Terry Pegula: "We Have to Fix Replay"

26CornerBlitz

But everybody I talked to -- and they're not Bills fans and they're not necessarily anti-Patriots -- they're all baffled by that call, which just wasn't consistent with what replay [should be].

Let me lay this out for you...

In a close game in New England, in which the Pats can clinch the #1 seed in the playoffs, the away team scores a touchdown to take the lead in the last seconds of the half where the receiver taps both toes in bounds while stretching out to catch the ball.  Is the league going to let the call stand, or overturn it on review?

Who all is baffled by that call?  I'm not.  It's exactly what you expect to happen in that situation.

• Sad 1

Good for Pegula. Glad to hear him speak up. The TD reversal was BS.

Actually, the Patriots got every single questionable call that game, and it’s not like they need the help! 

For example – watch that replay where Brandon Cooks literally bear hugs Micah Hyde and somehow Hyde gets called for pass interference.
At the end of the 3rd quarter, there hadn’t been a single solitary flag thrown against the Patriots… 

That overturned touchdown didn’t end up being the difference in the game, but it absolutely changed the momentum of the game. The Bills had all the momentum at that point and should have gone into the half with a lead. But instead they went into halftime feeling like they were not only playing the Patriots, but the referees as well (and many said as much). That isn’t right. 

The Pats most likely win that game anyway. They took over the game as it went on. They are by far the better team. But the Bills still shouldn’t have to battle the refs and the Patriots, too. They were fighting for their playoff life and to break a 17yr playoff drought and it's like the NFL did what they could to make sure the drought continues...

It’s not fair when the refs give every single break to a team who doesn’t need any breaks to begin with (the Patriots). The Bills aren’t good enough yet to overcome the Patriots and the referees and the replay review process being turned against them.

Just call the game fairly, that’s all I ask.

Oh, and fix this stupid catch rule. Benjamin caught the damn ball, that's all that should matter. 

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Let me lay this out for you...

In a close game in New England, in which the Pats can clinch the #1 seed in the playoffs, the away team scores a touchdown to take the lead in the last seconds of the half where the receiver taps both toes in bounds while stretching out to catch the ball.  Is the league going to let the call stand, or overturn it on review?

Who all is baffled by that call?  I'm not.  It's exactly what you expect to happen in that situation.

Yup.  As soon as they started looking at it we all knew it was getting overturned.  

This just in.....

If this were Jerry Jones team he would of made such a huge deal about it in all media platforms that it would of brought the topic to another level of investigation. Im all for owners not speaking to the media all the time, but when your owner never says anything about the blatant lack of meaningful calls against that team, it really starts to make you think why you even bother to care, when the Billionaire owner dosent?

Watch the Patriots get jerked on calls now that they have their first round bye and homefield advantage. The league will do it just to say that the Pats get screwed over too!

1 hour ago, Idandria said:

Yea Terry, that’ll turn your loser franchise around. 

Replay really needs to be fixed to prevent people from giving up on the NFL. 

Im already looking forward to the XFL coming back. I will truly give it a shot. What happened to the Bills and Steelers really make me want to find something new

And the other funny thing about it is both calls were made playing against the Pats. Go figure.....

2 hours ago, westerndecline said:

I hate saying this,

But until we get a real qb here we wont be getting calls. 

Anyone see tt get blasted.with no call also

Along with the first.down marker being the end zone apparently...

That's like saying that if poor people would get more money, they could contribute more to PACs so the politicians will start to pass legislation that doesn't screw them over.

The rules should apply universally. The field is supposed to be level.

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That's like saying that if poor people would get more money, they could contribute more to PACs so the politicians will start to pass legislation that doesn't screw them over.

The rules should apply universally. The field is supposed to be level.

Ur talking about idealism

Unfortunately thts not the world we live in

See Michael Jordan

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How the f### does this relate to who gets the call? In case you forgot, it was ruled a TD on the field. You don't reverse a call because one team is 12-3 and the other is 8-7. This is the dumbest excuse I've read yet!!!  God, the self-hate on this forum is mind-boggling.

As for Terry speaking up, good for him. He needs to stand up for this franchise getting crapped on by the league. He is one of it's wealthiest owners and every franchise is worth a half-billion more thanks to him.

Its reality man... Just like a pretty girl getting all the breaks or mj or gretzky

Institutions protect the stars

Get over it

We need a real qb

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

This doesn't happen anywhere on Earth. Why should football be different?

The only way things change is when the people demand a change. If you're willing to just bend over and take it, then they'll be happy to keep screwing you.

10 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

The only way things change is when the people demand a change. If you're willing to just bend over and take it, then they'll be happy to keep screwing you.

Let me rephrase, this has never happened anywhere on Earth in the history of man.  Realize the game is rigged to keep the top at the top.  It resets every now and again when someone sets the game board on fire but it eventually resorts itself with a different group at the top for awhile.  Nobody gives a **** what "the people" say until the people start showing up with guillotines.

2 hours ago, section122 said:

I am in the boat with you but it is exactly why the league doesn't care. If we aren't willing to vote with our eyeballs and our dollars they will continue to operate the same as they have been.

Agreed. We need Pegula and McBeane to get this right so we don’t have to worry about refs.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, they were tied going into the half.  They lost by 3 TDs..

I’m not saying we lost strictly because of the refs.  They made it difficult for us to win while making it easier for the pats to win.  That is a fact.  If they made it easier for us to win and harder for the pats to win I believe we would’ve won the game.  In an evenly called game, they win.  It sucks to say that the team morale gets distraught when constantly taking in the butts by the refs.....but it’s true and I believe that it hurt our play in the 2nd half.  This happens to us routinely.  Once in awhile we get the refs on our side, but rarely. 

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed. We need Pegula and McBeane to get this right so we don’t have to worry about refs.

I’m not saying we lost strictly because of the refs.  They made it difficult for us to win while making it easier for the pats to win.  That is a fact.  If they made it easier for us to win and harder for the pats to win I believe we would’ve won the game.  In an evenly called game, they win.  It sucks to say that the team morale gets distraught when constantly taking in the butts by the refs.....but it’s true and I believe that it hurt our play in the 2nd half.  This happens to us routinely.  Once in awhile we get the refs on our side, but rarely. 

Thats the sign of a mentally soft team. Tied at the half and you let one bad play dictate the rest. 

I didnt see that. I thought the Bills played tough right till they were gassed. What I did see was a coaching staff fail to adapt the game plan in the second half.

McDermott doesnt seem like he is a x's and o's type of coach

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’ve been saying the refs have colluded for the pats and against the Bills for over a decade.  Did you guys expect them to overturn KBs td?  Unless you haven’t been watching Bills games for the last decade+, you would’ve known that they were going to overturn it.  There was zero doubt in my mind they would take the TD away.  Same with the 4th & 1.  Because the camera showed the ball crossing the line, I knew they’d overturn it.  It didn’t matter that he voluntarily pulled it back (yes, it doesn’t matter, but not for the Pats vs the Bills).  It’s just how it is. I wish I didn’t love this team so much.  It would make it possible to walk away from this joke of a league.  But I can’t walk away.  Ever.  Sigh.  F the NfL for inevitably taking a years off of my life.  The refs are on the take or instructed to help determine outcomes (not just against the Bills).  There’s isn’t anyone that can convince me otherwise.  

^ this.  I was watching the game in Western Massachusetts with my wife's family, who are all Pats*** fans.  I got up and left the room to grab another beer as soon as I saw that they were reviewing the play.  I told everyone the call was going to be reversed and they all thought I was nuts.  When I returned to the room at halftime, someone asked how I knew the play would be reversed and I said "it's the Patriots, they always get these calls against the Bills."

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Thats the sign of a mentally soft team. Tied at the half and you let one bad play dictate the rest. 

I didnt see that. I thought the Bills played tough right till they were gassed. What I did see was a coaching staff fail to adapt the game plan in the second half.

Actually, the call that broke their back was the 4th down reversal.  

They totally stopped playing after that,  compounded by the weak PI call. 

They're competitors, but human.  After another one way call against them, they folded.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

They're competitors, but human.  After another one way call against them, they folded.  

Not for nothing but you see that forward progress given in every nfl game. He was falling forward. Its not like he ran backwards trying to escape

4 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Not for nothing but you see that forward progress given in every nfl game. He was falling forward. Its not like he ran backwards trying to escape

He pulled the ball back on his own.  There's really no debate on this play.  

As a player, at that time, your mindset changes and it was evident in their play.  

8 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Again, you do not understand the rules. Unless it's over the goal line, extending the ball forward doesn't constitute forward progress if you voluntarily bring it back before the play is over, which he very obviously did.

3 minutes ago, GG said:

He pulled the ball back on his own.  There's really no debate on this play.  

As a player, at that time, your mindset changes and it was evident in their play.  

I get what your saying but again you see the forward progress given at least 5-6 times every game. Its not uncommon

13 minutes ago, GG said:

Was that the same drive where Amandola's reception was about a yard short of the first down and the refs gave him a first down with no challenge from McDermott?  Romo noticed and pointed out he was short but the Bills just seemed to accept it and roll over.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Again, you do not understand the rules. Unless it's over the goal line, extending the ball forward doesn't constitute forward progress if you voluntarily bring it back before the play is over, which he very obviously did.

I understand the rule. Im just saying its not uncommon. You see it every game

2 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Was that the same drive where Amandola's reception was about a yard short of the first down and the refs gave him a first down with no challenge from McDermott?  Romo noticed and pointed out he was short but the Bills just seemed to accept it and roll over.

No it was when Lewis was falling forward andvextended the ball over the marker and pulled it back to his body when his knee finally hit the ground

2 hours ago, Direhard Fan said:

This will all mean nothing.  Under the rug.  Gooddell another five years and all that matters is the money.  The NFL doesn't care about fair.  It cares about money.  Shame they have wrecked football.  They don't even care.

...DEAD on....TV renues are locked in by contract......schedules are set by formula.....BIGGEST variable and NFL focal point is MERCHANDISE sales from a matchup.......could give a rat's azz about actual game outcome......

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...DEAD on....TV renues are locked in by contract......schedules are set by formula.....BIGGEST variable and NFL focal point is MERCHANDISE sales from a matchup.......could give a rat's azz about actual game outcome......

So your saying that Pegula is in on it as well? He paid 600 million more than the team was evaluated and he doesnt care about winning?

4 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

So your saying that Pegula is in on it as well? He paid 600 million more than the team was evaluated and he doesnt care about winning?

...where the hell are you coming from?.....the LEAGUE is all money, NOT Pegula....re-read what I posted.......first, when Terry bought the Bills, he said, "they're Kim's baby" which is why he wanted Polian to come in as czar and train her, but feathers flew.....HOWEVER, it did NOT preclude HIS interest nor his STRONG desire to own a winner......it was the game right before the London trip that the Bills lost....TP was watching Sports Center in his office and on that particular Sunday, two or three BACK UP QB's threw for 300+ yds and led their teams to "W's".....Roman and Wrecks were walking by his office and he called them both in asking, "why the hell can't our players do this?"......they had no answers......could care less if you believe it or not....doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me and I do NOT need to post BS after 55 years of following this club....ain't happenin'.....

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe on the field but not in the replay booth, and especially when one official consistently makes bizarre calls in one team's favor. That's called game fixing,

Yeah, because location totally determines human nature.  The Pats have been good for a long time.  They get the calls.  Should it change?  Of course.  Will it?  Of course not.

All professional sports are run by arrogant elitists who could give a flying crap about the average ticket buyer.  You're worm food to them and they always think there's a line of people just itching to take your place.  Wanna make a real difference?  Turn it off and go outside.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Yes it was the same drive

If you love football, just watch college. Guys play because they love it, even the good ones because they haven't got the big check yet. Rules remain consistent. I've never once seen an incomplete pass called a fumble and recovered by the other team until yesterday during the Steelers/Texans game. The fact that the refs had to have a discussion about an incomplete screen pass that was tipped by the running back and fell harmlessly to the ground tells you all you need to know about the NFL.

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Sounds like Super Bowl XXVIII.  Bills lead by 7 at the half. Thurman Thomas fumbles on the 1st play of the 2nd half and it's returned for a TD which ties the game.  Thurman is inconsolable, the whole team gets deflated and game over.  That team though had the heartbreak of the the 3 prior Super Bowls so it didn't take much for a "here we go again" outlook that perhaps affects these Bills when playing the Pats.

• Sad 1