[closed]Why the rush to Peterman this week......

Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That's the oc's fault then.  Tyrod was the QB, you scheme an offense that plays to his strengths.

And now the fans pray for a rookie fifth round pick.....

I'm tired of hearing the OC needs to adjust to a TT strengths.  I would think a benchmark for an NFL QB is some level of reading a defense and leading a receiver over the middle.  Many QB can throw the long ball-that is not a strength.  TT only strength to me is his legs-the only reason he is in the NFL IMHO.  He had 2 1/2 years to show other strengths with (3) OC and cannot do it-he is the same QB he was in 2015.  And i can't watch it anymore!  He'll make good money and have a long career coming off the bench-ask Frank Reich.  Maybe it's just me...

Edited by tonawandarock
  • Like (+1) 1

That's the oc's fault then.  Tyrod was the QB, you scheme an offense that plays to his strengths.

And now the fans pray for a rookie fifth round pick.....

They are looking for the QB of the future.  I don't think they want to change their coaching staff's scheme because of Tyrod's deficiencies.  They want to run a specific system and if he doesn't run it well then he's out.  They have put themselves in a position to be able to do that drafting Peterman, who seems to fit the scheme better and having multiple high picks in the draft that they can use to find the right QB for their system.  Tyrod would need a completely different system and coaches don't usually want to change their system completely.  It's not like Tyrod has proven to be a great QB in the past.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Or does the Bills front office not care about the playoffs?

I am not a Tyrod fan.  I am more one who has questioned the FO, coaching, OC and play calling (check my threads & posts).

Very simply I thought the FO was while not tanking the season, were more then content if they did go 4-12.

The great start changed the narrative, but many still liked the talk about McDermott, discipline and their type of player.

So now 5-4 and the playoffs on the line with the one winnable game prior to week 14 and they bench Tyrod????

Again if he went out and stunk up the joint vs. LAC you have an easier time convincing the team, fans & national media and still have 6 weeks to audition Peterman, but to do it this week defies logic.

I know there is a large segment here chomping at the bit, praying for a good game from Peterman and to be cackling and beating their chests Sunday night, but again why didn't they play this week out?

Play this week out? Tyrod  was lucky to even be given an extra year.  And again he's had several games where he struggled to move this offense. He continues to make the same mistakes that we've seen a million times. This is the perfect time to audition Peterman and I don't even care whether we win or lose tomorrow long as we start developing this kid. I'm in this for the long term,  I'm in this for the rebuild.

32 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Bingo.  

They were not sold on TT and the last 2 games were the straw that broke the camels back.  

Time to salvage the season now and explore the options for 18.  

I don’t think it was just the last 2 games. I think BB and McD weren’t sold on TT since the moment they got here but he was just our best option at the time and they certainly aren’t going to make a change when this team is winning games eventually being 5-2. The last 2 games were their window of opportunity to make a justifiable change. Now they can say they give him a shot and we’re going in a new direction.

I am not a Tyrod fan.  I am more one who has questioned the FO, coaching, OC and play calling (check my threads & posts).

Very simply I thought the FO was while not tanking the season, were more then content if they did go 4-12.

The great start changed the narrative, but many still liked the talk about McDermott, discipline and their type of player.

So now 5-4 and the playoffs on the line with the one winnable game prior to week 14 and they bench Tyrod????

Again if he went out and stunk up the joint vs. LAC you have an easier time convincing the team, fans & national media and still have 6 weeks to audition Peterman, but to do it this week defies logic.

I know there is a large segment here chomping at the bit, praying for a good game from Peterman and to be cackling and beating their chests Sunday night, but again why didn't they play this week out?

Tyrod throwing in 2 football games and likely a even worse practice for Taylor isn't enough for them to make the change? I saw Jim Kelly get benched in the first quarter cause of a horrible start then put back in and they won the game. 56-57 yard performance should dictate a change in QB in itself if there is that possibility of a better QB on your team.

To me watching Taylor play another garbage game DEFIES LOGIC!

The way I’m rationalizing the switch at QB1 is this: The stakes and pressure are so high and the downside to this blowing up in McDermott’s face is so tremendous. If he’s willing to take such a massive risk at such a questionable time, then he must be confident it will work out. 

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t think it was just the last 2 games. I think BB and McD weren’t sold on TT since the moment they got here but he was just our best option at the time and they certainly aren’t going to make a change when this team is winning games eventually being 5-2. The last 2 games were their window of opportunity to make a justifiable change. Now they can say they give him a shot and we’re going in a new direction.

I was trying to be nice to avoid being accused of having an agenda. 

;);)

We are on the same page 

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The Bills and McD hadn’t committed to Tyrod since before this season. So they were never sold on him. Tyrod was nearly a FA, they didn’t pick up the option. Tyrod chose to come back to the Bills while they were looking for other options. When he took a pay cut they probably figured, why not, and then let him see if he can run the offense they want to run.

It hasn’t worked, so on to Peterman the Bills go.

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There was talk that they tried to get Hoyer but he turned them down. 

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I was trying to be nice to avoid being accused of having an agenda. 

;);)

We are on the same page 

Screw it!!!

We did have an agenda and took ridiculous amounts of condescending, sanctimonious BS for it.

TT has finally gotten his comeuppance and a QB is actually slated to start the position. 

And, NP looks better than any rookie/ young guy , at that position we have had in ove a decade..... maybe two?

After the preseason I think they felt Peterman was a better fit for the offense.  Taylor has his good moments and traits.  He hasn't turnover the ball but has wasted multiple turnovers and field position.  The defense was able to hide a lot of issues the offense was having by getting a bunch of turnovers.  Taylor is not being given an angle to break the pocket and now 2 weeks in a row has been pretty much shut down facing standard zone defenses in passing situations.  He is not showing the ability to process the information or at minimum adjusting to the look and figuring out the way to beat it.  LAC's defense would give the offense a lot of problems and would have looked the same they did vs the Jets and Saints.  Peterman provides the ability for the offense to dictate more to the defense.  Short drops will carve through zones that is suppose to be Peterman's strength.  So that leads to Peterman being the best option Sunday.  The future and draft implications are just gravy.  The Bills are no more likely to lose to LaC with Peterman than they were going to win Taylor.  In Sports at almost every level, if the younger guy catches the older in ability than the younger guy plays. 

50 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Play this week out? Tyrod  was lucky to even be given an extra year.  And again he's had several games where he struggled to move this offense. He continues to make the same mistakes that we've seen a million times. This is the perfect time to audition Peterman and I don't even care whether we win or lose tomorrow long as we start developing this kid.  I'm in this for the long term,  I'm in this for the rebuild.

This is the crux of the biscuit. Some, like myself, see us in a good position to make a run to end this thing. 6th seed with a full game lead on the pack heading into Sunday's game. 

Others like you see this as another trip on the rebuild train.  The 2019 draft is more important than maybe getting in playoffs this year.

I think MCDermott is doing it to win now.  Crazy and I disagree but hopefully he's right

But what's the rush? We got the kid locked up for another 3 years. Another loss ot two and it's over anyway. Try him out then.

• Like (+1) 1

There have already been a number of very good reasons to play Peterman THIS WEEK. Plus look at the schedule, if not here where?

ALSO: Who was Tyrod Taylor's Offensive Coordinator last season?

Sep 16, 2016 - The Bills named Assistant head coach/running backs coach Anthony Lynn as the team's new play caller on offense...

If any coach in the NFL knows where TT's weaknesses are - Anthony Lynn knows!

McDermott is making Lynn work for money this week.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Because, for the second time TT has been benched when the regime decided he wasn’t the guy.

The Playoffs were a pipe dream before the season started and still are.

The prudent move is to see what your semi promising backup has and set yourself up for next season.

This Defense looks shot also.

I think #4 might be the biggest reason...We might need more than Trent Dilfer behind center to make the playoffs this year.  
Let's see if we have something in the kid.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

There was talk that they tried to get Hoyer but he turned them down. 

Screw it!!!

We did have an agenda and took ridiculous amounts of condescending, sanctimonious BS for it.

TT has finally gotten his comeuppance and a QB is actually slated to start the position. 

And, NP looks better than any rookie/ young guy , at that position we have had in ove a decade..... maybe two?

This is my question to the Peterman faithful.... How can you say that?  He played 2 series in a blow put game.  I just don't understand how/why everyone is so confident that Peterman is the next great QB.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tonawandarock said:

I'm tired of hearing the OC needs to adjust to a TT strengths.  I would think a benchmark for an NFL QB is some level of reading a defense and leading a receiver over the middle.  Many QB can throw the long ball-that is not a strength.  TT only strength to me is his legs-the only reason he is in the NFL IMHO.  He had 2 1/2 years to show other strengths with (3) OC and cannot do it-he is the same QB he was in 2015.  And i can't watch it anymore!  He'll make good money and have a long career coming off the bench-ask Frank Reich.  Maybe it's just me...

Sure make peyton Manning and Tom Brady read option rollout running QBs.  Great idea.

11 minutes ago, Dan said:

This is my question to the Peterman faithful.... How can you say that?  He played 2 series in a blow put game.  I just don't understand how/why everyone is so confident that Peterman is the next great QB.  

I think it's more optimism about Peterman actually being able to throw to our WRs and sustain drives, than it is thinking he's the next great QB. I mean, he's going to have to be absolutely awful to do less than TT. And, even if he is awful, oh well, as we definitely weren't going anywhere other than 6-10 or 7-9 with Tyrod.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Five words. Seven Sacks By The Jets. NP will get the ball out in rhythm, helps OL, Run game and by staying on field the defense.

That's funny....  All the rookie 5th rond icks who started have lit it up and can read D's and complete passes.  

Wow talk about blind Faith.....

1 minute ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

I think it's more optimism about Peterman actually being able to throw to our WRs and sustain drives, than it is thinking he's the next great QB. I mean, he's going to have to be absolutely awful to do less than TT. And, even if he is awful, oh well, as we definitely weren't going anywhere other than 6-10 or 7-9 with Tyrod.

The Bills even with decimating the offense and lousy play calling are 5-4.....

The question is why no wait a week?  Because if Tyrod played well they couldn't make a change....  And play out the masterful draft strategy?

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That's funny....  All the rookie 5th rond icks who started have lit it up and can read D's and complete passes.  

The question is why not wait a week?  Because if Tyrod played well they couldn't make a change....  And play out the masterful draft strategy?

5 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

I guess I get that.  And, as a Bills fan, I truly hope he can and does excel.  I just don't get the euphoria around it.  Maybe, I'm just too jaded, but I've seen far more rookie QBs fail than succeed.  And given that we have almost no actual game footage to go on, I really don't understand the certainty that so many posters seem to have.

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

The bar is Low!!!! I admit it. This is a function of how poorly we have brought in QB prospects as a team. There have been numerous threads about this the past few years.

Off the top of my head, NP has looked better than :

C. Jones

EJ

JP

The last guy who looked competent was Trent. As a beginner he showed something.

Then he took that hit/ concussion and he was finished.

Todd Collins? Not!!!

Im not saying he’s great or that I know he will do anything.

I’m simply asking what young guy has looked better than him? 

Im hoping for 1 TD, 225 ish leading to an opened up run game and 3 FGs added in there and it’s been a successful debut.

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The question is why no wait a week?  Because if Tyrod played well they couldn't make a change....  And play out the masterful draft strategy?

You mean wait a week so we can see 75 more ball pats and WRs waving their arms while standing in the middle of the field wide open? Wait a week so Tyrod can throw for 120 yards and we can be 5-5? Can you honestly say you don't get 100% frustrated watching him play QB? Are the two to three good plays he makes each game enough to leave you wanting more?

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

I guess I get that.  And, as a Bills fan, I truly hope he can and does excel.  I just don't get the euphoria around it.  Maybe, I'm just too jaded, but I've seen far more rookie QBs fail than succeed.  And given that we have almost no actual game footage to go on, I really don't understand the certainty that so many posters seem to have.

I get that too. Nobody can be certain, but there's a sense of hope and excitement because there's a CHANCE he may do well, which is potential for a huge change of pace over the TT mediocrity. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The bar is Low!!!! I admit it. This is a function of how poorly we have brought in QB prospects as a team. There have been numerous threads about this the past few years.

Off the top of my head, NP has looked better than :

C. Jones

EJ

JP

The last guy who looked competent was Trent. As a beginner he showed something.

Then he took that hit/ concussion and he was finished.

Todd Collins? Not!!!

Im not saying he’s great or that I know he will do anything.

I’m simply asking what young guy has looked better than him? 

Im hoping for 1 TD, 225 ish leading to an opened up run game and 3 FGs added in there and it’s been a successful debut.

7 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

You mean wait a week so we can see 75 more ball pats and WRs waving their arms while standing in the middle of the field wide open? Wait a week so Tyrod can throw for 120 yards and we can be 5-5? Can you honestly say you don't get 100% frustrated watching him play QB? Are the two to three good plays he makes each game enough to leave you wanting more?

I get that too. Nobody can be certain, but there's a sense of hope and excitement because there's a CHANCE he may do well, which is potential for a huge change of pace over the TT mediocrity. 

I genuinely hope everyone is right.  I'll certainly be watching intently.  

My only ask... Let's not all fall apart when the kid struggles.   If he does have it, it's going to take me than a game or 2.

Its very simple.......   Calculated risk....

The calculation is that TT total production passing and running average is less than 215 yards per game.

That is not a recipe to win.  

Calculated risk, does Peterman produce more than 215 yards?  

The coach thinks so.  And, possibly believes that the other teams wont crowd the line of scrimmage as much so the running game has a chance.  

I say why not, I like Peterman a lot  but understand we have not seen him in a real game yet.  But, whats the difference limping into the playoffs to get beat up the first game is no great thing either.  Peterman does not need to be Dan Marino just throw the ball well enough to get the other team to play honest.  

35 minutes ago, tonawandarock said:

??????  was that a dis?  if it was they would certainly be more accurate throwing the ball-and not just to the running backs!

No someone said the QB should adapt to the offense.....  I was pointing out if a OC tried to make Brady or Manning running QB's it would fail.....

It was a silly comment and post.

19 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Its very simple.......   Calculated risk....

The calculation is that TT total production passing and running average is less than 215 yards per game.

That is not a recipe to win.  

Calculated risk, does Peterman produce more than 215 yards?  

The coach thinks so.  And, possibly believes that the other teams wont crowd the line of scrimmage as much so the running game has a chance.  

I say why not, I like Peterman a lot  but understand we have not seen him in a real game yet.  But, whats the difference limping into the playoffs to get beat up the first game is no great thing either.  Peterman does not need to be Dan Marino just throw the ball well enough to get the other team to play honest.  

Loser mentality from a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 17 years.  

The 215 had many posters saying yards didn't matter, nor passing, just W's...... 

38 minutes ago, Dan said:

How many rookie 5th round QB's succeeded in their first start?  BTW Tom Brady was 1 for 3 in his rookie year, before someone says something.....

Edited by Billsfan1972

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No someone said the QB should adapt to the offense.....  I was pointing out if a OC tried to make Brady or Manning running QB's it would fail.....

The 215 had many posters saying yards didn't matter, nor passing, just W's...... 

How many rookie 5th round QB's succeeded in their first start?

The coach said it is a calculated risk.  He thinks Peterman might run the offense better.    We'll see what happens.  You don't like it apply for the job

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How many rookie 5th round QB's succeeded in their first start?

Not a loser mentality.  One form someone who has actually watched the the games this year.  Think about it, a QB that produces a total of 215 yards a game in a way that cripples the run.  Misses open receivers, doesn't hit open receiver in stride, doesn't throw to open receivers.  I guess I fail to see the up side.  

There is no rule saying that if Peterman craps the bed he wont be benched.  

1 hour ago, Billzebubba said:

If we win it will be a great Hauchka day

He has to play lights out for the rest of season for there to be ANY chance. 

If I had my druthers he’d give us 5 FGs tomorrow.

Maybe the play calling has been dictated by TTs inability and not the other way about?

1 hour ago, DisplacedBillsFan said: