3 team trade Skins, 49ers, Bills, we get Jimmy G

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-gm-reveals-what-bill-belichick-told-him-before-making-the-garoppolo-trade/

"Bill, beyond thinking this kid was a special football player, thought he was a special person," Lynch said recently, via MMQB.com. "And he just said, 'You're gonna love the player, guys respond to him.' I didn't know what that meant. You think you know, but (we saw) that right away, even when he wasn't playing."

"[Jimmy] just had command, he became a leader instantly," Lynch said. "And you kept hearing that from people at New England -- the guys love him. You don't really know what that means until you see it, and right away we saw it."

"We want Jimmy to be a Niner for a long, long time," Lynch said Tuesday, via the team's official website. "That process is going to take place here. We're eager to get that done, to have the opportunity. But, I think one thing that we really believe is that those things should take place between us and his representatives and not occur and transpire in the public. That's the way we're going to treat that. You have our assurances, and the fans do, that we'd like nothing more than to make him a Niner for a long, long time."

These dont look like comments of a GM who is not keeping Garoppolo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Why would you believe anything the 49ers' GM says when you have a post from Facebook? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

Jimmy G is a better player than Cousins. The only thing that would make this semi-legit is if Lynch / Shanahan had promised Cousins he will be the starter in SFO - which caused him to opt for the franchise tag two years in a row. Then might as well move Jimmy G for a pick + player. And it will likely be an AFC team instead of an NFC team. No team will give up a first unless they can sign Jimmy G long term - so Jimmy G can control the process to some extent. So likely no Cards / Giants / Browns / Jets.  That makes Broncos / Bills as the likely teams.  I just dont undertsand how the Redskins factor into the rumor - they have washed their hands off Cousins with the Smith trade, no?

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why would you believe anything the 49ers' GM says when you have a post from Facebook? :lol:

lol true. Wikipedia and FB are the true tests of truth now, arent they?

43 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think jimmy already made it pretty apparent in san fran the rest of the team isn't as big an issue if you have a huge talent at qb. so cap number at that point isn't as big an issue. is it going to surprise you if they give him a huge number and they keep winning like they did to finish out the 17 season?.... and your original rebuttal towards me was not wanting to trade those picks for him based on small sample size... whats a smaller sample size than a rookie having never played a down?

its dumb i'm putting this much effort into this argument anyways becuz its never gonna happen. lol

Because you are trading two firsts just for the chance to pay this guy like Derek Carr. Why? You can have a QB at the top of the draft who is 4-5 years younger, on a rookie deal, who you get 4 years to evaluate and another option year before you have to decide if he’s worth committing to. It’s great you got to see him for 7 games but 7 TDs and 5 INT isn’t enough for me to give him that much money/cap %/years. It would be enough for me to franchise him if I’m the niners and see what he does next year. But I’m not mortgaging the future for him at this point in time if I’m another team. That is just my opinion, clearly you have seen enough from him to do so, and that’s yours. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

So that means Lynch is just gonna give Garoppolo whatever money he asks for?  That contract was gonna be difficult before the presence of Cousins on the free agency market.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

So that means Lynch is just gonna give Garoppolo whatever money he asks for?  That contract was gonna be difficult before the presence of Cousins on the free agency market.  

Not necessarily.  Garoppolo could very well understand that not maxing out on a contract gives the team the ability to bolster the roster to make it more competitive for a longer period of time much in the same way Brady has done with New England.  Note that Garropolo has the same agent as Brady so the precedent is there.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

First:  There is zero percent chance of this happening IMO.  

But, if you really look at it then it’s possible SF could really come out big here if they felt Cousins was at least close to Jimmy G in terms of a QB.  If they did really feel good about Cousins, they could flip Jimmy to Bills for both first round picks and maybe even a player or additional pick.  Bills should absolutely do that deal if it was available (which it won’t be IMO) and SF still is set at QB and get more assets to invest heavy in adding more talent to the D and O.  

But I would take Jimmy G over Cousins and after the impact he had on the team, locker room, etc I have zero belief the Niners will part with Jimmy for anything.  

But it is intriguing when you say:  Would you rather have Jimmy G or Cousins and 2 first round picks?   Especially if you speculate they will cost similar amounts of money.  

I would take Jimmy, but I can see how someone might go the other way and take Cousins and 2 firsts, i just don’t believe the Niners have the interest in that side.

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Exactly, and when you factor they have 9 picks in the draft and a massive amount of cap room, the idea of a Jimmy G trade gets even more ridiculous than it already was.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First:  There is zero percent chance of this happening IMO.  

But, if you really look at it then it’s possible SF could really come out big here if they felt Cousins was at least close to Jimmy G in terms of a QB.  If they did really feel good about Cousins, they could flip Jimmy to Bills for both first round picks and maybe even a player or additional pick.  Bills should absolutely do that deal if it was available (which it won’t be IMO) and SF still is set at QB and get more assets to invest heavy in adding more talent to the D and O.  

But I would take Jimmy G over Cousins and after the impact he had on the team, locker room, etc I have zero belief the Niners will part with Jimmy for anything.  

But it is intriguing when you say:  Would you rather have Jimmy G or Cousins and 2 first round picks?   Especially if you speculate they will cost similar amounts of money.  

I would take Jimmy, but I can see how someone might go the other way and take Cousins and 2 firsts, i just don’t believe the Niners have the interest in that side.

yes the two first rounders with the franchise tag are what makes this so enticing to a GM. Even if Jimmy G was a bit better than Cousins - getting Cousins (for similar money) + 2 first rounders should be tempting. I still dont understand how Redskins enter into it though.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not necessarily.  Garoppolo could very well understand that not maxing out on a contract gives the team the ability to bolster the roster to make it more competitive for a longer period of time much in the same way Brady has done with New England. 

Thats hard to sell when the 49ers have $110m in cap space.  It'll take the 49ers years to spend that.  

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Thats hard to sell when the 49ers have $110m in cap space.  It'll take the 49ers years to spend that.  

It isn't at all with the long view in mind and it all depends on what UFAs they might target to speed up their time line. 

It would be great if this fantasy were true, but it certainly is not.  I think SF going for Jimmy rather than waiting for Cousins says all you need to know about what people in the know really think of Cousins, as Shanahan is certainly in the best position to know.  Cousins is at his ceiling as an average to slightly above average NFL QB, while Jimmy is only at the beginning and looks much more promising in terms of talent and leadership, and is much younger.  No way SF flips these two.  

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure Jimmy G is worth two 1sts. Small sample size, and was traded for a 2nd like 3 months ago.

What a move by the niners if they could pull it off though.  A few months ago they traded the 41st pick for him.  If they could turn 41 into 21 and 22 and then sign Cousins?  That would be an amazing coup by Lynch and Shanahan.  Cousins and 3 first round picks to build around would catapult that team back to contention.

What is Jimmy G's trade value?  When I saw this thread I started thinking about it.  If you are Cleveland would you give up 4?  Rob Johnson fetched 9th overall with a much smaller resume but draft picks weren't thought of as quite as valuable imo.  21 and 22 isn't that unreasonable if the Bills are thinking about packaging them to move up anyway.  Garoppolo has experience and looked very good in the NFL.  Packaging to move up gets them a much bigger question mark.  I can't nail down what I think would be good value for him.  Would Denver or the Jets part with their first?  Then SF can have 5 and 10 or 6 and 10 and probably move one of those picks to a qb needy team to gather more capital.  

Interesting to think about...

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It isn't at all with the long view in mind and it all depends on what UFAs they might target to speed up their time line. 

I wouldn't want you as my agent.  If that's the tactic 49ers are using with $110m of cap space, I'd offer to frontload all my money.  Pay me $50m right now, don't amortize it, and I'll take $20mil salary for 5 years.  $20m cap hit years 2-5 is low for a top QB.  Or they can start playing the Cousins franchise tag game where his price tag goes up 20% every year.  

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I wouldn't want you as my agent.  If that's the tactic 49ers are using with $110m of cap space, I'd offer to frontload all my money.  Pay me $50m right now, don't amortize it, and I'll take $20mil salary for 5 years.  $20m cap hit years 2-5 is low for a top QB.  Or they can start playing the Cousins franchise tag game where his price tag goes up 20% every year.  

It's about what the player envisions not what the agent decides. They may tag Garoppolo, but eventually they'll come to a long term deal with no acrimony like there was between Cousins and Washington's front office.   

22 minutes ago, section122 said:

What a move by the niners if they could pull it off though.  A few months ago they traded the 41st pick for him.  If they could turn 41 into 21 and 22 and then sign Cousins?  That would be an amazing coup by Lynch and Shanahan.  Cousins and 3 first round picks to build around would catapult that team back to contention.

What is Jimmy G's trade value?  When I saw this thread I started thinking about it.  If you are Cleveland would you give up 4?  Rob Johnson fetched 9th overall with a much smaller resume but draft picks weren't thought of as quite as valuable imo.  21 and 22 isn't that unreasonable if the Bills are thinking about packaging them to move up anyway.  Garoppolo has experience and looked very good in the NFL.  Packaging to move up gets them a much bigger question mark.  I can't nail down what I think would be good value for him.  Would Denver or the Jets part with their first?  Then SF can have 5 and 10 or 6 and 10 and probably move one of those picks to a qb needy team to gather more capital.  

Interesting to think about...

His value is probably higher now but then you have to pay him. If he had a year left on his deal it would be higher. There is a chance he could turn out to be just OK and then you are tied to him. I would want more to evaluate before giving the mega deal. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

lol. is that all it takes to play QB in the NFL? Just an accurate QB? 

LOL...funniest comment ive heard all year.

You want to name the last QB that actually threw an accurate ball here in Buffalo? I think you need to get out a little more if that is the funniest comment you have heard all year....

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

You want to name the last QB that actually threw an accurate ball here in Buffalo? I think you need to get out a little more if that is the funniest comment you have heard all year....

I don’t know if it’s the only thing but imo accuracy is definitely the most important thing.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know if it’s the only thing but imo accuracy is definitely the most important thing.

It sure would be nice to have a QB that can accurately see an open WR and accurately throw it to him, instead of not seeing him at all, or seeing him and throwing it over his head, even if the guy is 6'5".  I don't think people realize just how bad, awful, etc. Tyrod Taylor is.  I have come to the realization that this team is not going to go the next step unless one of the following is our QB next year:  Jimmy G, Cousins, Foles, Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  Anyone else and we are looking at 8 - 8 at best.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

It sure would be nice to have a QB that can accurately see an open WR and accurately throw it to him, instead of not seeing him at all, or seeing him and throwing it over his head, even if the guy is 6'5".  I don't think people realize just how bad, awful, etc. Tyrod Taylor is.  I have come to the realization that this team is not going to go the next step unless one of the following is our QB next year:  Jimmy G, Cousins, Foles, Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  Anyone else and we are looking at 8 - 8 at best.

I agree...we need one of those QBs you listed.  No if ands or buts- get it done

Edited by JaCrispy

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

The Bills' 9-7 2017 season says  :lol: