Jerry Hughes has to step up NOW

Real McClappy

19 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

He has still done stunts, I've seen them during games this year.  I re-watch many games and have noticed that they just don't seem to be working like they used to.

I have noticed a few honestly.
But not sure why they are not working. 

Was hoping Coleman could suck up two blockers on the nose when the brought him in

12 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Jerry takes the long way home

LOl well done

The strength of this defense switched from D-Line to Secondary, without Gaines it will be a tall task this weekend. Milano is the bright spot at LB and is still young and developing. Preston Brown makes most of his tackles 10 yards down the field allot of good that does. Kyle Williams in his old age has had to step up and be the interior of the D-line and it's showing he needs that big bull up front to make his pass rush possible. Dareus was a big body that took away two line man and no one has stepped up to be even close to that. We need to revamp the whole line next year and add a few linebackers.

I think people are comparing this defense to the Schwartz defense too much.  This is a bend but don't break, keep the score low defense.  You might see more yardage given up then you'd like.  Belichick frequently isn't best in sacks, may give up yards, but his defense's are always good at keeping points off the board.  The stretch where this defense was getting manhandled was when Dareus and Coleman were gone.  It would seem to me that the DL in this defense is depended on to stop the run more than in Schwartz's defense.  It seems like it's not just a wide 4, get to the QB type of defense.  Where Hughes comes in, and I think he needs to do better, is on known passing downs and being disruptive.  I think he has been disruptive but he needs to be more disruptive.  Maybe rotate a little more and keep him fresher or even play him situationally.  I wish they played Alexander a little more situationally also.  As in let him rush the passer more and play LB less.

His numbers have regressed but he's still a workhorse. People levied complaints about Dareus's numbers too, and look what happened when he left...

Doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, but he does work on the field. Without Dareus on the line, he's really the only threat at breaking through to the QB or RB so he gets focused a lot. If we get a good DT in the draft or FA and some other pieces to share the load on defense, Hughes will emerge again on paper. Until then, stop campaigning to get rid of all the talent just because their numbers aren't the same as in the past.

On 12/19/2017 at 4:10 PM, GreggTX said:

We have so many needs too. It would be great if we could get a good trade for Shaq. Both DT's, MLB (at least), another outside CB upgrade over Gaines and Wright (but keep Ganes) RG, C, WR with speed, power RB to take much of the weight off Shady's back and extend his career. Oh, and I mention franchise QB?

But yeah, we definitely need a LDE that can rush.

One other thought if Lorenzo can still play at a high level next year, he might make a better LDE than 4-3 OLB. I don't think 4-3 OLB suits him very well.

2 pass rushers are not  enough. We need to have several of them who can get to the QB.  That is how the Giants won their SB against the Patriots.

Won't be surprised if these are the final 2 games of Hughes Bills career especially since this is the 3rd straight year of him not producing for this team. In fact as of today he has 3 meager sacks  all season which is lower than the totals he had the two seasons under Rex so there goes the excuse that it's the scheme. And pretty sure he was one of the vocal players beating that drum after Rex left.

Regardless his contract don't warrant the production and he's still a liability on the field anyway with his hot headed behavior.

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

2 pass rushers are not  enough. We need to have several of them who can get to the QB.  That is how the Giants won their SB against the Patriots.

in this Defense as well. rotate in the run stuffers edge setters as needed but get after it on passing downs !

Jerry Hughes is always been a poor man's Von Miller the speed rusher athletic outside high pressure Marcell Dareus was supposed to be the Bruce Smith of this defense that never happened I'm just glad he's gone and Washington is taking his rough cuz Washington is actually the better player another top-10 pick wasted

9 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I honestly think he has just regressed.  

it's a reasonable take.

6 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

He has been getting held a lot this year.....not making excuses, just posting what I have seen.

he has been getting since he started for Buffalo. Blatantly and often.
Thats why he used to flip on the Refs. and then they were biased against him. that was fairly obvious too.

It was just so clear and obvious LTs or whomever could not deal with his speed coming of the ball.

He still incites fear and gets a couple false starts from an  O line man or two. 

:)

Edited by 3rdand12

On 12/18/2017 at 10:29 PM, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Hughes really let me down this past game. Thank goodness Adolphus Washington stepped up and took an incredibly dumb and immature 15 yard penalty at a critical juncture since Hughes was strangely absent in that department. I fully expect Hughes will step up and get into some trash talking with Gronk or Amendola for example, and take a painful 15 yard penalty as a result.  I have confidence in you Jerry!

Jerry is a marked man, and I'm sure he's got one strike left with McD.