The 2018 Winter Olympic thread

Just Jack

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

She is getting killed on Twitter..in typical Canadian fashion most bashes from Canadians are something to the effect,,

"Cmom your Canadian, you're better than that, that is something the Americans would do"

although they have not done that 4 medal ceremonies previously.

Just catching up now.

#1, I don't see this as a Canadian/American thing.

I appreciate that her competitive nature led her to do what she did. I think it's more a slap in the face to Finland and the womens teams that didn't medal.  But I don't think that was her intention.  

I'm also an Islander fan that remembers when Billy Smith refused the post-series handshake.  I always gave him credit for owning it and to some extent respected his opinion even though I still thought it was douchey. 

In the end I just see it as an emotional response by an intense competitor. No biggie.

17 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Just catching up now.

I appreciate that her competitive nature led her to do what she did. I think it's more a slap in the face to Finland and the womens teams that didn't medal.  But I don't think that was her intention.  

I'm also an Islander fan that remembers when Billy Smith refused the post-series handshake.  I always gave him credit for owning it and to some extent respected his opinion even though I still thought it was douchey. 

In the end I just see it as an emotional response by an intense competitor. No biggie.

I had a hypothetical conversation with my wife tonight regarding whether she would be happy or disappointed if she won silver or bronze. She said she would be happy regardless because she got a medal in the Olympics. This is probably how most reasonable people think. Me on the other hand, I think if I was talented enough to make it to the Olympics I would be disappointed I'd I was on the podium and it wasn't gold.

I get the Canadian girls disappointment in a silver medal. However, I think you have to have some situational awareness and not do what she did. Give it the ol McKayla Maroney not impress face or something, but keep the medal around your neck.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I had a hypothetical conversation with my wife tonight regarding whether she would be happy or disappointed if she won silver or bronze. She said she would be happy regardless because she got a medal in the Olympics. This is probably how most reasonable people think. Me on the other hand, I think if I was talented enough to make it to the Olympics I would be disappointed I'd I was on the podium and it wasn't gold.

I get the Canadian girls disappointment in a silver medal. However, I think you have to have some situational awareness and not do what she did. Give it the ol McKayla Maroney not impress face or something, but keep the medal around your neck.

The team vs. individual dynamic is interesting as well.  

We all want or expect certain behaviors from the also-rans, but none of us put in the blood, sweat and tears to get where they did, whether it's individual or team. 

In the end, I didn't like nor would condone what she did, but I won't condemn it either.  She was emotional, people are fallible, poop happens.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It depends how good you are.  If you're the gold medalist favorite then I'd be disappointed in silver.  If you're not expected to medal you'd be thrilled with bronze.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

It depends how good you are.  If you're the gold medalist favorite then I'd be disappointed in silver.  If you're not expected to medal you'd be thrilled with bronze.

This seems like a rational idea. You should have been my guidance counselor .

7 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This seems like a rational idea. You should have been my guidance counselor .

I'd be a horrible guidance counselor.  I'm pretty sure I'd use the line from Caddyshack for the lazy/slow students.  "The world needs ditch diggers too."

7 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The team vs. individual dynamic is interesting as well.  

We all want or expect certain behaviors from the also-rans, but none of us put in the blood, sweat and tears to get where they did, whether it's individual or team. 

In the end, I didn't like nor would condone what she did, but I won't condemn it either.  She was emotional, people are fallible, poop happens.

i disliked the comments on Twitter more than I disliked her actions. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Just catching up now.

That's b.s.  They're all competitive.  Everyone in the world knew how disappointed the Canadians were; she made it a selfish thing all about herself.  It was classless and is not anything to be admired or "appreciated."

There's a real problem when poor sportsmanship is excused or respected.

8 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I saw a blurb on tv a few days ago about the psychology of medals.

gold=obviously ecstatic

bronze=glad to be on the podium

silver=pissed off.  I should have won gold. 

Obviously every person and every event are unique, but there have been a few cases where these feelings are apparent.

4 hours ago, eball said:

That's b.s.  They're all competitive.  Everyone in the world knew how disappointed the Canadians were; she made it a selfish thing all about herself.  It was classless and is not anything to be admired or "appreciated."

There's a real problem when poor sportsmanship is excused or respected.

She made a mistake and apologized. Let’s put down the stones. 

2 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Do you doubt it?

The righteous outrage over this woman’s mistake is a bit much, no?

Her "mistake" on a worldwide stage was a bit much, no?  What she did is pretty much unheard of.

19 hours ago, SoTier said:

The US Curling team skipped by John Schuster just beat the Canadians in the curling semi-finals, advancing to the gold medal round for the first time ever with a 5-3 win.  :thumbsup:  The US is guaranteed at least a silver for the first time ever.   :thumbsup:  The US plays Sweden on Saturday for the gold.  :thumbsup:

Here's the story: US Curling Semi Finals

The gold medal game in men's curling will began about 1 am tonight.  Curling aficionados can look for it on NBC, NBCSN or CNBC. 

33 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The gold medal game in men's curling will began about 1 am tonight.  Curling aficionados can look for it on NBC, NBCSN or CNBC. 

As much as I'd like to watch it live I think I'll record it and watch when I get up in the morning.

12 minutes ago, eball said:

As much as I'd like to watch it live I think I'll record it and watch when I get up in the morning.

One of the benies of being retired is that I can stay up late and watch live.   If the US wins (and maybe if it doesn't), NBC should have the highlights of the game on later tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Congratulations to the USA Olympic Curling team on winning the gold. ????

Wow!  They won gold.

Canada has to be a nation collectively in the fetal position right about now.  First hockey, now shuffleboard on ice.

14 hours ago, SoTier said:

One of the benies of being retired is that I can stay up late and watch live.   If the US wins (and maybe if it doesn't), NBC should have the highlights of the game on later tomorrow.

I haven't watched one second and I am up all night. :P

Olympics don't do it anymore... Outside of National Pride.  All spoiled athletes.  I know, rough... Is what it is.

The curling match was great!  For those who want to watch the replay at a more normal time, I won't give any details on how the US won.  All I will say is that it was worth staying up all night to watch.  If you want to read about it: US Men Win Curling Gold!

Women's bronze medal curling game (Japan vs Britain) is today, and women's gold medal match (South Korea vs Sweden) is tomorrow.

56 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The curling match was great!  For those who want to watch the replay at a more normal time, I won't give any details on how the US won.  All I will say is that it was worth staying up all night to watch.  If you want to read about it: US Men Win Curling Gold!

Women's bronze medal curling game (Japan vs Britain) is today, and women's gold medal match (South Korea vs Sweden) is tomorrow.

well if you don't want spoilers, don't come into a thread about the winter olympics!

I just finished the match..wow! 5 pt shot! 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well if you don't want spoilers, don't come into a thread about the winter olympics!

I just finished the match..wow! 5 pt shot! 

USA! USA! USA!

The match actually was starting as I was going to bed around 11:30 last night -- I caught Mr. T's awesome pre-match phone call -- and the replay was on when I woke up, so avoided the web (and this thread).  What a great match --- the 5 pointer was epic.   This an the girls' hockey were the highlights of the Games.

Whhhhaaaa!  We are all "individuals"... But fly my flag:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2018/02/25/588631420/a-russian-fans-perspective-on-a-most-unusual-gold-medal-ceremony-in-pyeongchang

The outrage!!!

Suck it up Snowflakes.  Be thankful you are not from N.Korea.  They punish 3 generations there.  O committee is going easy.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Whhhhaaaa!  We are all "individuals"... But fly my flag:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2018/02/25/588631420/a-russian-fans-perspective-on-a-most-unusual-gold-medal-ceremony-in-pyeongchang

The outrage!!!

Suck it up Snowflakes.  Be thankful you are not from N.Korea.  They punish 3 generations there.  O committee is going easy.

No sympathy here, but I did like the hockey team showing the balls to just sing their anthem anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

For me the Women's gold medal hockey game was epic. The finish to the ladies cross country relay was incredible as well. Those are two memorable moments that come to mind. I wish I could  unsee and hear that horrible singing and dancing from tonight though.

2 hours ago, bbb said:

I haven't heard a word about that Davis guy who was so pissed about not being the flag bearer.  How did he do these Olympics?

A shame he wasn't the bearer, such a shining example of good sportsmanship.:lol:

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bbb said:

I haven't heard a word about that Davis guy who was so pissed about not being the flag bearer.  How did he do these Olympics?

I thought I saw an article that said he even flew back before the closing ceremony but I can not find it now. I did find this....

http://amp.tmj4.com/2506000342/shani-davis-skates-away-from-olympics-in-silence.html

I loved these Olympic games, they were fun to watch and it looked like an absolutely beautiful area.  I know there was a lot of criticism over such announcers as Bode Miller and Johnny Weir, but I enjoyed both of them and their insights into the events they covered.