:

That makes me really really sad.  Not only will the Bills not end up with him but the Jets will? :sick:

Mayfield is a good prospect, but it is not like he doesn't have bust potential. 

I would be fine with the Jets getting Mayfield if the Bills got Rosen. We just have to hope the Bills get the better QB. This draft will decide the next good team in the AFCE.

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Rivalry of the futute Rosen(Bills) vs Mayfield(Jets). Just like Kelly vs Marino, and we won most of them!:D

Now, I realize I'm in the minority....but intercourse with a Dolphin, let alone multiples, is not my idea of fun....

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Now, I realize I'm in the minority....but intercourse with a Dolphin, let alone multiples, is not my idea of fun....

I believe that the legend of mermaids actually comes from sailors having intercourse with manatees or something like that and justifying it.  

On 4/11/2018 at 10:08 AM, section122 said:

On 4/11/2018 at 10:09 AM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I do not want to face Mayfield twice a year. At all. 

Well they are getting Mayfield or Rosen.

Either way it's tough to stomach.

It'll be much easier to stomach when we get the other one.

It'll be even harder to stomach if we get neither of them.

I almost wish they take Rosen, leaving us Baker, and him putting the Jets on his "list" for passing on him.

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Well they are getting Mayfield or Rosen.

Either way it's tough to stomach.

It'll be much easier to stomach when we get the other one.

It'll be even harder to stomach if we get neither of them.

I almost wish they take Rosen, leaving us Baker, and him putting the Jets on his "list" for passing on him.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

God I hope the Browns draft Allen 1st overall. I don't want to be nervous that we'll trade up for him.

If the Bills trade up for Allen will you change your moniker from HappyDays to UnhappyDays? Just curious? :(

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the Bills trade up for Allen will you change your moniker from HappyDays to UnhappyDays? Just curious? :(

I will honestly feel like the next 2 years of Bills football are a huge waste if we trade up for Allen. If we somehow stayed at 12 and took him I would still hate it but it would be a salvageable mistake. I am really hoping we take literally anyone else. That being said if we draft him I won't B word about it all summer, I'll just silently stew in my misery :D

• Like (+1) 2

I just watched Darnold and Rosen film back to back today. It's not even close. Rosen is so far superior it's a joke that this is even a discussion.

Darnold dances around and jump passes it to get it in the playmakers hands. It's effective but it's not something you see at the NFL level. His footwork is horrible, he's falling away from the throw, all of his momentum is going backwards instead of stepping into the throw. It works on those short quick passes in that offense because it's basically a long handoff, just trying to get it into the receiver's hands to let them run with it. You never see him stand tall in the pocket and deliver a strike. If anything he will do that while scrambling or again while falling away from the pressure. I don't know if he lacks the arm strength on some of these throws or if it's just because he's falling backwards and doesn't have the momentum behind his throw because of his poor mechanics.

Josh Rosen is next level. On multiple throws he is set up to deliver the throw to a receiver but at the last second checks it down mid throw. You can see him going through the progression and he changes his release at the last second to throw it underneath. Because of his mechanics he can do that without resetting his feet. It's absolutely brilliant to see. Perfect base, good footwork in the pocket, momentum going forward, nice follow through. Just so impressive. Ask any QB to watch the film and it's not even a contest between these guys.

So what I think is happening is there's too many cooks in the kitchen. A scout watches the film and sees Darnold as a solid "football player" who is big and strong and effective. He can escape pressure and get the ball to the playmaker. But it's soooo ugly to watch. It's not what you are taught to do at all. We used to have a RB in high school that would do a sweep play with the option to throw and he would basically flip the ball to the wr. He wouldn't even try and grip the ball and throw a spiral he would just kind of flop the ball out there. That's what Darnold reminds me of. No mechanics. Any scout that has Darnold rated high is because they are not a QB, don't understand the position, and do not know what proper mechanics look like. Ask any QB to watch the tape and it would be unanimous. Rosen is the best QB in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1