The End of the Nathan Peterman Era...

KingRex

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Yes and hopefully for many years to come.

A lot of folks obviously aren't going to be happy when he's the starter next year.....

It does feel like its lining up that way doesnt it?   We arent going to have the draft capital to take one of the top QB's and we have too many needs to blow all the picks for the second tier guys. 

24 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Yeah starting Peterman really decresed the Bills chances of winning against a hot San Diego team on the road. Given how Taylor played against the Saints the week before, it's possible he could have been worse against the Chargers

How dare you use solid reasoning and logic. 

16 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Yes and that's when the true Peterman era will begin.

Despite all the talk of trading up for a franchise QB, I still get the sense that Beane and McD love NP and will build around him in the offseason. This doesn't mean we won't bring in another veteran or draft another QB in the mid rounds though.

14 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

I seriously doubt if the Bills have a chance to get one of these guys in the draft, they'd pass them up just to build around Peterman. Peterman has a very long way to go in terms of development.

Can you imagine a playoff team turning their QB situation over to a 5th round rookie that completed 49% of his passes and threw 5 picks in a half?!? That’s not happening. There is little to no chance that the Bills hand the keys to NP next year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

This seems to be the conventional wisdom, but I'm not so sure. If we draft a QB high, which seems likely, would it be better to have Taylor, whichever vet journeyman is available, or Peterman/Webb?

If you are drafting a QB you probably want a fundamentally sound QB for them to look up to.

2 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Bollocks.

This is just hindsight being 20/20.

Hot-Rod was playing uninspired, crappy football at the time and the coaching staff wanted to see what their other QB could do.  I had no problem with them doing that.

Starting Peterman I get.  Letting him throw five picks in one half, I don't get.  j

If they pull him after the second pick, Peterman could've shaken off the rough outing.  One pick was a tip and the second one just wasn't a good pass.  He could've recovered from his first start with only two picks.  Letting him completely meltdown, throw five picks in one half and become a national joke?  Not a good move at all.  Peterman can say all he wants about getting past it, but you know it'll be on his mind for some time.  IMO, it was completely unfair to NP.

Edited by Bills757

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The Peterman era? When did that happen?

I'd like to say blink and you missed it K-9 but with each interception I kept blinking to check I wasn't dreaming and no... it was real. 

Everyone keeps saying he wasn't ready, he wasn't ready.... I am not sure that is the case at all. I think he is as ready as he will ever be. He just isn't very good. 

3 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

As opposed to Taylor's performance against the Saints?

Of course they did if the Chargers let off the gas with a 30 point lead

How far do you have to stretch to not give Taylor any credit that he is due? 

I didn't see the Chargers "let off the gas." They were pumped.

15 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Yes and that's when the true Peterman era will begin.

Despite all the talk of trading up for a franchise QB, I still get the sense that Beane and McD love NP and will build around him in the offseason. This doesn't mean we won't bring in another veteran or draft another QB in the mid rounds though.

By sense, you mean nonsense, correct?

1 minute ago, Bills757 said:

So one of the worst halves in NFL history and Taylor would do worse?  You're reaching....a lot.

In all seriousness, McD could've picked a different team to have Peterman start.  The Chargers' pass rush was brutal and not a good matchup for Peterman.

What was Taylor's statline against the Saints? Believe it was something like 50 yards passing for a WHOLE game, I'm not reaching at all. I understand McDermott's reasoning after that dreadful performance. Taylor might not have thrown as many picks, but do you really believe he would have fared THAT much better?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I'd like to say blink and you missed it K-9 but with each interception I kept blinking to check I wasn't dreaming and no... it was real. 

Everyone keeps saying he wasn't ready, he wasn't ready.... I am not sure that is the case at all. I think he is as ready as he will ever be. He just isn't very good. 

It's a longshot that he'll ever be more than a backup QB. 

6 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

A guy who rarely throws INT's could do worse than 5 picks in one half?  Um...okay, yea, right.  I'm not sure Taylor could've been worse if he tried.  

No, but a guy that holds the ball too long could have takes 8-10 sacks and lost a couple fumbles. Or just kept going 3 and out. Or just checked down to a RB or TE on 3rd and 18. 

Heard a clip of Deon Sanders of all people the other day.  He talked about the benching of Tyrod for the Chargers game.  He said "why would you bench your QB when you're in contention".  This is not verbatim, but he said when he looked into it and talked to the players, he found out that it was justified, and the players thought it was needed.  He felt Tyrod needed that to look at his game and make adjustments.

7 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Yes and hopefully for many years to come.

A lot of folks obviously aren't going to be happy when he's the starter next year.....

Regardless you need to change your name to Savior5INTpeterman.  Come on!! 

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

How far do you have to stretch to not give Taylor any credit that he is due? 

I didn't see the Chargers "let off the gas." They were pumped.

Dude, if the Chargers were pumped, they'd have hung a 70 burger on the Bills. Benching Taylor may have actually helped him, sure did look that way in KC

What was Taylor's statline against the Saints? Believe it was something like 50 yards passing for a WHOLE game, I'm not reaching at all. I understand McDermott's reasoning after that dreadful performance. Taylor might not have thrown as many picks, but do you really believe he would have fared THAT much better?

It seems to me that his stat line against the same team in the second half of the same game is a bit more relevant.

Look....I get the hate you have for Taylor.  I really do.  Nothing I say will change it.  What's more damaging, an ineffective passing game or giving the other team 5 turnovers and short fields to score?  

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a longshot that he'll ever be more than a backup QB. 

Personally I think it is a longshot that he is in the league in 3 years. There might be as many as 10 or 11 Quarterbacks in this upcoming draft I'd take over him. I'd love to be wrong and see him become the Frank Reich of this era for us but I just don't think he is an NFL talent. 

2 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

It does feel like its lining up that way doesnt it?   We arent going to have the draft capital to take one of the top QB's and we have too many needs to blow all the picks for the second tier guys. 

We are going to have two 1st round draft picks anywhere from #20 - #32 (likely #20 - #26 because I don't see the Chiefs or Bills getting past 2nd round).

All of the 'blue chip' guys will be long gone by then and still think it's ludicrous to assume this regime is going to give away the farm to try and move up and get one especially now that the playoff drought monkey is off their back so to speak.

Yes this team is in the playoffs but there are still a ton of holes to address (notably the entire front seven on defense) and it would be stupid to waste an entire draft (and possibly picks next year) to try and move up into the top 3  unless you are 110% sure the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady is sitting there.

The job won't be handed to NP so to speak, but pretty sure he can win it against a journeyman veteran and another mid round type of rookie that's likely going to be on the QB depth chart heading into camp next year.

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

Dude, if the Chargers were pumped, they'd have hung a 70 burger on the Bills. Benching Taylor may have actually helped him, sure did look that way in KC

Now tell me the winning lottery numbers wise one. 

It seems to me that his stat line against the same team in the second half of the same game is a bit more relevant.

You mean in garbage time?

Nathan Peterman had more yards and TDs in 5 minutes of the Saints game than Tyrod did for the rest of the game.  Weird how you failed to remember that.

30 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Yeah starting Peterman really decresed the Bills chances of winning against a hot San Diego team on the road. Given how Taylor played against the Saints the week before, it's possible he could have been worse against the Chargers

56 yards

2 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Heard a clip of Deon Sanders of all people the other day.  He talked about the benching of Tyrod for the Chargers game.  He said "why would you bench your QB when you're in contention".  This is not verbatim, but he said when he looked into it and talked to the players, he found out that it was justified, and the players thought it was needed.  He felt Tyrod needed that to look at his game and make adjustments.

I seen that too.

Everyone wants a composed QB, but he is just too conservative and calm.

He just sits on the bench with that blank stare...............I don't get that.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let's see. He has no poise under pressure, sloppy mechanics,spotty accuracy,  marginal arm strength,  and makes poor decisions. 

Outside of mechanics, how can you judge any of that with the amount of play time he has had?  I get it, he had an awful start against the Chargers but he certainly looked a hell of a lot better against the Colts and arm strength, ball placement and decision making wasnt so much of a problem that game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bills757 said:

Look....I get the hate you have for Taylor.  I really do.  Nothing I say will change it.  What's more damaging, an ineffective passing game or giving the other team 5 turnovers and short fields to score?  

This is far from hate on Taylor, more of a justification for McDermott's decision. Ask yourself this, if Taylor had almost the same performance against the Chargers that he had against NO, would it stand to reason he wouldn't have played any better in KC? Bottom line is, I appreciate what Taylor has done. Were in the playoffs and he's a big reason why.

1 minute ago, suorangefan4 said:

You mean in garbage time?

Nathan Peterman had more yards and TDs in 5 minutes of the Saints game than Tyrod did for the rest of the game.  Weird how you failed to remember that.

Since when does garbage time start at the beginning of the second half?

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You were right on this (and right early). I MIGHT (might) take your QB scouting seriously this year. :P

What I'd like to see is Dennison using Taylor's mobility as a weapon versus using it as a defense mechanism (ie. scrambling to avoid the rush).  Roll him out, run him more....if he get's hurt, he get's hurt but why not use your players' abilities versus trying to make them into something they're not (a pocket passer).  You don't see Brady trying to run....you see him in the pocket because that's what he's good at doing.  

This is the playoffs.  It's time to let it all hang out.  For the record, I think Dennison is part of the problem with the way he goes into a shell in the second half of games.  You don't have your QB throw for 160 yards only to finish with a little over 200 for the game.  Say what you want about Taylor but this is true with regards to play calling.

Since when does garbage time start at the beginning of the second half?

You really think the Chargers were playing with even half the intensity in the second half as they were the first? TT had a ton of time to throw in the second half, Peterman was getting the entire pocket collapsed in about a second most plays.

• Like (+1) 2

This is always weird to me. We got worked by SD in the trenches and their D. Highly doubt we would have won. 

The other night would have been win and in had we not looked like garbage against a bad Bengals team early in the year. To me this is the game everybody should be looking at as a head scratcher. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You were right on this (and right early). I MIGHT (might) take your QB scouting seriously this year. :P

Haha. More chance I ran into a lucky black cat or something in Jan 17... I seemed to get a lot of stuff right last year. I would take getting everything wrong in 2018 in exchange for a miracle Bills run to a Lombardi! 

• Like (+1) 1