The 2018 Winter Olympic thread

Just Jack

You bet. It won't consume me, if I miss something I won't be upset. But besides sports, the Family Guy and Better Call Saul I'm not much of a TV watcher and I've watched the Winter Olympics since I was a kid so this will be my go to TV for the next few weeks. These are the events that I want to catch at least part of:

Downhill Skiing

Ski jumping

Moguls

Half-pipe

Bobsled/Luge/Skeleton

Short-track skating

Ice hockey (only a metal round or US elimination game)

Curling

I am a sucker for the Olympics and will have it on if I am in front of a TV.

Watching Women's Short track 500,  18-year-old US skater that has one of the best smiles ever, Maame Biney. Made it back to the finals on Tuesday.  First African American to make the women's speed skating team. Watch her..here is a quick interview, she is awesome.

From DC area, who would've thunk!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/maame-biney-the-best

40 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Just finished watching Men’s Ski Jumping. Pretty exciting, but the American came in way back in 18th. 

I can’t help but think of the opening to The Wide World of Sports crash scene with the human rag doll. 

• Like (+1) 1

When is it?  Opening ceremony.  I guess I can Google it. <_<

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

I can’t help but think of the opening to The Wide World of Sports crash scene with the human rag doll. 

Gr8 write up:

Vinko Bogaraj (Word/Name ending in "J" for "'Tis the Season Threads";))

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/happened-agony-defeat-ski-jumper/story?id=41406621

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinko_Bogataj

8 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

We used to be able to watch on a Canadian TV station. I liked their coverage much better. More variety and not just focused on their athletes. But I still check it out every evening. 

English and French channel coverage is great for live events. 

Man, I hate NBCs coverage. The Olympics should be on demand and live, only. They should also not be littered with commercials the way they are. The announcers need to be flogged, as their screams of pain would sound better than their constant irrelevant chatter. 

Totally think you guys are missing out if you don't watch the biathlon. I wish shooting was more involved in the Olympics. Really a shame it isn't, since war and sports often have overlapping skills which are necessary for success in either.

27 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Man, I hate NBCs coverage. The Olympics should be on demand and live, only. They should also not be littered with commercials the way they are. The announcers need to be flogged, as their screams of pain would sound better than their constant irrelevant chatter. 

Totally think you guys are missing out if you don't watch the biathlon. I wish shooting was more involved in the Olympics. Really a shame it isn't, since war and sports often have overlapping skills which are necessary for success in either.

You realize, I assume, that this costs a lot of money, the live events are about 15 hours ahead of us, people tend to watch TV or have the time to watch TV much easier in prime time, 8-10 or 11pm, and the coverage of the Olympics these days is way, way, way more accessible and complete than in the past. Each Olympics is more coverage (for the most part, there may have been on hiccup).

• Like (+1) 1

two thngs watched this morning

1) The Finnish Women's hockey team played the USA, and it looked like a Sabre game from 99. Fins get outshot something like 45-15, but are within a goal with 2 minutes remaining, and had some good looks at tying it through the third. The US gets ENer, but the Fin goalie was outstanding

2) Mens 5000M Speed Skating. Some Dutch dude, Kramer, is dominant. Dude has won every world championship or Olympics since 2007, save one when he was ill. Talk about dominance..that's just awesome.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

two thngs watched this morning

1) The Finnish Women's hockey team played the USA, and it looked like a Sabre game from 99. Fins get outshot something like 45-15, but are within a goal with 2 minutes remaining, and had some good looks at tying it through the third. The US gets ENer, but the Fin goalie was outstanding

2) Mens 5000M Speed Skating. Some Dutch dude, Kramer, is dominant. Dude has won every world championship or Olympics since 2007, save one when he was ill. Talk about dominance..that's just awesome.

Kramer was the man (again) they said he makes millions in endorsements and is treated very well by his countrymen, meaning not being harrased for autographs and such.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

the Fin goalie was outstanding

She might be the best female hockey player in the world. 

12 hours ago, Heitz said:

YES - Red Gerard won the first US Gold in Snowboard Slopestyle!  I work with / know him and couldn't be more excited for him, he's a really good kid.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/snowboarder-red-gerard-wins-first-us-gold-medal-2018-winter-olympics

USA USA USA!!

Slopestyle is incredible.   The course was amazing... quite a feat of engineering. 

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You realize, I assume, that this costs a lot of money, the live events are about 15 hours ahead of us, people tend to watch TV or have the time to watch TV much easier in prime time, 8-10 or 11pm, and the coverage of the Olympics these days is way, way, way more accessible and complete than in the past. Each Olympics is more coverage (for the most part, there may have been on hiccup).

Yeah, I'm not sure what that has to do with the extremely poor production NBC has crammed down the American throats. I mean, it happens most every year so I imagine people are just used to it. You do realize NBC makes money on this? At least after watching the 5 minutes of commercial per block this would dawn upon you.

15 hours ago, Heitz said:

YES - Red Gerard won the first US Gold in Snowboard Slopestyle!  I work with / know him and couldn't be more excited for him, he's a really good kid.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/snowboarder-red-gerard-wins-first-us-gold-medal-2018-winter-olympics

USA USA USA!!

Snowboarding is crazy!   Those guys do so many amazing tricks!  The ladies slopestyle starts today I think.

I like the Winter Olympics better than the Summer games, partly because I watch more of them because I'm stuck inside because of the cold weather, but mostly because there are fewer events so I get to see more of individual events.  I'm a big fan of curling, downhill skiing, and bobsleds ... and now snowboarding.  :thumbsup:

Edited by SoTier

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Saw the last bit of cross country skiing this afternoon. The guy from Norway, goes from falling down in a pile of other skiers in the beginning, to winning by a dominant margin at the end. 

That is impressive, he really would have crushed them with out the fall.

8 hours ago, SoTier said:

Snowboarding is crazy!   Those guys do so many amazing tricks!  The ladies slopestyle starts today I think.

I like the Winter Olympics better than the Summer games, partly because I watch more of them because I'm stuck inside because of the cold weather, but mostly because there are fewer events so I get to see more of individual events.  I'm a big fan of curling, downhill skiing, and bobsleds ... and now snowboarding.  :thumbsup:

The lady snowboarders are on now and the wind is really making this interesting.

I love the Olympics and prefer winter to summer, so yes, I'm watching.

I'm recording hours of content each day/night and then burning through in the evenings, usually watching a day behind.

I just can't sit through commercials anymore.

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Saw the last bit of cross country skiing this afternoon. The guy from Norway, goes from falling down in a pile of other skiers in the beginning, to winning by a dominant margin at the end. 

That was awesome, I was going to mention that. From 30+ seconds behind at the start to over 23 seconds ahead on the final lap. 

9 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

That was awesome, I was going to mention that. From 30+ seconds behind at the start to over 23 seconds ahead on the final lap. 

that was cool, liked the biathlon too. But drives me nuts they all feel the need to collapse once over the finish line. I get it, you are tired, so are most every athlete in every endurance event, no need to dramatize it.