Sammy Coming Back???

Kwai San

9 hours ago, dezertbill said:

I think he was just being kind. 

Watkins will most likely get a crazy contract from somebody.  Heck, it only takes 1 team to believe in him.  He didn't have a QB in Buffalo and was part of a crowded WR core in LA that found him behind the 8 ball being traded in the middle of pre-season.  

He will sign with a team in March and go through a full off season of OTA's and getting acclimated with the QB.  It will also be a team who has a QB who can win by throwing the ball, unlike the Bills.

For the money he will most likely command, Buffalo seems like the last place he would get it from since he was traded from here. San Fran has a ton of space along with a former teammate (Goodwin) and a need for WR.  Texans needs help at WR along with his college roommate.  I can also see teams like the Jets, Jaguars and even Broncos take a look at him.

Not Buffalo though.

Sammy wasn’t healthy enough to stay on the field that isn’t on the QB. He had his best year in the NFL with Taylor playing in 2015 and still only played in 13 games that year.

Just now, Starr Almighty said:

I know alot of people are going to hate this post but....I'd rather sign Jarvis Landry over Sammy Watkins and I love Sammy Watkins.

The Bills do not need an overpriced slot receiver with a crap attitude who doesn't bring the element of speed to their offense. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills do not need an overpriced slot receiver with a crap attitude who doesn't bring the element of speed to their offense. 

4 years 400 rec. 4000+ yards 22TDs the guy can play. He does behave like a 4 year old, I'll give you that. That's with average QB play.

55 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

What does it tell me?

That he didn't distinguish himself. What else could it possibly be?

So to summarize:

- Sammy had difficulty with a young QB 

- Sammy had difficulty with those pesky #1 and #2 CBs

- TT suffered in large part because of Zay

What else am I missing?

That's what it tells you? it doesn't tell you that the Rams had the OPOY in Todd Gurley? it doesn't tell you that the Rams liked to spread the ball around? Alrighty then. I would take him back in a heart beat, because he is a damn good WR. 

5 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

4 years 400 rec. 4000+ yards 22TDs the guy can play. He does behave like a 4 year old, I'll give you that. That's with average QB play.

Not a Beane/McDermott kind of player and he doesn't add what they lack as a good complement to Benjamin. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan2313 said:

That's what it tells you? it doesn't tell you that the Rams had the OPOY in Todd Gurley? it doesn't tell you that the Rams liked to spread the ball around? Alrighty then. I would take him back in a heart beat, because he is a damn good WR. 

He's good, no denying it.

The elite play elite. Sammy is not that. 

No excuses.

Funny they say that the Bills had one of the worst WR groups in the NFL. If they had a quality QB throwing to them, they would have been fine.

Benjamin was putting up great numbers THIS SEASON before being traded to Buffalo. Matthews put up very good numbers his entire career before coming to Buffalo.

I think those two, at least, are quality starters and we wouldn't even be talking about the WR group if we had a top 15 passer throwing to them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The little I watched Watkins in LA and followed him statistically gave me no reason to believe he has become the next Deandre Hopkins or AJ Green. He was not consistent and at times disappeared. That being said he still has the speed and decent hands with a deep throwing QB he could be dangerous.

56 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Roscoe Parrish reincarnated?   No thanks.

I mean we need a speedy deep threat and that's what he gives you. I'm thinking $16 million should lock him up for 2 years. He's much better than Deonte Thompson and I think Daboll could build some gadget plays around him.

Just now, HappyDays said:

I mean we need a speedy deep threat and that's what he gives you. I'm thinking $16 million should lock him up for 2 years. He's much better than Deonte Thompson and I think Daboll could build some gadget plays around him.

Does his best work in the slot and he's not consistent at all.  I prefer Paul Richardson as a free agent acquisition who would fulfill the outside deep threat role.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Roscoe Parrish reincarnated?   No thanks.

He should just become a full-time RB IMO. He's no good when he's matched up against corners, but put him in the backfield and play him in a James White/Ty Montgomery type role and you might have a dangerous weapon. With his athleticism, he could feast on linebackers as he motions out of the backfield.

I don't have any interest in playing him as a traditional slot WR.

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does his best work in the slot and he's not consistent at all.  I prefer Paul Richardson as a free agent acquisition who would fulfill the outside deep threat role.

I would like Richardson too. Might be a little more expensive but a better all around receiver. But is Seattle going to let him walk?

On 2/3/2018 at 12:27 PM, ColoradoBills said:

I was just looking at Sammy's Spotrac Market Value earlier in the week.

It's 18 million for 3 years.  6 Million average.

Remember when everyone thought it would be over 12 and closer to 14.

I really wouldn't mind getting Sammy back if it was around 3 for 18. I think he is well liked in the locker room and is a good player when heathy.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Tyrod is average or slightly above average in the right system. 

The Bills receivers are probably the worst group in the league.

Tyrod is none of those things. He's awful in any system. On the flip side, KB was excellent in Carolina, Clay has always been good, Thompson made some big plays, O'Leary is if nothing else a dependable target and McCoy is one of the best receiving backs in the league. Then you have the guys he's run out of town with his ****ty play, Hogan, Woods, Watkins, Goodwin.

Thankfully Tyrod will be gone. Maybe he'll take some of his fans with him.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Tyrod is average or slightly above average in the right system. 

The Bills receivers are probably the worst group in the league.

By the end of the year KB's pedigree had raised the group some in terms of perceived talent(though his gimpy knee made him totally unimpactful)..........but over the course of the season they were the worst WR group the Bills have had since the NFL merger.   And worst in the NFL in 2017.   You can't play much worse than Zay Jones did and still not find yourself inactive or cut.

I like Deonte Thompson as a #4 or #5.............he's improved and can actually run some routes but the main reasons he was cut the first time in Buffalo are still his major flaws........he doesn't track the ball well which negates much of his speed advantage and his hands are inconsistent.  

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

By the end of the year KB's pedigree had raised the group some in terms of perceived talent(though his gimpy knee made him totally unimpactful)..........but over the course of the season they were the worst WR group the Bills have had since the NFL merger.   And worst in the NFL in 2017.   You can't play much worse than Zay Jones did and still not find yourself inactive or cut.

I like Deonte Thompson as a #4 or #5.............he's improved and can actually run some routes but the main reasons he was cut the first time in Buffalo are still his major flaws........he doesn't track the ball well which negates much of his speed advantage and his hands are inconsistent.  

A bit of hyperbole, as usual?

The worst group since 1970?

Byron Franklin, Mitchell Brookins, Chris Burckett and Eric Richardson would beg to differ.  The entire stretch from 1984 to 1987 was horrific and people forget that Andre Reed wasn't really good in his first two years.    I'll even throw in 1996 as worse than this year

5 hours ago, GG said:

Byron Franklin, Mitchell Brookins, Chris Burckett and Eric Richardson would beg to differ.  The entire stretch from 1984 to 1987 was horrific and people forget that Andre Reed wasn't really good in his first two years.    I'll even throw in 1996 as worse than this year

C'mon Gerry. The 1996 group wasn't bad. People thought Reed might have lost a step after the 1995 injury, but remember him outracing the entire Giants secondary in game 1 for what turned out to be the decisive TD? Or how about Quinn Early destroying BB and Parcells on the decisive 3rd and 18 play in game two when he raced through the coverage for the winning TD? (This was after the Pats, in a flight of hubris, foolishly agreed to assess a holding penalty against the Bills on third down; otherwise it would have been 4th and 8).  Both of those guys not only put up FAR better numbers than anyone on the Bills this year, they were a LOT more talented. And when I say a LOT, I mean a LOT, especially given the injury status of Benjamin. Let's not forget that Early was a talented player who had two good seasons for the Bills after an excellent '95 season in NO.  

Really, it's not even close. Reed had over 1000 yards and averaged 15.7 ypc (plus a 65.3 percent catch rate!), and Early had 800 and averaged 16.0!! The problem that year was not the receiving corps; it was a decrepit Jim Kelly followed by an even worse Todd Collins the next season. 

Edited by dave mcbride

5 hours ago, GG said:

I addressed a similar complaint to this take earlier in the season but here you go:

Byron Franklin had 69 catches for 862 yards in 1984.:doh:

Chris Burkett lead the entire NFL with 22.9 ypc and had almost 800 yards in 1986.:doh:

Andre Reed averaged almost 700 yards in his first two seasons.:doh:

Deonte Thompson was the only Bills WR to surpass 400 yards in 2017.:lol:   

Basically 1984 Bryon Franklin doubled up what the 2017 Bills best WR produced.:lol:

And those are mid-80's numbers.......not adjusted for inflation.:thumbsup:

The reasons this years Bills WR corps were so acutely bad was multi-fold.

First was that the only receiver of note that even played in the preseason,  let alone camp or OTA's,  was Zay Jones and he was arguably the worst performing WR in the entire NFL.    

That was the guy who got the most snaps at WR this year!   Probably the WORST performing WR in the entire league.

After that they acquired enough "talent"(Matthews, Benjamin and stray dog turned receiving leader Deonte Thompson) to *maybe* not appear "on paper" to be the very least talented group they've had since 1970(next worst pedigree was actually probably 2010 Stevie Johnson/Donald Jones and David Nelson).

But those three acquisitions had no experience in the offense before the season began which greatly reduced their chance to be effective..........AND KB and Matthews were playing with significant injuries almost the entire time that they were on the field....... making them much less impactful than the players they were in the past.    They were shells of the guys the Bills thought they were getting. 

WITHOUT DOUBT the least available talent the Bills have had at WR.         

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I addressed a similar complaint to this take earlier in the season but here you go:

Byron Franklin had 69 catches for 862 yards in 1984.:doh:

Chris Burkett lead the entire NFL with 22.9 ypc and had almost 800 yards in 1986.:doh:

Andre Reed averaged almost 700 yards in his first two seasons.:doh:

Deonte Thompson was the only Bills WR to surpass 400 yards in 2017.:lol:   

Basically 1984 Bryon Franklin doubled up what the 2017 Bills best WR produced.:lol:

And those are mid-80's numbers.......not adjusted for inflation.:thumbsup:

The reasons this years Bills WR corps were so acutely bad was multi-fold.

First was that the only receiver of note that even played in the preseason,  let alone camp or OTA's,  was Zay Jones and he was arguably the worst performing WR in the entire NFL.    

That was the guy who got the most snaps at WR this year!   Probably the WORST performing WR in the entire league.

After that they acquired enough "talent"(Matthews, Benjamin and stray dog turned receiving leader Deonte Thompson) to *maybe* not appear "on paper" to be the very least talented group they've had since 1970(next worst pedigree was actually probably 2009 Stevie Johnson/Donald Jones and David Nelson).

But those three acquisitions had no experience in the offense before the season began which greatly reduced their chance to be effective..........AND KB and Matthews were playing with significant injuries almost the entire time that they were on the field....... making them much less impactful than the players they were in the past.    They were shells of the guys the Bills thought they were getting. 

WITHOUT DOUBT the least available talent the Bills have had at WR.         

See my post above about 1996.

The Bills were also 15th in passing yards and 9th in passing TDs in 1986.

Edited by dave mcbride

20 hours ago, Luka said:

yrod is none of those things. He's awful in any system. On the flip side, KB was excellent in Carolina, Clay has always been good, Thompson made some big plays, O'Leary is if nothing else a dependable target and McCoy is one of the best receiving backs in the league.

1/2 of Hotrod's picks this season bounced off of Clay's hands.

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

C'mon Gerry. The 1996 group wasn't bad. People thought Reed might have lost a step after the 1995 injury, but remember him outracing the entire Giants secondary in game 1 for what turned out to be the decisive TD? Or how about Quinn Early destroying BB and Parcells on the decisive 3rd and 18 play in game two when he raced through the coverage for the winning TD? (This was after the Pats, in a flight of hubris, foolishly agreed to assess a holding penalty against the Bills on third down; otherwise it would have been 4th and 8).  Both of those guys not only put up FAR better numbers than anyone on the Bills this year, they were a LOT more talented. And when I say a LOT, I mean a LOT, especially given the injury status of Benjamin. Let's not forget that Early was a talented player who had two good seasons for the Bills after an excellent '95 season in NO.  

Really, it's not even close. Reed had over 1000 yards and averaged 15.7 ypc (plus a 65.3 percent catch rate!), and Early had 800 and averaged 16.0!! The problem that year was not the receiving corps; it was a decrepit Jim Kelly followed by an even worse Todd Collins the next season. 

1996 was a typo, I meant to write 1995.  The WR group was pretty sorry that year, especially hurt by Reed's injury.

And please don't fall into BADOL's trap of citing statistics that have nohing to do with the quality of the WR corps (which is what the topic is).  Unless you also want to say that Tyrod is as good a quarterback as Jim Kelly.

Cue BADOL to remind us that Tyrod put up the best Bills offensive numbers in nearly 2 decades, but for whatever reason not a single QB-starved team wanted him last year, and he may not even get a 4th round draft choice in return if traded this year.   Odd how he knows more than the collective NFL.

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

See my post above about 1996.

Yeah the 1996 WR corps was disappointing but you are right, their numbers weren't bad at all.    The standard was high then.........JK was coming off a year where he was deserving of the AFC offensive player of the year in 1995 and we wanted a deep threat opposite Reed that Bill Brooks really couldn't supply.   Quinn Early disappointed(relatively speaking because we all hoped he might be a 1,000-1,200 yard field stretching WR in a better offense than the Saints) and Moulds was seen as an instant impact performer and couldn't get on the field.     Short of expectations but not bad.

The 2017 Bills WR situation was grotesque.    

7 minutes ago, GG said:

1996 was a typo, I meant to write 1995.  The WR group was pretty sorry that year, especially hurt by Reed's injury.

And please don't fall into BADOL's trap of citing statistics that have nohing to do with the quality of the WR corps (which is what the topic is).  Unless you also want to say that Tyrod is as good a quarterback as Jim Kelly.

Cue BADOL to remind us that Tyrod put up the best Bills offensive numbers in nearly 2 decades, but for whatever reason not a single QB-starved team wanted him last year, and he may not even get a 4th round draft choice in return if traded this year.   Odd how he knows more than the collective NFL.

The 1995 group was bad with Andre Reed injured but Bill Brooks and Russell Copeland were with the team the entire season.   So JK's top available target wasn't the worst performing WR in the league like Zay Jones.........it was Bill Brooks who caught 11 TD passes.

If you mean in terms of pedigree regardless of whether the players were hobbled or how they actually played that season.........KB and Jordan Matthews have a LONG way to go before they put up the nearly 22,000 yards receiving that Reed and Brooks put up combined. 

I know I've told you this before Gerry........but your takes........they just aren't good.    I am astounded by how little thought or research you put into it.:lol: