Buffalo could have 2nd Shot at Cousins

It was 2012 and it was almost all so perfect.

The Bills hasd ust finished the 2011 season by blowing a 5-2 start to finish 6-10 and 4th in the AFC East and produced the undeniable fact that that there was no franchise QB in Buffalo.

Buddy Nix and the Bills top brass were generally excited with Cousins. J. buscsglia from WGR was reporting the team was very interested in Cousins in the mid rounds.  Fitzpatrick made the perfect bridge QB to give Cousins the 2012 season to sit and learn. The 4th round came.  The bills were ready, the fans were ready to welcome Kirk.

and then Mike Shanahan got stupid smart and drafted his 2nd Quarterback in 4 rounds.

as it turned out 2012 would be Fitzs final season and instead of turning to Cousins buffalo dove into the bottom of the barrel for EJ and Kolb and have been fishing with Minos ever since.

now as fate would have it Buffalo gets another shot at Cousins.  Not too often you have the opportunity to fix a past mistake or for fortune to knock twice.  Regardless...the football gods are smiling on Buffalo with this opportunity and all signs are screaming for Buffalo to bring Kirk back to where he was always meant to be.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 2

I remember watching that draft and really hoping the Bills would draft Cousins..I never ever in a million years saw it coming when Washington drafted him especially after the Skins traded so much to take RG3.Would be ecstatic if the Bills found a way to land Cousins...Maybe just show him the video feed of the Bills locker room down in Florida when they made the playoffs or let him sit with Beane and Mcdermott for a half hour and I bet he ends up a Buffalo Bill

4 hours ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

I remember watching that draft and really hoping the Bills would draft Cousins..I never ever in a million years saw it coming when Washington drafted him especially after the Skins traded so much to take RG3.Would be ecstatic if the Bills found a way to land Cousins...Maybe just show him the video feed of the Bills locker room down in Florida when they made the playoffs or let him sit with Beane and Mcdermott for a half hour and I bet he ends up a Buffalo Bill

Beane, McDermott, Daboll and Kim Pegula would be a great recruiting team, imo.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 hours ago, MJS said:

Sounds like hind sight.

Sounds like we had a GM who didn't know what he was doing.  Yes every team passed on him and Russell Wilson but not every team was in need of a QB and not a single team needed one more than us.  But let's draft niche receivers who can't catch the ball unless there is nobody within 20 yards of them.  I can't stand when people defend poor drafting with the hindsight excuse or "everybody passed no him."  Nix was a terrible GM, he knew we needed a QB worse than any team in the league, and did nothing about it until he was no his way out the door when he had to.  The worst part is he waited for a terrible QB draft and announced to the world they would be taking one.  Just a simply terrible GM.  Also CJ Spiller says thank you for drafting me at #9 with Fred Jackson and Beast Mode on the roster.  Was that hindsight?

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Dont want a 2nd show, 3rd shot, 10th shot or any shot.

You dont pay non-franchise players franchise money. He isn't going to overcome the inherent roster limitations you will be forcing on yourself by his contract long term, and he has done nothing in Washington to inspire confidence that he can win games with a limited roster like franchise QBs must do.

Cousins is fools gold and any team signing him to a franchise level contract will regret it long term

Cousins is worth it, although Smith would have bee more economical and a nice bridge while we draft a QB this year.  I still say we  make an offer to Redskins for Cousins, then take the best QB available at our proper first round picks.

then we actually can fill up our roster with at least 9other. Picks as we’ll have to give one to the Redskinsfor Cousins.  With dropping Glenn, Dareus already, and Tyrod we’ll have the money for Cousins.  He should want to come to a team with a top flight defense, and 6th in rushing after#1 the last two years.  We can pick up a fast WR balancing Benjamin, Clay, and with a healed Jones should. Make for a nice offense.  We also have Groy and Dawkins to replace Glenn and Wood.

i hate losing Wood, but it’s. About his health and he’s a good person.  We won’t lose anything with these two, and can focus on more talent in the draft.  This could be a big year for the Bills if this comes through.

21 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

There have been 4 QB's that I thought for sure the Bills were going to draft.

1. Russel Wilson

2. Kirk Cousins

3. AJ McCarron

4. Derek Carr

Whaley absolutely sucked at evaluating QB's. 

Whaley wasn't running the draft at that time. Little rumor I heard was Whaley pushed hard for Wilson also. 

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Dont want a 2nd show, 3rd shot, 10th shot or any shot.

You dont pay non-franchise players franchise money. He isn't going to overcome the inherent roster limitations you will be forcing on yourself by his contract long term, and he has done nothing in Washington to inspire confidence that he can win games with a limited roster like franchise QBs must do.

Cousins is fools gold and any team signing him to a franchise level contract will regret it long term

I think I'm in this camp.  

Question for anyone who knows the Bills salary cap situation well...

How tight would the cap number be if they were to lock up cousins to a long term contract?

Just thinking they have a lot of dead money next year with Wood retiring, and would of course release Tyrod resulting in more dead money 

9 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Sounds like we had a GM who didn't know what he was doing.  Yes every team passed on him and Russell Wilson but not every team was in need of a QB and not a single team needed one more than us.  But let's draft niche receivers who can't catch the ball unless there is nobody within 20 yards of them.  I can't stand when people defend poor drafting with the hindsight excuse or "everybody passed no him."  Nix was a terrible GM, he knew we needed a QB worse than any team in the league, and did nothing about it until he was no his way out the door when he had to.  The worst part is he waited for a terrible QB draft and announced to the world they would be taking one.  Just a simply terrible GM.  Also CJ Spiller says thank you for drafting me at #9 with Fred Jackson and Beast Mode on the roster.  Was that hindsight?

Sorry. Those are great excuses. It is hind sight and every other team passed on him. It's a fact. Nobody thought he would be a top 10 QB.

Not to say I think Nix was a good GM. Far from it. The lack of success and talent for this team under him proves he was not good, along with Whaley. And neither of them were able to get a good QB.