Super Bowl XXXIX Rematch: Do the Eagles Stand a Chance?

Doe the Eagles Have a Shot in Two Weeks?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Doe the Eagles Have a Shot in Two Weeks?

• Done Deal! Patriots Win Again
    • The Eagles are Good and Have a Shot

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/04/2018 at 11:30 PM

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hey. It's back to their original city when the AFL began. 

I know it's off topic, but I'll bite... as is well reported, the Chargers have next to no fanbase in LA.  When I went to the game, the stadium was majority Bills fans.  Watching Peterman throw 5 interceptions in a visiting stadium, I expected to get heckled, or at least laughed at.  I got nothing.  No passion at all there.

I originally agreed with you that the move wouldn't be so bad; they're moving back to their original city, but it was so poorly executed.  Nearly every other franchise move was hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away from their originating city.  The Chargers kept their name, logo, uniforms, and only moved 100 miles away.  The AFL could pull that off in 1961 after one season, but the NFL can't pull such a close relocation off after 50+ years in the same city.  It feels like the team had a fire or some natural disaster in San Diego and played out the season at a community college field as a contingency plan.

I think the NFL would have been better off had the Chargers moved to Vegas, with the Raiders moving back to LA.  The Raiders have a fanbase in LA and are enough of a draw themselves that LA could do a better job supporting them than the Chargers.

• Like (+1) 3

This Patriots team isn't as good as last year's. Of their SB teams, this one has the most holes, especially on defense. Blake Bortles had the game of his life against the Patriots today. The Patriots are in the Super Bowl because the AFC had to send somebody. 

The Eagles can and should win. 

8 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

The Eagles pass rush is the biggest factor on D and Foles is still a huge ? on the offense. Foles played the best game of his career tonight. Can he ever hope to repeat that? Can the Eagles stay calm in the game? The Patriots NEVER get rattled, they never get nervous and that seems to trump so many things when they come up against a solid D.  They have so much big game experience now they just wait for the opposition to choke. If the Eagles can get to Brady and rough him up early and Foles can keep the magic going, its going to be a hell of a game. 

I got news for you. Foles has played better games than yesterday. Not more important, but better. He can sling it. He holds the NFL record for most TDs in a game. 

He can also throw INTs. That will be his undoing if he has a bad game. But don’t expect 8-22 170 yards from him. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

Foles may have peaked versus Vikes. 

Pats* had 1 penalty versus Jags.   You know they will not get a holding, hands to face, or pass interference call on them. 

Brady is the key.  Can the Eagles put continuous pressure on him?

i hate to say it and I hope I’m wrong:

Pats* - 31

Eagles - 17

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Last time NE faced a Schwartz D in a game that mattered:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201410120buf.htm

The talent levels on the 2017 Eagles D and the 2014 Bills D are basically the same. 

Worth noting: the Bills held the Pats to 50 rushing yards on 27 carries. 

the eagles have a much better run game than our team did that year...much better.  Eagles wr's are a little more seasoned than ours that year. 

4 hours ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

Lets save you all some time.  Eagles will lead at halftime, but through some "Brilliant Halftime Adjustments",  the pats will work their way back.  Then at the very end Brady will march through the Eagles prevent defense to take the lead and the win.

Pretty much.  Different movie, SAME PLOT. All of the RPO stuff you saw working for the Eagles yesterday it's not going to work in the SB.  I'd like nothing more than the Eagles to drop 50 on the Pats.  But it's not going to happen.

5 hours ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

Lets save you all some time.  Eagles will lead at halftime, but through some "Brilliant Halftime Adjustments",  the pats will work their way back.  Then at the very end Brady will march through the Eagles prevent defense to take the lead and the win.

You forgot to mention the phantom pass interference call to set the pats for an easy score.

The Patriots will come out on fire, I think the Patriots will get a lead and Foles is going to press and have a horrid game. I see a big time blowout here, the Patriots vs America, everyone hates seeing this team. They are going to have at least two coordinators leaving and I'm not sure they will make it here again. My guy is telling me to bet the over with the Patriots absolutely destroying the Eagles. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

No chance against Brady. The Ravens early 2000 defense would get carved up..

I feel like all the rules that have been made to make it easy to score dictate what you need to do to win. We NEED a QB, We NEED better protection, We NEED more offensive play makers. I think McD is a perfect coach for this team because I think he and Frazier can find cheap FA to field a solid defense. 70% of our cap needs to go towards, QB, WR, TE, O-Line. 

so the Pats have 5 times feasted on the other team blinking first

not to say that isn't an amazing accomplishment

16 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I feel like all the rules that have been made to make it easy to score dictate what you need to do to win. We NEED a QB, We NEED better protection, We NEED more offensive play makers. I think McD is a perfect coach for this team because I think he and Frazier can find cheap FA to field a solid defense. 70% of our cap needs to go towards, QB, WR, TE, O-Line. 

McD gets a thumbs up for a first year, it may still fall a bit as they try to build a serious contender next year.

Upon looking at the two teams, they are actually very similar...

Eagles losses this season:

Chiefs 27-20 back when the Chiefs were red-hot

Seahawks 24-10 in Seattle

Cowboys 6-0 in the final game of the season that meant nothing

Eagles scored 30+ points 9 times

Eagles scored 40+ points 2 times

Eagles lost by more than 1 score only once

Patriots losses this season:

Chiefs 42-27 in week one

Carolina 33-30

Miami 27-20

Patriots scored 30+ points 8 times

Patriots scored 40+ 1 time

Patriots lost by more than 1 score only once

Both were 13-3.

They are very similar in terms of team ranking as well:

Defense (points per game)

Eagles 18.4 (4th) Patriots 18.5 (5th)

Defense (yards per game)

Eagles 306.5 (4th) Patriots 366 (29th)

Defense (yards per play)

Eagles 5.0 (9th) Patriots 5.7 (31st)

Offense (points per game)

Eagles 28.6 Patriots 28.6 (tie)

Offense (yards per game)

Eagles 365.8 (7th) Patriots 394 (1st)

The takeaway here is that the Eagles are a very good, balanced team that is going to be competitive in the Super Bowl. Also, the key to beating New England is keeping that defense out there for a lot of plays, as they are not great at either yards per game or yards per play. It's just that most teams get pass happy against them and end up having short drives.

I also think that the Eagles have the emotional edge. Players LOVE being the underdogs and it just feels like the Eagles are a very close knit bunch with great coaching.

It's going to be a game.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Their pass rush gives them a chance. Patriots d not too scary and if Eagles harass Brady and win turnovers.....they got a shot.

public opinion is against blitzing brady, but they are going to have to commit 2 if not 3 on fletcher cox so if it were me i would really get after brady from different spots. ....and they can move cox all around the line at any time. brady will have to throw over 40 times for sure.

Edited by billsredneck1

I'll admit, the Patriots deserve to be favorites here. You have a second year head coach leading a backup QB against a veteran Patriots squad. Brady is starting to show signs of slowing down, but he is still a top 5 QB. On paper, the Pats are absolutely the better team.

For me, the X-factor is (as 26CB pointed out), is the Eagles D-line. It is legit, and Cox can deliver great interior pressure when he is hitting all cylinders. They try to get plenty of pressure with just 4 and play tight man coverage. It's the best defense for going against Brady. If they bring it, they have a chance.

26 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Foles played a one gamer yesterday. He will never play a game like that again, especially two in a row and especially against the Patriots. NEW ENGLAND WON THE SUPERBOWL ALREADY. Don't waste your time watching another Patriot Superbowl.

VIkings turnovers were lethal to the cause.