The Indy Star's brutal takedown of the Colts

YoloinOhio

You thought TBN was negative

Https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/10/22/colts-pointing-fingers-clueless-t-y-hilton-and-hopeless-colts/786085001/

New General Manager Chris Ballard has done very little to help the situation, either. He completely turned over the defense 11 new starters from last years opener to this one, though Vontae Davis return really means 10 new starters and look what happened on Sunday. Jacksonville, playing with Bortles but without its two best offensive players (running back Leonard Fournette, left tackle Cam Robinson), gained 518 yards.

The Star isnt wrong per se, but Indys defense wasnt very good before the massive turnover, and their previous GM was a widely hated buffoon. Not sure I would heap this much scorn on the new front office this early, especially with the franchise QB perpetually injured - which, by the way, is partially the result of Grigsons ignoring their offensive line.

The Star isnt wrong per se, but Indys defense wasnt very good before the massive turnover, and their previous GM was a widely hated buffoon. Not sure I would heap this much scorn on the new front office this early, especially with the franchise QB perpetually injured - which, by the way, is partially the result of Grigsons ignoring their offensive line.

Be careful to never blame Kim Jung QB for anything.

Brissett was sacked 10 times for 64 yards yesterday. That's more than

Case Keenum has been sacked in 6 games

Drew Brees has been sacked in 6 games

Marcus Mariota has been sacked in 6 games

Dak Prescott has been sacked in 6 games

Kirk Cousins has been sacked in 5 games

Jameis Winston has been sacked in 6 games

and Mitch Trubisky has been sacked in 3 games

It's equal to

Philip Rivers in 7 games

Jared Goff in 7 games

and Big Ben in 7 games

Brissett was sacked 10 times for 64 yards yesterday. That's more than

Case Keenum has been sacked in 6 games

Drew Brees has been sacked in 6 games

Marcus Mariota has been sacked in 6 games

Dak Prescott has been sacked in 6 games

Kirk Cousins has been sacked in 5 games

Jameis Winston has been sacked in 6 games

and Mitch Trubisky has been sacked in 3 games

It's equal to

Philip Rivers in 7 games

Jared Goff in 7 games

and Big Ben in 7 games

Brissett was sacked 10 times

No shout out to

TT was sacked 3 games

:nana: just busting chops

But Brisset was THE Man !!!!

Wait....so tanking for a franchise QB didnt work?

It worked in 2012, 2013 and 2014 for the Colts. I wouldn't necessarily say it's been a failure. Taking a team to a conference championship game is generally considered a success. And three straight playoff appearances is generally considered a success too. The Colts current struggles don't really have anything to do with tanking for Luck. Five whole seasons have gone by since then.

I like that guy Mack, he runs hard.

I'm leaning on Mack to take over down the stretch for my fantasy team. Still obviously a rookie especially with regards to pass pro, but he's a good runner.

This article is brutal. Bad on TY though.

TY is the best player on the team, and one of the best deep threats in the game.

He shouldn't be pointing fingers like that, but I thought the article was overly critical of him.

The same problems Manning dealt with for a decade still effect the Colts to this day. Garbage offensive line, terrible defense and subpar coaching.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

It worked in 2012, 2013 and 2014 for the Colts. I wouldn't necessarily say it's been a failure. Taking a team to a conference championship game is generally considered a success. And three straight playoff appearances is generally considered a success too. The Colts current struggles don't really have anything to do with tanking for Luck. Five whole seasons have gone by since then.

in Indy it's considered such a success they hang banners proclaiming conference championship participants IIRC.

There are times were the negativity is deserved. I don't know if I would be as negative on a GM before the first half of his first season is over, but they have been very bad and it isn't because luck isn't playing.

Although for the top/winning franchises, conference championship games aren't celebrated unless they are won, otherwise it's considered a failure. It's only the losing teams out of the playoffs that sit there and say what a great accomplishment it is to be playing in it. The difference between the Pats and the Colts in the AFC is that the Pats would continue to try and make the rest of the team better around Brady while the Colts seemed to just sit back and say "we have manning/luck, we don't need anything else"

But both teams made the playoffs the past 17 years. That automatically puts them above the Bills

so one "one and done" playoff appearance over more then 17 years with the rest struggling to win more then a handful of games is better then at least hovering around .500 the entire time but not making the playoffs just to be beat out in that game?

I would much rather have a team that at least still has a chance at the playoffs hovering around .500 every year then a team that's usually eliminated from playoff talk before the season even starts.....

TY is the best player on the team, and one of the best deep threats in the game.

He shouldn't be pointing fingers like that, but I thought the article was overly critical of him.

The same problems Manning dealt with for a decade still effect the Colts to this day. Garbage offensive line, terrible defense and subpar coaching.

I mean, the article was definitely painting it on a little, but pointing fingers like that is destructive to the fabric of the team, though in this case that fabric is probably well worn already.

in Indy it's considered such a success they hang banners proclaiming conference championship participants IIRC.

There are times were the negativity is deserved. I don't know if I would be as negative on a GM before the first half of his first season is over, but they have been very bad and it isn't because luck isn't playing.

Although for the top/winning franchises, conference championship games aren't celebrated unless they are won, otherwise it's considered a failure. It's only the losing teams out of the playoffs that sit there and say what a great accomplishment it is to be playing in it.

I agree. I'm pointing out that I wouldn't call Andrew Luck and the success he has had in his career thus far a failure. If we do that, I believe we would also have to call other franchise QBs like Rivers and Stafford failures. I don't really see a lot of people making those arguments though. And Matt Ryan's playoff success was very similar to Luck's before last season and Ryan has been in the league much longer than Luck.

Their franchise QB has been perpetually injured because he's been sacked/hit so much. Even franchise QBs need protection.

It worked because Luck, like Aaron Rodgers, made up for many of the deficiencies on the team. The Colts still had some talent reserve left over from the Polian years, too, ... and the other teams in the AFCS mostly sucked. Virtually all that talent is long gone now, and the rest of the AFCS has improved.

Exactly this. :thumbsup: If Indy was still in the AFCE as it used to be, likely neither Peyton nor Luck could have gotten them into the playoffs ...

Wait....so tanking for a franchise QB didnt work?

Yep, I’ve often thought that Indy was maybe the luckiest franchise in the world. They go from Manning to Luck. The Bills have faced 17 years of irrelevance because of the cast of sad QB’s that have run through town. Indy was able to draft the only consensus NFL QB that came up of college in the period immediately rolling Manning’s injury.

This wreaks of spoiled children syndrome. They went from Peyton to Luck and except for the year where 1-15 required them to be in order to get Luck, they immediately went to the playoffs in his Rookie year. Then, the bewildered GM started trading for aging players, like Luck was Brady in the twilight of his career, and now the NEW GM gets the blame that the turn around isn't fast enough....yeesh, give the new GM some time to put pieces in place. This isn't baseball, you can't just plug-and-play....it's why the NFL is far more complex and beautiful as a team sport (IMHO).....and why there is so much more failure than success.

He did get Brissett at last minute and he did make some other good changes....people in Indy need to be patient....not 17 years without a playoff game patient, but a standard 2-3 full YEARS, not just seasons, patient....

I think Ballard should be given a chance to turn things around. But I think it was a mistake for Irsay not to fire Pagano and Grigson at the same time.

Irsay doesn't know how to run a team and needed a guy like Bill Polian in place at Team President.

Yea Ballard came in well respected and thought in the NFL. He has had a few months and 7 games to make an impact with Luck out thanks to Grigsons awful O line construction.

I never understood why Pagano wasn't given the pink slip either. Just seems like delaying the inevitable plus the fans unrest only grows with each loss by the current coach.

Exactly this. :thumbsup: If Indy was still in the AFCE as it used to be, likely neither Peyton nor Luck could have gotten them into the playoffs ...

Mannings team would have been in, not a concern. That offense was ridiculous.

NBC had quite the sloberfest whenever they met in the playoffs, it be even worse if it was a divisional matchup.

I think Luck is very overrated and only has a postseason record since the division was terrible for years.

Are those your goals for our team?

(Im not trying to be a jerk.....just want to see where your mindset is)