Jerry Hughes has to step up NOW

Real McClappy

We really need him to step up big these remaining 2 games.

Since Mario and Schwartz left he has declined way too much for what he is making. I was hoping the last 2 years were on Rex but under McD it's actually looking worse without the mid Dline push into the QB. 14 sacks in his last 46 games is nothing to be all that excited about. He runs a damn giant circle around the QB every play and has not recorded a sack since week 4 this year. 

I know we are in the middle of a playoff push run right now. Asking fans, what is the deal with this guy and can he be coached back to 2014 form? He's slotted to make 10mill 2018 and 19. Do we move on with the 2018 out (5.8 mill dead cap hit) in his contract and sign someone new in FA?

Hughes.JPG

Edited by Real McCoy
image add

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

He wasn't the focal point of offenses in 14', same player, just getting more attention and he isn't good enough to overcome it.

I don't think he's the same player personally.

You're right that he's getting a bit more attention , but a lot of the times he has 1 on 1 and he'll just run past the quarterback opening up a gaping hole in the pocket.

Just now, Commonsense said:

He wasn't the focal point of offenses in 14', same player, just getting more attention and he isn't good enough to overcome it.

is he really not good enough?

Frazier so often has him speed rushing the LT in a semi contain.
How often do you see him stunt or spin back inside?

and we had Mario Williams playing for real and Dareus looking for a contract.
Team game Common

COACHING.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan11 said:

I don't think he's the same player personally.

You're right that he's getting a bit more attention , but a lot of the times he has 1 on 1 and he'll just run past the quarterback opening up a gaping hole in the pocket.

he is mostly one on one running outside the edge. not always, but mostly. There are reasons for it. but must suck for him.
He has gotten so close each game.
We really have had poor tackles rotating in. Washington for example. Till we got the run stuffing Coleman teams would come up at the A B gaps. depending on where Kyle lined up.

Lawson does and did  not pressure and or force the play back to the left side.
Only  a few times this season have i seen Hughes moved around as he does best.
Rex tried to make him a LB. He is pure pass rusher

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Team game Common

COACHING.

I was gonna pop bolded in the main thread too. 

Need and miss this

UnderPressure-102414-1.gif

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Team game Common

COACHING.

Semi contain? His speed rush often takes him well past contain, I can remember numerous draws running right into the void he created.

Do you really think the coach tells him not to utilize his pass rushing moves? In 14' trying to stop the Bills rush was a task, now it's eliminate Hughes and enjoy the pocket.

I said it back then he isn't good enough to be the sole pass rusher, not many guys are.

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Semi contain? His speed rush often takes him well past contain, I can remember numerous draws running right into the void he created.

Do you really think the coach tells him not to utilize his pass rushing moves? In 14' trying to stop the Bills rush was a task, now it's eliminate Hughes and enjoy the pocket.

I said it back then he isn't good enough to be the sole pass rusher, not many guys are.

Yes i really do think he is asked to rush outside  and try to curl the edge. He is  too small to power a LT. he is speed and burst

and when he is asked to do this it is a form of containing the pocket. you know that

Edited by 3rdand12

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Not asked to do it for contain like you mentioned but doing it because it's his best chance of actually getting home.

I don't agree. He is best when stunting and being moved across the LOS.
When he comes around the edge QB is tempted to move into that open gap and potential passing lane. It's a lure. The LBs need to cover the passing lane or shoot the gap

As a pass rusher, tryingto run the wheel is often unsuccessful. If you watch on the many times he passes too deep behind the QB, it is likely a result of a poor bend/dip. Those excellent edge rushers are able to shorten the corner by getting underneath, or going through, the outside shoulder of the tackle. Next time you see this play, look for the method of attack(dip or bull), and it's location (outside shoulder). If Jerry will continue to use the wide speed rush, and simply try to run around them,

I don't see.much success. He.will have to develop a much more competent inside move. I'm just not sure McD wants them breaking contain that way 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I don't agree. He is best when stunting and being moved across the LOS.
When he comes around the edge QB is tempted to move into that open gap and potential passing lane. It's a lure. The LBs need to cover the passing lane or shoot the gap

Kinda what I'm feeling now as well.

Just now, Real McCoy said:

I know it's so late in the year. Is he worth trying to shift around to mess with Brady's head?

Brady releases the ball too fast for that imho. I think Frazier palsy a fairly simple defense that really loves the zones as Sean does

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

As a pass rusher, tryingto run the wheel is offense unsuccessful. If you watch on the many times he passes too deep behind the QB, it is likely a result of a poor bend/dip. Those excellent edge rushers are able to shorten the corner by getting underneath, or going through, the other side shoulder of the tackle. Next time you see this play, look for the method of attack, and it's location. If Jerry will continue to use the wide speed rush, he will have to develop a much more competent inside move. I'm just not sure McD wants them breaking contain that way 

Good points. He just looks too small this year to turn the tackle and drive him.
as Real McCoy displayed. the quick twitch inside move is better suited. 

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Kinda what I'm feeling now as well.

Lot to look at this year in how the Defense is designed. Good fun though !

23 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Since Mario and Schwartz left he has declined way too much for what he is making. I was hoping the last 2 years were on Rex but under McD it's actually looking worse without the mid Dline push into the QB. 14 sacks in his last 46 games is nothing to be all that excited about. He runs a damn giant circle around the QB every play and has not recorded a sack since week 4 this year. 

I know we are in the middle of a playoff run right now. Asking fans, what is the deal with this guy and can he be coached back to 2014 form? He's slotted to make 10mill 2018 and 19. Do we move on with the 2018 out (5.8 mill dead cap hit) in his contract and sign someone new in FA?

Hughes.JPG

He's been taking the Ol'Maybin Trail now that worthless Dareus isn't here to occupy two blockers and help generate some real push in the middle.   This is the worst D-Line we've had since Jerry got here.  Our D-line used to go hunting and kill 1,250 pounds of meat when all we could carry was 80.  Now its grueling pace and meager rations.  Pretty sure Jerry died of dysentery in week 8. 

• Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Team game Common

COACHING.

He has still done stunts, I've seen them during games this year.  I re-watch many games and have noticed that they just don't seem to be working like they used to.

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

He's been taking the Ol'Maybin Trail now that worthless Dareus isn't here to occupy two blockers and help generate some real push in the middle.   This is the worst D-Line we've had since Jerry got here.  Our D-line used to go hunting and kill 1,250 pounds of meat when all we could carry was 80.  Now its grueling pace and meager rations.  Pretty sure Jerry died of dysentery in week 8. 

Hope we can get back to that form on the D-Line soon. I hate not getting pressure on the QB consistently. Very happy to see our secondary ball to help make up for the poor pass rush.  

I really feel we have the secondary to finally keep Brady in check. He just needs to be rattled now by a constant pass rush.

6 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Hope we can get back to that form on the D-Line soon. I hate not getting pressure on the QB consistently. Very happy to see our secondary ball to help make up for the poor pass rush.  

I really feel we have the secondary to finally keep Brady in check. He just needs to be rattled now by a constant pass rush.

If Gaines is out, probably not.

Hughes really let me down this past game. Thank goodness Adolphus Washington stepped up and took an incredibly dumb and immature 15 yard penalty at a critical juncture since Hughes was strangely absent in that department. I fully expect Hughes will step up and get into some trash talking with Gronk or Amendola for example, and take a painful 15 yard penalty as a result.  I have confidence in you Jerry!

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

He has still done stunts, I've seen them during games this year.  I re-watch many games and have noticed that they just don't seem to be working like they used to.

Stunts seem to work better when they are against poor D line players like Ducasse and Mills.

7 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

His only job on Sunday is to hit Brady low and late early in the first quarter.  Get the 15 yard penalty and give the Pats the payback they deserve for Tre and Losman

I hope he makes this Brady's last game.  I am not even kidding!

Brady does eat his wings with ranch!

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

he is mostly one on one running outside the edge. not always, but mostly. There are reasons for it. but must suck for him.
He has gotten so close each game.
We really have had poor tackles rotating in. Washington for example. Till we got the run stuffing Coleman teams would come up at the A B gaps. depending on where Kyle lined up.

Lawson does and did  not pressure and or force the play back to the left side.
Only  a few times this season have i seen Hughes moved around as he does best.
Rex tried to make him a LB. He is pure pass rusher

We need to be drafting a pass rusher early in the draft in April

6 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Team game Common

COACHING.

Team game yes.   Trust the process.    Jax will end up regretting taking on that Dareus contract

The owners and the coaches have !@#$ing sucked ass the last 3 years.

I'm not blaming him yet, or saying his effort is low. Hughes has showed he can play, Terry and McDermott have never shownthey are capable of doing what they are attempting to at this point in time. Sabres suck, and McDermott... I'm not even gonna get started him. 

1 hour ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

Team game yes.   Trust the process.    Jax will end up regretting taking on that Dareus contract

You mean the contract that we are paying for next year?

Edited by Ol Dirty B

8 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I know we are in the middle of a playoff push run right now. Asking fans, what is the deal with this guy and can he be coached back to 2014 form? He's slotted to make 10mill 2018 and 19. Do we move on with the 2018 out (5.8 mill dead cap hit) in his contract and sign someone new in FA?

Hughes.JPG

His play has not declined. He is a much better run support player than before and had WAY more talent around him back then. Our LB corps is way below average. Kyle is average now and the rest of that DL besides Hughes are backups at best. I think Washington is history. He, Thornton and Coleman aren't even good enough to play backup on most NFL teams. To be honest, Hughes is the ONLY quality DL on our roster besides Kyle who has declined radically. Lawson has shown very little. I do think Davis is a solid rotation guy and Yarbrough has that potential. Those 2 guys aren't better than Shaq, but the difference in their level of play in 2017 is nearly the same overall. Lawson is still too young to give up on, perhaps. I fear he may be the next Walt Patulski. I say keep Hughes and surround him with a lot more talent. He'll earn his paycheck.

Edited by GreggTX

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

We need to be drafting a pass rusher early in the draft in April

We have so many needs too. It would be great if we could get a good trade for Shaq. Both DT's, MLB (at least), another outside CB upgrade over Gaines and Wright (but keep Ganes) RG, C, WR with speed, power RB to take much of the weight off Shady's back and extend his career. Oh, and I mention franchise QB?

But yeah, we definitely need a LDE that can rush.

One other thought if Lorenzo can still play at a high level next year, he might make a better LDE than 4-3 OLB. I don't think 4-3 OLB suits him very well.

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

His play has not declined. He is a much better run support player than before and had WAY more talent around him back then. Our LB corps is way below average. Kyle is average now and the rest of that DL besides Hughes are backups at best. I think Washington is history. He, Thornton and Coleman aren't even good enough to play backup on most NFL teams. To be honest, Hughes is the ONLY quality DL on our roster besides Kyle who has declined radically. Lawson has shown very little. I do think Davis is a solid rotation guy and Yarbrough has that potential. Those 2 guys aren't better than Shaq, but the difference in their level of play in 2017 is nearly the same overall. Lawson is still too young to give up on, perhaps. I fear he may be the next Walt Patulski. I say keep Hughes and surround him with a lot more talent. He'll earn his paycheck.

Williams has played extremely well the past two games. 

11 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Hughes.JPG

Erm, none of the defense is in 2014 form

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

jerry is not worth half of what they pay him.

mentally challenged, one trick  pony who makes the  tremendous strip, sack, fumble once  a year.

has more penalties than sacks (3)

Great. I'll take that strip sack on Sunday for a TD please.

He's a fantastic complimentary pass rusher. 

But he's not good enough to carry the defensive line and create consistent pressure by himself.

A few years ago, teams had to account for Mario Williams on the other side (before he quit on us). 

They had to stop Marcel Dareus from coming up the middle (before he quit on us).

It's fair to question if Kyle Williams has lost a step this year too.  He's not as quick off the ball as we are used to seeing (which is the quality that makes him special).

Our D-Line has fallen off a lot since Jim Schwartz was in town.