Rank in order the reasons for the loss last night

BillsFan130

Going to give out 10 options, pick your top 5 reasons why the Bills lost last night.

10 options- Run defence, Pass defence, Tyrod, No run game, No pass blocking, McDermott, Dennison, Lack of turnovers on the defensive side, Turnovers from offence, Penalties...

Here are my top 5.

1. McDermott- Bills simply were not ready to play tonight, right from the first quarter

2. No run game- Bills need to run the ball effectively to win, but just could not get going

3. No pass blocking- Awful all around. 7 sacks were not all on the o line as Tyrod should have thrown 2-3 away, but every play it seemed like they were getting there ass handed to them

4. Dennison- A big reason why the Bills could not run the ball in my opinion were because his stubbornness to run into 9 man fronts, and refused to change it up or get a bit creative

5. Penalties- The Bills killed themselves with I believe 4, 15 yard penalties and simply lost their composure.

Turnovers were of course a factor as well, but I honestly believe if the Bills didn't turn the ball over and if the Jets turned the ball over once, the Bills still would have lost. That's how bad I think they got outplayed

What do you guys think?

Edited by billsfan11

1) Tackling

2) Turnovers (bad luck?)

3) Offensive line

4) Defensive line

5) Offensive playcalling

We mostly just sucked all around yesterday. Pretty much a collective team loss. But the poor tackling and the offensive line getting absolutely mauled stood out. I don't think our defensive line would have looked quite as bad (statistically) if our linebackers and DBs had tackled like they had been up until last night.

Edited by TheBrownBear

1. Trench Battles - Both the OLine and DLine were beat up and had their lunch money taken away

2. Turnovers

3. Poor coaching adjustments - both offense and defense

4. Poor tackling on defense

5. Tyrod Taylor's fatal flaws (needs too much time to find receivers, won't take chances/throw the receiver open, refuses to throw the ball away)

6. Shady's injury / no quality backup (Tubby Tolbert stinks)

1. Trench Battles - Both the OLine and DLine were beat up and had their lunch money taken away

2. Turnovers

5. Tyrod Taylor's fatal flaws (needs too much time to find receivers, won't take chances/throw the receiver open, refuses to throw the ball away)

Tyrod ain't make them bench Miller.

2. Turnovers

Fair, but no blame on McDermott?

#1, O-line

#2, Tackling

#3, Lost the turnover battle

Bills giving up way too many yards this year. Doesn't bode well moving forward. When they don't get turnovers, look what happens

Edited by Mr. Negative

1. Poor Defense

2. Tyrod Taylor. Holding on to the ball way to long and too much, taking too many sacks resulting in almost a 10 yrd loss each time.

3.Play calling. Dennison awful play calling.

4. Same Ol Bills. A game your supposed to have and you get your ass handed to you.

1. Poor Defense

2. Tyrod Taylor. Holding on to the ball way to long and too much, taking too many sacks resulting in almost a 10 yrd loss each time.

3.Play calling. Dennison awful play calling.

4. Same Ol Bills. A game your supposed to have and you get your ass handed to you.

Didn't matter what plays they called Ducasse was getting whipped off the snap on almost every play.

1) First home game after terrorist attack. You can't compete with the energy the home team gets off that. As I said in another thread, refer to the 2006 home opener for New Orleans, their first game back in the super dome after Katrina.

1) First home game after terrorist attack. You can't compete with the energy the home team gets off that. As I said in another thread, refer to the 2006 home opener for New Orleans, their first game back in the super dome after Katrina.

Little bit different though.

A terrorist attack is an isolated incident that effected a relatively small number of people. Katrina destroyed people's homes and lives and basically ruined the city for millions of people

Edited by billsfan11

1 - Run Defense

Our tackling was terrible and the Jets ran all over us. I really miss the high-energy version of Marcel Dareus from yesteryear, because he would have really helped last night.

2 - Offensive Game Plan

It was frustrating to watch our RB's run into stacked boxes all night. I was looking forward the half time adjustments, because I thought we had adjusted well in earlier games. Instead, we started the third quarter with two unsuccessful runs into the gut of the Jet defense. The Jets were determined to stop the run and consistently pushed the OT's back to eliminate Tyrod's escape routes. We needed to take what the defense gave us last night, which was the quick hit passing game. This is not an area where we've been successful before, so I can't be sure that it would have worked either, but with so few defenders left in coverage, there must have been shots to be taken.

3 - Offensive Line Play

These guys were pushed around all night long. Couldn't run block... couldn't pass protect. Tyrod had almost no time to throw. Ducasse and Mills were manhandled and I would gladly sign a petition to elevate Groy and Dawkins to the starting line.

4 - Team Discipline

What was a refreshing change this season after the Wrex years was the drastic reduction in penalties. Too many penalties punctuated by the Hughes 15 yd personal foul on a play that the reply would have likely resulted in a forth down and punt by the Jets.

5 - Ball Control

The fumble by Matthews was caused in his effort of reaching for a first down. I can understand the motivation to reach for the first, but the fumble was costly. The fumble by O'Leary was simply a lack of awareness following a fantastic catch. He simply can't ruin such a great play in that way. I honestly don't remember the third fumble, but I think it was Tyrod.

I'm an admitted Kool Aid drinker and don't like to focus on the negative so much, so for my own sanity, here are the things that I liked last night...

1 - Zay Jones

Zay had his second straight game showing the great hands we heard so much about in college. He ran a really nice rout on the TD catch. I hope his injury isn't as bad is it looked when I saw it.

2 - Tyrod Taylor

I know that I will get beat up for this view, because the team can't lose when a QB plays well. Tyrod played well under immense pressure, completing almost 75% of his passes and no INT's and a few nice deep throws. With the O-Line play, he needed a Brady-like 1.7 sec throwing time and no one is mistaking Tyrod for Brady. I agree with other posters that Tyrod needs to be given the authority to audible out of the called play, when the defense alignment calls for it. 2-3 of his sacks could have been avoided by throwing the ball away, so this is a weak positive point.

3 - ....

Sorry, that's all I've got and, admittedly, Tyrod wasn't a superstar. He just didn't play terrible, considering the duress he was under, which is all it took to look good last night.

We are better as the underdogs, so maybe this will keep our team's heads on securely in preparation for the Saints game.

Edited by Forward Progress

1 - Run Defense

Our tackling was terrible and the Jets ran all over us. I really miss the high-energy version of Marcel Dareus from yesteryear, because he would have really helped last night.

2 - Offensive Game Plan

It was frustrating to watch our RB's run into stacked boxes all night. I was looking forward the half time adjustments, because I thought we had adjusted well in earlier games. Instead, we started the third quarter with two unsuccessful runs into the gut of the Jet defense. The Jets were determined to stop the run and consistently pushed the OT's back to eliminate Tyrod's escape routes. We needed to take what the defense gave us last night, which was the quick hit passing game. This is not an area where we've been successful before, so I can't be sure that it would have worked either, but with so few defenders left in coverage, there must have been shots to be taken.

3 - Offensive Line Play

These guys were pushed around all night long. Couldn't run block... couldn't pass protect. Tyrod had almost no time to throw. Ducasse and Mills were manhandled and I would gladly sign a petition to elevate Groy and Dawkins to the starting line.

4 - Team Discipline

What was a refreshing change this season after the Wrex years was the drastic reduction in penalties. Too many penalties punctuated by the Hughes 15 yd personal foul on a play that the reply would have likely resulted in a forth down and punt by the Jets.

5 - Ball Control

The fumble by Matthews was caused in his effort of reaching for a first down. I can understand the motivation to reach for the first, but the fumble was costly. The fumble by O'Leary was simply a lack of awareness following a fantastic catch. He simply can't ruin such a great play in that way. I honestly don't remember the third fumble, but I think it was Tyrod.

I'm an admitted Kool Aid drinker and don't like to focus on the negative so much, so for my own sanity, here are the things that I liked last night...

1 - Zay Jones

Zay had his second straight game showing the great hands we heard so much about in college. He ran a really nice rout on the TD catch. I hope his injury isn't as bad is it looked when I saw it.

2 - Tyrod Taylor

I know that I will get beat up for this view, because the team can't lose when a QB plays well. Tyrod played well under immense pressure, completing almost 75% of his passes and no INT's and a few nice deep throws. With the O-Line play, he needed a Brady-like 1.7 sec throwing time and no one is mistaking Tyrod for Brady. I agree with other posters that Tyrod needs to be given the authority to audible out of the called play, when the defense alignment calls for it.

3 - ....

Sorry, that's all I've got and, admittedly, Tyrod wasn't a superstar. He just didn't play terrible, which is all it took to look good last night.

We are better as the underdogs, so maybe this will keep our team's heads on securely in preparation for the Saints game.

Good and we'll thought out post. Pretty much agree with everything you said

2. Turnovers

That's pretty much spot on

Wow,this isn't in order, but the game was lost due to the Bills playing the opposite of how they've been playing.

Too many costly penalties!

Terrible QG protection and RB blocking!

The worst tackling this year!

Terrible field position!

Why the heck was Hyde catching punts? Did he fair catch them all?

Go Bills!!!

Little bit different though.

A terrorist attack is an isolated incident that effected a relatively small number of people. Katrina destroyed people's homes and lives and basically ruined the city for millions of people

As to the number of people directly affected you are of course correct. As to the mindset of the community, the effects were similar.

2. Turnovers

Perfect analysis. Can I just copy n paste...

1. Fumbles - on the upside, cost us 17 points. Should have got FG before 1/2. O'Leary fumble on Jets 30. Could have got points there. Hotrod's fumble gave Jets ball inside 10 where they got a TD.

2. Defense - sloppy arm taclking. Dropping a for sure pick on Jets 30. Can't stop the run. No pass rush. Guys forgetting the process and dogging it.

3. Offensive line stunk up the joint in run and pass blocking.

4. No viable backup for McCoy. How can you get a running team with only 1 good RB?

5. Shoulda played Kelvin.