Beth Mowins and Jay Feely Calling Dolphins vs. Bills for CBS

26CornerBlitz

15 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Well, it’s not like she was any more “grating” than the countless other unqualified male announcers. We need more Tony Romo’s, and less of everyone else. 

Look at how those other announcers suckiness is described...the tonal quality of their voice, if mentioned at all, is mentioned well after significantly more important qualities, like total lack of knowledge of strategy, lack of understanding of the rules, etc.

Mowins might have gotten a few names wrong, but overall, she came across as knowledgeable of the rules, strategy, etc, and added some quality insight that showed she prepared for the game more than just reading national media. I enjoyed her announcing, and hope she continues to have opportunities to do NFL games, including Bills games, because no doubt there are some valid criticisms to her performance in this game, but they were minor (you guys really are nitpicking on most of these things, just looking for anything to back up your gut feeling, which is based on a sexist bias) and from her extensive experience I have no doubt she will continue to get better, especially when paired with a more experienced color commentator.

I think my biggest "WTF?" about the announcers was how they were talking about the fins like they were the ones fighting for the playoffs.  All game they kept talking about how they were fighting for a playoff spot and their playoff lives but the bills have a better record and are doing the same.  I honestly didn't get it.  Basically making them homers for the fins (obviously feely would be) but I didn't get it.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Your joking right. Her voice sounds like she's Myron Cope's granddaughter.....

I think my favorite twitter comment was "she sounds like a 13 yr old boy doing his best at sounding like a news anchor"

4 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Can't imagine any woman's voice not being annoying calling a football game.

Weird. I've never been one to long for a man's voice talking to me. 

Maybe you should do some introspection

3 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

I have problems because I'd rather not hear a woman calling a football game?

Okay...

Yea. That's weird. If you just said she's bad, which i'd agree with, fair point.

But the fact you're just going on about how it can't be a woman announcing my game is just blatant sexism. I mean, it is the definition of it and you do have a problem. It's not a huge problem if it's just this, but I'm not inclined to believe that. 

You're sexist. 

46 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Counting down the days for fivethirtyeight to write an article talking about how the 'grating' comment is 100% due to her being a woman/her gender, referencing evidence based neuroscience research proving many in here are sexist.

Granted, it's initially subconscious uncontrolled bias how you instantly feel, but you control how you respond to those biases. If they do write that article, and reference this board, some people will not come off in a good light, which will shine on all bills fans...thanks.

My GF hates her voice and I am 100% sure she is a female ;)

Something else to think about. Shane Battier after retiring has been announcing NBA games and did real well. Then he did a college game, and it went terrible, like dumpster fire bad. The reason is the difference in the shot clocks. With a 24 second shot clock in the NBA you basically have to fill 10 seconds of time with non-game focused material, and transitioning to a longer shot clock was crazy jaring for him. He actually got a lot better with more practice.

Mowins likely needs more games to account for the changes in play clocks from the NCAA to the NFL.

27 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Look at how those other announcers suckiness is described...the tonal quality of their voice, if mentioned at all, is mentioned well after significantly more important qualities, like total lack of knowledge of strategy, lack of understanding of the rules, etc.

Mowins might have gotten a few names wrong, but overall, she came across as knowledgeable of the rules, strategy, etc, and added some quality insight that showed she prepared for the game more than just reading national media. I enjoyed her announcing, and hope she continues to have opportunities to do NFL games, including Bills games, because no doubt there are some valid criticisms to her performance in this game, but they were minor (you guys really are nitpicking on most of these things, just looking for anything to back up your gut feeling, which is based on a sexist bias) and from her extensive experience I have no doubt she will continue to get better, especially when paired with a more experienced color commentator.

Knowledgeable of the rules? Nice block by DUCASSE. Replay...Duke has does a WWE takedown of a Dolphin and is lucky he didn't get called for a hold.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

As the president has shown, when you say something stupid. Just say something even more stupid. Eventually people won't know how to respond. And this is where I'm at.

What ever...the games over the Bills won and I still have my hearing ;)

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Weird. I've never been one to long for a man's voice talking to me. 

Maybe you should do some introspection

Yea. That's weird. If you just said she's bad, which i'd agree with, fair point.

But the fact you're just going on about how it can't be a woman announcing my game is just blatant sexism. I mean, it is the definition of it and you do have a problem. It's not a huge problem if it's just this, but I'm not inclined to believe that. 

You're sexist. 

You're so corny. So me not caring for the uncommon sound of a woman's voice calling an NFL game equates to me longing for a man's voice talking to me?

Men have always called the game, that's what I know to be the norm, and I don't care for a game with two women in the booth calling it as the new norm.

If you don't care, that's you, your experience isn't altered. More power to you.

Where I stand is where I stand and it's not changing call it sexist or whatever. I don't care.  

Initially I did not like the person announcing because ze sounded like ze was cutting a commercial track for a Fly Morning rush radio show. As the game went on I noticed I didn't notice that tendency from ze. I think it's because the bills won. Had they lost I likely would have wanted to smash my tv screen, which means the person was treated exactly the same as other persons. 

23 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Women can be biased as well. I genuinely want to see that hypothetical 538 article and the research (I'm going to loom for some papers now), because she really does have an extremely similar cadence to many male announcers.

I wonder if it's not that she's a woman to most people, because i genuinely want to believe most people here aren't crazy sexists, but that she is trying to do it in a stereotypically male way. I don't think it is right for there to be stereotypical male way of announcing, especially since women are basically barred from being announcers at a high level, but if you asked me to describe the stereotypical male announcer I could, and I bet it would match with others independent description.

Contrast Mowins with Julie Foudie, who is incredibly successful as well as a big time soccer announcer, and I bet you don't give her the tone comment. I know it's a leap with a lot of unexplored variables to make the argument that you dislike Mowins because she tries to do it like a man, but like Foudie because she does it in a more natural/female acceptable way. I am using this example as a thought exercise for introspection, and further discussion and exploration.

Edited by HardyBoy
Typo

She had a heavy American accent, that's for sure. I'm from Canada so cant really distinguish what state her accent comes from, but it was definitely noticeable.

This is not a knock on American accents BTW as I was just making an observation.

If I announced the game you guys would probably be wondering what the hell I am saying. 

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

She had a heavy American accent, that's for sure. I'm from Canada so cant really distinguish what state her accent comes from, but it was definitely noticeable.

This is not a knock on American accents BTW as I was just making an observation.

If I announced the game you guys would probably be wondering what the hell I am saying. 

I know we might seem divided on this board, but we all feel the same way about Canada :)

Im listening to the game on TV and I said to myself that she has the type of voice that annoys me (think Ma Kettle) and that I will not be able to tell anyone that her voice bothers me, because I will be accused of "hating" women.

I do not hate women. Quite the contrary.

I come pretty close to hating labelers and accusers  because of things like that though. :)

Anyway, I liked her and her voice because apparently I have to.  

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

You're so corny. So me not caring for the uncommon sound of a woman's voice calling an NFL game equates to me longing for a man's voice talking to me?

Men have always called the game, that's what I know to be the norm, and I don't care for a game with two women in the booth calling it as the new norm.

If you don't care, that's you, your experience isn't altered. More power to you.

Where I stand is where I stand and it's not changing call it sexist or whatever. I don't care.  

I wouldn't expect it to change. This inability to deal with something as simple as a woman calling a game is ingrained in people. It's also sexist, like the definition of it.

You're saying you don't want a woman to do something because it's not how it is traditionally done. 

Call me corny, sure, but I'm going to make fun of you because people like you deserve it. You, and I'm talking about you specifically, didn't make any points other than "I just don't want women calling my games".

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, HardyBoy said:

I know we might seem divided on this board, but we all feel the same way about Canada :)

Hahaha oh I can guarantee it. I've been told many times by Americans I have a thick accent lol. Definitely understand where you guys would be coming from

3 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Im listening to the game on TV and I said to myself that she has the type of voice that annoys me (think Ma Kettle) and that I will not be able to tell anyone that her voice bothers me, because I will be accused of "hating" women.

I do not hate women. Quite the contrary.

I come pretty close to hating lablers and accusers  because of things liek that though. :)

Anyway, I liked her and her voice because apparently I have to.  

I didn't care for her, but what you're doing here is childish. You can not like her.

But when someone just says, I don't like a woman announcing my game, it's not just about her. It extends to all women.

She can have an annoying voice, plenty of announcers do.

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I didn't care for her, but what you're doing here is childish. You can not like her.

But when someone just says, I don't like a woman announcing my game, it's not just about her. It extends to all women.

Joe buck comes to my mind when I think of annoying voices 

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Joe buck comes to my mind when I think of annoying voices 

That team is annoying.

I actually like him overall, but I kind of find Romos voice to be annoying 

I also don't mean that post to be an acceptance of annoying voices. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

20 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You sound like the racist guy who always makes sure he mentions his one black friend after saying something racist.

31 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Help me understand your post to me, in context of what you said to JMF.

He spoke about her voice, and that his gf also did not like it. Im my understanding to retort to those who would label him for not liking her voice.

Then you, minutes later, say that to me.

I don't understand.

That team is annoying.

I actually like him overall, but I kind of find Romos voice to be annoying 

Are you thinking of Jim nantz?

buck is with aikman and nantz is with romo.

unless I mis understood your post

Edited by billsfan11

7 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm going to make fun of you because people like you deserve itYou, and I'm talking about you specifically, didn't make any points other than "I just don't want women calling my games".

So what?

He can make any point he  wants.

Who are you to tell anybody what they,re allowed to think or say ?

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Help me understand your post to me, in context of what you said to JMF.

He spoke about her voice, and that his gf also did not like it. Im my understanding to retort to those who would label him for not liking her voice.

Then you, minutes later, say that to me.

I don't understand.

It's pretty apparent on its face.

I'm not going to explain it, I have faith in you thinking it through.

Just now, billsfan11 said:

Are you thinking of Jim nantz?

buck is with aikman and nantz is with romo.

unless I mid understood your post

Yea I wasn't clear. I think both Aikman and Buck have annoying voices. Then I switched thoughts to Romo.

Now nantz, I haven't heard a better voice since Pat Summerall. If anyone can be brought back from the dead, I vote him.

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

Yea I wasn't clear. I think both Aikman and Buck have annoying voices. Then I switched thoughts to Romo.

Now nantz, I haven't heard a better voice since Pat Summerall. If anyone can be brought back from the dead, I vote him.

Ohh ok gotcha.

And ya I agree, Jim nantz is classic 

On 12/12/2017 at 2:24 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes, and I thought she was horrible then.  Like a cheese grater on my ear.  I have watched her do a game since, however, and I have grown to like her.

Good call on the ear warning! Yikes! I think I got over it after a while, but then I got Romo and Nance. First time I’ve ever cared who did a game. 

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

Alright. You are FOS is my take on it. Good talk.

Not at all, put me on ignore. I'm not going to break down that post. You're being ridiculous just like how you came into this thread. 

Playing the I gotta believe this because people on a message board will label me card. 

I didn't label him anything. The other guy I called a sexist. And he is one, but you don't quote those posts.

8 minutes ago, richstadiumowner said:

So what?

Never said he couldn't make points or say whatever.

Just said I'm going to make fun of him for his antiquity. 

22 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I wouldn't expect it to change. This inability to deal with something as simple as a woman calling a game is ingrained in people. It's also sexist, like the definition of it.

You're saying you don't want a woman to do something because it's not how it is traditionally done. 

Call me corny, sure, but I'm going to make fun of you because people like you deserve it. You, and I'm talking about you specifically, didn't make any points other than "I just don't want women calling my games".

Uhhh, your little jab is hardly what I consider as being made fun of.

And my stance remains.

13 minutes ago, richstadiumowner said:

So what?

Cuz if it's stupid then you need to be called out for it.  Women should not be allowed to call a football game is a stupid opinion to have. 

Edited by Jackington
  • Like (+1) 1