Tyrod Wants to Stay with the Bills, but Won't Take Another Pay Cut

2 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Why would he agree to take another pay cut?

Because if he takes a pay cut the bills won’t be signing another FA QB and he might be able to start next year.  He might not have a job or a good contract next year if he’s released. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s probably true. It would be a good 2 year fit though. Play elite defense, run it down teams throats and don’t make mistakes. They are a championship contender. I think that Bortles surgery though will force them to guarantee his $19M (or whatever it is). The conspiracy theorists think that’s why he had the procedure.

If Bortles is there TT isnt. 

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's ridiculous. It's a reporter's job.

And it was Tyrod's best chance to stay.

It'll cost the Bills $23 mill to keep him for this one year of play. $18 mill on the 2018 cap and $5.6 mill dead money on the 2019 cap even while he's playing for someone else. It's an issue, and a major one. 

Give Tyrod the chance to say "No" if that's how he feels.

That's fair, I just roll my eyes when reporter's ask uncomfortable questions that they already know the answers to.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So then i look around the league and dont see a spot for him. Maybe a BU to like a Winston or a Watson (offenses wouldnt have to change too much for TT)

Bills and Tyrod test market.  Both realize they can't quit each other and Tyrod resigns for a more cap friendly deal in early March.  We draft Rudolph in the draft and pull Tyrod halfway through the season.  Rudolph throws 5 picks in a half at Minnesota and Tyrod starts the rest of the year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was going to let it go but come on man. He led 2 good offenses and 1 OC became a HC!! Don’t casually ignore that when trying to twist things. Also he started 44 of a possible 49 games. He’s missed 3 to injury in 3 years. Let’s not act like he has “injury issues.”

Also, ignore the rushing stats because they don’t help twist things? Do we not count them for Russell Wilson or Cam Newton? What matters is that you move the chains on 3rd down, execute in the red zone and take care of the football. Tyrod has always taken care of the football but the red zone and 3rd down were worse this year. I didn’t verify that but it sure feels that way.

That’s how they went from back-to-back top 10 DVOA & scoring offenses to pretty inept. I’ve thought that Rico was the biggest problem (as he was the biggest thing that was different). Tyrod certainly played worse than the previous years. The receivers were worse. The run game was worse. The OL was worse and the coaching was worse. They didn’t move the chains enough and didn't execute in the red zone. That’s why the offense struggled, not because of passing yards!!

We all are in agreement that it is best for everyone to move on but let’s not distort the truth to alter reality. 

Of course his rushing stats count.  Statistically.  But you are never going to convince me that they in anyway make up for his lack of passing ability.

wilson and newton both run but they also light up the scoreboard with passing numbers as well.

i know Roman tried to open the playbook for Taylor and then was forced to reduce it and then fired.

and Dennison was also fires due to lack of offense.

5 games man in 2017.  5 games where Taylor started the team scored 0 Touchdowns total the entire time Taylor was the starter in those games.

its 2018!

for the amount of production we get from him it’s smarter to tKe a swing at a rookie being great.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So then i look around the league and dont see a spot for him. Maybe a BU to like a Winston or a Watson (offenses wouldnt have to change too much for TT)

Arizona is another place that comes to mind. I also think that whoever drafts Allen and Jackson may need a guy to play for at least a year. I could see a situation like that.

The carousel will be moving this offseason. There will be a lot of teams with new QBs and  a lot of guys to fill them. The first domino fell with Smith and I’d expect Cousins to be next. From there it’s a crapshoot. I hate that FA comes before the draft. It is pretty backwards.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Arizona is another place that comes to mind. I also think that whoever drafts Allen and Jackson may need a guy to play for at least a year. I could see a situation like that.

The carousel will be moving this offseason. There will be a lot of teams with new QBs and  a lot of guys to fill them. The first domino fell with Smith and I’d expect Cousins to be next. From there it’s a crapshoot. I hate that FA comes before the draft. It is pretty backwards.

I could see AZ maybe. Depends how much their offense changes with Ariens departure. 

Yeah agree with you on Allen or Jackson but that means TT is sitting on the market until after the draft (which I think he will be)

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

Can't wait until this scrub is someone else's problem..

TT is a model player & representative of the Bills organization, I really don't get the "hate" that he receives from some fans.

I understand that you don't like his style of QB'ing but overall his record is better than .500 and off the field he is a great representative  of this team, organization and City. 

I really wish the best for him, he is a class act. Some here could only wish they had the class to deal with blowhard's on a daily basis with style & grace. He really doesn't deserve it, imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Of course his rushing stats count.  Statistically.  But you are never going to convince me that they in anyway make up for his lack of passing ability.

wilson and newton both run but they also light up the scoreboard with passing numbers as well.

i know Roman tried to open the playbook for Taylor and then was forced to reduce it and then fired.

and Dennison was also fires due to lack of offense.

5 games man in 2017.  5 games where Taylor started the team scored 0 Touchdowns total the entire time Taylor was the starter in those games.

its 2018!

for the amount of production we get from him it’s smarter to tKe a swing at a rookie being great.

If it is 3rd and 6 and a QBs runs for 7 or throws for 7 which is better? That’s why that argument is stupid. It’s not about yards. It’s about scoring when you have a chance and moving the chains on 3rd down. The Bills didn’t do those things well. Dennison was fired because he was a MASSIVE reason why. His red zone play calling was epically horrible. The offense will be much improved next year regardless of the QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

NYJ also could make a play. They are confusing to me on what their plans are 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I could see AZ maybe. Depends how much their offense changes with Ariens departure. 

Yeah agree with you on Allen or Jackson but that means TT is sitting on the market until after the draft (which I think he will be)

I agree too on the time on the market. I think a lot of these “placeholder” QBs could be out there a while. Cousins will go soon but then everyone is jockeying to get their guys in the draft. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

NYJ also could make a play. They are confusing to me on what their plans are 

I don’t think that they have a plan. 

I agree too on the time on the market. I think a lot of these “placeholder” QBs could be out there a while. Cousins will go soon but then everyone is jockeying to get their guys in the draft. 

I don’t think that they have a plan. 

I am still trying to figure Bills too. I figure it is draft. However are they willing to go into the draft with just Peterman on the Roster. 

I think McCown or Anderson get signed here before the draft

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If it is 3rd and 6 and a QBs runs for 7 or throws for 7 which is better? That’s why that argument is stupid. It’s not about yards. It’s about scoring when you have a chance and moving the chains on 3rd down. The Bills didn’t do those things well. Dennison was fired because he was a MASSIVE reason why. His red zone play calling was epically horrible. The offense will be much improved next year regardless of the QB. 

It’s better if he throws for it over running for it.  That is what a QB does.  They throw.  Plus, the rules are designed to protect the Qb Who throws not the QB who runs.  Once they run they are more prone to injury and the leagues ability to protect them diminishes.

as for the play calling.  WRs are open all the time or they can be thrown open or they just need a QB to give them a chance. All three things Taylor doesn’t see, do or trust to do enough of for the modern game.

8 minutes ago, pimp on da' net said:

TT is a model player & representative of the Bills organization, I really don't get the "hate" that he receives from some fans.

I understand that you don't like his style of QB'ing but overall his record is better than .500 and off the field he is a great representative  of this team, organization and City. 

I really wish the best for him, he is a class act. Some here could only wish they had the class to deal with blowhard's on a daily basis with style & grace. He really doesn't deserve it, imo.  

The fans are mentally ill. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am still trying to figure Bills too. I figure it is draft. However are they willing to go into the draft with just Peterman on the Roster. 

I think McCown or Anderson get signed here before the draft

Those guys would make sense. They will have some kind of vet and then a trade up I would think. I don’t know how they have them ranked but based on the effort they have put into this class they are getting one early.

TT has been nothing but class during his time with the Bills a total team guy dripping with leadership qualities. If the Bills are smart they will realize that . I would imagine they look to improve at every position on the roster every season. That being said do what you can to keep TT around yet if it is a better fit for him to move, do right by the guy assuming we can improve the QB situation.

Edited by crittergitter

5 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

It’s better if he throws for it over running for it.  That is what a QB does.  They throw.  Plus, the rules are designed to protect the Qb Who throws not the QB who runs.  Once they run they are more prone to injury and the leagues ability to protect them diminishes.

as for the play calling.  WRs are open all the time or they can be thrown open or they just need a QB to give them a chance. All three things Taylor doesn’t see, do or trust to do enough of for the modern game.

So you don’t get a 1st down either way? No offense but that’s really stupid. Rushing TDs and passing TDs count for the same amount of points too.

Also, not sure if you saw the advanced stats on wr separation. The Bills were last in the league.

3 minutes ago, crittergitter said:

TT has been nothing but class during his time with the Bills a total team guy dripping with leadership qualities. If the Bills are smart they will realize that . I would imagine they look to improve at every position on the roster every season. That being said do what you can to keep TT around yet if it is a better fit for him to move, do right by the guy assuming we can improve the QB situation.

Class yes he has alot of it. But i dont see where people see leadership qualities in TT

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So you don’t get a 1st down either way? No offense but that’s really stupid. Rushing TDs and passing TDs count for the same amount of points too.

Also, not sure if you saw the advanced stats on wr separation. The Bills were last in the league.

The rushing QB is a failed commodity with a history of football filled with QBs who have never maintained consistent success for themselves or their teams by tucking and running.

it is the Qb who stands in the pocket who is primarily thinking throw first and he stays in the pocket and delivers passes who find sustained success in the league.

7 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The rushing QB is a failed commodity with a history of football filled with QBs who have never maintained consistent success for themselves or their teams by tucking and running.

it is the Qb who stands in the pocket who is primarily thinking throw first and he stays in the pocket and delivers passes who find sustained success in the league.

That’s not right. Every player is a collection of all of their talents. Russell Wilson runs a lot. The goal isn’t to get passing yards, it is to get points. That’s how you win and lose. Cam Newton had 10 rushing TDs, was the MVP of the league and went to the Super Bowl in 2015. Would you say that he failed? 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just for some perspective Mike Glennon made $16M this year!! 

Tyrod will make much less than that. Never underestimate the incompetence of NFL GMs. Josh Allen will be a 1st round pick this year. It's as sure as it is stupid.

As a person, I have great respect for Tyrod. He has given a lot to the Bills team and has been all class. No drama and all effort plus willing to take a pay cut. Whenever he leaves the Bills, I will wish him well. 

With that being said, we should be looking to upgrade if possible. My problem with Tyrod is if McD is looking for a pocket QB, he is not the type of QB you would want teaching the young guy how to read the field. I also don't think he should take a pay cut. He is a proven player at a position of need in the league. If he's not on the Bills, he'll be playing somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The guy took less than market value and then took a pay cut the next year. He’s watching Mike Glennon and Brock Osweiler getting PAID. He doesn’t owe the Bills a thing. He shouldn’t take a pay cut. 

You're absolutely right.  He shouldn't take a pay cut because he shouldn't even be on our roster. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

As a person, I have great respect for Tyrod. He has given a lot to the Bills team and has been all class. No drama and all effort plus willing to take a pay cut. Whenever he leaves the Bills, I will wish him well. 

With that being said, we should be looking to upgrade if possible. My problem with Tyrod is if McD is looking for a pocket QB, he is not the type of QB you would want teaching the young guy how to read the field. I also don't think he should take a pay cut. He is a proven player at a position of need in the league. If he's not on the Bills, he'll be playing somewhere. 

I will be amazed if he is starting somewhere next year.  Stranger things have happened but I think a lot of us forget the Bills granted this guy permission to find another starting gig last year and not one team bit.   Hence the reason he took the pay cut in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

There is no way he's the starting qb for the bills next season. NO WAY. how many more games with 165 yards and 1 TD can we take? Not happening. Thankyou for all your hard work Tyrod, but the bills are going to go in a different direction 

Maybe 16 if a rookie starts.  Or Peterman.  It can be a ton worse than Tyrod. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t blame him. He’s been more than fair to the Bills. It’s also hilarious that people on here are mad at a guy that won’t take a pay cut. He already did once!! I know I wouldn’t take a pay cut at my job. None of us would accept a pay cut. 

I respectfully disagree , 

I wouldn’t take a pay cut because in the field that I’m in , I can make the same maybe even more going to work for another company , in Tyrods case I really doubt someone will offer him the same $ he’s making here , because I can’t see any other team looking at Tyrod for anything more then a good backup QB , 

16 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I will be amazed if he is starting somewhere next year.  Stranger things have happened but I think a lot of us forget the Bills granted this guy permission to find another starting gig last year and not one team bit.   Hence the reason he took the pay cut in the first place. 

I 100% agree.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Putin said:

I respectfully disagree , 

I wouldn’t take a pay cut because in the field that I’m in , I can make the same maybe even more going to work for another company , in Tyrods case I really doubt someone will offer him the same $ he’s making here , because I can’t see any other team looking at Tyrod for anything more then a good backup QB , 

I think that he gets 2 years and $20M guaranteed. Bradford is coming off of a 2 year $36M deal with $22M guaranteed. Mike Glennon got 3 years, $45M with $18.5M guaranteed. That’s the type of deal that he’s looking at. Alex Smith was guaranteed $71M this week!! We need to understand the market. That’s why you don’t take a pay cut. QBs get paid.

Tyrod has been on an extremely team friendly deal. It has been considered one of the best values in football. He may not get $18M a year but he can get a good chunk of money guaranteed. That’s why he won’t take a pay cut. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

That is the only team i can think of as well. But eventually would want to move on as wel because wont be able to keep that defense together 

Yeah actually could be very close. If the option isnt picked up. I could see him not getting signed until after the draft and at that point yes money drops big time 

Well, let's agree to disagree.  I think it could happen, but my guess is someone without a QB is going to give him more, as a bridge or with hope in their heart.

Why should he take a pay cut with the amount average QB's around the league are pulling in now? He is now a playoff caliber QB and absolutely deserves the contract he is currently on if he stays with Buffalo.

Edited by Herc11