[Misleading Title]Personal decisions this year- very, very poor

Foreigner

The personal decisions made by this regime continue to be so poor and call it what you wish; insane,

rediculous or whatever.

A unknown named Eric Lee was all over the field including the Bills backfield today. Where did he

come from? If you guessed the Bills, you guessed right. He appears to be a better LB by far than

anyone the Bills have, but our defensive genius Coach deemed him only good enough to be on

the practice squad, from where the Pats grabbed him on Nov. 11. He was called a pro bowler on TV.

How did you like Gilmour's play breaking up pass after pass, and Marquis Goodwin line today was

8 receptions for 99 yards. And another reject, Sammy Watkins another TD.

Why would another QB want to come here when he has what appears to be a bust (Jones), 

Matthews (another bust), Holmes (another bust) Benjamin (injured when he got here, duped by Carolina).

All our talent at WR were sent packing. This is really amazing and sad at the same time.

• Like (+1) 3

I've made some poor personal decisions.

But the personnel decisions I've made at work have been most beneficial.

I think the personnel decisions the Bills have made have been good for the long-term future - but I don't want to hijack your thread by going off topic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

The personnel decisions are tough, because we see these guys making plays for other teams.  But these decisions weren't about this year.  If McD can keep these guys believing, next year with the draft and free agency, 2018-2019 will be the start of something big.

They've traded proven commodities for unknowns. It's a time buying tactic. Something I'm very skeptical of.

Woods, Watkins, Dareus, Brown, all have shown they can play in this league.

Nothing, 2nd round draft pick, 6th round draft pick, and nothing haven't shown that they can play at this level. 

Guys. The future is now. The NFL is a now league, and with the decisions made this year, what makes

you think this group knows how to make decisions.

Are you forgetting , as long as Beane and McDermott have been in the NFL no one, not one team

hired them for the positions they are in now.

Maybe management made all the great decisions with the Sabres. Haven't checked lately, how are they

doing in the NHL?

The thought philosophy is very sound but can blow up in your face and you don't know what you are doing.  First get all the cancer out and people that aren't on board with total teamwork.  It actually is what happens with Packers and Pats.  Superstars get stats but not always results.  If you don't fit the mold you are cut or traded.  I have no problem with this as long as the Bills don't lose themselves again like they did against Jets, Chargers and Saints.  They will add talent next year and it you will see a lot of progression from past years imo.

20 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

The thought philosophy is very sound but can blow up in your face and you don't know what you are doing.  First get all the cancer out and people that aren't on board with total teamwork.  It actually is what happens with Packers and Pats.  Superstars get stats but not always results.  If you don't fit the mold you are cut or traded.  I have no problem with this as long as the Bills don't lose themselves again like they did against Jets, Chargers and Saints.  They will add talent next year and it you will see a lot of progression from past years imo.

This. You gotta be a professional and jump on board from the get-go. 

I don't like the way they have middled it. 

If this was a rebuild you don't give up the possible comp picks that come back in return for starters like Gilmore and Woods for the sake of fringe contributors such as Ducasse, Davis and Holmes.  Nor do you trade hard earned additional draft ammunition away for Kelvin Benjamin.  

If this was really win now you don't trade away your most talented receiver in the pre-season and then the key to your run defense when you are sitting at 5-2.... even if you see neither of those guys as part of the long term future. Darby trade is still defensible because I think he'd have sucked in this scheme in any event.  

If they had taken a proper rebuild route we'd be sitting here now, no more than 1 win worse than we are, with 2x 1st rounder; 2x 2nd rounder; 3x 3rd rounder, 2x 4th rounder.... and the real capital to rebuild this football team.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think the personnel decisions the Bills have made have been good for the long-term future - but I don't want to hijack your thread by going off topic.

Don't take the personnel decisions so personal

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't like the way they have middled it. 

If this was a rebuild you don't give up the possible comp picks that come back in return for starters like Gilmore and Woods for the sake of fringe contributors such as Ducasse, Davis and Holmes.  Nor do you trade hard earned additional draft ammunition away for Kelvin Benjamin.  

If this was really win now you don't trade away your most talented receiver in the pre-season and then the key to your run defense when you are sitting at 5-2.... even if you see neither of those guys as part of the long term future. Darby trade is still defensible because I think he'd have sucked in this scheme in any event.  

If they had taken a proper rebuild route we'd be sitting here now, no more than 1 win worse than we are, with 2x 1st rounder; 2x 2nd rounder; 3x 3rd rounder, 2x 4th rounder.... and the real capital to rebuild this football team.  

I more or less agree with this.  Holmes and Ducasse didn't seem like necessary pieces but they might have brought stabilization to the locker room, who knows?  If you don't have a somewhat stable locker room, you look like the Giants and Browns.

Dont be so hard on yourself foreigner. We all make poor personal decisions. Thats life. Hindsight is 20/20. The world is cold as ice. Be willing to take advice and sacrifice. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Basically every personnel decision they've made has been bad. 

Many of us called it then. It's what happens when you give a couple of nobodies full authority. 

Lets see. 500 record before so called bad personnel moves. 500 record after so called bad personnel moves. Feel free to elaborate.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PIZ said:

The personnel decisions are tough, because we see these guys making plays for other teams.  But these decisions weren't about this year.  If McD can keep these guys believing, next year with the draft and free agency, 2018-2019 will be the start of something big.

Please try to stay on topic.  The thread concerns personal decisions made by the regime.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Guys. The future is now. The NFL is a now league, and with the decisions made this year, what makes

you think this group knows how to make decisions.

Are you forgetting , as long as Beane and McDermott have been in the NFL no one, not one team

hired them for the positions they are in now.

Maybe management made all the great decisions with the Sabres. Haven't checked lately, how are they

doing in the NHL?

Would you prefer we hire someone who's already had that job, failed, and been fired from somewhere else, or would you complain about that too?

I seem to remember most people on this board being happy we got someone fresh, not someone who's already been proven to be a failure.

its 12 games. We're .500. These things don't change overnight. The fact we're 6-6 is honestly pretty damn good considering what this season was supposed to be. 

Considering we've won as many games as we have with the lack of talent shows what McD can do as a coach. Imagine what we'll do with talent? I know, I know, you'll complain that it's his fault we don't have it... but it was traded for draft picks for the long-term..... not guys that we were losing with, and winning without.

8 hours ago, Foreigner said:

The personal decisions made by this regime continue to be so poor and call it what you wish; insane,

rediculous or whatever.

A unknown named Eric Lee was all over the field including the Bills backfield today. Where did he

come from? If you guessed the Bills, you guessed right. He appears to be a better LB by far than

anyone the Bills have, but our defensive genius Coach deemed him only good enough to be on

the practice squad, from where the Pats grabbed him on Nov. 11. He was called a pro bowler on TV.

How did you like Gilmour's play breaking up pass after pass, and Marquis Goodwin line today was

Why would another QB want to come here when he has what appears to be a bust (Jones), 

Matthews (another bust), Holmes (another bust) Benjamin (injured when he got here, duped by Carolina).

All our talent at WR were sent packing. This is really amazing and sad at the same time.

I feel the Bills should act more "Urgent" and promote someone "Hot Blooded" from the practice squad to take out the Patriot "Head Knocker" in their next match up.

• Like (+1) 1

A guy they(Bills) were developing got plucked and played a good game against his former team...stop the presses.

Look the Cheatriots are short on LB's so they were plucking someone from somewhere....get over it.

RR made a few nice plays last week..... where was the we needed to keep a 3 -4 LB for our 4-3 scheme threads?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Many of us called it then. It's what happens when you give a couple of nobodies full authority. 

I'd say almost every personnel decision has been spot on. It's amazing how folks see things differently. 

Got to let the Beane McDermott era play out for 5 years before tossing this regime under the bus

Sorry if that frustrates people but we either commit to GM / HC combo and their build/rebuild plan or just spin our wheels for another couple of decades...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Have you ever had an original thought in your entire lifetime? 

Can you do us all a favor and just cntl C this" McBeane Sucks, I had em winning 3 games this year" and just cntl V in every thread, please?

Cause i think that is the only thing you have said in every single thread and every single post since the day Sammy was  traded.

[This is an automated response]The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

The word you are looking for is personnel not personal

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

The first time I read this, I thought it was diculous. Then I re-read this and thought it was rediculous. And even though spell check is telling me it's ridiculous, I stand by my words.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Please try to stay on topic.  The thread concerns personal decisions made by the regime.

Thank you.

Sorry about that.  Things just sometimes get away from me, and I go off on a tangent.  I had a difficult personal decision today, and it may be the same personal decision McD has each morning.  Iced coffee or hot coffee.  I went with the iced.  I got a jug of the Caramel Delight and just refill my bottle each morning.  It's a personal favorite of mine, but it does cause some internal conflict with me, especially on these cold brisk mornings.  My personal favorite for hot coffee is from McDonalads.

1 hour ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

I'd say almost every personnel decision has been spot on. It's amazing how folks see things differently. 

I'd say all the moves are wrong except the Benjamin trade. And not retaining overpaid non tackling 3 or 4 good games a year Gilmore.

Watkins(low cost)and Goodwin(low cost)are the pieces the WR corp misses most.    

Woods is 1000% better then Matthews.

Seymour would be starting.

Dareous would be healthy now and plugging the sieve middle of what now loosely is called run defense.

Ragland would be a two down run stopping force again for what Bills completely suck at now.

Darby would be a low cost fine back up, spot starter, nickel back, better than anyone not named White or Gaines.(Gaines was odd man out in LA and could have been had for a 6th)

Bradham better than any current Bills LB except maybe Milano.

Gillesse would have been the 2nd best RB on Bills.

JWill, see Gillessse.

Lee on practice squad would have been a force Bills lack right now.

DiMarco is not a good NFL player.

Tolbert is the worst 2nd string RB 3rd down RB in NFL.....how can coaches think he is anything other than a situational FB?

Milano should be starting.

Peterman start was too soon.(I give credit it was a ballsy measured risk to see if anyone can score with this putrid offense)

You are delusional if you think all the moves where spot on.  Many who think that way think all the traded dropped players were all cancers in the locker room. None of that can be confirmed from any reputable source. They replaced good young talent and now have one of the oldest rosters in NFL. That is not how you do a rebuild.

Edited by cba fan

Is this about being a bills fan?  I know it’s a poor personal choice given their personnel management... but I can’t help myself.

3 hours ago, BILLriant said:

Is it just me or where we bad when we had all these players??

Thats interesting and true. So the talent vs team chemistry and scheme  argument has some room to run there.  

12 hours ago, Foreigner said:

rediculous or whatever.

At least in regards to Eric Lee I would say use extreme caution emotionally. Every year we play the Patriots and some unknown from us or someone else has a big game because that is what they do. They are very well coached and have a lot of good players so even fringe guys have banner days. Jerry Sullivan use to do an article every season of the RB's who have ran for over 100 yds against BUF from NE alone and the amount of no namers is amazing.

It's gotten to the point with the Patriots I void myself of any reaction to their games because its like playing on a different universe.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think I ever said that. 

But if getting mad at me because the Bills constantly suck and make constant awful decisions makes you feel better then do what you need to do.??

Its just you have the same exact reply in every single thread. Its repetitive and adds little to the conversation

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

I'd say all the moves are wrong except the Benjamin trade. And not retaining overpaid non tackling 3 or 4 good games a year Gilmore.

Watkins(low cost)and Goodwin(low cost)are the pieces the WR corp misses most.    

Woods is 1000% better then Matthews.

Seymour would be starting.

Dareous would be healthy now and plugging the sieve middle of what now loosely is called run defense.

Ragland would be a two down run stopping force again for what Bills completely suck at now.

Darby would be a low cost fine back up, spot starter, nickel back, better than anyone not named White or Gaines.(Gaines was odd man out in LA and could have been had for a 6th)

Bradham better than any current Bills LB except maybe Milano.

Gillesse would have been the 2nd best RB on Bills.

JWill, see Gillessse.

Lee on practice squad would have been a force Bills lack right now.

DiMarco is not a good NFL player.

Tolbert is the worst 2nd string RB 3rd down RB in NFL.....how can coaches think he is anything other than a situational FB?

Milano should be starting.

Peterman start was too soon.(I give credit it was a ballsy measured risk to see if anyone can score with this putrid offense)

You are delusional if you think all the moves where spot on.  Many who think that way think all the traded dropped players were all cancers in the locker room. None of that can be confirmed from any reputable source. They replaced good young talent and now have one of the oldest rosters in NFL. That is not how you do a rebuild.

And this is why when Whaley went on his spending spree's/Dareus contract signed people said they better win and perform otherwise it will bite them hard. Bradham, Gilislee & Woods are guys who our cap cost us losing them more than anything else. Watkins production didn't warrant the contract he wants and the potential for injury because of previous seasons made sense in trading him. I still would not have traded him but I do get the logic and the return was good. Dareus was traded because of the contract more then his play. It's not entirely fair to blame McD/Beane for the current situation when they basically were handcuffed because of the previous GM's $ decisions.

I hated losing Woods & Bradham because they were consistent solid performers you need for a good team.

It's easy to look and say well this guy is doing well over here we should have kept him. The Patriots have lots of guys every year that show up outta nowhere because they have a good roster that allows fringe players to be highlighted. Your mad about Ragland but I am more mad they didn't keep Zach Brown who wasnt expensive. And not starting Milano will haunt them soon.

Overall its a mix bag and a lot of the current problems/decisions made stem because of the previous guy. The fastest way to reset the deck was to free up a lot of cap and use some vets on the fly to stay alive. This off season as I have posted is where the real work and impact good or bad will come from.

Edited by corta765

14 minutes ago, corta765 said:

And this is why when Whaley went on his spending spree's/Dareus contract signed people said they better win and perform otherwise it will bite them hard. Bradham, Gilislee & Woods are guys who our cap cost us losing them more than anything else. Watkins production didn't warrant the contract he wants and the potential for injury because of previous seasons made sense in trading him. I still would not have traded him but I do get the logic and the return was good. Dareus was traded because of the contract more then his play. It's not entirely fair to blame McD/Beane for the current situation when they basically were handcuffed because of the previous GM's $ decisions.

I hated losing Woods & Bradham because they were consistent solid performers you need for a good team.

It's easy to look and say well this guy is doing well over here we should have kept him. The Patriots have lots of guys every year that show up outta nowhere because they have a good roster that allows fringe players to be highlighted. Your mad about Ragland but I am more mad they didn't keep Zach Brown who wasnt expensive. And not starting Milano will haunt them soon.

Overall its a mix bag and a lot of the current problems/decisions made stem because of the previous guy. The fastest way to reset the deck was to free up a lot of cap and use some vets on the fly to stay alive. This off season as I have posted is where the real work and impact good or bad will come from.

I hear you, however, My opinion is if they kept Watkins Goodwin Seymour JWill Gillessee Bradham Ragland Dareous they would be vying for 2nd seed in playoffs right NOW just behind Pats or Steelers.    They then could have blown things up a little after the season.

This 18 year drought needs to be put to bed for all people concerned. Players owners fans coaches. It was right there for the taking in weak AFC this year and Buffalo Punted like losers do.

Edited by cba fan

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Have you ever had an original thought in your entire lifetime? 

Can you do us all a favor and just cntl C this" McBeane Sucks, I had em winning 3 games this year" and just cntl V in every thread, please?

Cause i think that is the only thing you have said in every single thread and every single post since the day Sammy was  traded.

scott feels that every move made should have helped this year.  it wasn't about this year...at all.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not exactly.

I feel they made some real dumb moves. Doesn't matter what year they were for. 

like?  i'm sure there's a very logical reason why some people were moved in almost every instance.  certain move were certainly more head scratching than others, but i think i understand why some decisions were made.  

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

I hear you, however, My opinion is if they kept Watkins Goodwin Seymour JWill Gillessee Bradham Ragland Dareous they would be vying for 2nd seed in playoffs right NOW just behind Pats or Steelers.    They then could have blown things up a little after the season.

This 18 year drought needs to be put to bed for all people concerned. Players owners fans coaches. It was right there for the taking in weak AFC this year and Buffalo Punted like losers do.

I get you you especially on this. What really sucks is they seem to most likely be blowing a insanely easy year and chance to make the the playoffs. If either CIN or NYJ were a W people would be excited right now even after this loss. Sadly even at 9-7 we need a bunch to go our way. And that is why I didn't want to trade Watkins, he would've given the offense another weapon and with Benjamin out they still don't have a guy to stretch it or go up for 50/50 balls.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sammy Watkins. Marcell Dareus. Mike Tolbert. Vlad Ducasse. 

The reasoning is they didn't/don't want to pay the guys they jettisoned, because they didn't "buy in". Yet the guys that didn't "buy in" are all on there way to the playoffs. 

Theyve basically turned a team that needed a few adjustments into a full rebuild. 

sammy watkins...i think we both know it would be very unlikely that he was going to be here next year.  i know people say the bills could have thrown money at him, but i have to imagine his numbers would have been lousy, and if i were him, i would go looking for a payday with a team that has a competent qb situation.  

dareus...i hated this one too, but again, i think we knew he would be here next year.  he was getting paid a ton of money and not coming close to living up to it.  he was paid to be a leader, and wasn't even coming to meetings on time.  they got a pick for him, and unloaded some money.  

tolbert and ducasse?  they're just guys here for now.  i'm not sure why you'd even use them as examples.  it hasn't been perfect this year, but they're moving to something different.  this team needed so much more than a few adjustments.  we've seen this over the last 17 years, and it just hasn't worked.  time to get drastic and start new.  enough is enough already.  i'm just so happy that you no longer mention mike gillislee.  you couldn't wait to tell us how the bills were rebuilding because they let him go.  

Look at this way.. The fact Mc/Beane made all these personel decisions and we are still looking at apossible 8-8 record when so many here were predicting a 3 to 5 win season after pre season is kind of an accomplishment (toungue in cheek)

Who's to say but if we kept Watkins Woods Lee Dareus and others that didn't fit the Mc/Beanes style or had a bad locker room persona maybe we would of hit that 3 win mark

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not everything is black and white.. We have the McBeane duo here so the bottom line is you let this playout for more than 3 years and see where it goes...  Yes its painful and yes its getting old, but we either ride this one out or keep resetting every 2 - 3years and spinning our wheels in the mud

Edited by ddaryl