Beth Mowins and Jay Feely Calling Dolphins vs. Bills for CBS

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, RobH063 said:

Her name was "Your Dad"? Oh wait. I see your forum name now. I understand.

You know what I meant. Nice try though. Your dad did a pretty good job today. You should be proud.

Oh, how original on the dopey thing.

Edited by Dopey

1 minute ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Jay Feely with the homer broadcast. I felt like I was watching a Miami feed. 

this is just it.

feely had more to say that was worthwhile and she just droned on and on.  she needs more work and experience.  but she was not that exciting.  better than others out there, though.

for the record, i don't find romo all that amazing.

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

The problem with Beth mowens is she doesn't sound hot. If she sounded hot, or even was hot, guys would love her as a broadcaster. She has kind of a deep voice for a chic. I'm not even trying to be mean, just true 

And she is quite masculine looking and I'm not trying to be mean either.

i honestly don't pay much attention to the announcers, they add very little to the game. She didn't bother me except for the fact that both of them commenting on the weather all game was ridiculous. It wasn't windy or snowing, just cold. Big deal, it's december, it's cold in many NFL cities now.

1 minute ago, Dopey said:
3 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

Her name was "Your Dad"? Oh wait. I see your forum name now. I understand.

You know what I meant. Nice try though. Your dad did a pretty good job today. You should be proud.

Oh, how original on the dopey thing.

Oh man. You got me good there. Thanks for playing along.

1 minute ago, RobH063 said:

And she is quite masculine looking and I'm not trying to be mean either.

We should have announces like the Alberts that have their hair styled before each broadcast. Former football players in the studio wearing makeup? not very masculine.

7 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

Oh man. You got me good there. Thanks for playing along.

Unfortunately, he (Dopey) and other posters took it to this level.  It's not about gender.  It's not about "we can't have a female calling a sports game".  It's simply about the fact that her voice is horrible, annoying, like sand paper, and that she got the names of players wrong as well as not knowing and laughing at the tendencies of players. She (as well as Feely) were a distraction to the game time experience.  

Mowins being a female does not exempt her from criticism.  She simply doesn't have the voice for calling an NFL game.  She can work on learning personnel but it won't change that fact.

Edited by phypon
  • Like (+1) 1

Completely ignoring the gender aspect, I think both of them have obnoxious broadcasting voices - the tone and the delivery. You have to be smooth, regardless of your natural pitch.  There are plenty of women out there who can call a great game and could also do color better than Jay Feely. 

I also can't stand Spero Dedes with that phony raspy sounding thing he does. It's like he's invoking some kind of Inuit throat-singing.

CBS has a few duds in their lineup this year. 

9 minutes ago, skibum said:

Completely ignoring the gender aspect, I think both of them have obnoxious broadcasting voices - the tone and the delivery. You have to be smooth, regardless of your natural pitch.  There are plenty of women out there who can call a great game and could also do color better than Jay Feely. 

I also can't stand Spero Dedes with that phony raspy sounding thing he does. It's like he's invoking some kind of Inuit throat-singing.

CBS has a few duds in their lineup this year. 

I agree. 

2 hours ago, blatchy said:

That's my longtime friend Beth Mowins calling the game.  As a Bills fan, I'm thrilled she's calling this.  And if you don't like one of the hardest working announcer in sports, a CNYer who has been calling games nationally for a quarter of a century, well, respectfully suck it.

But glad to be here!

Suck What ? did she have anadicktomey? ;)

7 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I thought jay feely was the worst of the two. Annoying voice and absolutely no commentary. I thought mowins provided more astute analysis than feely. 

I thought they were both pretty bad but agree about Feely.

18 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I thought jay feely was the worst of the two. Annoying voice and absolutely no commentary. I thought mowins provided more astute analysis than feely. 

Agreed. I thought she did a decent job, other than saying "McCoy" when she meant Taylor - twice.

The play-by-play wasn't bad, and she did pretty well in analyzing situations and critiquing the officials. She's not as good as Nantz, but she's better than anyone on Fox. (I can't stand Joe Buck.)

Counting down the days for fivethirtyeight to write an article talking about how the 'grating' comment is 100% due to her being a woman/her gender, referencing evidence based neuroscience research proving many in here are sexist.

Granted, it's initially subconscious uncontrolled bias how you instantly feel, but you control how you respond to those biases. If they do write that article, and reference this board, some people will not come off in a good light, which will shine on all bills fans...thanks.

Edited by HardyBoy
Typo

4 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Counting down the days for fivethirtyeight to write an article talking about how the 'grating' comment is 100% due to her being a woman/her gender, referencing evidence based neuroscience research proving many in here are sexist.

Granted, it's initially subconscious uncontrolled bias how you instantly feel, but you control how you respond to those biases. If they do write that article, and reference this board, some people will not come off in a good light, which will shine on all bills fans...thanks.

Well, it’s not like she was any more “grating” than the countless other unqualified male announcers. We need more Tony Romo’s, and less of everyone else. 

3 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Granted, it's initially subconscious uncontrolled bias how you instantly feel, but you control how you respond to those biases.

A lot of people don't control it - that's one problem. The other problem is that many people don't even recognize it.

"I'm not biased - I just have strong opinions and I don't care about empirical evidence to the contrary."

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

i honestly don't pay much attention to the announcers, they add very little to the game. She didn't bother me except for the fact that both of them commenting on the weather all game was ridiculous. It wasn't windy or snowing, just cold. Big deal, it's december, it's cold in many NFL cities now.

Agreed, the announcers mean very little to me. Has there ever been a game in Buffalo where weather wasn’t mentioned? It seems like whenever it’s 65 in September they mention how “balmy” it is. As if 65 is unusual for September in Buffalo.