YoloinOhio

Bills 2018 OC/Rookie QB will be...  

125 members have voted

1. 1. OC

• Brian Da-BOLL
    • Brian DA-boll
  2. 2. Rookie QB

53 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Josh Rosen should be, based on value, the # 1 pick in this year's draft IMO. He is pretty much solely responsible for whatever little success the Bruins were able to achieve. He did not dominate college football and was unable to turn a mediocre program into a BCS contender. His lackluster supporting cast will not prevent him from being drafted high, and neither will the other Josh's. Of course maybe you don't think Rosen is a good prospect either.

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember why Aaron Rodgers dropped down the draft board in his draft. IIR he and Alex Smith were one and 2 but then Rodgers fell down to Green Bay. I ask because there are a lot of QB's (comparatively) in this draft and it makes me wonder who might slip.

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember why Aaron Rodgers dropped down the draft board in his draft. IIR he and Alex Smith were one and 2 but then Rodgers fell down to Green Bay. I ask because there are a lot of QB's (comparatively) in this draft and it makes me wonder who might slip.

Rodgers was a cocky arrogant smug SOB. Process oriented guys sometimes don't like that. Same thing happened to G. Smith and Brady Quinn. That's why the 49rs probably preferred the much more approachable Alex Smith. Once he started to slide there was no getting out of the green room.  Odd because before the draft he was seen as a likely #1 pick by many. The NFL humiliated him. Of course he went on to humiliate the naysayers. Rosen is a guy who could fall a bit because of his elitist attitude. He too will be a very good QB - if he wants to be. AR had the desire to be great, and of course he is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

No one needed a QB that year. 

Four 1st rounders went in 2004, and four 1st rounders went in 2005. 

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Josh Rosen should be, based on value, the # 1 pick in this year's draft IMO. He is pretty much solely responsible for whatever little success the Bruins were able to achieve. He did not dominate college football and was unable to turn a mediocre program into a BCS contender. His lackluster supporting cast will not prevent him from being drafted high, and neither will the other Josh's. Of course maybe you don't think Rosen is a good prospect either.

You're right. I'm not a big Rosen fan. 

I think Rosen, Darnold and Allen all have big flaws. 

OC - Darell Bevell

QB - Hotrod

Rookie, whoever that is, rides the pine in 2018 like Mahomes this year. 

As far as draft class goes, I don't like Rosen ( injury riddled headcase) or Allen (we already have 3 inaccurate passers on staff).  I suspect if Rico stays it's Falk (dink 'n dunk pocket passer) in the 2nd.

Edited by reddogblitz

JRober all of these guys have flaws. All of them. That's why, back when you were still compos mentis, you correctly said that you often have to throw out the stat sheet when evaluating these guys.  The college stats often make these prospects look a lot better than they really are - or a lot worse. As a ready to go pocket passer Rosen has fewer flaws than the other guys. Dude has a golden arm, can make all the throws and make them accurately. If we went with the WCO he'd be ideal. Thing is maybe he'd rather play tennis. 

So, who do you like BTW.

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

JRober all of these guys have flaws. All of them. That's why, back when you were still compos mentis, you correctly said that you often have to throw out the stat sheet when evaluating these guys.  The college stats often make these prospects look a lot better than they really are - or a lot worse. As a ready to go pocket passer Rosen has fewer flaws than the other guys. Dude has a golden arm, can make all the throws and make them accurately. If we went with the WCO he'd be ideal. Thing is maybe he'd rather play tennis. 

So, who do you like BTW.

Right. Most of them aren't going to work out. 

Rosen has the tools, but all the reports of his demeanour off the field are terrible. He's selfish, his team mates don't appear to like him, and as you pointed out he never elevated his UCLA team. He sounds like a piece of work, and unless he's the best player on his team those guys usually don't last long in an NFL locker room. He worries me a ton. Seems like a terrible fit in Buffalo. 

Darnold gets too much hype in my eyes. He makes too many mistakes. I think his best case scenario is Matt Stafford, but I think there's considerable downside as well. He's got the tools, but he needs to put it all together. It remains to be seen if he can do that.

Allen I've discussed. I'm not using a 1st round pick on an average college QB. 

Baker Mayfield is the only guy who really interests me. I like the competitiveness, I like that he improved every year, and I like that he had back to back years with a QBR above 90 (history shows this seems to be important). After watching Desean Watson find early success as a passer, I think Mayfield could do the same thing. I think he's a smart QB who wants to be great and I think he's the type of guy who would be a great fit in Buffalo. The fans would absolutely love him. 

No one else really interests me. 

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Right. Most of them aren't going to work out. 

Rosen has the tools, but all the reports of his demeanour off the field are terrible. He's selfish, his team mates don't appear to like him, and as you pointed out he never elevated his UCLA team. He sounds like a piece of work, and unless he's the best player on his team those guys usually don't last long in an NFL locker room. He worries me a ton. Seems like a terrible fit in Buffalo. 

Darnold gets too much hype in my eyes. He makes too many mistakes. I think his best case scenario is Matt Stafford, but I think there's considerable downside as well. He's got the tools, but he needs to put it all together. It remains to be seen if he can do that.

Allen I've discussed. I'm not using a 1st round pick on an average college QB. 

Baker Mayfield is the only guy who really interests me. I like the competitiveness, I like that he improved every year, and I like that he had back to back years with a QBR above 90 (history shows this seems to be important). After watching Desean Watson find early success as a passer, I think Mayfield could do the same thing. I think he's a smart QB who wants to be great and I think he's the type of guy who would be a great fit in Buffalo. The fans would absolutely love him. 

No one else really interests me. 

Fair enuf. I too have a high opinion of Mayfield. I don't think he gets enuf credit for his smarts and technical competence. He would be a fan favourite wherever he played. My reservation is his size, specifically his height. If he's no taller than Flutie my gut tells me he's not a Beane kinda guy. 

Rosen is not a blue collar type of guy. He's on his way to the big apple IMO. 

17 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Fair enuf. I too have a high opinion of Mayfield. I don't think he gets enuf credit for his smarts and technical competence. He would be a fan favourite wherever he played. My reservation is his size, specifically his height. If he's no taller than Flutie my gut tells me he's not a Beane kinda guy. 

Rosen is not a blue collar type of guy. He's on his way to the big apple IMO. 

Height doesn't bother me. He plays behind an enormous offensive line and has had no issues scanning the field.

I care about his attitude, competitiveness, work ethic, accuracy and ability to make plays from the pocket, and I think he does all those things quite well. 

I'd love to move up into the 5-10 range and have a shot at Mayfield. It'll probably cost three first round picks, but I think the risk is worth the potential reward so long as we keep our 2nd round picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Height doesn't bother me. He plays behind an enormous offensive line and has had no issues scanning the field.

I care about his attitude, competitiveness, work ethic, accuracy and ability to make plays from the pocket, and I think he does all those things quite well. 

I'd love to move up into the 5-10 range and have a shot at Mayfield. It'll probably cost three first round picks, but I think the risk is worth the potential reward so long as we keep our 2nd round picks. 

He takes snaps 5 to 7 yards behind that enormous line and he has a compact delivery and a quick release. If he has to line up under centre in a pro style offence the big bodies will be a lot closer and if he's short that could be a problem. Moreover when Georgia adjusted at halftime from rushing 3 to rushing 4 he had trouble. If he's Doug Flutie short I don't know that Beane will want him. He helped draft Cam and the two backups on that team are both prototypical size. If as college listed he is 6''1" I would personally have no concerns.

1 minute ago, McBean said:

Durnkirk Don/Chad has done brainwashed you.

LALALALALALA, I don't listen to him/them, LALALALALALALA!   I'm on the record wanting Captain Kirk (wanted the Bills to draft him or Wilson instead of TJumptomakeacatch Graham).  Of the QB's we can get in the draft (barring trade up), Superfly looks like the best to me.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

Canada strikes me as a guy who would need to get into the NFL as a positional coach before he would get an OC job. If we hired an OC who experience with QB development(a la McCoy, Bevell), I would like bringing him in to coach QBs.

Interesting ... Helfrich has been a College HC but no nfl experience. One thing about his him is he wasn’t a good HC but he is very good at QB development. And working under an offensive HC helps as i assume Nagy will call plays.  

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 1/10/2018 at 9:11 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I do not think Lamar Jackson fits their player profile or QB profile but he’s projected to go in the 1st so i included him. 

Another OC who is available is Matt Canada from LSU. He was Peterman’s OC at Pitt. It’s a bit out of the box. But he’s creative and highly thought of. I don’t think it worked out with Orgeron but it wasn’t from an Xs and Os basis from what i hear. 

hmmm........

On 1/10/2018 at 10:49 AM, oldmanfan said:

I think they'll find out they can't move to the spot they need to draft Darnold.

Cleveland will not give up Darnold. 

NYG will not give up Rosen. And frankly Rosen smells of bust? If the Bills want to trade up it will be for Allen, Mayfield, Jackson or Rudolph.  After the combine A lot will change. 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Cleveland will not give up Darnold. 

NYG will not give up Rosen. And frankly Rosen smells of bust? If the Bills want to trade up it will be for Allen, Mayfield, Jackson or Rudolph.  After the combine A lot will change. 

Agreed.  Which is why I think they go after Cousins.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:23 AM, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yeah, I was very happy to see that they are all playing!  That video someone posted of all of Rudolph and Washingtons TD's together got me excited.  The thought of a combo like that with instant chemistry is very intriguing.

That was me, people say Rudolph's teammates made him look good. I say then draft them also. ?

On 2018-01-10 at 9:03 AM, YoloinOhio said:

He said he will pick the QB and wants the OC to tailor to his strengths and cover his weaknesses. So, I took that to mean he’s not going to draft a QB that fits the scheme of the OC, if that makes sense. He said the OC might not always be there so they won’t do that. 

Great to hear!!

Good game plan...check

Good thought process...check

Not unreasonable and/or stupid...check

Added Brian Daboll

23 minutes ago, wppete said:

I want to stay put and draft Mason Rudolph at #21 and build around him. I am not sure about who is the best OC for us.

Just for poll purposes, this is what you think the Bills will do, not what you want them to do. 

• 2 weeks later...