Was the move at QB a good move or bad move?

Was the Change at QB a good move or Bad move?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Since it seems everybody has a opinion was the move at QB to Peterman from Taylor a good move or bad. Lets get on the record before Sundays game.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/19/2017 at 09:05 PM

We don't know yet. That playoff spot is wide open for the Bills, and if Peterman gets them there, then it's a solid move. If he stinks up the joint, not so much.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Negative said:

Terrible move. Sitting in a wild card spot. Putting in a rookie QB.  Just when we thought the Bills were getting smart

I kinda feel like this. But we'll see. Ending this insane drought to me is the most important thing. Those who say "build a contender"-we may never be a contender again. This is the best chance for a WC in years.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

We don't know yet. That playoff spot is wide open for the Bills, and if Peterman gets them there, then it's a solid move. If he stinks up the joint, not so much.

I kinda feel like this. But we'll see. Ending this insane drought to me is the most important thing. Those who say "build a contender"-we may never be a contender again. This is the best chance for a WC in years.

JM,

Your still clinging to the inevitable that many told you would be the reality from BBMB days to here. Those who say getting to a WC is all that is important are short sighted and have no vision.

Fortunately, this coaching has vision and not the bone headed win now mentality that just inevitably gets them canned.

Tyrod Taylor flat out is not a franchise QB for the Buffalo Bills. I could see it in all honesty after his first 8-10 games in 2015.

Edited by Real McCoy

2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

JM,

Your still clinging to the inevitable that many told you would be the reality from BBMB days to here. Those who say getting to a WC is all that is important are short sightedand have no vision.

Fortunately, this coaching has vision and not the bone headed win now mentality that just inevitably gets them canned.

Tyrod Taylor flat out is not a franchise QB for the Buffalo Bills. I could see it in all honesty after his first 8-10 games in 2015.

No one has said he is a franchise QB. But 20-18 for an average at best team isn't terrible.Breaking this drought is very important. We have no idea if this HC or management is the answer yet.Boneheaded-being the HC that ends the ridiculous drought would make him a hero.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cash said:

I'm in the 8.3% of people (so far) who said bad move.  We'll see - hopefully I'm wrong.  For the record, I'm only considering this season/this year's team.  It's possible that Peterman is the worst QB since Jeff Tuel and we lose out, but that leads to some franchise savior QB in the draft or whatever.  But I choose to hold McDermott accountable to his stated rationale, which is to improve the team now, and I don't think it will.  Again, I'll be happy if I'm wrong on this one.

Tyrod's play against the Saints was indefensible, and I won't try to defend it.  He was terrible.  However, I thought he was one of the very few Bills who actually played well against the Jets, and I don't really understand why 2 straight total team collapses seem to be 100% the fault of the QB?  Is Peterman going to fix the lack of a pass rush, the inability to stop the run, or the inability of the O-line to run block?  Could any QB fix those?  

Jerry Hughes, Shaq Lawson, Kyle Williams, and Adolphus Washington have been invisible for weeks.  If McDermott thinks this team is so much better than 5 wins, where's the accountability for them?  

there is so much common sense in this post I don't even know how to handle it. 

10 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

JM,

Your still clinging to the inevitable that many told you would be the reality from BBMB days to here. Those who say getting to a WC is all that is important are short sightedand have no vision.

I know it may be hard for some to comprehend but doing what it takes to sneak into the WC this year doesn't mean that the team would inevitably suffer long term.

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I know it may be hard for some to comprehend but doing what it takes to sneak into the WC this year doesn't mean that the team would inevitably suffer long term.

Sorry to say 16 years has proven you wrong and that is what should be comprehended with the win now mentality.  Knowing who to properly use/spend your many drafts picks next year to build a team can change everything for the future of our team. 

I'm just glad to see we have a coaching staff and FO that actually understands what needs to happen going forward to make the team better overall. Actually, while typing this I finally now "Trust the Process" seeing what we are trying to do. It's 180* different from all the failed regimes we have entertained post Wade.

Lastly, I personally think Nate will play 3X better than Tyrod but that will come in time. 

Edited by Real McCoy

If you can't throw for at least 100 yds in any game you play for 3 or more quarters, its a no brainer. Start the next guy

heck I'd say in a half of play any QB in this league should be able ot put up 100, unless the running game is working rediculoulsy well

Edited by ddaryl

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Sorry to say but 16 years has proven you wrong and that it what should be comprehended with the win now mentality.  Knowing who to properly use/spend your many drafts picks next year to build a team can change everything for the future of our team. 

I'm just glad to see we having a coaching staff and FO that actually understands what needs to happen going forward to make the team better overall. Actually, while typing this I finally now "Trust the Process" seeing what we are trying to do. It's 180* different from all the failed regimes we have entertained post Wade. 

correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't sneaking into the playoff with new coach and huge roster turnover be trending in the right direction?... while still have plenty of draft picks to go get whomever they deem fit.

what a novel concept.

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't sneaking into the playoff with new coach and huge roster turnover be trending in the right direction?... while still have plenty of draft picks to go get whomever they deem fit.

what a novel concept.

Just glad McD doesn't have the same mentality towards this as you. I really don't need to justify it, coach has already given his explanation as to why and I 1000% agree and support his decision.

There is nothing Novel or "new" about your concept as it's a proven failed concept many, many times trying to back into the playoffs with a mediocre QB.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Just glad McD doesn't have the same mentality towards this as you. I really don't need to justify it, coach has already given his explanation as to why and I 1000% agree and support his decision.

There is nothing Novel or "new" about your concept as it a proven failed concept many, many times trying to back into the playoffs with a mediocre QB.

so again I ask... would making the playoffs be a regression? how is it not trending in the right direction? and why does making the playoffs make our ammo in the draft any less valuable or our future any less bright?

I guess this all hinges on the topic of the thread. do you actually think the 5th round rookie pans out. I sure would love to think so as a fan of the team but history tells me not to hold my breath.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Don't yet know if it's a good move, but it's definitely not a bad move.  56 passing yards is unacceptable for any QB at any level. TT is great at improvising and getting himself out of trouble, but the trouble he's in is usually caused by his lack of anticipation and hesitance to throw to a receiver with a defender anywhere in the same area code.  Finally the Bills are not going to "ride it out" with a QB that is not getting it done, and they have the [foot]balls to make a change.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

i said "bad move" because we are in the thick of the playoff race.  Maybe Peterman is a total stud, but its just so unknown and so it is very risky by definition.  If we started TT and lost, then you can move on w Peterman and have plenty of games left to evaluate.  If you win w TT you are in very good shape for the wild card.

Everyone quick to say "so what if we get in, we wont do anything so will be one and done and be a waste..." tell that to the Tebow led Broncos.  Need to get in, then anything can happen.

Pretty much sums it up.  Not a fan of the timing.  Peterman might be better for the coaches.

61~8 at the time of my vote.  I thought it would be a little close.  I’m happy with the move mostly because I wasn’t looking forward to going to the game like I should be.  Now I’m super pumped.  Get the see the new toy on Sunday.  Hopefully it’s a shiny toy and not a broken one.  

It was a tough call to make a switch to a rookie qb with no experience  in the midst of a playoff run during an almost 2 decade long playoff drought. Eager to see how he deals with bosa and Hayward. This d is solid.  Kudos to McD for pulling the trigger.  Whether or not it was the best move to make the playoffs is TBD. ??

I understand the sentiment that the timing makes this a bad move.  Timing being in the playoffs.  After the last 2 weeks what would change on offense with Taylor under center?  Imo that is why the change is made.  Mcdermott is not going to Petterman unless he thinks the offense has a potential to be better.  That is really the biggest fix needed.  Move the ball eat up clock and score points all helps the defense.  Now here is to hoping Buffalo found their QB. 

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Sorry to say, 16 years has proven you wrong and that is what should be comprehended with the win now mentality.  Knowing who to properly use/spend your many drafts picks next year to build a team can change everything for the future of our team. 

I'm just glad to see we have a coaching staff and FO that actually understands what needs to happen going forward to make the team better overall. Actually, while typing this I finally now "Trust the Process" seeing what we are trying to do. It's 180* different from all the failed regimes we have entertained post Wade.

Lastly, I personally think Nate will play 3X better than Tyrod but that will come in time. 

Exactly.

We finally have a management team with the balls to look forward instead of attempting to sneak into the playoffs with a guy that wasn’t going to be here anyway.

Now we get to see what we have in NP and where we need to go from there.

Good because its a west coast offence......could be very very bad if he gets steamrolled this weekend.....my hope is he doesnt perform like a 5th round rookie vs 2nd best QB sack team in the league standing behind a very pitiful O line......

Edited by JPP

I vote that it's a great move for the sole fact that we knew Taylor wasn't the guy. Now Peterman may not be either BUT instead of standing pat, they are putting the kid out there to be evaluated. If he lights it up we've got our man, if he wets the bed you go after a top QB prospect. I rather this than letting TT finish out the season and trying to find out if Peterman is the guy next season while passing on drafting a QB 

Edited by Starr Almighty

55 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Exactly.

We finally have a management team with the balls to look forward instead of attempting to sneak into the playoffs with a guy that wasn’t going to be here anyway.

Now we get to see what we have in NP and where we need to go from there.

I couldn't disagree more. This move was made to try to win a football game THIS week because the Coach (es) didn't believe the current guy would get it done. Sure , they get to see NP and all , but if that was the motivating factor they would have played it safe and started Taylor. They would in all likelihood have lost and could switch to NP down the road. The difference? They didn't want to sink the season without giving it their best shot, and that meant sitting Tyrod down. 

Good

1. Maybe the O gets a spark with the new guy.

2. Before Tom Brady there was no Tom Brady, so is it possible we are looking at the new man?

Bad

1. INTs all day long.

2. The OL gets Peterman injured, and he can not make it through the game.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

I couldn't disagree more. This move was made to try to win a football game THIS week because the Coach (es) didn't believe the current guy would get it done. Sure , they get to see NP and all , but if that was the motivating factor they would have played it safe and started Taylor. They would in all likelihood have lost and could switch to NP down the road. The difference? They didn't want to sink the season without giving it their best shot, and that meant sitting Tyrod down. 

And you honestly don't think Lynn wouldn't tear Tyrod a new ass knowing every weakness and way to stop him? Lynn might even know that Tyrod has no peripheral vision for all we know. Tyrod was benched because he does not give the Bills a better chance to win on Sunday. Why is this fact so hard for many to understand? When teams force him to be a real QB he straight craps the bed. 

Edited by Real McCoy

19 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

And you honestly don't think Lynn wouldn't tear Tyrod a new ass knowing every weakness and way to stop him? Lynn might even know that Tyrod has no peripheral vision for all we know. Tyrod was benched because he does not give the Bills a better chance to win on Sunday. Why is this fact so hard for many to understand? When teams force him to be a real QB he straight craps the bed. 

I'm not sure if this was directed at me McCoy but I'm pretty sure we are in agreement here. McD felt he couldn't win with Tyrod at this point and particularly vs Lynn. I agree with the decision . 

This move was needed!

How many times have we all seen Tyrod Taylor go invisible against good teams for most of the game and then when the game is mostly out of control he manages to score in garbage time which makes his overall grade look not so bad. This last game he was benched in the fourth so he had to live with that horrid performance.

Having a QB that will push the ball downfield will open up the run game more so they can't run blitz, stack the box or they will get burned. A QB that can get the ball out quickly will help negate the pass rush and take pressure off the lines right side which isn't as good as the left. That Jets game in giving up seven sacks shouldn't happen again even though the Chargers have some good pass rushers.

Peterman doesn't need to be an elite QB like Tom Brady as all he needs to do is move the chains and make first downs. This Bills receiver corps was so underutilized and now have a thrower that will get them the ball. I'm excited about the young man and hope he does well in his first start.

8 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Was move at QB a Good Move or Bad Move

I think you should add an option for "makes little difference"

In theory, if there's a better pass offense it will open up the game for Shady, and if the Bills have the ball, it will help the D by keeping them off the field (since they don't seem able to get off of it on their own)

In practice, I expect the gains in pass offense to be offset by turnovers (ints) that seem inevitable with a rookie QB.  Which will put the D back on the field.

24 minutes ago, Young34 said:

Personally, I think that this move was not a great one. Our O-line is terrible, and it will be even more evident without an elusive QB IMO. Prepare for a season long sack fest if he doesn't get the ball out early.

It does seem likely Peterman will get the ball out more quickly, which will make the OL look a bit better.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you should add an option for "makes little difference"

In theory, if there's a better pass offense it will open up the game for Shady, and if the Bills have the ball, it will help the D by keeping them off the field (since they don't seem able to get off of it on their own)

In practice, I expect the gains in pass offense to be offset by turnovers (ints) that seem inevitable with a rookie QB.  Which will put the D back on the field.

It does seem likely Peterman will get the ball out more quickly, which will make the OL look a bit better.

That right there is key......hopefully he does so with good precision.....

9 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

i said "bad move" because we are in the thick of the playoff race.  Maybe Peterman is a total stud, but its just so unknown and so it is very risky by definition.  If we started TT and lost, then you can move on w Peterman and have plenty of games left to evaluate.  If you win w TT you are in very good shape for the wild card.

Everyone quick to say "so what if we get in, we wont do anything so will be one and done and be a waste..." tell that to the Tebow led Broncos.  Need to get in, then anything can happen.

People who know a lot more about the situation than I do thought about this and concluded they prefer taking their chances with a rookie rather than continue on with Tyrod.

Tells you all you need to know.

The idea of Tyrod winning a playoff game, on the road, in a hostile environment, against one of the best teams in the conference, with the other team trying really hard to win, is a joke.

I personally don't think he would have even gotten us into the playoffs, but that is now something we will never know.

Anyway, bring on Peterman. Let's see what he can do so we know how much deal making we have to make prior to the draft next year.  

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

It was a tough call to make a switch to a rookie qb with no experience  in the midst of a playoff run during an almost 2 decade long playoff drought. Eager to see how he deals with bosa and Hayward. This d is solid.  Kudos to McD for pulling the trigger.  Whether or not it was the best move to make the playoffs is TBD. ??

EDIT:  misread NewEra's reference to the Chargers D, thought he meant ours

Agreed with everything except for the unbolded which I'm not sure about. Our run D has been shredded to the tune of around 500 yards in 2 games since 99 problems was jettisoned. Is that a coincidence? Maybe. Hopefully.

The current staff has made a number of bold moves. The timing of this one was surprising to me since (as NewEra mentioned) we're in playoff position and personally I'd give Tyrod a pass on the Jets game. 

Overall I like the decisiveness of the current regime, I'll have to wait to judge their effectiveness.

Back to OP's question.  Was this a good or bad move? I'm a wait and see guy, but unless I missed it there hasn't been a major uproar from the players which may be telling. So I'll go with good move until proven otherwise.

Edited by SinceThe70s

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Agreed with everything except for the unbolded which I'm not sure about. Our run D has been shredded to the tune of around 500 yards in 2 games since 99 problems was jettisoned. Is that a coincidence? Maybe. Hopefully.

The current staff has made a number of bold moves. The timing of this one was surprising to me since (as NewEra mentioned) we're in playoff position and personally I'd give Tyrod a pass on the Jets game. 

Overall I like the decisiveness of the current regime, I'll have to wait to judge their effectiveness.

Back to OP's question.  Was this a good or bad move? I'm a wait and see guy, but unless I missed it there hasn't been a major uproar from the players which may be telling. So I'll go with good move until proven otherwise.

I was referring to the ChargersD

10 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I dont know the lottery numbers but  I know for a fact it was a good move, if nothing else Peterman gets some experience, we get to see what he has, and I dont have to watch Tyrod anymore.

Many Bills fans on this site defended TT to ridiculous ends before the season began and when things were going well. Eventually though, most Bills fans realized what everyone (not being politically correct) has known for a couple of years. TT is a 6-9 win QB. 6-9 wins won't make the playoffs and won't give you a top 10 pick. A change HAD to be made and should have been made before the season started. Buffalo had no chance of making the playoffs with TT.  

In my opinion it was the best move coach could of made. Before I give my reason let me say that I don't think Tyrod couldn't win the next game, but I do think it was very possible to lose with him in there as well. The season is on a thread.

Yes you start the rookie. The most exciting thing in my last two weeks of football was a streaker and Nate coming into the game scoring a touchdown in garbage time. Let's be honest or at least in my view Tyrods game was getting boring. 

I want my football entertaining. I'm not the type to be upset when we lose but when we suck it's not entertaining. I was very entertained at 5-2 and was fine. If I was being honest though I felt all year that Tyrods game was kinda boring. He never truly lit the field up in dominant performance.

Although I can't say the reason it's a good move is because Nate will play amazing. He could totally suck but it has that unknown mystery to it that will keep me entertained. 

Once you see that it was more for an entertainment standpoint you can agree with that move. I didn't think coach would do it right at the same time I would have. So I had already agreed with the choice before I was actually made.

Only if I was coach, I've of done my trademark clap when I told him Nate was starting and we are now gonna win. Then we would look at Nate's garbage time film scoring the only TD of the game.

Edited by Lfod