Favorite Guitar Solo

RaoulDuke79

On 1/25/2018 at 3:19 PM, Reed83HOF said:

No Eruption or Stairway or Sultans of Swing or Crazy Train? Brian May or SRV? 

That being said Comfortably Numb and Gilmour are by far my favorite

I was scanning through this to see who was the first to mention Knopfler. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

All-time favorite.  

Love that song but I have to admit that I never listened to it in the context of a guitar solo, just a great song to me even though the solo was there all along. 

On one hand I think that's the mark of a great solo, it just blends into the song perfectly. But I would expect it to be played note for note anytime I hear it. Kind of like the Comfortably Numb solo...which is an al-ltime great

On the other hand, I love guitarists that improvise live. Far more impressive to me but can be hit and miss. 

The original question also involved drum solos.  Wynton Marsalis has a cat that plays with him named Ali Jackson.  He plays really cool drum solos.  Not over flashy and chopped out, but rythmic and fun to listen to.  He uses kindof theme and variation style building in intensity as he proceeds.  This is my favorite.  The solo starts at 3:30

Another example here starts around 6:37.  It's followed buy a pretty decent solo by Eric Clapton.

On 1/26/2018 at 1:42 PM, Doc said:

Greatest guitar soloist?  Ralph Macchio:

:)

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the Karate Kid.

Steve Vai was incredible playing it.

Eddie Hazel - Maggot Brain

http://<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KXq4GlHgROQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-Play it like your mama just died.

Edited by CookieG

This is fantastic all around, but there's some really nice moments of Dave Navarro and Flea jusr doing their thing . Perry Ferrell is on a different planet. A true one of a kind.

Just fast forward through the first 5 minutes when people are just milling around.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

11 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This is fantastic all around, but there's some really nice moments of Dave Navarro and Flea jusr doing their thing . Perry Ferrell is on a different planet. A true one of a kind.

Just fast forward through the first 5 minutes when people are just milling around.

I saw them on this tour.  I believe it was a week earlier than this show - at Brandeis University.

Phenomenal.

4 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

They are on my bucket list for sure.

This http://www.brooklynvegan.com/janes-addiction-8/ was the last time I saw them (I've seen them 7 times).  I can't believe it's going on 7 years ago.  They still put on a great show and Perry could belt it out when he wanted to.

You should definitely see them - as a headliner, if possible, so they play more than just the staples.  They are incredible entertainers and the first time I saw them (the Brandeis show) still ranks in my top 5 concert experiences of all time.

27 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

One of the top 5 best guitarists ever

meant to post this in this thread, not the other.  oops.

Glen Campbell was, indeed, a phenomenal guitarist.  Good call, Boystie.

I'll second Tom Morello.  Really innovative with some of his sounds and Rage has long been a favorite of mine.

For guitars though Joe Bonamassa is my absolute favorite.  He is just phenomenal.  His work with Beth Hart is some of the best blues I have ever heard.  So much good work and they released a new album that got me listening again.  Anyway here is just one of my favorites.

Most of the responses have been for electric guitar solos, here's a little love for one of the greatest pickers off all-time blowing the lid off of an acoustic guitar.

And here he is showing off his chops on the electric guitar. (The Benny Hill faces and dancing cartoon pigs are an added bonus).

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 3

Well if we are going acoustic... It might be cheating to use Clapton here but I have always loved this song and the way it is performed.  Clapton does an excellent solo on his guitar followed by a piano solo that I always felt "answered" the guitar solo.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2018 at 10:57 PM, Rico said:

Definitive version of Love In Vain from MSG 72. Mick Taylor from 4:43 to end always warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes.

Same show, definitive version of Bye Bye Johnny. Taylor is doing great things during the 1st and 3rd verses, but Keith is just tremendous throughout, especially his solo from 2:08 to 2:47.  The greatest rock and roll band in the world, at the height of their power.

• 1 month later...

A few that I don't believe have been noted:

10 Years After--I'd Love to Change the World

Blue Oyster Cult--Astronomy

Derek and the Dominoes--Layla (Clapton and Allman (not sure if exactly a solo, but the slide guitar work is great)

Michael Schenker Group--Into the Arena

Funeral for a Friend--Elton John (solo at the end)

• Like (+1) 1