Jordan Matthews Thumb Injury Update: Active vs. TB

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought this would be the case but he is probably the most important player for the offense. Seems to have a knack for making plays and doesn't need alot of opportunities to be successful. His presence hopefully help take some burden off Zay Jones and let him grow. The team desperately needs for jones mature into a pro Wr. I feel like i have said the same thing regarding him every week thus far.

Matthews potentially coming back plus the addition of Thompson gives the offense a whole new look this week, which will be needed with Clay out.

I love Thompson coming back because it gives us a speed/deep threat on the field we havent had all season except Clay

We cant stretch defenses horizontally every play....sometimes you need to do it vertically

The issue has little to do with catching. Catching is easy.

It's the blocking and falling where the doctors would be most worried. That's where he would extend and torque the ligament.

Probably why we aren't hearing anything about Humber.

May play a limited role on obvious passing downs.

@MatthewFairburn

Jordan Matthews got in a full practice on Friday for the Bills.

@JonScottTV

Jordan Matthews listed as questionable for Sunday. Said after practice today he feels good. E.J. Gaines/Leonard Johnson also questionable

Maybe they save him for second half if the running game isn't working in the first half. Put him in if they need to start throwing the ball more. If his hand isn't in shape to run block, then he shouldn't be out there. Don't need to aggravate the injury. Will need him for sure in the coming weeks.

Maybe they save him for second half if the running game isn't working in the first half. Put him in if they need to start throwing the ball more. If his hand isn't in shape to run block, then he shouldn't be out there. Don't need to aggravate the injury. Will need him for sure in the coming weeks.

Doesn't sound that way to me. At a minimum, I see him being used on 3rd downs and in the red zone with a full practice under his belt today.

The Bills play a mixture of coverages including man.

Ej Gaines rated out as I believe one of the worst man-cover corners in the league last year, if memory serves me correctly... not denying he has been solid this year, but I don't think he is shutting down, or even stifling Mike Evans.

Ej Gaines rated out as I believe one of the worst man-cover corners in the league last year, if memory serves me correctly... not denying he has been solid this year, but I don't think he is shutting down, or even stifling Mike Evans.

He has a good history when matched up against Evans.

Gaines with a Safety over the top in that Zone we run, considering how well he has played this year, is a hell of a lot better option than the other guys we put on the field outside of White.

Didn't Gaines shut down Evans in college?

He did and also did well against him with the Rams.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/bucs-mike-evans-bills-cornerback-gaines-could-face-off-again/2341658

But Evans and Gaines go back a while -- they faced each other in college, when Evans played at Texas A&M and Gaines was at Missouri, and Gaines helped hold Evans to a career-low 8 receiving yards on four catches in a Missouri win. Evans went to the Bucs in the first round in 2014 and Gaines was drafted by the Rams in the sixth round, which led to him questioning why Evans would go so much higher than he did.

"To see him go in the first round and see me go in the sixth is a little crazy to me," he told ESPN that summer, saying that "God has a plan for me and Mike Evans."

The two met again in their second NFL game, both starting as rookies, and while St. Louis shifted their coverage around, the Rams pulled out a 19-17 win on a last-minute field goal, and Evans was limited to four catches for 49 yards, while Gaines had five tackles. The Bucs have faced the Rams twice since and Evans has played well -- nine catches for 157 in 2015, and 10 for 132 and a touchdown last season, but Gaines was sidelined by injuries in both games.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I hope Jordan Matthews gets more involved with the offense and increases production. I think he will get in rhythm at some point this season. I've only seen some of his highlights from Philly, but talk to any Eagles fans, and they're all high on Matthews.

Listening to him on WGR talk about his mindset with overcoming the injury, how he's been working in the meantime to work with his left hand for catches, his eyes and focus, and his overall competitive and positive mindset about it... you love to hear that from a player. Completely different from how you'd hear Sammy talk about injuries and production.

Jordan has made me a fan before he's even done anything with the Bills, but his optimistic is contagious. Hope he gets going in the next two weeks.

Edited by LA Grant

I hope Jordan Matthews gets more involved with the offense and increases production. I think he will get in rhythm at some point this season. I've only seen some of his highlights from Philly, but talk to any Eagles fans, and they're all high on Matthews.

Listening to him on WGR talk about his mindset with overcoming the injury, how he's been working in the meantime to work with his left hand for catches, his eyes and focus, and his overall competitive and positive mindset about it... you love to hear that from a player. Completely different from how you'd hear Sammy talk about injuries and production.

Jordan has made me a fan before he's even done anything with the Bills, but his optimistic is contagious. Hope he gets going in the next two weeks.

He has already endeared himself with a good portion of the fanbase, the only ones he hasn't won over are the ones who can't quit Sammy.

I hope we end up bringing him back next year as the primary alot WR. He's a great teammate and locker room leader that most teams want to have.

I think Matthews will be out there but not targeted much. Look for them to go to him early to try to show he isn't a decoy and then only come back to him if and when things get tight and the game is on the line. 4 for 38 but 3 of those 4 for 1st downs is my prediction.