If the Bills part ways with Rick Dennison

TigerJ

I'm not advocating it, but if they do, Buffalo Rumblings has an interesting article on potential candidates:

They are:

Mike Shula - just fired from the position at Carolina

Ken Dorsey - just fired QB coach at Carolina - no OC experience

Rob Chudzinski - In limbo at Indianapolis as OC with head coach, Chuck Pagano, having been fired.

Frank Reich - OC at Philly and legendary Bills backup during the Super Bowl era.

John DiFillipo - QB coach at Philly, but has OC experience

Mike McCoy - fired from Broncos OC job, but well respected and thought to have been McDermott's first choice last year

Jim Caldwell - fired from long tenure as Detroit's head coach- has offensive background.  Jim Bob Cooter, his OC in Detroit could also be considered

Matt Canada - no pro experience, but one of the most innovative offensive minds in college football.  He just left LSU because he wasn't permitted to run the offense his way LSU.  He was Nate Peterman's coach at Pittsburgh

Not sure about hiring somebody from the college ranks, but Canada's creativity makes him intriguing.

Here's the link:  https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/1/10/16871990/potential-offensive-coordinators-if-the-buffalo-bills-fire-rick-dennison-mike-shula-rob-chudzinski

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

the more and more i think about it, they should give dennison another year.  complete turnover in the WR corps, a QB not fit for the system, etc.  I think some of the playcalling was suspect indeed, but its tough with these circumstances for he to be a one and done.  I would say though, he would be on the hot seat in year two and if there isnt improvement he should know he will be sent packing.  

5 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

the more and more i think about it, they should give dennison another year.  complete turnover in the WR corps, a QB not fit for the system, etc.  I think some of the playcalling was suspect indeed, but its tough with these circumstances for he to be a one and done.  I would say though, he would be on the hot seat in year two and if there isnt improvement he should know he will be sent packing.  

The only way I think this would sit well is if they get a guy like Dorsey to be the QB coach, someone they can realistically give the reins to midseason if Rico proves he is as bad as most of us think he is.

Edited by ProcessTheTrust

48 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I'm not advocating it, but if they do, Buffalo Rumblings has an interesting article on potential candidates:

They are:

Rob Chudzinski - In limbo at Indianapolis as OC with head coach, Chuck Pagano, having been fired.

Frank Reich - OC at Philly and legendary Bills backup during the Super Bowl era.

Mike McCoy - fired from Broncos OC job, but well respected and thought to have been McDermott's first choice last year

Jim Caldwell - fired from long tenure as Detroit's head coach- has offensive background.  Jim Bob Cooter, his OC in Detroit could also be considered

Matt Canada - no pro experience, but one of the most innovative offensive minds in college football.  He just left LSU because he wasn't permitted to run the offense his way LSU.  He was Nate Peterman's coach at Pittsburgh

Not sure about hiring somebody from the college ranks, but Canada's creativity makes him intriguing.

Here's the link:  https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/1/10/16871990/potential-offensive-coordinators-if-the-buffalo-bills-fire-rick-dennison-mike-shula-rob-chudzinski

My List: 

1.  Jim Bob Cooter.  Good job in Det.  

2.  Reich or DiFillipo: good job with a young QB.  Although running game was bad.  

3.  McCoy or Canada.  McCoy is known and has good experience, Canada is innovative and had a Pitt offense churning when he was there.  

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

My List: 

2.  Reich or DiFillipo: good job with a young QB.  Although running game was bad.  

3.  McCoy or Canada.  McCoy is known and has good experience, Canada is innovative and had a Pitt offense churning when he was there.  

Canada is a nice thought as he has worked under one of the great "QB whisperers" of all time Marc Trestman and of course his ties to Peterman be intriguing. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Canada is a nice thought as he has worked under one of the great "QB whisperers" of all time Marc Trestman and of course his ties to Peterman be intriguing. 

So long as the reasoning for hiring him goes in the order listed. I don't want the primary reason for bringing in an OC being because he is good for Peterman. 

8 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Just saw on twitter (think Astro tweeted it) that Bills were in Indy yesterday, possibly to interview Schottenheimer and/or Chudzinski.

Maybe they're trying to see if Irsay is nuts enough to trade Andrew Luck.

5 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

How many games are you willing to throw away if there isn't any improvement right from the start?   Are you going to throw a whole season away on him again?

And if not, what great offensive mind is going to be available part way through the season to come in and bail your season out?

Things to think about if you really want to keep him for next year.

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

They should hire him.  He could show up to work in a tow truck towing the General Lee behind him.    Then we can change that stupid train whistle during the game to the same sound the General Lee's horn made.   Der ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner!

And bring back the cheerleaders all dressed in skimpy ass Daisy Dukes!

Oh yeah!

And we can rename the Big Tree to The Boar's Nest.

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TigerJ said:

They are:

It's an interesting list.  Some are very intriguing.  They may all be better than Dennison.  Not sure on my opinion of Dorsey or Shula.  

Regardless of what point in the season Dennison realized that his future was even remotely linked to Tyrod’s performance, you would have thought he would have changed the offense to suit his QB’s capabilities. Yes, Tyrod is VERY limited skill wise. Why would Dennison make every gamplan NOT taking that into account? Frank Reich has more common sense. I would love for him to be brought on.

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I'm not defending Dennison, but he's only able to coach/coordinate what the team gives him.

This is true but taking Taylor and turning him into a pocket passer because of the system Dennison runs is just plain stupid regardless of what you think about Taylor.

Edited by The Wiz

31 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This is true but taking Taylor and turning him into a pocket passer because of the system Dennison runs is just plain stupid regardless of what you think about Taylor.

Rule #1 in all of Sports.

Never try to mold a player into conforming to your style of play.

That was Rex's philosophical "Stupidity ". Dennison did the same thing with TT with identical results. 

17 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Rule #1 in all of Sports.

Never try to mold a player into conforming to your style of play.

That was Rex's philosophical "Stupidity ". Dennison did the same thing with TT with identical results. 

This is they thing that I don't understand.  I get coaches have a system that they want to put in place but how do they only have one system.  

I get it's a lot of work to put together a system but do these guys think they are going to always be able to fit a round peg into a square hole every time they get a job?

Our defense looks like it changes around a decent amount from game to game but still has it's base packages.  The offense is basically just the same thing no matter who they play against.  They might try to exploit certain things but it doesn't really change.

Edited by The Wiz

3 hours ago, Direhard Fan said:

First and goal at the one.  What else do we have to see in the process?  Not sorry to see you go.  Tough business makes tough decisions.  

Lesean McCoy said after the game that Dennison called a run pass option at the goal line. 

So it was up to Tyrod whether to run or pass. 

I mean, Dennison could have called a straight run play. But, IMO, it's a smart call to give your QB the ability to read the defense and choose a run or pass depending on the defensive coverage pre/post snap (especially in a goal line situation where the field is so short). 

If they let Dennison go, I'm guessing we'll hear about it tommorow. McDermott said yesterday on the John Murphy show that they were meeting with the entire coaching staff today (probably routine). Id imagine if they're gonna let him go, it'd be tommorow 

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Lesean McCoy said after the game that Dennison called a run pass option at the goal line. 

So it was up to Tyrod whether to run or pass. 

I mean, Dennison could have called a straight run play. But, IMO, it's a smart call to give your QB the ability to read the defense and choose a run or pass depending on the defensive coverage pre/post snap (especially in a goal line situation where the field is so short). 

Which is why it was a bad play call.  1st and goal from the 1 and you're calling a RPO?

Common sense says run the ball with Kyle.

I feel like if something were to happen with Dennison, it would be today.

Supposedly the GM/HC met with the coordinators yesterday.

Looks like McBeane and others are headed down to Florida to do the wrap up with Pegula.  If something were to happen, it would be now.