Thoughts on Calvin Ridley in the 1st?

I just saw Daniel Jeremiah mocked him to the Panthers right after our picks in the first.

I'm pretty convinced we're going to trade up in the 1st for a QB, but then I thought about how terrible our WRs were last year, realized after reading about Dabol's new system that the real difficulty is actually largely the skill position players rather than the QB adapting to the system, and then saw this mock (without really ever having watched him) knowing that he just played in Dabol's system last year and that the transition might be relatively seamless for him.

Of course at this point not a chance we get Darnold or Rosen or probably Allen so how about Mayfield or Rudolph in the 1st with our 1st pick and Ridley with our 2nd?

Hell, that might even be with a trade up to get the QB by giving up one of our 2nds and maybe a 5th, but what do you guys think of Ridley?

Julio Jones is a rare specimen, Ridley was said to have ran a 4.59 at his college 40 yard dash which is still pretty decent for a guy 6'3" 224 lbs imo http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/03/calvin_ridley_40_time_among_no.html

I think Ridley is more comparable to Larry Fitzgerald then Julio Jones, Jones had ridiculous blazing speed where Ridley has great hands and can run out the routes with ease.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Julio Jones is a rare specimen, Ridley was said to have ran a 4.59 at his college 40 yard dash which is still pretty decent for a guy 6'3" 224 lbs imo http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/03/calvin_ridley_40_time_among_no.html

I think Ridley is more comparable to Larry Fitzgerald then Julio Jones, Jones had ridiculous blazing speed where Ridley has great hands and can run out the routes with ease.

:huh: Those numbers are not for Ridley. Six-foot-3, 224-pound redshirt junior Cooper Bateman, athletic enough that Alabama briefly moved him to wide receiver last spring, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds. 

• Haha (+1) 1

He is a "yeah whatever" player for me. He is being over-hyped because the draft is really thin at the top of WR. He looks a good WR2 in the NFL for me, which is fine, but I dont think you need to draft those in round 1. There is a lot of WR depth, but its WR2 depth on day 2, where you have plenty of decent options.

If we look at WR, I'd be tempted to look at someone like Dante Pettis or Christian Kirk, who could come and start day 1 as a returner, and mix into the WRs. You could get him in day 2, and actually has a clear role on the team. If you arent getting a top WR, I want to see that add some more value to the team.

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m sorry but I’m having a hard time letting “realized after reading about Dabol's new system that the real difficulty is actually largely the skill position players rather than the QB adapting to the system” go unchecked.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

No lol, both were the issue. 

No one except for McCoy and incognito should get a pass on that pitiful offence

Benjamin and Mathews were both proven WRs in the league before they came to Buffalo. Both were injured for parts of the season but when they played they were pretty much invisible to Tyrod. Can we use an upgrade at WR? Absolutely. But we also need someone who can get the ball to them...

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Ridley can take over games but Alabama ran alot from what I gathered, I think Benjamin right now is our #1 and I really hope Matthews comes back here, the guy has really good career numbers and would be a solid WR 2 for us but the price tag might not be a fit. 

Matthews stinks. He won’t be back. He was available because he was #4 on Philly’s depth chart. He wouldn’t be a solid 2 here. Let him go and don’t think twice.

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Give me Christian Kirk instead my man is a flat out baller . Lines up everywhere , excellent after the catch , great hands, excellent return skills. Reminds me of OBJ how there both twitchy and explosive. 

I like Kirk for this team too. We need explosiveness. 

6 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m still convinced that our WRs were terrible because of the play of our QB....

Really? You watched that group and were good with their performance? They were voted the 8th worst position group in the entire NFL on one site (don’t remember which but it is on here somewhere). They don’t separate, they don’t run after the catch, they drop the ball and they don’t scare anyone down the field. The Bills WRs are bad. They need a #1/2 (depending on what people think of Benjamin) and another guy that they can count on AND to bring back Thompson. 

I think that that they should bring in Paul Richardson and draft Anthony Miller or Christian Kirk in the 2nd.

Benjamin

Richardson

Miller/Kirk

Zay

Thompson

Reilly

That group is much better IMO. They can actually make plays.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Matthews stinks. He won’t be back. He was available because he was #4 on Philly’s depth chart. He wouldn’t be a solid 2 here. Let him go and don’t think twice.

250 catches for 2955 yards and 20 TDs in his first 3 seasons says he doesn’t suck.  No need to repeat that he was “4th on the Eagles depth chart”, you made your point - I disagree.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

250 catches for 2955 yards and 20 TDs in his first 3 seasons says he doesn’t suck.  No need to repeat that he was “4th on the Eagles depth chart”, you made your point - I disagree.

He sucks, we disagree.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He doesn’t suck but he’s not a guy you pair with KB as your 1-2 punch. If we end up paying $20m a year for that duo I’d be seriously disappointed 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

He doesn’t suck but he’s not a guy you pair with KB as your 1-2 punch. If we end up paying $20m a year for that duo I’d be seriously disappointed 

I can agree with that. 

I wasn’t arguing that the Bills need to keep him, but he is a good productive starting NFL WR, at least in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Outside of here, SF and maybe the Jets would he be a number 2 on any team? That goes without saying, they can just draft guys for that role. By opening day 2018 will he be considered a number 2 by any team? I don’t see it as a possibility.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Outside of here, SF and maybe the Jets would he be a number 2 on any team? That goes without saying, they can just draft guys for that role. By opening day 2018 will he be considered a number 2 by any team? I don’t see it as a possibility.

His numbers double when not paired with Taylor.     He’s a better wideout than Taylor is a qb.   

2 minutes ago, KGun12TD said:

Until we get a real QB we will never know how good our WRs can be!

Really? We can see their ability to separate, run after the catch, beat press coverage, etc? You think that the coaches, that know the plays, can’t look back at the game film and evaluate the WRs? 

This is a common theme on here and it is absurd. Obviously the Bills need better QB play but they need better WR play too. Fortunately, they realize that. They went out and got Benjamin and Thompson during the year. They pushed Zay down the depth chart. They know that the group is bad and it will be addressed.

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wasn't that similar to Julio Jones when he was at Alabama?

Will Ridley just fall because Hurts was throwing to him or is it just not remotely similar to Julio?

Julio is a 6'3, 225 pound beast.

Ridley is a decent receiver, but he's not the physical nightmare that Jones is. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

His numbers double when not paired with Taylor.     He’s a better wideout than Taylor is a qb.   

I would say that Taylor is more likely to be one of the 32 starting QBs on opening day than Mathews is to be one of the 64 starting WRs. I don’t think that means either is the answer.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think he’s the type that’s a pretty good 3, not a great 2... if you pair him with an elite game breaker at 1, it’s probably a fine setup (minus the finances of it moving forward). If you put him with Benjamin, you are inviting the safeties to have a field day beating up your offense 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Really? You wat he’s that group and we’re good with their performance? They were voted the 8th worst position group in the entire NFL on one site (don’t remember which but it is on here somewhere). They don’t separate, they don’t run after the catch, they drop the ball and they don’t scare anyone down the field. The Bills WR are bad. They need a #1/2 (depending on what people think of Benjamin) and another guy that they can count on AND to bring back Thompson. 

I think that that they should bring in Paul Richardson and draft Anthony Miller or Christian Kirk in the 2nd.

Benjamin

Richardson

Miller/Kirk

Zay

Thompson

Reilly

That group is much better IMO. They can actually make plays.

I actually believe the reason for lack of YAC is what Donald Jones said....Taylor doesn’t hit moving targets very well which is why Roman and Lynn called a bunch of comeback routes while here.  

I think we probably add one WR with speed like a Richardson and they go with everyone they already have.  I think they like Streater as well.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think he’s the type that’s a pretty good 3, not a great 2... if you pair him with an elite game breaker at 1, it’s probably a fine setup (minus the finances of it moving forward). If you put him with Benjamin, you are inviting the safeties to have a field day beating up your offense 

I agree there. He can be a possession guy and be a big slot guy somewhere. He will get $6M or so for that role. I see him getting a contract between what Goodwin and Woods got last year. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree there. He can be a possession guy and be a big slot guy somewhere. He will get $6M or so for that role. I see him getting a contract between what Goodwin and Woods got last year. 

We will see- I think he ends up closer to where woods is potentially. Receiver pay is moving up pretty quick lately.

This is the type of player I think you can cycle through with good day 2 drafting though. I don’t pay those relatively interchangeable possession receivers hugely unless you think you are gearing up for a super bowl run and the guys a perfect fit in your depth chart and ideally it’s not a 5+ year deal for that type of guy (unless planned for 3 and just using the extra for cap flex)

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually believe the reason for lack of YAC is what Donald Jones said....Taylor doesn’t hit moving targets very well which is why Roman and Lynn called a bunch of comeback routes while here.  

I think we probably add one WR with speed like a Richardson and they go with everyone they already have.  I think they like Streater as well.

I forgot about Streater. Maybe they let Thompson walk then?

I don’t think that they can be very confident in Zay at this point injury or not. In addition, his college WR coach probably won’t be back. He will still be on the roster but without the advocates that he had previously.

Richardson makes total sense. I’d still add one more (assuming that we don’t trade up and have those picks). The group needs an overhaul like the secondary did last year. Benjamin fills one of the top 2 spots, Richardson the other with Miller/Kirk in the slot. Zay, Streater and Reilly as the depth. That group is so far ahead imo. 

These playoffs have been filled with explosive plays by WRs. I even think back to the Pats/Steelers game and the play Ju-Ju made. I thought couldn’t anyone on our roster turn that ball upfield and give his team a chance? I didn’t see it. The way that Bryant tracked that ball before halftime was another one. That’s without mentioning Antonio Brown (the single best player in football).

You need guys that can make plays and I don’t see that outside of Benjamin on contested balls. We don’t have guys that win in any other manner. Thompson did alright down the field but he’s a free agent. The Bills desperately need playmaking IMO. It will help the running game as well.

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

We will see- I think he ends up closer to where woods is potentially. Receiver pay is moving up pretty quick lately.

This is the type of player I think you can cycle through with good day 2 drafting though. I don’t pay those relatively interchangeable possession receivers hugely unless you think you are gearing up for a super bowl run and the guys a perfect fit in your depth chart and ideally it’s not a 5+ year deal for that type of guy (unless planned for 3 and just using the extra for cap flex)

I thought that Goodwin got $4.5M but that was his guaranteed amount. Yeah, Matthews will be closer to Woods.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Give me Christian Kirk instead my man is a flat out baller . Lines up everywhere , excellent after the catch , great hands, excellent return skills. Reminds me of OBJ how there both twitchy and explosive. 

I really like Kirk too. Great return man as well.