Bills clueless about Tyrod Taylor article

Comebackkid

Is it just me, or does that article not make...sense? Like terribly written and contradictory all the time?

Shady not running much out of shotgun? Well, that would be a problem except his YPC under center is better this year...so...fire Dennison? Article is rife with these.

Also rambles through racial undertones of benching Taylor. 3/10 would not read again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Everything in this article is exactly this bills team right now....its very obvious.....last 2 years we had i would say top 10 in offensive line.....now we're bottom 10 of the league with pretty much same players...Our Run Offence was # 1 last season now we're around 25.....Our offence last season was top 10 or just outside of it and now we're bush league.....changed to this stupid zone scheme which affects mccoy and pretty much everyone else on this offence......yeah problem is coaching and it is so obvious......Defence stinks worse now than it did with ryan 2 years running....play peterman next game and you 100% absoloutely lose whatever is left of the lockeroom...how about holding the coaching staff accountable for this disaster unfolding...

"Anyone who still thinks the Bills were correct to bench Tyrod Taylor for the Nathan Peterman Turnover Loop yesterday need only look around the league. Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson, Carson Wentz, Alex Smith: all have either benefitted or improved this season because they play in offenses tailored to their strengths as quick-read or dual-threat quarterbacks."  How about this all those QB's listed are BETTER than Tyrod will ever be!  I hate stupid snarky articles written by someone who has probably seen three Bills games in three years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Is it just me, or does that article not make...sense? Like terribly written and contradictory all the time?

Shady not running much out of shotgun? Well, that would be a problem except his YPC under center is better this year...so...fire Dennison? Article is rife with these.

Also rambles through racial undertones of benching Taylor. 3/10 would not read again.

He does contradict himself a lot. And as if Tyrod was racially discriminated against here! He was the starter wasn't he? It seems a recurring theme every time a Black GM, coach or player is demoted or fired: it's racial. *rolls eyes* No wonder people are reluctant to hire them! This doesn't help their cause at all. And the the league is full of Black QBs, and the media drools over them. 

The cold hard stats, which don't always tell the whole story but are used well here, do indicate Tyrod is a least average or slightly above, and well, so far no QB on this Bills team has ever come even close to beating him. Cardale, EJ, now Peterman? He's miles better than them. And when he came up and had the 3 QB open contests, he beat the other two. He solidified his place as #1. Now design schemes to his strengths dammit, as it should always had been!

I agreed with the Peterman change. The team needed a spark. The management needed to know for 2018 and beyond. I think it's crystal clear: Tyrod is #1 in Buffalo, and should remain so for 2018! His salary will be big but on line with what a 12th-18th ranked QB earns in the NFL. No one so far has come up to oust him, not even close. Unless they get Cousins or whomever in the free market, Tyrod's the man!

5 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

He does contradict himself a lot. And as if Tyrod was racially discriminated against here! He was the starter wasn't he? It seems a recurring theme every time a Black GM, coach or player is demoted or fired: it's racial. *rolls eyes* No wonder people are reluctant to hire them! This doesn't help their cause at all. And the the league is full of Black QBs, and the media drools over them. 

The cold hard stats, which don't always tell the whole story but are used well here, do indicate Tyrod is a least average or slightly above, and well, so far no QB on this Bills team has ever come even close to beating him. Cardale, EJ, now Peterman? He's miles better than them. And when he came up and had the 3 QB open contests, he beat the other two. He solidified his place as #1. Now design schemes to his strengths dammit, as it should always had been!

I agreed with the Peterman change. The team needed a spark. The management needed to know for 2018 and beyond. I think it's crystal clear: Tyrod is #1 in Buffalo, and should remain so for 2018! His salary will be big but on line with what a 12th-18th ranked QB earns in the NFL. No one so far has come up to oust him, not even close. Unless they get Cousins or whomever in the free market, Tyrod's the man!

you basically just contradicted everything you said before that statement....nice job.

"spark" when you're in the midst of the playoff hunt? how about addressing the issues on defense rather than benching your starting QB for a 5th round rookie.

Edited by 87168

9 minutes ago, HT02 said:

"Anyone who still thinks the Bills were correct to bench Tyrod Taylor for the Nathan Peterman Turnover Loop yesterday need only look around the league. Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson, Carson Wentz, Alex Smith: all have either benefitted or improved this season because they play in offenses tailored to their strengths as quick-read or dual-threat quarterbacks."  How about this all those QB's listed are BETTER than Tyrod will ever be!  I hate stupid snarky articles written by someone who has probably seen three Bills games in three years.

If Taylor had any Wentz in him he would dominate.  

23 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

https://deadspin.com/the-bills-have-been-clueless-about-tyrod-taylor-1820609446

Decent article from deadspin.   Talks about McDermott being the one almost anal about playing safe, avoiding turnovers.

Not playing to taylors strength,   Shady not running out of shotgun much this year compared to last.  

Phenomenal piece. Thanks!!

2 minutes ago, 87168 said:

you basically just contradicted everything you said before that statement....nice job.

"spark" when you're in the midst of the playoff hunt? how about addressing the issues on defense rather than benching your starting QB for a 5th round rookie.

What contradiction? Tyrod has not played great so far tis year, and had his most horrible game yet. And I get checkdowns unlike most people, but not while behind 2-3 TDs! 

In the end, the Peterman decision was a fiasco, but it shows beyond any doubt now, and everyone had them, that Tyrod is #1, period. And to have middle of the pack stats in a team with subpar talent again shows he's a starter. People on this board saying he's just a backup QB are haters. Or think everyone but Brady-Roger-Brees-Rivers and another couple few qualify as starters. Note: there are 32 teams in the league! Most starters are NOT elite.

And while far from a savior franchise QB, Tyrod is the best QB here in a long while. To me that last game settled it. He's signed so can't go. Now the Bills' management should show him some LOVE until they dratf or sign the almighty franchise one (that make take decades BTW...)

The article is on with its points but there is no way anyone could view Peterman as a better QB when I personally have heard from members of the team who have said he was lousy just 3-4 weeks ago.  

Peterman is never gonna make it in the league. Book it

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Phenomenal piece. Thanks!!

I don't disagree that the offense could use a facelift, but 'phenomenal'? It barely makes sense, rhetorically. For example:

'Read-options, run-pass options, zone-reads, play-action, pre-snap motion—these are the tools smart coaches are using to overcome the traditional deficiencies that have crept into the NFL because of the proliferation of spread offenses at the game’s lower levels.'

Um, ok...what are the NFL's 'traditional deficiencies'? That might be worth exploring one might think, if only to lend a bit of credence to an otherwise non sequitur. And how do zone-read, pre-snap motion and play action, hardly new-age offensive strategies, have to do with RPO and why Taylor isn't being used like Wentz? Bad article IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't disagree that the offense could use a facelift, but 'phenomenal'? It barely makes sense, rhetorically. For example:

'Read-options, run-pass options, zone-reads, play-action, pre-snap motion—these are the tools smart coaches are using to overcome the traditional deficiencies that have crept into the NFL because of the proliferation of spread offenses at the game’s lower levels.'

Um, ok...what are the NFL's 'traditional deficiencies'? That might be worth exploring one might think, if only to lend a bit of credence to an otherwise non sequitur. And how do zone-read, pre-snap motion and play action, hardly new-age offensive strategies, have to do with RPO and why Taylor isn't being used like Wentz? Bad article IMO. 

It makes sense to me. What he's saying is that because of how college offenses are run now, o-lineman and qbs come in woefully unprepared to operate in a pro-style offense. Smart coaches realize this and gameplan accordingly. The "traditional deficiencies" are substandard o-line play and weak quarterbacking beneath the elite tier, which is a product of all the spread offenses (which are very, very simple and succeed because of terrible secondary play at the college level).  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Comebackkid said:

Decent article from deadspin.   Talks about McDermott being the one almost anal about playing safe, avoiding turnovers.

Not playing to taylors strength,   Shady not running out of shotgun much this year compared to last.  

They don't watch the games!!!!!!  What do they know?????  The 5 ints were not Peterman's fault?  Did you see the throw to Benjamin????

Trust the process.  Not about 2017.  This is about building something not winning? 

Did I get TSW's response to the article right??

Just read through the responses and yep pretty much what I thought......

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They don't watch the games!!!!!!  What do they know?????  The 5 ints were not Peterman's fault?  Did you see the throw to Benjamin????

Trust the process.  Not about 2017.  This is about building something not winning? 

You forgot Tyrod sucks!! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What happened too... we're better than 5-4?

That's not McDerm, that's Taylor.  He has been like that every year he has been here.

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Just read through the responses and yep pretty much what I thought......

says the guy who thinks watkins is a top 10 wr who will get 12 mill next year, (if he stays healthy).

Just now, Comebackkid said:

What happened too... we're better than 5-4?

The great white hope fell flat on his face :lol:.

It's okay Tyrod haters.  You can hate Tyrod, think he isn't that answer, and still admit that Nate Peterman was absolutely atrocious.  They don't have to be mutually exclusive.  You can think they both suck.  Please stop propping up Peterman though.  He was bad.  Really really really bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

That's not McDerm, that's Taylor.  He has been like that every year he has been here.

It has been Taylor,  but it doesn't help if the HC is in his ear about playing that way. 

A few sentences later, Benoit suggested this has less to do with Taylor (and with what Taylor can or cannot do), than with McDermott: “McDermott is known to be almost obnoxious in stressing turnover prevention.” Taylor’s interception rate (1.1 percent) ranks third-best in the league, even now. His aggressiveness, measured by passes to targets within one yard or less of a defender, is 14.3 percent, which ranks third-lowest. He’s been doing exactly what the Bills want him to do.

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

It has been Taylor,  but it doesn't help if the HC is in his ear about playing that way. 

A few sentences later, Benoit suggested this has less to do with Taylor (and with what Taylor can or cannot do), than with McDermott: “McDermott is known to be almost obnoxious in stressing turnover prevention.” Taylor’s interception rate (1.1 percent) ranks third-best in the league, even now. His aggressiveness, measured by passes to targets within one yard or less of a defender, is 14.3 percent, which ranks third-lowest. He’s been doing exactly what the Bills want him to do.

I'm not sure who it might be but wish if Taylor was in there I would see running and slinging it around more.  Can't imagine Peterman would be starting if Taylor is told not to make mistakes.

Excellent article........most of the points already having been touched on here.

It's hard to understand why they brought the guy back.....didn't draft a successor.........and yet haven't wanted to operate an offense around him.

Hard to have any faith in their gameplan operating this way.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Excellent article........most of the points already having been touched on here.

It's hard to understand why they brought the guy back.....didn't draft a successor.........and yet haven't wanted to operate an offense around him.

Hard to have any faith in their gameplan operating this way.

Excellent point.  I'm with you on that.   It's pretty much, damned if u and damned if you don't for Tyrod.  

Edited by Comebackkid

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

What contradiction? Tyrod has not played great so far tis year, and had his most horrible game yet. And I get checkdowns unlike most people, but not while behind 2-3 TDs! 

In the end, the Peterman decision was a fiasco, but it shows beyond any doubt now, and everyone had them, that Tyrod is #1, period. And to have middle of the pack stats in a team with subpar talent again shows he's a starter. People on this board saying he's just a backup QB are haters. Or think everyone but Brady-Roger-Brees-Rivers and another couple few qualify as starters. Note: there are 32 teams in the league! Most starters are NOT elite.

And while far from a savior franchise QB, Tyrod is the best QB here in a long while. To me that last game settled it. He's signed so can't go. Now the Bills' management should show him some LOVE until they dratf or sign the almighty franchise one (that make take decades BTW...)

The biggest thing the game on Sunday showed is how horrible the Oline has been all year.  Peterman almost got killed.  He had zero time to go through his progressions....heck, he didn't have time to take a five step drop and follow through on this throws.  He had people in his face, hanging on him, pulling him down.  And people on this board either aren't smart enough to recognize the real problem on offense....they'd rather talk about how the Bills just need to draft a franchise QB....like they're available in every draft.  It just doesn't work that way.

And Dennison....what's he doing?  Why not use your QB's legs to our advantage.  Quit with the five step drops all the time.  If Taylor get's hurt, he get's hurt.  It's not like the Bills staff and FO think he's the solution anyway.

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

EXACTLY!!!

Remember : Taylor's stats in the 15 games with both Watkins and Woods playing?

63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs

That was with good, not elite talent. The offensive line played better than now, but still had problems with pass protection. Obviously there was an excellent running attack, as opposed to this year's off and on thing. But just think how many Taylor Memes don't stand up looking at those numbers :

• Needs an elite supporting cast?  Nope
  • Checkdown Charlie?  Nope.
  • Won't throw to receivers?  He did when he had NFL quality targets.
  • Afraid to throw downfield? Are people's memories really that short?
  • Not accurate / can't process at game speed / not a starting QB? The numbers suggest otherwise.

With only a little luck, Taylor will find himself on a team a little more talented and a lot less dysfunctional.

Don't be surprised if he then performs as per the numbers above.

Edited by grb
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, grb said:

That was with good, not elite talent. The offensive line played better than now, but still had problems with pass protection. Obviously there was an excellent running attack, as opposed to this year's off and on thing. But just think how many Taylor Memes don't stand up looking at those numbers :

• Afraid to throw downfield? Are peoples memories really that short?
  • Not accurate / can't process at game speed / not a starting QB? The numbers suggest otherwise.

With only a little luck, Taylor will find himself on a team a little more talented and a lot less dysfunctional.

BINGO!

But the problem is that too many Buffalo fans want to "just" draft a franchise QB who will solve everything.  To heck with building a solid O-line.  Let's not worry about having a decent WR corps......why?  Because the "franchise" QB will raise this team on his shoulders and carry it to the Super Bowl.  It's mind boggling how short-sighted some fans are with regards to how you build an offense.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, grb said:

• Afraid to throw downfield? Are people's memories really that short?

Very good post.

41 minutes ago, teef said:

says the guy who thinks watkins is a top 10 wr who will get 12 mill next year, (if he stays healthy).

Do these people that just hammer the same points over and over tag out and then let a new person takeover?  It's someone new every week, but with the same MO...

20 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

The biggest thing the game on Sunday showed is how horrible the Oline has been all year.  Peterman almost got killed.  He had zero time to go through his progressions....heck, he didn't have time to take a five step drop and follow through on this throws.  He had people in his face, hanging on him, pulling him down.  And people on this board either aren't smart enough to recognize the real problem on offense....they'd rather talk about how the Bills just need to draft a franchise QB....like they're available in every draft.  It just doesn't work that way.

And Dennison....what's he doing?  Why not use your QB's legs to our advantage.  Quit with the five step drops all the time.  If Taylor get's hurt, he get's hurt.  It's not like the Bills staff and FO think he's the solution anyway.

Holy measured post - well said all around.  Peterman was getting smacked all day (er, quarter, or half...), granted that doesn't excuse letting it fly with guys in your face, but not like he was sitting back, scanning the field, then throwing to the other team (or at least not on all of those picks, that last one did was staring down the receiver - I could see his face that entire play from my seat...

AND you praised TT's ability - don't you know you need to love one guy and hate the other! :beer:

13 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

BINGO!

But the problem is that too many Buffalo fans want to "just" draft a franchise QB who will solve everything.  To heck with building a solid O-line.  Let's not worry about having a decent WR corps......why?  Because the "franchise" QB will raise this team on his shoulders and carry it to the Super Bowl.  It's mind boggling how short-sighted some fans are with regards to how you build an offense.

I don't think anyone wants to draft "just" a QB, but many of us want that guy FIRST before we start to add a supporting cast.  Obviously you need a solid line (and we have lots of picks and dollars to spend in FA), but more than anything we need a QB! 

TT isn't terrible, who knows what Nate is (I need more than one game to make an informed decision), but neither is a guy that makes you say THAT'S our Franchise QB!

41 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

That's because they see Brady and think, "That's all we need!  A Hall of Fame quarterback!" without any understanding that finding one is a crapshoot.  They also don't understand that Brady is successful because he has a brilliant head coach who builds schemes to suit his players' talents.

Even if we were fortunate enough to actually draft the next great quarterback, we still have McChuckleNuts on the sidelines.  He'd end up ruining the guy anyway with his moronic coaching.