The End of the Nathan Peterman Era...

KingRex

Just now, suorangefan4 said:

You really think the Chargers were playing with even half the intensity in the second half as they were the first? TT had a ton of time to throw in the second half, Peterman was getting the entire pocket collapsed in about a second most plays.

Thank you, been trying to point that out

• Like (+1) 1

It still amazes me that so many people are judging NP on the chargers game given the circumstances:

- 5th round pick making 1st NFL start

- Road game against a hot team (who won 4 in a row after beating the Bills and 6 of their final 7 games)

- 1st INT was  deflection of a barely used FB in the passing game, also lost Benjamin on the first drive which no doubt changed everything they gameplanned for.

-  Casey Hayward is among PFF's top graded DB's in the entire NFL (I believe he had 2 of the 5 INT's)

- Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa are 2 of the top 10 DE's in the entire NFL.

- We saw TT play against the Chargers and he did absolutely nothing against their defense either except rack up some garbage time stats.

Bottom line, it makes no sense to write this young stallion off especially since he already rebounded against the Colts in what was probably a game played among the worst inclement weather conditions in NFL history.

Edited by SaviorPeterman

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Based on what?

Tyrod would have faced that pass rush and put up probably another mediocre performance and lost the job.  Peterman would have been able to take advantage of the week secondary in KC and make it easy for McDermott to roll with Peterman from there on out.

Just now, suorangefan4 said:

You really think the Chargers were playing with even half the intensity in the second half as they were the first? TT had a ton of time to throw in the second half, Peterman was getting the entire pocket collapsed in about a second most plays.

Yes, they came out for the second half and played with intensity. Taylor has the ability to escape the pocket and extend plays, and he did that. 

You, and Buffalo2218, can try to weirdly rewrite history to fit you agenda. But, it just looks silly. Anyone who thinks that Taylor wasn't A LOT better than Peterman in the second half of that game is delusional.

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

It still amazes me that so many people are judging NP on the chargers game given the circumstances:

- Road game against a hot team (who won 4 in a row after beating the Bills and 6 of their final 7 games)

- 1st INT was  deflection of a barely used FB in the passing game, also lost Benjamin on the first drive which no doubt changed everything they gameplanned for.

-  Casey Hayward is among PFF's top graded DB's in the entire NFL (I believe he had 2 of the 5 INT's)

- We saw TT play against the Chargers and he did absolutely nothing against their defense either except rack up some garbage time stats.

Bottom line, it makes no sense to write this young stallion off especially since he already rebounded against the Colts in what was probably a game played among the worst inclement weather conditions in NFL history.

Gunner scouted him on multiple occasions. He’s seen, as much, or more of NP than just about anyone on this board. He and Blokes didn’t like him at all. The people that have seen him the least like him the most. That’s not good.

Just now, Woodman19 said:

Tyrod would have faced that pass rush and put up probably another mediocre performance and lost the job.  Peterman would have been able to take advantage of the week secondary in KC and make it easy for McDermott to roll with Peterman from there on out.

Peter Pan Pipe Dreaming.  Every halfway decent secondary would squat on his short to intermediate routes knowing he can't beat them deep while applying pressure in his face.  He'd have been a turnover machine disaster just like he was in  LA and the Bills would be home right now.  He's a marginal NFL prospect. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

Yes, they came out for the second half and played with intensity. Taylor has the ability to escape the pocket and extend plays, and he did that. 

You, and Buffalo2218, can try to weirdly rewrite history to fit you agenda. But, it just looks silly. Anyone who thinks that Taylor wasn't A LOT better than Peterman in the second half of that game is delusional.

Then in the same sense anyone who thinks Nathan Peterman wasn't better than Tyrod Taylor against the Saints is delusional.

Seems like people are forgetting that Peterman started against the Colts and played okay considering the weather.

I'm not advocating for him, just correcting the posts that say he only started one game.

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

ANY QB would look elite playing against a team that has a 30 point lead dude. As for trying to rewrite history, that's the last thing I'm doing. In fact, at that point if history serves, Taylor was getting sacked left and right. The O line was getting blown up with Peterman in and you chalk it up to the Bills playing better in the second half? So in the first half, given the amount of times Taylor was sacked before, how would Taylor have fared?

Edited by buffalo2218

Actually, this probably is the end of the Peterman Error. If Tyrod is retained, they will undoubtedly still draft a QB high, and only keep two on the active roster. If Tyrod is let go, they will undoubtedly draft a QB high and then undoubtedly sign a veteran backup to help him, and only keep two on the active roster. With all 16 games on the active list this year, Mr. Peterman is probably not eligible for the PS (although I don't know all the newer rules), so maybe he is.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Tyrod Taylor???

:devil:

Ha. I am no Tyrod fanboy as you know but it was never in question for me as to who the best Quarterback on this roster was. I knew at some point the Bills would want to get Peterman on the field and see what they had. In one way I am glad they did... because I think they found the answer I always expected. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

ANY QB would look elite playing against a team that has a 30 point lead dude. As for trying to rewrite history, that's the last thing I'm doing. In fact, at that point if history serves, Taylor was getting sacked left and right. The O line was getting blown up with Peterman in and you chalk it up to the Bills playing better in the second half? So in the first half, given the amount of times Taylor was sacked before, how would Taylor have fared?

You're missing the point. The O-line was getting blown up for four quarters. The Bills played better with TT at the helm.  

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Remember when Brady threw for 78 yards against the Dolphins in 2008.  My god how did they let him start the next game??  Oh and he played the whole game if you were wondering. 

I suspect he had a much better track record for proficiency in passing than Tyrod at that point.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Ha. I am no Tyrod fanboy as you know but it was never in question for me as to who the best Quarterback on this roster was. I knew at some point the Bills would want to get Peterman on the field and see what they had. In one way I am glad they did... because I think they found the answer I always expected. 

I know that.  

I’ll listen to anyone but the Nate Hater 26.   

The man is blinded for some reason. 

Thanks for your insight and great grasp of f sarcasm.  

45 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Yes and hopefully for many years to come.

A lot of folks obviously aren't going to be happy when he's the starter next year.....

There is zero chance the Bills trot Peterman out as a starter next season unless for injury reasons. 

Every decision McD has made this year has had an impact on the Bills making the playoffs including the decision to bench Tyrod for the Chargers game. I am assuming there had to be some discussions and disagreements among the coaches during the weeks surrounding that game. If McD decides to wait and not start Peterman in LA and the Bills lose with Tyrod, which seems to be very close to an absolute certainty, then Tyrod is not the unquestionable starter for the rest of the year. Peterman might start in KC, where they would most likely lose and the season is lost. Maybe Tyrod starts again in KC and plays terribly and the Bills lose and the season is lost.

Regardless Peterman was starting a game in 2017 and the way it played out it couldn't have worked out better for the team.

Now either McD is some kind of genius and played some of this out in his mind when he made the decision, or he is simply very lucky. But the fact is the Bills are 4-2 since that game with the only losses to those cocksuckers in New England and Tyrod has played fairly well. It turned out to be a the perfect time to make a risky call and now we get to watch a Bills football game in January, and I think Tyrod has his best game ever.

41 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Peterman will make an excellent backup for the Bills. He's going nowhere!

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

Yeah starting Peterman really decresed the Bills chances of winning against a hot San Diego team on the road. Given how Taylor played against the Saints the week before, it's possible he could have been worse against the Chargers

...or considering in that same game TT went 15 of 25 for 158 and a TD while running for 38 and another TD off the bench, OR considering TT threw only 4 INTs all season...it actually isnt possible...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

...or considering in that same game TT went 15 of 25 for 158 and a TD while running for 38 and another TD off the bench, OR considering TT threw only 4 INTs all season...it actually isnt possible...

Chargers were up by like 30 at that point. They weren't worried about a come back.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, What a Tuel said:

Chargers were up by like 30 at that point. They weren't worried about a come back.

got it, totally fair, lets speculate TT starts that game and throws 5 first half INTs or worse, because thats a reasonable position to take.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kota said:

Assuming that the Bills would have won with Taylor against the Chargers is a mistake.  The Bills were hot at the start of the season and then started drinking their own cool-aid.  The Chargers had just started their run and where hot.  They continued that throughout the season.

In Hindsight this was the best decision he could have made throughout hte year.  He benched his starting QB basically telling everyone that nobody is untouchable.  It's not a coincidence that suddently the Bills start to win games again.  

you say it's stupid.  I say it was smart.  

I say it was classic misdirection

I think this article about the saints game on cover1 deserves to be revisited
TL;DR summary:

-for large portions of the Saints game, TT had no one open to throw to due to repeatedly calling plays with inappropriate routes for the Saints Tampa 2 coverage
-it took too long for the Bills to correctly diagnose what the Saints were doing and adjust

Read it though if you like technical, x's an o's football discussion

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Neither were the Oilers in 1992.  60 minutes!

True that.

Just now, Bill Murray said:

got it, totally fair, lets speculate TT starts that game and throws 5 first half INTs or worse, because thats a reasonable position to take.  

I didn't say that. I just meant that Tyrod's stats in the 2nd half aren't really indicative of a true competition. Chargers were probably giving up all kinds of stuff in the middle of the field just to keep the clock moving and go home.

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

True that.

I didn't say that. I just meant that Tyrod's stats in the 2nd half aren't really indicative of a true competition. Chargers were probably giving up all kinds of stuff in the middle of the field just to keep the clock moving and go home.

Fine, but my original response was to buffalo2218 who did say that, so thats where i was going.  TT haters speak only in hyperbole and it obscures every conversation.  its annoying.  TT haters can root for the Jags on sunday, have fun.

Some one should start a thread of most hated buffalo bill of all time and for like 66% of this board it would go like this:

1 Tyrod Taylor

2 Anyone else

i dont get it

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

Ok here's reasonable. TT 3 and outs with very few completions, is sacked about 6 times in the first half. But hey, he didn't throw 1 single pick. Bills still lose

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Which gets made up for by all the games we had more than a one score lead in and went into an offensive shell for the 4th and sometimes even 3rd quarter. It works both ways.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can you imagine a playoff team turning their QB situation over to a 5th round rookie that completed 49% of his passes and threw 5 picks in a half?!? That’s not happening. There is little to no chance that the Bills hand the keys to NP next year.

I saved this post. 

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

Yeah starting Peterman really decresed the Bills chances of winning against a hot San Diego team on the road. Given how Taylor played against the Saints the week before, it's possible he could have been worse against the Chargers

Denial is a stinky cologne. Peterman literally played the worst half of football since the merger, please explain what could be worse, and in what universe Taylor would perform worse than 5 INTs that gift wrapped 24 points and a missed FG 

8 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Ok here's reasonable. TT 3 and outs with very few completions, is sacked about 6 times in the first half. But hey, he didn't throw 1 single pick. Bills still lose

But 3 and outs and punts dont mean we lose!  pick 6s do!  3 and outs and punts inside the 20 has won us 9 games and gotten us into the playoffs!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KingRex said:

or so dubs ESPN PTI in their assessment of McDermott's rookie year as an HC!

I have to admit, but these guys are right in their judgment.  Starting a 5th round rookie QB for a team in playoff convention really does rank among one of the stupidest coaching decisions in NFL history (it was not only a bad move in terms of short-term goals of giving your team the best chance to compete this year, but it was also an unprecedented move in terms of sensible young player development).

However, all is forgiven by the team making the playoffs!

I'm just happy the players and Tyrod kept their eye on the prize and focused on simply winning ball games when the "process" apparently called for abandoning the QB that brung you where you are and for pursuing a player development strategy which expected a league consensus 5th round drafted rookie to lead his team to glory.  In a game where self-confidence is key, I simply hope McDermoot has not ruined the seemingly talented NP by throwing him to the sharks.

Nevertheless the real deal here is despite this McD/and  assume Beane screw-up just win baby.

Nobody's perfect and at least for a week we are cruising!

I thought he was justified in starting NP because OBD needs to know if they had their eventual starter on the roster before they go ahead and spend 2-3 of their valuable early picks to get a top rated QB. Also consider the fact that the Bills made the playoffs with a new head coach and both new cordinators. They came up with some rookie gems in #58, #27 and #73, they have assembled an outstanding defensive backfield, now throw in free agents #10 and #13----I believe they might be better off using all those picks for non- QBs to fill in at LB, OL and DL. Granted Tyrod is not a top 10 QB, but with a better surrounding cast, [and we should certainly have one with all those high picks] use TT's unique skill set for another year to improve on 9-7. I also think part of Peterman's problem in that game was not his fault,  #42 virtually handing LA a touchdown on the first drive, and some very weak pass protection. With another year of grooming he may still be a good NFL qb. 

How would we feel if OBD gave up 3 picks to get one of those coveted qbs only to find he's another E.J. or R. Leaf  or tears up his knee early---------now we don't have the OL or DL guys we needed and no qb either.