Marcell Dareus Training Hard for Bills Game

6 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

flashback to SB25. Bills party all week after beating up on Raiders 51-3. Overconfident, they blow it to the Giants and everyone blames it on Norwood. Wide Right sucks but partying the way the Bills did back then was a recipe for disaster. Hopefully Jags are all lit this weekend and lay an egg on the field tomorrow. 

Go Bills!

Was Norwood drinking all week? Thurman?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

Kent Hull was quoted years later, saying that the team was partying hard during SB week. Don't know about Norwood, but Thurman, Jimbo,  Bennett, Talley, Bruce and others were implicated as being out on the town quite a bit during those SB runs.

They were. I saw them out a lot that week. Had drinks with a few of them. I don't at all think they were out late the night before the game, which is a much repeated rumor that holds little weight. And it wasn't as if these were non-partiers going out on New Years. They did it a lot and it got them to four Super Bowls. It had no affect on the games.

28 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They won quite a few playoff games. Of course they were home games and Applebees and Dave and Busters weren't in buffalo yet, so they probably stayed home.

We are pretty far apart on this! Probably not going to be a meeting of the minds.

I see a guy who makes 44 thousand dollars every day, 365 days a year, who was twice suspended for substance abuse, and was traded for a token pick, pretty much just to get rid of him and his salary, out at a strip joint two days before a playoff game.

That isn't a good sign.

Further, I see a guy who can't think ahead far enough to even consider what that will look like in the event he has a bad game Sunday. Or gets injured.

I see a man who can't think ahead even two days. I think he wouldn't understand what I am saying now, even if I could talk to him.

So to me I see a picture that would make me uneasy if he was one of our guys still.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

If it was in a vacuum it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's not. He has had all sorts of issues dealing with immaturity and not being a completely committed football player and this is yet another piece that appears to fit that puzzle.

And for those of you making the comparisons of other great players or teams that partied alot and still played at a high level.  Yeah, there were plenty.  The difference is those guys continued to play at a high level whereas Dareus has dramaically dropped off.  

If I was a coach I would want my players having their heads on right and completely focused on their big franchise playoff game.  This is Dareus' first ever playoff game and this is where he is 2 days before the game?

I don't know, he may wreck us Sunday, but I don't believe he will ever become the player that he used to be.  And I attribute it to his lack of focus and commitment.

5 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

We are pretty far apart on this! Probably not going to be a meeting of the minds.

I see a guy who makes 44 thousand dollars every day, 365 days a year, who was twice suspended for substance abuse, and was traded for a token pick, pretty much just to get rid of him and his salary, out at a strip joint two days before a playoff game.

That isn't a good sign.

Further, I see a guy who can't think ahead far enough to even consider what that will look like in the event he has a bad game Sunday. Or gets injured.

I see a man who can't think ahead even two days. I think he wouldn't understand what I am saying now, even if I could talk to him.

So to me I see a picture that would make me uneasy if he was one of our guys still.

I still see a kid from a small town whose dad died when he was 7. His mom was sick his entire childhood and later died as soon as he went to college. His mentor, his high school coach whom he lived with as a senior then suddenly in a car crash that year. His best friend also died, as did either a brother or cousin. Then he made 100 million dollars. This is not an excuse for all of his bad decisions, but no one, no one had this kind of tragedy every few years. He needed to take responsibility and he didn't, but there are huge extenuating circumstances.

31 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

flashback to SB25. Bills party all week after beating up on Raiders 51-3. Overconfident, they blow it to the Giants and everyone blames it on Norwood. Wide Right sucks but partying the way the Bills did back then was a recipe for disaster. Hopefully Jags are all lit this weekend and lay an egg on the field tomorrow. 

Go Bills!

The 70s Steelers did blow all night before their Super Bowls.  Did wonders for them.

16 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Kent Hull was quoted years later, saying that the team was partying hard during SB week. Don't know about Norwood, but Thurman, Jimbo,  Bennett, Talley, Bruce and others were implicated as being out on the town quite a bit during those SB runs.

and Thurman had an MVP type game and Kelly played well too.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I still see a kid from a small town whose dad died when he was 7. His mom was sick his entire childhood and later died as soon as he went to college. His mentor, his high school coach whom he lived with as a senior then suddenly in a car crash that year. His best friend also died, as did either a brother or cousin. Then he made 100 million dollars. This is not an excuse for all of his bad decisions, but no one, no one had this kind of tragedy every few years. He needed to take responsibility and he didn't, but there are huge extenuating circumstances.

It actually is used as an excuse for all of his bad decisions, like you just did. And then said you weren't.

Not that it matters but my life story early on was comparable to his. Minus the phenomenal athletic talent and the one hundred million dollars. And the round the clock unlimited support system.

I likewise maybe did some stupid things I otherwise may not have. So I understand that part. But Marcel is not a child, He is a 27 year old man. What he does is his responsibility and no one else's and it isn't because of his dad dying when he was 7.

What happened to his family members is not a reason of any kind, to be out at a strip joint on Friday night.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They were. I saw them out a lot that week. Had drinks with a few of them. I don't at all think they were out late the night before the game, which is a much repeated rumor that holds little weight. And it wasn't as if these were non-partiers going out on New Years. They did it a lot and it got them to four Super Bowls. It had no affect on the games.

and they game was at 620, not a 1pm start like the regular season. Plenty of time to sleep in.

25 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

It actually is used as an excuse for all of his bad decisions, like you just did. And then said you weren't.

Not that it matters but my life story early on was comparable to his. Minus the phenomenal athletic talent and the one hundred million dollars. And the round the clock unlimited support system.

I likewise maybe did some stupid things I otherwise may not have. So I understand that part. But Marcel is not a child, He is a 27 year old man. What he does is his responsibility and no one else's and it isn't because of his dad dying when he was 7.

What happened to his family members is not a reason of any kind, to be out at a strip joint on Friday night.

Right, you go because they are fun.

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

and they game was at 620, not a 1pm start like the regular season. Plenty of time to sleep in.

Right, you go because they are fun.

If by fun you mean a great place to contract all kinds of diseases  while simultaneously throwing away hard earned money then yes they’re fun. :lol:

Hopefully he has to deal with itching and burning throughout the game.

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

For a guy with Dareus' rep of not applying himself, it's not a good look. I mean this is a big game for the Jags too, right? It's not like they are in the playoffs a lot. I would be disappointed in any Bills player not focusing on this game 100%. 

Maybe part of our strategy in trading him there was to sabotage them for this game.  Lol

7 hours ago, Magox said:

If it was in a vacuum it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's not. He has had all sorts of issues dealing with immaturity and not being a completely committed football player and this is yet another piece that appears to fit that puzzle.

And for those of you making the comparisons of other great players or teams that partied alot and still played at a high level.  Yeah, there were plenty.  The difference is those guys continued to play at a high level whereas Dareus has dramaically dropped off.  

If I was a coach I would want my players having their heads on right and completely focused on their big franchise playoff game.  This is Dareus' first ever playoff game and this is where he is 2 days before the game?

I don't know, he may wreck us Sunday, but I don't believe he will ever become the player that he used to be.  And I attribute it to his lack of focus and commitment.

Looks like a nice piece.

12 hours ago, klos63 said:

Am I missing something? What is he doing that's so bad?   What do you think his teammates do on Friday nights?

They should be working out in a smelly weight room or watching film for the 100th time. Working. Just like we all do on Friday nights.

Edited by vincec
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, manbeast said:

Hopefully he has to deal with itching and burning throughout the game.

Maybe part of our strategy in trading him there was to sabotage them for this game.  Lol

More likely he'll be dealing with a runny nose.

11 hours ago, MattM said:

I could be wrong, but I recall reading that your sleep two nights before an athletic event is more important than your sleep the night before.....

Clearly many people in this thread have never heard of the 48  hour rule....

Besides just that, one can't just stay up late one night, and go to bed early the next, your body needs a routine.  If it gets thrown off of its routine, it gets messed up. 

15 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

Some things will never change...

sfw 

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....which one is he?......can't find my glasses..............

He is the ass!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Funny that everyone forgets all the stars were out partying before all the Super Bowl games. Who gives a **** what he does two nights before a game and there’s no proof he’s even drunk or getting wasted. 

Maybe if they were a little more focused, we might have actually won one.  Party once you win not before

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

If by fun you mean a great place to contract all kinds of diseases  while simultaneously throwing away hard earned money then yes they’re fun. :lol:

I never caught a disease and I spent my hard earned money an entertainment that was more often than not, worthy every penny. Especially since every penny was a Canadian one.