3 team trade Skins, 49ers, Bills, we get Jimmy G

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s fine, still a small sample size though. He had 7 TDs and 5 INT. 2 firsts?

a team wins 5 straight games after winning one all year and the only major change they made was a qb...... does much more need to be said for that? the guy had multiple 300 yd games, was tossing the ball all over the yard and they were scoring a serious amount of points. he had 1500 freaking yds in 5 starts dude. you left that part out. that's one hell of a sample. it wasn't the pats he was stepping in for again...... the niners had one freaking win. and it was against the giants.

and if we are gonna argue having a small sample size as not wanting to trade those picks then i'm assuming you aren't on board with using them to move up and draft a qb? 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Garoppolo's contract negotiation will be extremely tricky despite the kumbaya BS coming out of San Francisco.  He's not gonna accept less than the franchise tag projection of around $24m per year.  Yes, he played well for 5 games, but is San Fran gonna commit Cousins type money to Garoppolo when they could sign Cousins who has a longer track record and land a bunch of picks for Garoppolo.  It's not a slam dunk.  Garoppolo isn't gonna take an Osweiler contract.  

11 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Jimmy G comes in and goes 6-0 and San Fran says.. ahh he ain’t good enough let’s trade him. 

It’s more complicated than that. He looked good, not great, in a small sample size.  He beat the Bears by 1 point and scored 15. He beat the Rams in week 17 when they played their backups. He has played like 7 total games and wants a ginormous contract. I think he’s a good prospect but I’m wary of giving up two 1sts and paying him like he’s some proven franchise QB. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Honestly I could see San Francisco go after Cousins and try to get multiple 1sts for Jimmy G. If Shanahan feels the 2 players are similar then it's possible. 

JG and Cousins' contacts are going to be pretty close, too.  I don't think its a money thing.  It might be as simple as who Shanahan prefers more.  

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

a team wins 5 straight games after winning one all year and the only major change they made was a qb...... does much more need to be said for that? the guy had multiple 300 yd games, was tossing the ball all over the yard and they were scoring a serious amount of points. he had 1500 freaking yds in 5 starts dude. you left that part out.

and if we are gonna argue having a small sample size as not wanting to trade those picks then i'm assuming you aren't on board with using them to move up and draft a qb? 

I would definitely use them to move up and draft a Qb if they determine he’s the guy they want. It’s 5 years of a rookie deal vs an albatross of a contract. Plus 4-5 years younger. 

1 minute ago, stony said:

JG and Cousins' contacts are going to be pretty close, too.  I don't think its a money thing.  It might be as simple as who Shanahan prefers more.  

Definitely. If shanny Jr wants Jimmy he will pay him or franchise him. No way he lets him get away for any amount of draft picks. But imagine if he really wants Cousins or sees them as comparable... the absolute heist that he could pull off. 

I honestly would love the move for all teams involved, even if Buffalo gives up multiple 1sts.

Garoppolo knows the offense, Daboll coached him for 3 years. Should be a seamless transition. 

Washington gets picks for for a player they were losing. 

SF gets a QB they love as much or more than Garoppolo, and they get multiple high picks. 

5 minutes ago, stony said:

If you can have pick 21 and 22 plus Cousins for Garoppolo why wouldn't you do it. It's a no brainer. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would definitely use them to move up and draft a Qb if they determine he’s the guy they want. It’s 5 years of a rookie deal vs an albatross of a contract. Plus 4-5 years younger. 

Definitely. If shanny Jr wants Jimmy he will pay him or franchise him. No way he lets him get away for any amount of draft picks. But imagine if he really wants Cousins or sees them as comparable... the absolute heist that he could pull off. 

This is why I think this would never happen. Beane has always preached he wanted manageable and rookie contracts on the books. Does that exclude a signal caller?

As they say in the south: we're fixin to find out.

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I honestly would love the move for all teams involved, even if Buffalo gives up multiple 1sts.

Garoppolo knows the offense, Daboll coached him for 3 years. Should be a seamless transition. 

SF gets a QB they love as much or more than Garoppolo, and they get multiple high picks. 

If you can have pick 21 and 22 plus Cousins for Garoppolo why wouldn't you do it. It's a no brainer. 

For sure.  That's why the whole scenario isn't as ridiculous as it first seemed.  

Edited by stony

48 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

Dude haven't you learned by now that if there's a 1 in 6 trillion chance of this becoming reality this board goes nuts?

Of course.  Some people revel in such foolishness and are all too happy to propagate it no matter how nonsensical. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Jimmy isn’t even that much younger than Cousins. He will be 27 in November. And has played 7 games. I don’t get the reasoning behind him getting paid like a franchise QB with some giant extension. If I’m the Niners, and I think he was awesome in this short stint, I would franchise him and see what happens next year before pulling the trigger. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Just get a QB that can actually throw the ball accurately. I don't give a S who it is, just get 1 of the 6 that will be available via trade or draft.

lol. is that all it takes to play QB in the NFL? Just an accurate QB? 

LOL...funniest comment ive heard all year.

4 minutes ago, Don't stop billievein said:

If the 49ers trade Jimmy here, the pats will never make another trade with them and they will end up like the colts. The pats will find some way to screw them over. The pats are known to be vindictive at times. 

Oh please...you make it sound like the Pats will break into the 49ers stadium and light a bag of poop on fire at mid field...nonsense....and yes, I said poop.

Edited by JaCrispy

3 minutes ago, Don't stop billievein said:

If the 49ers trade Jimmy here, the pats will never make another trade with them and they will end up like the colts. The pats will find some way to screw them over. The pats are known to be vindictive at times. 

Why would the 49ers care?  The Pats do what's best for them and so will the 49ers.

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jimmy isn’t even that much younger than Cousins. He will be 27 in November. And has played 7 games. I don’t get the reasoning behind him getting paid like a franchise QB with some giant extension. If I’m the Niners, and I think he was awesome in this short stint, I would franchise him and see what happens next year before pulling the trigger. 

Two points:

1.  I think teams will shy away from the franchise route for QBs based on the Cousins example.  Instead of being a threat it has become leverage.  The QB market is like no other and teams will get stuck in a pay more loop.

2.  SF has the cap space to franchise Garrapolo and sign Cousins.  They can then take the time until the draft to work out a scenario where they could do a sign and trade.  Worse case, they have a really expensive backup but some team would bite.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dalton said:

Two points:

1.  I think teams will shy away from the franchise route for QBs based on the Cousins example.  Instead of being a threat it has become leverage.  The QB market is like no other and teams will get stuck in a pay more loop.

2.  SF has the cap space to franchise Garrapolo and sign Cousins.  They can then take the time until the draft to work out a scenario where they could do a sign and trade.  Worse case, they have a really expensive backup but some team would bite.

49ers will not use $50M in cap space for QBs

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think jimmy already made it pretty apparent in san fran the rest of the team isn't as big an issue if you have a huge talent at qb. so cap number at that point isn't as big an issue. is it going to surprise you if they give him a huge number and they keep winning like they did to finish out the 17 season?.... and your original rebuttal towards me was not wanting to trade those picks for him based on small sample size... whats a smaller sample size than a rookie having never played a down?

its dumb i'm putting this much effort into this argument anyways becuz its never gonna happen. lol

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Sometimes a ridiculous rumor sparks a good conversation.  If Garoppolo wants Cousins money, it absolutely makes sense for San Fran to consider signing Cousins and getting a bunch of picks for Garoppolo. 

Even if the money is the same.........if Lynch and Shanahan think they can add 3-4 high quality, cost controlled starting players and they think Cousins/Jimmy G is a wash then trading Jimmy G makes a lot of sense.

I just don't see how Washington doesn't end up with a dry beak in this scenario.   Gene Steratore would have to take out his index card to determine if the Skins had ANY leverage on Cousins in this situation.  Can't see how they can risk him signing that tender.   

3 minutes ago, Don't stop billievein said:

He also tweeted that Beane went to LA to meet with Jimmy G. 

He must have realized how ridiculous this entire story is. Beane meeting in public with the 49ers' QB such that the Bills would be charged with tampering.  :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz