The End of the Nathan Peterman Era...

KingRex

18 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

I'm not sure if McD knew all of the positives that would come out of the decision to bench Taylor for that game, but if he did that is next level coaching. Team came together, and from what I understand, rallied around Taylor AGAINST the coach and his decision making them a more cohesive bunch. 

Not to mention what he learned about his rookie 2 weeks after playing that dreadful half of football when he shook it off and played very good in that blizzard. The dude can flat out coach and has shown it for 8 months. 

This is all ridiculous. 

You're saying he intentionally lost the team, to gain the team. Then something about learning something about Peterman in the blizzard. The guy only played a half and most people who actually think critically about what they are saying, pretty much said that you can't take anything away from that game.

Peterman also only played because of Tyrod's injury.  He wasn't doubling down and deciding to give Peterman a chance in the least opportune time... well outside of that time he decided to play him against the best pass rush in the league in LA... but that was great coaching.

You're also pointing to the game in which he may have made his worse decision all year in punting.

He was showing he was a good coach in May? 

Almost everything you said in this post is just gibberish. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tyrod: Remember that time you benched me for what's his name and he threw 5 picks?  

McDermott: Yeah, I know I  :censored: up.  Sorry man. 

temp20171231cm1905--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.J

Disclaimer :  none of this was actually said. 

Getting curb stomped by Josh Mccown then no showing at home vs Saints as you lead the 3rd worst offense in the 2018 NFL season will get you benched.        

26’s war against accountability rages on. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, grb said:

If I had to guess, I'd bet Dennison & McDermott thought NP didn't have to be ready, the system would triumph over all. Also :

That was almost certainly the case. I talked pre-season about NFL coaches being "scheme arrogant" and believing that if they can have a guy who can just run their scheme then the scheme will triumph. McDermott and Dennison were not the first to fall into this trap and they won't be the last. 

The other thing that was almost certainly at play was their draft picks this year. The Bills know they need a Quarterback of the future. They have the opportunity in a reasonably deep class and with serious pick ammunition to take a shot on one this year. They had a rookie who they obviously liked some (much more than I liked him at least) on the roster and that created an urgency to see at some point what they had. I'm glad they did.... cos they don't have much.

Time to put on the big boys pants and take a shot at a proper franchise Quarterback in April. 

Edited by GunnerBill

8 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

I did not say anything about Peterman for MVP nor did i lament Peterman's concussion, as far as the steven Ruiiz clips they were formatted to SELL his story. thats all. 

5 Ints and almost a sixth sold the story all on it's own.  He provided video proof.

BTW he even gave Peterman credit for engineering a scoring drive that was two handoffs to McCoy and 75 yards.....

But look how it worked out - we made the playoffs.  McDermott has made a couple of decisions I questioned at the time - but some had immediate effects and inevitably they all ended up with us in the playoffs.  Punting in OT against the Colts?  Won that game.  Starting Peterman?  Compare performance of Tyrod and the team before and after and I bet you'll see most things improved.  That's conjecture but probably right.

1 minute ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

But look how it worked out - we made the playoffs.  McDermott has made a couple of decisions I questioned at the time - but some had immediate effects and inevitably they all ended up with us in the playoffs.  Punting in OT against the Colts?  Won that game.  Starting Peterman?  Compare performance of Tyrod and the team before and after and I bet you'll see most things improved.  That's conjecture but probably right.

And Joe Webb's 34 yard hail mary to Thompson all part of his plan......

Maybe the two biggest plays of the year were for me.....  The fifth Peterman Int, because McDermott wanted so badly to be right, he kept trotting him back out there after each and every Int and would have the second half.

The Peterman concussion, because win or lose that game (and a loss would have knocked them out of the playoffs) he wanted to see the Peterman experiment through and would have started him vs. Miami explaining that you can't assess a qb playing in a snowstorm.

A genius I tell you.....

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This is all ridiculous. 

You're saying he intentionally lost the team, to gain the team. Then something about learning something about Peterman in the blizzard. The guy only played a half and most people who actually think critically about what they are saying, pretty much said that you can't take anything away from that game.

Peterman also only played because of Tyrod's injury.  He wasn't doubling down and deciding to give Peterman a chance in the least opportune time... well outside of that time he decided to play him against the best pass rush in the league in LA... but that was great coaching.

You're also pointing to the game in which he may have made his worse decision all year in punting.

He was showing he was a good coach in May? 

Almost everything you said in this post is just gibberish. 

You are not too bright.

#1. I said I am not sure McD knew all of the good that would come of the decision to start the rookie, it just happened that way. IF he played some of it out in his mind then it is next level. It is not ridiculous at all to think McD thought it was a better idea to start the kid early so it wasn't too late to make up for it if it went badly which obviously it did.

#2. I never said he lost the team on purpose or on accident. You just made that up for some unknown reason. Rallying around a player does not mean a team was lost. That cliche is a joke and I never said.

#3. It makes no difference why NP had to play 3 weeks later and I never said McD wanted to play him. The fact of the matter is that he did play, he played well and the Bills won the game. This says a lot about the kid and he got rave reviews from all the coaches and the players including Tyrod.

#3. Bringing up the punt in the snow game is ridiculous. The bills won the game. It makes no sense to bring up a decision that led to a Bills win if you want to discredit the coach more. SMH.

#4. Yes, he was a good coach in May. Maybe not showing it to the folks at TBD, but yes he was coaching I'm sure. Do you think he wasn't working in May??? FFS.

Don't be so simple minded. Think outside the box some. That's what successful people do. That's what McD does. He doesn't just sit around and hope things get better. He makes what seem to be crazy decisions that have so worked out and put the Bills in the playoffs. You believe the bills got in the playoffs in spite of the decisions. That's a bad look.

You should probably wait and go off on the man and the decisions when those decisions lead to like 4-12, you would come off as a much smarter person.

12 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

56 yards passing in the Modern NFL. 

Don't forget....

74 yards passing going into the final drive at Carolina. Airmailed the game winning TD pass to Zay Jones. 

65 yards passing against New England, who had the worst pass defense in football. 

Once he was comfortably down 34-7 against the Jets, he was able to pad the stats in "Tyrod Time".

BUT HE ONLY TURNED THE BALL OVER ONCE IN THOSE 4 GAMES!!!!!U!)*Y!(*^!(&T! 

The national media & #teamtyrod's Peterman/McDermott take is literally the laziest & most uninformed opinion possible. 

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

No it's really not possible. Especially since he did play in that game, and out performed Peterman.

You're just wrong, they were just wrong. In the end, it doesn't matter though.

And if the kid went in there and lit it up, McD would have looked like a genius and you would all be sleeping in Peterman jerseys right now. 

No one knew what would happen going into that game, and I would bet that there were quite a few players in the locker room who were absolutely consulted and supportive of that decision. Taylor's inability to run even a barely functional passing offense against teams other than the Dolphins put Peterman in the conversation. 

McDermott was 100% correct and justified pulling Tyrod Taylor. 

7 hours ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

I'm not sure if McD knew all of the positives that would come out of the decision to bench Taylor for that game, but if he did that is next level coaching. Team came together, and from what I understand, rallied around Taylor AGAINST the coach and his decision making them a more cohesive bunch. 

Not to mention what he learned about his rookie 2 weeks after playing that dreadful half of football when he shook it off and played very good in that blizzard. The dude can flat out coach and has shown it for 8 months. 

Wow. The most imbecilic coaching decision this year in the NFL morphs into some zen jujitsu move. Whoda thunk it?

Reminder :

• Taylor played well against the Bucs
  • Taylor played well against the Raiders
  • Taylor was one of the few Bills who showed-up to play against the Jets (and played well)
  • Taylor played poorly against the Saints and was then benched.

Meanwhile :

• The entire offense was dysfunctional against the Saints. The running backs gained nothing on the ground. The receivers were blanketed. The OC didn't make adjustments. There's a link to a Cover1 study of the game near the beginning of this thread. This is a coaching issue.
  • The entire team didn't show up Thursday against the Jets (Taylor being a notable exception). This is definitely a coaching issue.
  • The whole defense didn't show up game after game, allowing an average of +400 yds over a long stretch. This a massive coaching issue

Conclusion?

• Do something idiotic; have the team rally against you for being a idiot; have the entire country laughing at you for being a fool; problem solved !!!

Wasn't there an easier way for McDermott to deal with his accumulating mistakes than that?

Edited by grb

9 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

Nobody is saying that Taylor would have kept pace with Rivers.

However, if the Bills could have played field position against Rivers, and forced him to go the length of the field, the Bills defense could have contained him.  And Rivers is apt to make a mistake the longer the drive.  The Bills excelled at turning the ball over this year.

That's basically the gameplan the Bills rode to the playoffs this year. Force offenses into long drives, which result in opponent mistakes and turnovers.

Peterman's 5 interceptions resulted in a pick six and 4 short fields that Rivers took advantage of.  It completely knocked Buffalo out of its gameplan.

That's why turnovers are WAY worse than 3 and outs. 

Actually there are quite a few who think believe that.    

7 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Losses to at New England and at Jacksonville, both by 1 score or less. LA was much better than their 3-6 record, and it showed finishing 9-7.

9-3 in their last 12 games, and a lot of those wins were blowouts

40% of Taylors games were 16 points or less.  On of them was a NE game with 3 points in Buffalo.   And TT was benched in the 4th QTR.  

temp20171231cm1905--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.J

Coach, I can't thank you enough for benching me at the start of the Chargers game.   

It taught me that I need to be a QB!!  So thank you from the bottom of my heart!

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Which thread is dumber this one or the one guy that tried to sell a bunch of land in the Lancaster area by disguising himself as an insider from Dunkirk? 

Hmmmm   

There never was a "Peterman era".  And there never was a Spider Webb Trap play. 

But

hands down Hanging Chad Bono thread is the sorriest of them all. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, twoandfourteen said:

Don't forget....

74 yards passing going into the final drive at Carolina. Airmailed the game winning TD pass to Zay Jones. 

65 yards passing against New England, who had the worst pass defense in football. 

Once he was comfortably down 34-7 against the Jets, he was able to pad the stats in "Tyrod Time".

The national media & #teamtyrod's Peterman/McDermott take is literally the laziest & most uninformed opinion possible. 

And if the kid went in there and lit it up, McD would have looked like a genius and you would all be sleeping in Peterman jerseys right now. 

No one knew what would happen going into that game, and I would bet that there were quite a few players in the locker room who were absolutely consulted and supportive of that decision. Taylor's inability to run even a barely functional passing offense against teams other than the Dolphins put Peterman in the conversation. 

There's a whole lot of stupid in this post. Let's just hit some highlights :

"Airmailed the game winning TD pass to Zay Jones" Jones ran an awful route and made an embarrassingly clumsy play on the ball. But worst by far, he had zero idea where the pass was until it was right on top of him, and couldn't make the slightest adjustment to the ball. That's not the way wide-outs run 40yd routes in the NFL - or college, or high school (for that matter).

"Once he was comfortably down 34-7 against the Jets, he was able to pad the stats in "Tyrod Time". In the first-half of the Jets game Taylor was  11-14, 79% completion, 115 yrds, 8.21 ypa, and a TD pass. And (of course) no interceptions. This despite the fact he was being hammered by a pass rush pouring thru the o-line like water thru a grate.

"And if the kid went in there and lit it up, McD would have looked like a genius and you would all be sleeping in Peterman jerseys right now." And if I win the lottery tonight, won't I be happy?

"I would bet that there were quite a few players in the locker room who were absolutely consulted and supportive of that decision"  Observations : (1) Contrary evidence seems to bother you, which is not good. (2) I hope you're not a gambler, as you shouldn't bet on the basis of wishful thinking and pure fantasy.

Edited by grb

i liked the move.  in hindsight we still made the playoffs and got a good prospect some game film.   The Chargers defensive line was too much for us to handle, most of Peterman's issues that day stemmed from that. 

I wonder how things might have worked out if differently if stone hands DiMarco had caught the pass that bounced off his hands and gave the Chargers a touchdown.  What if we scored on that drive and moved to a power running approach instead of playing desperately from behind for the rest of the game. 

13 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I still think we should have stuck with NP even after the Chargers debacle, we'd be no worse than where we are right now with TT and who knows we might have found a way to upset the Pats at home with him starting.

Either way, despite all the hate and false narratives...NP is still 1-1 as an NFL starter despite both games being less than ideal circumstances (especially the blizzard game against the Colts).

1st Bills QB to make the playoffs since 99 and people are still calling for his head. Sad, so sad.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, grb said:

"Airmailed the game winning TD pass to Zay Jones" Jones ran an awful route and made an embarrassingly clumsy play on the ball. But worst by far, he had zero idea where the pass was until it was right on top of him, and couldn't make the slightest adjustment to the ball. That's not the way wide-outs run 40yd routes in the NFL - or college, or high school (for that matter).

"Once he was comfortably down 34-7 against the Jets, he was able to pad the stats in "Tyrod Time". In the first-half of the Jets game Taylor was  11-14, 79% completion, 115 yrds, 8.21 ypa, and a TD pass. And (of course) no interceptions. This despite the fact he was being hammered by a pass rush pouring thru the o-line like water thru a grate.

"And if the kid went in there and lit it up, McD would have looked like a genius and you would all be sleeping in Peterman jerseys right now." And if I win the lottery tonight, won't I be happy?

"I would bet that there were quite a few players in the locker room who were absolutely consulted and supportive of that decision"  Observations : (1) Contrary evidence seems to bother you, which is not good. (2) I hope you're not a gambler, as you shouldn't bet on the basis of wishful thinking and pure fantasy.

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, grb said:

"I would bet that there were quite a few players in the locker room who were absolutely consulted and supportive of that decision"  Observations : (1) Contrary evidence seem to bother you, which is not good. (2) I hope you're not a gambler, as you shouldn't bet on the basis of wishful thinking and pure fantasy.

I noticed you conveniently failed to address any of the points I made regarding the actual passing production. You saying "Lets just hit some highlights" means "Ol' Uncle 2&14 has made points here that I can not refute."

Anyway, let's move on and address your nonsense one line at a time.

1. Taylor is statistically one of the most inaccurate starting QBs in the NFL. He isn't exactly known for throwing pinpoint, timing-based passes. The only throw he has any particular skill for is the ol' "heave & hope" down the sideline. While it is impossible to know exactly what happened on that play, the accuracy numbers, along with Taylor's career body of work strongly point to it being on the QB.

2. Based on his above-average (for him) first half stats, he was on pace for 230 yards and 2 TDs. He ended up with 285 yards and 3 TDs -- 2 passing, 1 rushing in the final few minutes of the 4th quarter. 285 is more than 230, right?  Then add in two very late TDs against a team that was up by 27. That is the literal definition of "padding the stats". 

3. I would think so. Still doesn't make me wrong. 

4. I'm going to make an assumption here -- so forgive me if I'm wrong -- but I'm going to assume that you really don't have much experience in a management or leadership capacity. To think that McD made a seismic decision like that without at least gauging the temperature of the team leaders is ridiculous. A decision like that does not get made without some input from key stakeholders. I would be willing to bet that there were several players (WR's and the defense, maybe?) that had reached a point of frustration with Taylor and were willing to try anything at that point. 

The fact that the team rebounded so quickly and easily from it says to me that many in that locker room were on board with some kind of change at QB. 

Had it been some kind of rogue, knee-jerk move by McD -- there would have been some sign of unrest and displeasure coming out of the locker room. 

This is all based on conjecture, of course. But it makes the most sense when one uses common sense and operates in reality.  

Edited by twoandfourteen

And remember 40% here still wanted Peterman right back in vs. KC.....  Think there was a poll somewhere.

As stated I think McDermott and certainly Dennison wanted him back in, but fortunately the performance was so atrocious that they had no choice at all (though waited 'til Wednesday to announce it)......

Just listening to Bill Simmons call the Bills one of the worst playoff teams ever and pointing out all the luck they had during the season......  I know everyone hates him......  

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And remember 40% here still wanted Peterman right back in vs. KC.....  Think there was a poll somewhere.

As stated I think McDermott and certainly Dennison wanted him back in, but fortunately the performance was so atrocious that they had no choice at all (though waited 'til Wednesday to announce it)......

Just listening to Bill Simmons call the Bills one of the worst playoff teams ever and pointing out all the luck they had during the season......  I know everyone hates him......  

really?  was this really said, or are you throwing out nonsense because this is the way you feel because of the watkins trade, and want to validate is some how.  as mentioned yesterday, the seahawks made the playoffs with a losing record.  that's right...7-9, but yet bills simmons thinks the bills are, "one of the worst playoff teams ever".  i call fabrications.  just stop already.

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Statistically, he's not wrong and they absolutely did. 

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good. 

I can't stand Simmons, so count me in the "hate" column.

7 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Disclaimer :  none of this was actually said. 

Getting curb stomped by Josh Mccown then no showing at home vs Saints as you lead the 3rd worst offense in the 2018 NFL season will get you benched.        

26’s war against accountability rages on. 

140 yards and 1 TD is nowhere near getting curb stomped. 

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

What does that have to do with McClown?

He is the jets qb.   He went up 27 points with 5 mins left.    ??‍♂️

12 minutes ago, teef said:

really?  was this really said, or are you throwing out nonsense because this is the way you feel because of the watkins trade, and want to validate is some how.  as mentioned yesterday, the seahawks made the playoffs with a losing record.  that's right...7-9, but yet bills simmons thinks the bills are, "one of the worst playoff teams ever".  i call fabrications.  just stop already.

Simmons knows the bills offense is terrible.   He picked us to lose to the dolphins.  

Watching all the no shows vs the pats should make him formulate that opinion. 

6 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

9 wins. Playoff QB. And in 5 days it will be 10 wins and join Kelly, Ferguson, Reich, and Kemp as only playoff winning QBs.  

And none of that had to do with the reason he was Benched in LA does it

• Like (+1) 1

There are some things to like about NP and I am not ready to write him off just yet. I am a fan of Taylor and don't want to just hand the job to NP, but if he earns it next year then good for him. Plenty of rookie qbs struggle and he had last than ideal circumstances to start first game. He looked more comfortable in the snow game but it is hard to tell much from that game because of the conditions. One thing the SD game showed was that Taylor does cover up for some of the pass blocking deficiencies. He keeps defenses to more disciplined rushes and is more equipped to make defenders miss when they do get thru the line. But another year in the system and NP might take another step. If nothing else, he is a solid NFL backup. 

51 minutes ago, teef said:

Yes listening again......  Having fun about the 4 way tie-breaker (and Cleveland being the reason Buffalo is in according to them) and barely beating Fales......

About 10:30 minutes in, but you hate him.  I like him, a little too Boston-centric but he is a FAN.........

Oh and also considered Peterman's qb/performance as the worst of the year (maybe all time).......

Edited by Billsfan1972

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes listening again......  Having fun about the 4 way tie-breaker (and Cleveland being the reason Buffalo is in according to them) and barely beating Fales......

About 10:30 minutes in, but you hate him.  I like him, a little too Boston-centric but he is a FAN.........

i can honestly say that i've never heard a single minute of his show, so i don't like or hate him at all.  to even say that's absurd.  why are you trying so hard to discredit what this team has done?  are they playoff giants?  of course not, but you're acting like the bills don't deserved to be there at all because of how you feel about personnel decision this staff has made.  it's childish.  but hey, if stretching, (i can guarantee what you're saying isn't totally true...you have made things up in the past) what was said gets you through the day, have at it.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Simmons isn’t really wrong, but he’s knows less about football than most people on here.

3 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Don't forget....

None of this is right. McDermott was wrong. He threw 5 ints. You don't know who was consulted in the locker room and quite honestly, I don't care who was or of they were.

It's not lazy, it's a fact he was 100% wrong playing Peterman. Why we are still having this debate or someone would want to just clearly be wrong, I don't understand. 

They made the playoffs, he made a bad decision. Let's just move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

None of this is right. McDermott was wrong. He threw 5 ints. You don't know who was consulted in the locker room and quite honestly, I don't care who was or of they were.

It's not lazy, it's a fact he was 100% wrong playing Peterman. Why we are still having this debate or someone would want to just clearly be wrong, I don't understand. 

Let's do this one more time. Pay attention. 

When evaluating a decision, you can only look at the information available at the time the decision was made. At the time, McD had a starting QB that was incapable of doing his job. To that point in the season, Taylor's body of work was poor and borderline terrible in multiple games. The Saints game was unacceptable by any measure and something had to be done. Period.

That is where he was when Peterman got the call. 

The result of the decision was an unfortunate disaster. However, that doesn't mean that he was stupid or incompetent for making it. Tyrod Taylor put them in the position where they had no other choice but to make a change. 

Now, maybe you knew for certain that Peterman was going to throw 5 picks. If that's the case, then it's on you for not taking your crystal ball down to OBD to give McD a heads up. All I ask is that you use your powers of clairvoyance for good, not evil. 

28 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The reasoning to pull Taylor wasn't wrong IMO.  We had to do something to get life in our passing game.  It was as bad as bad can get.

The results were a disaster...yes of course.  However I can't blame McDermott wanting to take a shot to improve the worst passing team in the league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I really think the move was the correct one, regardless of what the Steven A. Smiths of the world say. TT had like 66 yards passing in the two prior games and the OL was sieve. TT got a fire placed under his bum and he responded just enough to get us to the playoffs. I swear people just say stuff to hear themselves speak.

Regret the decision? No.

Regret the outcome? Maybe. I mean, I think it lit a fire under the OL & TT's bum.

Edited by Paulus

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The reasoning to pull Taylor wasn't wrong IMO.  We had to do something to get life in our passing game.  It was as bad as bad can get.

The results were a disaster...yes of course.  However I can't blame McDermott wanting to take a shot to improve the worst passing team in the league.

eric woods was on sirius nfl the other day talking about this.  i know you have to take it with a grain of salt when discussing something like this with the national media, but he claimed he, (and the team) were shocked by the move, but completely understood it.  he said he had respect for mcd because he was willing to shake things up to win.  i'm obviously paraphrasing, but this was the gist of it.  it ended in disaster, but we can understand why the move was attempted.  woods also specifically mentioned that fans don't see peterman play in practice like the other players/coaches do.  maybe peterman is fantastic in practice?

1 minute ago, teef said:

eric woods was on sirius nfl the other day talking about this.  i know you have to take it with a grain of salt when discussing something like this with the national media, but he claimed he, (and the team) were shocked by the move, but completely understood it.  he said he had respect for mcd because he was willing to shake things up to win.  i'm obviously paraphrasing, but this was the gist of it.  it ended in disaster, but we can understand why the move was attempted.  woods also specifically mentioned that fans don't see peterman play in practice like the other players/coaches do.  maybe peterman is fantastic in practice?

Yes.

The entire offense watches film and these players aren't a bunch of idiots...they can see what was holding the offense back.

Sal C says that 2nd bolded part all the time.  McDermott isn't clueless like some people will argue....if Peterman looked so poorly in practice he wasn't going to put him in a game.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes.

The entire offense watches film and these players aren't a bunch of idiots...they can see what was holding the offense back.

Sal C says that 2nd bolded part all the time.  McDermott isn't clueless like some people will argue....if Peterman looked so poorly in practice he wasn't going to put him in a game.

Paging Allen Iverson!  Mr. Allen Iverson!