What does Buffalo need to improve

Ice bowl 67

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Pretty much everything. There are huge holes on both sides of the ball at every level. The more poignant question is which positions will the Bills be forced to IGNORE in the offseason. They can fix everything.

Every team has holes. 

LB, DT, and QB are where we need upgrades. We have other team needs, but these are the major ones. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Every team has holes. 

LB, DT, and QB are where we need upgrades. We have other team needs, but these are the major ones. 

I'd add RG and RT to that list of major need for upgrades.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Every team has holes. 

Did I say anything about other teams? But now that you mentioned it....The 2018 Bills unfortunately have medium sized holes at many positions.  Whereas other teams have huge holes at one or two spots. The good thing for the Bills is that they Cap Space and Draft picks to help them plug them.

56 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

In order to become a Super Bowl caliber team next year? Which areas of the team defensively and on offense?

Super bowl? In order to even get there you have to be dominant on one side of the ball. Our D at least has a good secondary, so to get there we would likely need to improve that first cause the offense is awful. On D we need:

• LB with speed. I'm not a huge Preston fan, but if he leaves we will need 2 of these. I think one of the LBs has to be a vet, it's too hard to succeed with zero experienced LBs. I would love to have Bradham back. 
  • Pass-Rushing DE
  • Penetrating DT (draft)
  • Run stuffing DT (I like Star Lotulelei for this)

On offense we would need a LOT:

• QB - we will never get anywhere without a good QB, we either need to pay out the nose for Cousins or move up and draft one
  • Playmaking WR with speed
  • RG
  • RT
  • Promising young RB - we cannot be one injury away from having no running game

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Super bowl? In order to even get there you have to be dominant on one side of the ball. Our D at least has a good secondary, so to get there we would likely need to improve that first cause the offense is awful. On D we need:

• LB with speed. I'm not a huge Preston fan, but if he leaves we will need 2 of these. I think one of the LBs has to be a vet, it's too hard to succeed with zero experienced LBs. I would love to have Bradham back. 
  • Pass-Rushing DE
  • Penetrating DT (draft)

• QB - we will never get anywhere without a good QB, we either need to pay out the nose for Cousins or move up and draft one
  • RG
  • RT

I think the RT is already on the roster if Glenn can return to health......

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I think the RT is already on the roster if Glenn can return to health......

I'm not pounding on this drum, but I sincerely believe he won't be on this team next year. They can still get something for him and I suspect availability is high on the list of things Bean looks for. Trading him would get us something decent in return and would help us with cap space. 

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Did I say anything about other teams? But now that you mentioned it....The 2018 Bills unfortunately have medium sized holes at many positions.  Whereas other teams have huge holes at one or two spots. The good thing for the Bills is that they Cap Space and Draft picks to help them plug them.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

A good an first and foremost.

after that, we need 2 new DTs, a pass rushing DE.MLB, SLB, Nickelback, resign Gaines or his replacement.  Right guard, and  maybe another gyard center or tackle, 1-2 WRs (maybe deonte Thompson being one. Tough playoff game for him though).  Another tight end and a backup rb.  A new OC and OL coach. Depth all around the board. 

Thats what we need. Tall order for one offseason.  How much of that do we need to become a contender?  Might need all of it.  It’s the biggest offseason this franchise has had since the 80s

59 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Every team has holes. 

We badly need OL help. The right side of our Oline takes half the field away from us on running plays and collapses the pocket for us on passing plays. Counterintuitive to grab a franchise QB and then get him killed behind Ducasse and Mills. 

1. Defensive Line (we need a freakin' pass rush)
  2. Offensive Line
  3. One Two Punch backup RB.  Somebody good.  Not just a backup jag.   We need to spell Shady more AND still be able to run the ball better than just effectively when he's out. Somebody like Lagarette Blount or Carlos Hyde
  4. At least 2 good WRs.  Whether a guy catches the football has nothing to do with who threw it. HUGE HOLE at the moment
  5. Better Line Backers
  6. QB - Keep Hotrod, sign or trade for a vet, draft someone.  Battle it out in camp.  Nasty Nate can be a camp arm

16 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

We badly need OL help. The right side of our Oline takes half the field away from us on running plays and collapses the pocket for us on passing plays. Counterintuitive to grab a franchise QB and then get him killed behind Ducasse and Mills. 

Need better OL coaching. OL can be upgraded with having a healthy Glenn.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

QB DL OL LB WR

I tried to put it in most needed to least needed but those 5 position are the most dire to find a new improved starter and depth if we want to head back to the promiseland

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You think these two guys are going to turn into solid players with a different coach? Neither has ever been good. 

John Miller or Groy should have been starting at RG, Ducasse is our OL coaches guy. Dawkins and Glenn hopefully are our OT's. This should be a top OL when healthy.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Gotta get a QB.

I think the OL is reasonably good. 

I think the D-Line is weak.

I think Linebacker is the easiest position to get reasonably good players, so I want them to bring in a couple guys, but there are other positions that are way more difficult to raise the level of play at.

I'd like to see a decent RB prospect brought in, there always seems to be good value in the 3rd or 4th round.

The Secondary is good. 

The WR's? I think they will find another guy that will bring them up a notch, and I think they will be decent.

I expect them to move up in the first round at some point (maybe even just a handful of picks up, using a second round pick or something like that) to get a QB.

I expect them to select a QB, and D-Lineman with their first 2 picks. After that, I assume it will be BPA.

Edited by OJABBA

1 hour ago, blargo said:

1. OC

2. Speed WR

3. Run Stopping DT

4. Edge Pass Rusher

5. QB

6. LB Depth

7. RG, RT

Here's the thing... we've had ALL those other things you've mentioned besides #5 over the last 18 years, and look where that's gotten us. At times, we've had nearly all of it except #5.

Maybe it's time we put #5 at #1 and go a different route for once.

Edited by BigDingus

CAN you win a SB without a franchise QB anymore? Maybe. But, the rest of your team better be phenomenal. Our Defense needs 5 major pieces and I doubt we can get playmakers at LB AND DT AND DE in order to get to that step. The fastest way to improve your team is with a franchise QB and then you least have a SHOT to win games for 10-12 years. QB is priority 1-10 for this team.  

4 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

In order to become a Super Bowl caliber team next year? Which areas of the team defensively and on offense?

...QB, OL/DL, DL/OL, and a backup RB for starters....BTW Ice, what are your thoughts about the Thompson ouster and McCarthy still as HC?..................

3 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

• Pass-Rushing DE
  • Penetrating DT (draft)

• RG
  • RT

I like your thoughts!

To piggyback on your thoughts.....

1. QB

2. Defense - LB & DT then CB

--> LB & DT can make the biggest impact on our system and all the players at other positions.  Our DEs will do better with DTs that can impact the play

--> We need 3 CBs in our system MINIMUM.  2 good starters and one in case of injury.  You always need CBs.  So, resign Gaines and still need one more.  Can probably find a strong system fit for the #3 in a lot of places and on a reasonable deal

3. Offense - see #1, then OL

--> I am hopeful we keep Cordy.  Play Cordy or Dawkins at RT or even G.  So, we only need one OL starter

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

John Miller or Groy should have been starting at RG, Ducasse is our OL coaches guy. Dawkins and Glenn hopefully are our OT's. This should be a top OL when healthy.

Glenn likely won't be here.

This group has never been a top offensive line in pass protection and you are going to notice it a lot if and when the Bills get a true pocket passer.    He will be sacked in that pocket with regularity and (probably) throw a lot of ill advised passes as a result.

They need upgrades in pass protection badly for their new QB whoever that might be.   Unless they are going to get another run-for-your--life guy which nobody wants of course.

Edited by PolishDave

5 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Top tier QB, run stuffing DT, edge rushing DE, MLB that can thump, a smash it down your throat RB and a WR that can burn to take the top off.

5 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

On offense:

QB is the biggy - either rookie and a serviceable vet backup, or a FA.  My pref. is Cousins, but I don't know if we have the cap space to get in a bidding war.

WR needs an upgrade - minimum of one, possibly two if Zay Jones can't get over the dropsies

RG

RT

backup RB (Murphy might be it)

On defense:

the D played out of their minds in Jax.  They are not that good, especially against the run.

DT (2) - Kyle Williams may retire and we traded Dareus

ILB

secondary had a huge amount of turnover this offseason and is looking rather decent

If we bring in a capable to good pocket-passing vet Dennison may serve

I'm scared of our current offensive assistants as people to develop a rookie to play ASAP

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

Glenn likely won't be here.

This group has never been a top offensive line in pass protection and you are going to notice it a lot if and when the Bills get a true pocket passer.    He will be sacked in that pocket with regularity and (probably) throw a lot of ill advised passes as a result.

I thought Glenn was really good in pass protection with Chan Gailey.  It was Chan’s last year and Glenn’s first.

Glenn was really good in pass protection as a rookie LT.