Will Mayfield be available at #21?

wppete

Do you guys think it’s possible teams will be shy to draft Baker Mayfield early in the draft because of off field concerns and his height? Maybe a slide like an Aaron Rodgers had?

The more I watch video on him the more I feel he would be perfect for our offense and weapons. He is very accurate and a strong arm. I’m a big fan. Hope it happens would love to see him as a Bill. 

Well, when Denver or the Jets sign Kirk Cousins, that leaves one of those two, Cleveland, and Arizona as teams desperately in need of a QB in round one.  With that being said, there's a bunch of teams that could need a QB (Giants, Chargers, Dolphins, to name a few) so we could see a slide of one of the top 4 guys, but it's hard to believe that they'll fall in our lap. 

I think it's more likely that Josh Allen is there at 21. 

I don't see the giants taking a QB so I would expect Darnold at #1, Rosen at #5/6 (depending on cousins), Allen or Mayfield at #15 and then the potential that the other falls. However, this seems unlikely. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Nope 

4 QBs will go in the top 10

Rosen

Darnold

Allen 

Mayfield 

Which four teams do you see in the top ten/trading up that are desperate enough for a QB to spend a top ten pick? 

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think it's more likely that Josh Allen is there at 21. 

I don't see the giants taking a QB so I would expect Darnold at #1, Rosen at #5/6 (depending on cousins), Allen or Mayfield at #15 and then the potential that the other falls. However, this seems unlikely. 

Which four teams do you see in the top ten/trading up that are desperate enough for a QB to spend a top ten pick? 

Cleveland

Giants

Denver

NYJ

Outside Top 10

Redskins

Miami

AZ

Buffalo

Saints

Jacksonville

and to take it a step further 

Cleveland - Darnold

Giants - Allen

Denver - Mayfield

Jets - Rosen 

Edited by MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....just a wild and unsubstantiated guess (about all I'm good for anyway), think that Rudolph is their pick at 21/22, safe and probably unsexy.......Mayfield available at 21 is doubtful nor do I think this gang surrenders draft capital to move up.....

They might even have to trade up a little to get Rudolph or Lamar Jackson.  I have a feeling that there will be a big QB feeding frenzy.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cleveland

Giants

Denver

NYJ

Outside Top 10

Redskins

Miami

AZ

Buffalo

Saints

Jacksonville

Giants go best talent with 1st round pick to capitalize on Eli's time left. One of Denver/NYJ will have Cousins, Redskins have Smith for next 4 years, Miami has their QB and Jacksonville has Bortles who they like. Aside from Cleveland and whoever misses on Cousins, its only really AZ and the Saints we have to worry about. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cleveland - Darnold

Giants - Allen

Denver - Mayfield

Jets - Rosen 

I think Denver will sign Cousins.  One thing's for sure though.  If there's a QB bust in the 1st round, it will be the Browns who draft that QB.

Just hoping they get a trade worked out with the Giants before the draft. 

1 minute ago, bills8323 said:

Giants go best talent with 1st round pick to capitalize on Eli's time left. One of Denver/NYJ will have Cousins, Redskins have Smith for next 4 years, Miami has their QB and Jacksonville has Bortles who they like. Aside from Cleveland and whoever misses on Cousins, its only really AZ and the Saints we have to worry about. 

See I think the other way. Giants look toward future and get the highest ceiling QB, that needs time, Josh Allen and sits him behind Eli one year. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think Denver will sign Cousins.  One thing's for sure though.  If there's a QB bust in the 1st round, it will be the Browns who draft that QB.

Could be. I think Cousins is going to a team like Jax. Ready built window open 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Also think them(Browns) trying to Trade for Alex Smith (and not wanting to extend him) point to they really like Allen as well and just tried to get that Bridge QB so they dont have to play him day one. 

Not really.  Darnold could use some additional development behind a veteran QB.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

....so then how soon should we anticipate page 1 being littered with "bring in___________from the Broncos" threads after Elway starts releasing from his QB stable??......Lynch?...Siemian?......Chad?....stay tuned......

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so then how soon should we anticipate page 1 being littered with "bring in___________from the Broncos" threads after Elway starts releasing from his QB stable??......Lynch?...Siemian?......Chad?....stay tuned......

Immediately as you know.  There will be some on here that say Lynch just needs the right coaching.

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....just a wild and unsubstantiated guess (about all I'm good for anyway), think that Rudolph is their pick at 21/22, safe and probably unsexy.......Mayfield available at 21 is doubtful nor do I think this gang surrenders draft capital to move up.....

Of course we got more pressing needs then moving up for a franchise QB,  I guess franchise QB falls somewhere between Long snapper and place holder on the needs list for McBeane.  But God forbid they need a Cornerback they'll move heaven and earth to get one of those guys.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Of course we got more pressing needs then moving up for a franchise QB,  I guess franchise QB falls somewhere between Long snapper and place holder on the needs list for McBeane.  But God forbid they need a Cornerback they'll move heaven and earth to get one of those guys.

...thanks for the Dopey Dickie Jauron memory...just ruined my whole damn weekend...YAWN.............:D

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

chad... after we send tt, a no.2 and no.22 for no.5 and chad.  then we have a nate vs. baker vs. chad qb royal rumble....

not to mention being set at qb for quite a few years.

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think Allen makes the most sense to the Giants. He needs the most work and 3 years behind Eli could do wonders. He has the most raw talent. 

Just seems to make too much sense to me. 

why wouldn't they rather have rosen behind eli for two yrs.? seems like the better bet to me.

but as far as the op goes, hopefully someone gets mayfield on vid with a wine cooler. maybe he'll slide and mc d will overlook that.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

...in the true spirit of FULL DISCLOSURE and admittedly being two filaments short of a bright light in year 55 of following da Bills/NFL, has Funk & Wagnalls finally accepted the TRUE definition of a FRANCHISE or ELITE QB?......I missed the memo...........

37 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cleveland

Giants

Denver

NYJ

Outside Top 10

Redskins

Miami

AZ

Buffalo

Saints

Jacksonville

and to take it a step further 

Cleveland - Darnold

Giants - Allen

Denver - Mayfield

Jets - Rosen 

Browns- Darnold 

Giants- Manning (will draft barkley- I think they like webb as the future.) 

Broncos- Cousins 

Jets- Rosen

Redskins- Smith 

Dolphins- Tannehill (They are probably the only one I can see taking a flier on Mayfield, but they so deeply underperformed that they have too many holes to take a QB) 

Cardinals- Allen/Mayfield (I think they probably pick up a vet and then go for Allen who has the higher ceiling.) 

Saints- Brees (Don't seem them being willing to trade up. Also, it's been said that they see Hill as their next guy) 

Jacksonville- Bortles (A first round pick at all is a bit risky, trading up is almost impossible to justify. I see them as a potential landing spot for Jackson as someone who can pressure Bortles/provide a spark if needed) 

I'm not saying it's likely that Mayfield is there at 21, but I do think it's possible. I think that these 4 QB's will not necessarily impress teams all that much and with all the vet. talent moving around It isn't totally unbelievable that one of 4 top guys drops. 

Edited by whatdrought

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think Allen makes the most sense to the Giants. He needs the most work and 3 years behind Eli could do wonders. He has the most raw talent. 

Just seems to make too much sense to me. 

Could be, I have no idea how this plays out. I just think Allen is not a natural thrower of the football. He has all the physical tools, but reminds me too much of EJ. I don’t know if they can correct his lack of accuracy. Therefore.....he’s bound for the HOF.  As I said, I have no idea, and don’t pretend to be an expert. 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Based on what?  Past history under old regimes? 

Ownership since Haslam bought the Browns in 2012.  If you look at the drafts starting in 2013 by the Browns it's pathetic.  Johnny Football, Justin Gilbert, and Barkevious Mingo top the list of busts (although Mingo may have resurrected his career with the Colts this year).  I don't trust Haslam's ability to bring in a competent GM.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Ownership since Haslam bought the Browns in 2012.  If you look at the drafts starting in 2013 by the Browns it's pathetic.  Johnny Football, Justin Gilbert, and Barkevious Mingo top the list of busts (although Mingo may have resurrected his career with the Colts this year).  I don't trust Haslam's ability to bring in a competent GM.

He already has with John Dorsey on board. 

If Mayfield is there then to me that signifies buyer beware. I will not claim to know more than any coach or scout in the NFL. I also have not spoke to Mayfields coaches or Mayfield. I only base my opinion on what I watched against UGA. Mayfield is an emotional player. If Mayfield makes it out of the top 12 there is a reason. Just like there was for Loseman, Manuel, Barkley, Quinn....etc 

I would be cautiously optimistic for a first round qb choice.  I also know it doesn’t mean the answer to the question at QB has necessarily been solved. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

48 minutes ago, wppete said:

Do you guys think it’s possible teams will be shy to draft Baker Mayfield early in the draft because of off field concerns and his height? Maybe a slide like an Aaron Rodgers had?

The more I watch video on him the more I feel he would be perfect for our offense and weapons. He is very accurate and a strong arm. I’m a big fan. Hope it happens would love to see him as a Bill. 

Is it possible...sure.

Is it likely...not very.  But of all the people, I think he has the best chance to fall to us.  

What we know:

1 QB is going to the Browns as they are 100% taking a QB at either 1 or 4 (I think it might be 4 too if rumors they love Allen are true).

1 QB is going to Broncos or Jets, if not 2.  Cousins landing spot is probably most talked about to be Den or NYJ, so quite possible one wont need a QB.

So that is 2 for sure, and possibly 3 right there in the top 10.  And that doesn't factor teams moving up to grab one either from the teens.  

Then you have rumors Dolphins might be thinking QB, the possibility the Giants might take one (although I doubt they do) as heir to Eli, and dont rule out the Redskins as I doubt they see Smith as the long term answer.

Cardinals need a QB (unless they sign Cousins, in which Both Jets and Broncos would have both likely gone QB in top 10).  And they might even trade up to get the one they want.  

Chargers also might grab someone if a guy they like falls as the heir apparent to Rivers just like GB did with Rodgers when Farve was there.  Remember, Chargers move into the big stadium in 2 years and are in a dog fight in LA to try and get a fan base.  Rivers likely done by then, so very possible they see a chance to grab a great prospect now to groom and unleash when they move into the new stadium.  

Honestly all depends on what Cousins does.  Best case scenario would be if Cousins signed with either Cle, Den, or Jets and took out one of the locks to draft a QB. If that happens, I think its possible one of the 4 could actually fall to us if teams like Giants, Redskins, and Chargers dont draft for the future.  I also wouldn't rule out Jacksonville trading up to get an insurance policy behind Bortles who still is way too inconsistent on a SB ready roster.  

WILDCARD:  Lamar Jackson.  There are teams that reportedly love him and its worth noting that former Cardinals HC Arians thinks he is special and loves the kid.  So its possible the Cardinals might be high on Jackson if they don't sign Cousins and that is the QB they take.  People keep over looking Lamar, but with a strong combine and workouts, he could go inside the first 3 or 4 QB's.  And if that happens, then the odds of Baker falling to us substantially rise, especially if Jets or Broncos signed Cousins (I don't include Browns because I cant imagine he wants to go there, but you never know).

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Just hoping they get a trade worked out with the Giants before the draft. 

See I think the other way. Giants look toward future and get the highest ceiling QB, that needs time, Josh Allen and sits him behind Eli one year. 

Could be. I think Cousins is going to a team like Jax. Ready built window open 

If Cousins goes to Jax (which I don't think will happen), then that makes Bortles available.   If Miami takes a first round QB, it's likely they'll cut/trade Tannehill to save some $$.

Just now, SoTier said:

If Cousins goes to Jax (which I don't think will happen), then that makes Bortles available.   If Miami takes a first round QB, it's likely they'll cut/trade Tannehill to save some $$.

Miami is already on the record with Tannehill as their QB in 2018 per Adam Gase. 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Your guess is as good as anyone else's and is more probable than most guesses. I believe that the Bills would be willing to trade up but they are not going to empty the cupboard to do so. That's why my sense is that they are hoping that Mayfield slides down a little so they can make a less costly move up the board. For the sake of creating a scenario would the Bills even use a first round pick on a qb if they could get a Keenum or Bridgewater from the market? I doubt they would. 

9 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If Mayfield is there then to me that signifies buyer beware. I will not claim to know more than any coach or scout in the NFL. I also have not spoke to Mayfields coaches or Mayfield. I only base my opinion on what I watched against UGA. Mayfield is an emotional player. If Mayfield makes it out of the top 12 there is a reason. Just like there was for Loseman, Manuel, Barkley, Quinn....etc 

I would be cautiously optimistic for a first round qb choice.  I also know it doesn’t mean the answer to the question at QB has necessarily been solved. 

If Mayfield falls, it's likely because he's shorter than desired, and most GMs like tall QBs.  Of all the faults a first round QB can have, that's probably the one that's least important as both Drew Brees and Russell Wilson have proven.