Who is unimpressed by the 2018 QB class?

njbuff

17 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Bills should've drafted Cousins. If he is available we absolutely need to get him. He will be one of the top 8 QB's in the NFL and will feed off the passion and energy of Bills fans on game day. I could see Shady having 1,800 yards of total offense with Cousins at QB.

I respect your POV and there are quite a few who really like Cousins, but that is one guy I do not understand the buzz for.  So average, imo.

This is a great QB class and if Darnold comes out it will get even better. Remember that no QB coming out of college is wartless. Though it seems that fans forget that every year.

1. Darnold is super young and only real weakness is “poor decision making” like all the picks that Watson threw last year that caused people to question his decision making. 

2. Rosen is a natural QB that will step in immediately and be awesome. Concerns about his body type and love of the game are there but the talent is undeniable.

3.Josh Allen carried a Wyoming team to back to back winning seasons but had a low completion percentage out of a pro style, vertical passing attack in college. He is Phillip Rivers personality with a great arm. Question his decision making and accuracy if you want but don’t forget the talent he played with in college was really bad, like one of the worst in D1 bad.

4. Lamar Jackson is ultra athletic but also still learning to be a QB. Can you teach an athlete to play QB? Can he be Michael Vick in a league that is a little more free with letting QBs be more off script than when MV played?

5. Baker Mayfield is a Heisman winning, average Joe. Average athlete but slippery, average height that could affect him when throwing lanes aren’t as wide open as the ones he got in Oklahoma but which didn’t stop him yet. Ultra competitive and a winner who has the chance to knock off 3 of the top 5 programs in college football this year (Ohio State, Georgia, the winner of the other CFP game). Does being a winner with average physical abilities translate to winning - we will see.

This is a class with a wide array of positives and negatives. At least 4 will probably go in the first round and should based on their skill and college resume. Fans are always hypercritical if the QB position that we overanalyze to death and don’t realize that just about every year there is a chance to find a great QB.

19 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

No I am sure they do not hear the fans yelling for change at all...SMH

Fans buy tickets and if OBD opens there eyes they will see fans have waited long enough, if a QB is not taken this draft they will have a revolt of fans wanting this new staff fired by the end of 2019 IMO. Fans buy tickets and when fans want something they will let OBD know it. Remember the booing at TC? Remember Chan sticking with Fitz even with fans wanting him replaced, well fans won and Chan Fitz got fired. 

SMH, of course stick to the biggest fail even though they still got Kiko and a cheap backup out of him for his full contract. Didnt they also trade both to top it off.

Goes to show how bad OBD is at drafting QBs when EJ is the best they can do.

Fans have always bought tickets.  To this point they have influenced nothing.  Maybe a billboard got Juron fired.  Chan was getting fired regardless.  Booing did nothing.  Losing is what got him fired. Seats are still filled.  Fans have nothing to do with them drafting or not drafting a QB.  

Fans have wanted them to draft a QB for the last decade.  They drafted one you got EJ.  Congrats good job.  They never would have drafted EJ if you weren't sitting here pounding the table.  That's sarcasm by the way.

Seriously... do you think McBean is sitting there thinking..."We have a handful of fans that like Tyrod. No need to draft one this year."

Edited by Scott7975

I think every year there will be questions surrounding every QB prospect.  So rarely does there come a prospect who is touted as being the next Manning, or Brady, etc.  I think this upcoming draft is the time for Beane/McDermott to pull the trigger and go get "the guy" that they believe will be our first franchise QB since JK....and who that guy is, I have no idea.  Personally, I'd love to see us nab Baker Mayfield.  I love his passion for the game, his intensity, and his skill set.  He's a leader, and i would love to know our franchise QB was someone we drafted vs someone we signed via free agency.  As much as I love Cousins and what he would bring to the table as far as being a proven QB with an undeniable skill set, I don't like to think what it would cost to get him.  We have an absolute stockpile of draft picks, and my ideal scenario would have us drafting Mayfield at our current draft slot, or at worst having to give up only one or a few picks to move up to get him, and still having the picks to address some key areas, ie LB, DL, OL.

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Fans have always bought tickets.  To this point they have influenced nothing.  Maybe a billboard got Juron fired.  Chan was getting fired regardless.  Booing did nothing.  Losing is what got him fired. Seats are still filled.  Fans have nothing to do with them drafting or not drafting a QB.  

Fans have wanted them to draft a QB for the last decade.  They drafted one you got EJ.  Congrats good job.  They never would have drafted EJ if you weren't sitting here pounding the table.  That's sarcasm by the way.

Seriously... do you think McBean is sitting there thinking..."We have a handful of fans that like Tyrod. No need to draft one this year."

Your funny, act like it was only me that wanted OBD to finaly pull the trigger.SMH

If they see enough support to wait and ride it out on Tyrod OBD will gladly avoid drafting one since the great Peterman is on the bench. If the fans are loud enough change happens, if they sit and watch the same old fail continues. McBean better be watching what fans want because without there support anything past 2019 won't happen for them, like it or not fans rule.

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Your funny, act like it was only me that wanted OBD to finaly pull the trigger.SMH

If they see enough support to wait and ride it out on Tyrod OBD will gladly avoid drafting one since the great Peterman is on the bench. If the fans are loud enough change happens, if they sit and watch the same old fail continues. McBean better be watching what fans want because without there support anything past 2019 won't happen for them, like it or not fans rule.

That makes absolutely no sense.  Its simply not logical.  Why would they not draft a QB?  It costs them no more to sit and draft a QB as it does to sit and draft a RB.  In fact it would cost them more to "ride it out with Tyrod" then it would to draft someone new.

The fans have no effect on what or who they draft.

Edited by Scott7975

3 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

The Bills will keep Tyrod at starting QB next year, just in spite of you.

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The Bills will keep Tyrod at starting QB next year, just in spite of you.

Excellent, then they will fail just like the last few avoiding fixing the most important position in football. McD will be flipping MCdoubles at McDonald's in 2020 while McRexs QB can man the register.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Haha (+1) 1

The thing is, the ‘83 Draft class is considered to be one of the best ever, and 2004 is in believed to be of similar value and each had 3 high quality QBs. But every year there are QBs believed to be “can’t miss” and franchise caliber, but wind up being a bust. And then there are the Daks, Russell Wilsons and Kirk Cousins or Tony Romos and Kurt Warners in almost every Draft (notice I didn’t mention Brady)....

My point is that to me, is just as much about coaching the young man as it is about identifying the raw potential of any of these QBs. So, yes the Bills need to identify and be able to Draft the right QB, but just as much - they need to be able to develop him and coach him and give him an honest opportunity to grow and make Rookie type mistakes so he CAN get better. 

With th all of the top billing guys there are also guys like Ryan Finley and Luke Falk who probably have the basic tools to be a good NFL QB, but need to be coached and trained properly to mature into their QB of the future.

Remember when we traded down with KC all we heard was how this was the "best QB class in years"? 

LMAO

This just goes to solidify that the Bills simply don't know what the hell they are doing.

We could have had either Watson or Mahomes and once against decided to pass on them :wacko:

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The thing is, the ‘83 Draft class is considered to be one of the best ever, and 2004 is in believed to be of similar value and each had 3 high quality QBs. But every year there are QBs believed to be “can’t miss” and franchise caliber, but wind up being a bust. And then there are the Daks, Russell Wilsons and Kirk Cousins or Tony Romos and Kurt Warners in almost every Draft (notice I didn’t mention Brady)....

My point is that to me, is just as much about coaching the young man as it is about identifying the raw potential of any of these QBs. So, yes the Bills need to identify and be able to Draft the right QB, but just as much - they need to be able to develop him and coach him and give him an honest opportunity to grow and make Rookie type mistakes so he CAN get better. 

With th all of the top billing guys there are also guys like Ryan Finley and Luke Falk who probably have the basic tools to be a good NFL QB, but need to be coached and trained properly to mature into their QB of the future.

I see Falk as a major sleeper. He's definitely a system QB but extremely accurate. His physical traits sound like Brady coming out, slight frame, lack arm strength etc. I could see him being the next Garopollo type, Brady backup. You can't teach his accuracy, 

8 hours ago, wppete said:

I wonder if he stays at USC for one more year?

Gotta think his stock is dropping like a rock. I guess it depends on what the QB class is like next year..... although I don't pay enough attention to college football to really know ?

I think 5 QBs will be taken in the first round, maybe even more. If people are not impressed, then they are not paying attention. People bagging on Darnold are stupid and have no idea what they are talking about. 

43 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Gotta think his stock is dropping like a rock. I guess it depends on what the QB class is like next year..... although I don't pay enough attention to college football to really know ?

He will go 1 or 2 overall. Probably, #1. Just letting you and the other schmucks know you have not idea what you are talking about.

You could be right

Darnold needs one more year of seasoning. Rosen is injury prone and somewhat petulant. Mayfield may not be 6-0? I like Rudolph the most but others have their doubts about him, Allen & Jackson. There's your top 6 guys. Who's coming out, who's not, and who's overrated a lot to be determined between now and April?

9 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Josh Rosen will be in the hall of fame...if he wants to be. Not sure if he does. Best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. But he might get a concussion and get freaked out and about brain damage and quit. He doesn't need the game, has money, highly intelligent, other interests. Does he have the desire to be the best? What is his motivation? Everyone needs something to drive them. If you watch the Elite 11 program (it's on YouTube) he said he was using football to meet people and pay for school. He was the #1 QB in the country and surprisingly he didn't say "I want to be the best ever." I think if he gets picked by Cleveland he will lose interest and flame out and do something else with his life and be just as happy

There's absolutely no doubt that Rosen has the best arm of the entire group. The problem is Rosen had to be coddled by Mora for the three years he was at UCLA. Mora kept him away from the media. The dorm hot tub incident didn't help.  I just don't see him as a tough grinder who will lead a team in the NFL. He reminds me a lot of Jay Cutler. Taking him is a huge risk/reward scenario. 

10 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Bills should've drafted Cousins. If he is available we absolutely need to get him. He will be one of the top 8 QB's in the NFL and will feed off the passion and energy of Bills fans on game day. I could see Shady having 1,800 yards of total offense with Cousins at QB.

Agree 100%, getting Cousins would be my dream scenario and use the draft to fill some holes. 

6 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

Agree 100%, getting Cousins would be my dream scenario and use the draft to fill some holes. 

Cousins looked like crap today against a bad team and will cost a ton.  No thanks!

9 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

People often forget that the 83 class had three stars, two busts and one pretty good guy. And the second and third guys were not the best if I remember. I think Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge were taken pretty high. Marino was sixth. Ken O'Brien was pretty good but not great. Even in the best year ever it was a crapshoot. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's absolutely no doubt that Rosen has the best arm of the entire group. The problem is Rosen had to be coddled by Mora for the three years he was at UCLA. Mora kept him away from the media. The dorm hot tub incident didn't help.  I just don't see him as a tough grinder who will lead a team in the NFL. He reminds me a lot of Jay Cutler. Taking him is a huge risk/reward scenario. 

I think all of that is nonsense. I'm not saying he will be a stud, or that his strong personality will not have an affect of his perception around the league. But the hot tub thing is total nonsense. He's a really tough player. His teammates love him. The fact he is not afraid to speak his mind is a concern but not a detriment or lack of leadership. 

Just now, downunderbill said:

there are some very QB desperate teams near the top and the Bills and Chief's picks are in the bottom third of the draft. Unless Beane and McDermott trade away the future, we aren't getting one of these top prospects being debated anyway.

Yup. 

14 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

there are some very QB desperate teams near the top and the Bills and Chief's picks are in the bottom third of the draft. Unless Beane and McDermott trade away the future, we aren't getting one of these top prospects being debated anyway.

The future is getting a legit 15 year top end QB

Not Brees for sure. He wasn't even a good player his first five years. Manning yes. But he's not in the league so I didnt count him although yes he is a 15 year guy. Ben is about 12. 

Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. People talk about franchise QBs for 15 years but it rarely happens. They talk about running backs carrying 30 times but it rarely happens. If you get a franchise guy like Rodgers for 7.5 years, half of 15, you're one of 1-2 teams. 

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not Brees for sure. He wasn't even a good player his first five years. Manning yes. But he's not in the league so I didnt count him although yes he is a 15 year guy. Ben is about 12. 

Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. People talk about franchise QBs for 15 years but it rarely happens. They talk about running backs carrying 30 times but it rarely happens. If you get a franchise guy like Rodgers for 7.5 years, half of 15, you're one of 1-2 teams. 

Brees became a top-tier talent in 2004.  The same year the Chargers drafted Rivers and Big Ben entered the league.  That's 14 years, and those guys are still going. 

But yes, it's not a long list.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Brees became a top-tier talent in 2004.  The same year the Chargers drafted Rivers and Big Ben entered the league.  That's 14 years, and those guys are still going. 

But yes, it's not a long list.

Some people think that. I don't. He had a good stat year in 2004. And they still drafted Rivers.  He wasn't as good in 2005. To me he was only a real good QB one of five years in SD. When he and Dante Culpepper were both available as FA QBs and both hurt a little, teams wanted Culpepper. The Dolphins chose him over Brees. Brees has good stats one year on the Chargers but they never thought of him as a star. 

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Some people think that. I don't. He had a good stat year in 2004. And they still drafted Rivers.  He wasn't as good in 2005. To me he was only a real good QB one of five years in SD. When he and Dante Culpepper were both available as FA QBs and both hurt a little, teams wanted Culpepper. The Dolphins chose him over Brees. Brees has good stats one year on the Chargers but they never thought of him as a star. 

They drafted Rivers prior to the 2004 season because Brees had a poor 2003, his 3rd in the league.  He had a great 2004 and a very good 2005, but suffered an injury to his throwing shoulder in the season finale.  So they let him walk because he was an UFA and were paying Rivers a ton.  And the Dols chose...poorly.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

They drafted Rivers prior to the 2004 season because Brees had a poor 2003, his 3rd in the league.  He had a great 2004 and a very good 2005, but suffered an injury to his throwing shoulder in the season finale.  So they let him walk because he was an UFA and were paying Rivers a ton.  And the Dols chose...poorly.

Thanks for clearing the years up. But again I think he was only a very good QB one of five years. I watched them a lot those years. Even in 2004 when he had great stats he didn't look like the guy we know him as. He was good but not great. The next year he was pretty good. Sean Payton really let him loose. 

Give me Baker or Mason, probably preferably Baker.  But I wanna keep Tyrod around.  And I think we can get either of them where we'll pick with one of our 1st's.  I don't think there's a QB worth mortgaging the future, like you would have for Luck.  I prefer we keep building the team, and upgrade where we can.

Every year folks who dont normally watch college ball catch a couple Bowl games and immediately start crapping on players.

This QB class has as much potential as some of the more historic QB classes. No one can say whether they'll definitely boom or bust, but when it comes to maximizing your potential and minimizing your risk, this is a good class to try to get someone. Especially if Darnold comes out and Mayfield has a decent playoff performance.

The Bills have set themselves up with the draft capital to move around into the top 10, without having to sell the farm. No more excuses. Git r dun.

15 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....don't they all end up being overhyped?.....wasn't the 2017 battle cry "wait 'til next year"?..............

As was 2016 and 2015........

The QBs with the spotlights show the warts and everyone moves away and then 3-4 are drafted in the first round because of the importance of the position.

This year will be no different everyone will find fault and then in the end scouts will look at the body of work and several will get drafted early and one or two will work out and one or two will bust just like nearly every year.

I will be interested to see who decides to come out and who goes back because if Darnold goes back - wait for it...  the 2019 class will be great ??.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Paulus said:

I think 5 QBs will be taken in the first round, maybe even more. If people are not impressed, then they are not paying attention. People bagging on Darnold are stupid and have no idea what they are talking about. 

He will go 1 or 2 overall. Probably, #1. Just letting you and the other schmucks know you have not idea what you are talking about.

I'm the first to admit that I don't. I don't watch CFB enough. I do know that the NFL is so starved for QB talent that you're right, he probably will. But I still don't want him on my team.Every game I've watched of his he's been HORRIBLE.

4 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I'm the first to admit that I don't. I don't watch CFB enough. I do know that the NFL is so starved for QB talent that you're right, he probably will. But I still don't want him on my team.Every game I've watched of his he's been HORRIBLE.

He had zero time to pass in the Bowl game. Scouts can see past the effects of poor performance by the supporting cast. I don't understand why people find it so hard to do.